Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Giants - Failed to take advantage of the falling Giant!

zCommander

9 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Teams dont change the ENTIRE FO during the first offseason due to their season ending at the draft essentially. Teams dont allow their scouts make lateral moves during that year. So most of our scouts and some of the player personnel people will be staying through this offseason. By july/august hopefully everyone is gone 

The post you are quoting says exactly what you just said.

• Thanks 1

Just now, PlayAction said:

No.  Why would they?  The Giants' pass rush was destroying the OL for the entire first half.  EB didn't call any screen plays and the few running plays were straight into the strength of the defense.

That's what was killing me -- the Giants might have the best DT tandem in the league, and that's where we direct the runs, right at them?  Other teams were hitting the Giants with outzone zone exploting their edge rushers who are bad against the run.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nope.  He runs the ball way too much with a run game which can’t run the ball.  Every time we run, we have to punt.  Because we average about 2 yards a carry on runs not by RBs.  

That’s not going to get better.  The OL gets no push.  So….

Do other things. 

To this offense, run = punt.  

The thing is you have to vary when you run, EB is way to predictable. Quick slant to Terry on first down picks up six yards puts you in a down and distance that has the defense guessing. It opens up the run, gets TM involved early and doesn't put reassure on the O line and Howell. Its so damn predictable what EB is calling and it puts the entire offense on the back front. Go hurry up...do something to help them out.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My guess is somebody will get the job who will run 10 time in a row for a 1 yard average to “commit to the run.”  

Wait.  If we’re going to do yay, just keep EB because that’s what we’re doing.

But everybody wants to run the ball. 

I get it.  My approach is unique in the fact it’s been the way Reid has become the winningest coach for both the Eagles and the Chiefs.  

But sure.  Keep running yourself into 2nd and 9 all you want. 

I know you are kind of joking but I’m the last guy on here to get on to about wanting to run on first down. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's what was killing me -- the Giants might have the best DT tandem in the league, and that's where we direct the runs, right at them?  Other teams were hitting the Giants with outzone zone exploting their edge rushers who are bad against the run.

It’s not exactly rocket science is it.

• Like 1

Outside of their punter, the Washington Commanders had little else here Sunday in a 14-7 loss to the New York Giants that made a team that started the day 1-5, with a decimated offensive line and an injured starting quarterback, look like a Super Bowl contender.

The score is deceiving; the game was disastrous enough to make Washington’s loss to the previously winless Chicago Bears two weeks ago seem almost normal. Maybe this is who the Commanders are: a team that can compete occasionally but that too often disappoints in games it should win. Washington has a habit of falling behind early and waiting until the start of the second half, if not later, to pull it together, sending the offense into catch-up mode and leaving the defense pressured to make big plays.

“It’s been seven f---ing years of the same s---,” defensive tackle Jonathan Allen said. “I’m tired of this s---.”

The blame falls on everyone — especially Washington’s porous offensive line and a coaching staff that seemed to stick too long to a game plan that repeatedly failed.

The trouble started at the outset, when quarterback Sam Howell was sacked on his first dropback, and left tackle Charles Leno Jr. followed with a false start penalty. The Giants’ defensive linemen repeatedly pushed back and ran over Washington’s offensive line, whose play was responsible for the majority of the six sacks on Howell. He has taken 40 on the season and is on pace to finish with 97.

Three of Howell’s five first-half sacks came on third down.

“This is what they do — they bring pressure on third down,” right tackle Andrew Wylie said. “And plain and simple, we weren’t picking it up.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/22/commanders-giants-loss-howell-sacks/

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’d cut all the RBs.

no need to even have it as an option.  

(please everybody see the sarcasm in these posts.  Please)

I follow now.  But considering you are typically vocally anti-run. -- an extremiest position that doubles down on that sort of flows with that, so it was hard for me to pick up on the sarcasm.

• Like 1

Just now, MartinC said:

I HATE that play. 

God, so do I. BRob tried to cut it back, but it was blown up.

Go off tackle, don't run out of gun and let BRob hit the line with some steam and a pulling guard. Do that a bunch.

Hate this running out of gun crap. Maybe if we had a small quick back, but we have straight ahead bruisers. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Pretty much. Does EB even calls run plays that go right or left? Having BRob run up the middle for a yard or no gain is not going to work with our OL. 

yes he does on rare occasions.  They work fairly well

• Like 1

Justin Pugh was called for holding. If the Commanders had declined the penalty, the Giants would have had to choose between going for it on fourth and goal from the 2-yard line and kicking a field goal; by accepting the penalty, Washington gave the Giants two downs to get the ball into the end zone, which they did on a 15-yard dart to Darren Waller on third down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/22/commanders-giants-loss-howell-sacks/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Plenty here were out on Ron after this pathetic off season.

There were folks all along the spectrum re: Ron heading into the season. 88comrade was arguably the most full-throated and certain about a particularly disastrous start to the season followed by Ron’s quick dismissal (though IIRC he somewhat backed off on that prediction). He caught a lot of flak for taking such a strong position.

Nevertheless, he was more or less right as Rivera has lost the locker room and is conspicuously a dead man walking by Week 7. There’s no fight and no hope — this is probably the worst 3-4 team in the league right now.

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

It’s time for all of us who poked fun to admit that @88Comrade2000 was more or less right about Ron and this season.

He wasn’t the only one screaming about this all offseason.  I was a broken record at times with regards to my disgust of this coaching staff, the O-Line and the offseason acquisitions.  It’s gone exactly to form.  Everything we warned about is either happening or has happened.  Anyone who wasn’t a gigantic homer could see this coming.  I’m only watching these games to see how Howell progresses.  I don’t give a damn about the rest of this team (save for a few players) or our results in these games.  I know that we’ll be getting our teeth kicked in in most of these games.  I just want to see if we have our franchise QB or not.

• Like 3

I didn’t mind kicking the FG that everyone said was gutless.  I felt like in such a tight game, you take the points.  But of course in typical Ders fashion, they can’t take anything.

The 3rd down penalty though, I’m declining that all day.  Its not like it put them out of FG range.  No idea why you take that penalty.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

It’s time for all of us who poked fun to admit that @88Comrade2000 was more or less right about Ron and this season.

Ron lost me last year when he traded for Wentz instead of building the OL. So this year he is going to lose his job. I am only mad that Howell might not be able to show what he can really do with a decent OL. I guess you can put a good play caller as well on that list. Ron was trying to save face when he fired Turner. So this year it is whatever at this point. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Justin Pugh was called for holding. If the Commanders had declined the penalty, the Giants would have had to choose between going for it on fourth and goal from the 2-yard line and kicking a field goal; by accepting the penalty, Washington gave the Giants two downs to get the ball into the end zone, which they did on a 15-yard dart to Darren Waller on third down.

Of all the things to criticize the team for today, that decision wouldn’t be anywhere close. 

• Like 2