Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Giants - Failed to take advantage of the falling Giant!

zCommander

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Sam misread the coverage on the pick. He thought it was Cover 1. It was Cover 3. He thought he had Dotson wide open and didn’t account for the corner falling back to that deep third under the throw. Bad read.

Dotson needs to grow a pair and come back to the football.  At least break up the pick.  That pick is as much on Dotson as Howell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

In Howells presser he was asked about the early play calling. He basically said we had a game plan and stuck to the initial scripted plays. Are there no contingencys built in if things don't work the way you planned? This has been an issue all year, EB does not make adjustments early, he sticks with what he does way too long 

Right? Like you'd think he'd say to himself "EB the DC who loves to constantly blitz everyone is blitzing us a lot and we didn't see that coming. Should we do anything different? No EB, let's play our game".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Daniel.redskins said:

Dotson needs to grow a pair and come back to the football.  At least break up the pick.  That pick is as much on Dotson as Howell. 

I think Dotson needs to focus on being able to catch before worrying about how to run routes or help the qb on bad throws.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juan1812 said:

1 sorta-bubble screen to Terry late in the game. EB doesn't run crosses, or scheme receivers open. EB is not a good OC.

And that is as an audible by Howell. Saw pressure coming from his right and called that with a hand signal. 

By my count we ran two called screens all game. Against a team blitzing us pretty much every snap. Inexcusable. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Okay, we all have our own way that we watch the sport and engage with it. No shade. But if you’re more interested in just having football to watch and talk about for an extra week whenever possible, rather than being willing to take a step backwards to have a chance to witness something special, your consistent comfort with the status quo makes a lot more sense. 

Your statement that you’re not comfortable with the status quo yet still actively engaging is, in my opinion, not dissimilar. I’m by no means suggesting you’re wrong; I acknowledge that I lean toward the extreme on the opposite end of the spectrum, and it’s not the norm.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

To put in perspective the difference in our viewing ethos, I’d rather watch this team go 2-15 for the next 5 years but then go to the Super Bowl than just watch a lifetime of 7-10 to 10-7 wildcard loss football all the time (note: this is not how I think it HAS to happen—simply an extreme example of a process I’d prefer watching to the .500 status quo).

You make a good point, and I concur that witnessing something special holds increased value for both the fan and the fanatical fan’s family. I’d much rather have my nine-year-old watch winning football than not; I’ve avoided having him watch to prevent wasting his Sundays, haha.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

There is no benefit to watching mediocre/average football to me if there’s no hope for something more. Watching this team and knowing exactly what to expect and what errors to expect for over a decade straight now, there’s nothing enjoyable about it. The idea that you could take a step back, reset, and build a young fast explosive high ceiling team with the right FO/coaching staff is where the hope lies for me. Not in the idea that a predictably mediocre team could have a small chance at catching lightning in the bottle if they can just maybe squeak into the wildcard round. 

Washington has indeed had its fair share of poor to mediocre seasons over the years, and I won’t deny that. The RG3 season was truly magical, even with a wild card berth. It’s clear that the ceiling was different that season, largely due to having a quarterback who consistently reached an elite level of impact throughout the year.

I want to make it clear that I’m not rooting against something special or a Super Bowl season arising from seasons of mediocrity. My stance on Ron has been somewhat moderate, especially in the early days, for many of the same reasons that others have begun to question him over the last season or two. I completely understand the arguments about him and the coaching staff. I share the desire for elite performance in all areas as much as anyone, and I’ve often engaged in debates over the years about not settling for average and going all-in on elite.

I admit that I’m less passionate about the front office side of things because I believe that most people don’t truly understand front office personnel. As fans, we can see the product on the field and provide context based on real observations of players and coaches.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Everyone on the planet knows Martingdale brings pressure. It seemed to come as a surprise to EB.

Like I said the game plan was awful. But then the failure to adjust was mind boggling. 

People make mistakes, not learning from them and repeating them is one of the worst ones possible...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Meh. Dotson could maybe have helped his QB out - but I’m putting that one squarely on Howell.

Dotson though has to catch that last ball on the 4th down. Has to. 

3 minutes ago, Juan1812 said:

1 sorta-bubble screen to Terry late in the game. EB doesn't run crosses, or scheme receivers open. EB is not a good OC.

Glad you brought up the crossing routes cause I noticed this. If I'm the OC for Howell I give him a crossing route on EVERY pass play! He needs that route as a security blanket. It should be a fixture in this offense. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Conn said:

Like 3-5 teams do this every offseason in the NFL. Sometimes it goes badly. But it’s not some unheard of feat. It’s normal when you’re rebooting an entire organization. Harris as the new owner having the entire season to observe and scheme is if anything the anomaly. Owners don’t sell often, but when they do the new guy usually get in in time to make drastic changes right away. 

Changing the entire office and coaching staff, top to bottom, in a single offseason? That doesn't seem like a normal occurrence. 

1 minute ago, profusion said:

Changing the entire office and coaching staff, top to bottom, in a single offseason? That doesn't seem like a normal occurrence. 

You start at the top. If you are hiring a team president who will hire a GM. Then this offseason is about that and that President/GM finding their HC. Maybe you keep some scouts and other worker bee roles. But a mass turnover should happen asap. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

People make mistakes, not learning from them and repeating them is one of the worst ones possible...

And it's not like one game, it's the same issues since week 1. I keep thinking that there is no way they keep repeating the same crap each week...but they do. It's frustrating as hell.

Just now, Conn said:

unreal for him

Play to Howells strengths!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Did Howell’s hand get hit on that throw? It looked like the ball came out funky.

The throw that was picked? Don’t think so - he just tried to float a soft pass in because he thought Dotson was so open. He didn’t account for the corner being deep third and falling under the throw. 

8 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

You start at the top. If you are hiring a team president who will hire a GM. Then this offseason is about that and that President/GM finding their HC. Maybe you keep some scouts and other worker bee roles. But a mass turnover should happen asap. 

Well, right, but getting all that done between January and the draft? That seems highly improbable. 

7 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Both his hands got hit.....by the ball.

I screwed that up, was thinking Dotson...hit both his hands. Blaming that one on the Wild Turkey.

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Now you’re just ****ing with me

Thought he was Scottish?

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyway, catch me up. Have people started revolting against Howell yet?

He’s so far from being the problem. 

1 minute ago, profusion said:

Well, right, but getting all that done between January and the draft? That seems highly improbable. 

Happens a lot. 

In hiring the GM he will already have his network and most of his staff lined up to come in. Same when you hire the HC.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1