Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Giants - Failed to take advantage of the falling Giant!

zCommander

2 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

If ownership intends on firing the entire coaching staff in the offseason, including EB, there’s no point in jettisoning Ron mid-season because there are no viable candidates worth giving the interim role right now, but if the owner wants to give EB a trial period before making a decision on him after the season, this is the best time to pull the trigger.

Just say NO to EB being HC.  He calls a horrible game.

35 minutes ago, profusion said:

Changing the entire office and coaching staff, top to bottom, in a single offseason? That doesn't seem like a normal occurrence. 

21 minutes ago, profusion said:

Well, right, but getting all that done between January and the draft? That seems highly improbable. 

I don’t really get what your hang up with it is. Teams literally do it every offseason when a new GM is hired. That usually coincides with the GM also replacing the coach. The on-the-ground scouting staff never really gets replaced until after the draft—the timetable (and the contract dates) for scouts are pushed back compared to everyone else for that reason, and that’s normal. But cleaning house everywhere else is very common. 

Now, whether you make the right hires, that’s another thing entirely. But it happens all the time. 

The business side shakeup that will also likely happen here due to the new ownership—that doesn’t happen as often.  But it also has nothing to do with what you’re talking about on the football side so in that sense, it doesn’t really matter. Whole different operation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Surprising no one I feel like we showed too much respect the Giants OL and backup QB, and our DL, and didn't feel the need to attack more at the LOS. 

Oh I was saying that being aggressive should be part of the defensive game plan before the game started.

But Del Rio just doesn’t play aggressively. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some were dislike Chris Russell.   But to me he had a really good line just now.  He was in the locker room and was driving home but just now on the radio.  This team need a hair on fire mentality.  They don't have it and I know they don't have it.

Hell they know they don’t have it. I don’t even think they want it. I hate to keep blaming Ron but they really do reflect his calm, almost aloof attitude. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, profusion said:

Well, right, but getting all that done between January and the draft? That seems highly improbable. 

I think it's probable. Happens when owners turnover a front office. The don't say "you've got 2 offseasons to hire your coaches and player personnel guys". By the you lost those guys to other teams. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Right? Like you'd think he'd say to himself "EB the DC who loves to constantly blitz everyone is blitzing us a lot and we didn't see that coming. Should we do anything different? No EB, let's play our game".

I was thinking the same and then I saw your post. Too bad Howell can't go up to EB and say let's do some of the stuff we did back in college when I had a bad OL my last year at UNC. Like RPOs and quick passing plays. 

But since EB is so high on himself to prove the league he was wrongfully passed over it is actually hurting him for being stubborn. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some were dislike Chris Russell.   But to me he had a really good line just now.  He was in the locker room and was driving home but just now on the radio.  This team need a hair on fire mentality.  They don't have it and I know they don't have it.

Teams take after their HCs. Their HC stands on the sideline with his arm crossed talking to no one 99% of the time. Are we shocked by no fire? Couple it with the choir boys we draft it only exasperates the problem.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t really get what your hang up with it is. Teams literally do it every offseason when a new GM is hired. That usually coincides with the GM also replacing the coach. The on-the-ground scouting staff never really gets replaced until after the draft—the timetable (and the contract dates) for scouts are pushed back compared to everyone else for that reason, and that’s normal. But cleaning house everywhere else is very common. 

Now, whether you make the right hires, that’s another thing entirely. But it happens all the time. 

The business side shakeup that will also likely happen here due to the new ownership—that doesn’t happen as often.  But it also has nothing to do with what you’re talking about on the football side so in that sense, it doesn’t really matter. Whole different operation. 

Teams dont change the ENTIRE FO during the first offseason due to their season ending at the draft essentially. Teams dont allow their scouts make lateral moves during that year. So most of our scouts and some of the player personnel people will be staying through this offseason. By july/august hopefully everyone is gone 

3 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Teams take after their HCs. Their HC stands on the sideline with his arm crossed talking to no one 99% of the time. Are we shocked by no fire? Couple it with the choir boys we draft it only exasperates the problem.

I am usually not that into Doc Walker but I like him in small doses.

Doc is funny on air right now goofing about how this coaching staff can't get this team up for games.  He goes OK maybe the Eagles will get their attention next week.    Their motivation comes and goes.

Football is an emotional sport.    If they can't consistenly get fired up that's on the coaches.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, zCommander said:

I was thinking the same and then I saw your post. Too bad Howell can't go up to EB and say let's do some of the stuff we did back in college when I had a bad OL my last year at UNC. Like RPOs and quick passing plays. 

But since EB is so high on himself to prove the league he was wrongfully passed over it is actually hurting him for being stubborn. 

I don’t think he actually knows what to do. He came in here and brought his Andy Reid light offense and has no idea how it actually works. He has not adjusted yet all season, really. This was basically a one score game all day and his game plan looked exactly like it always did. 

He is driving his dads corvette in the rain and doesn’t know how to turn on the windshield wipers. No vision, no plan. Just gonna drive that ****. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I am usually not that into Doc Walker but I like him in small doses.

Doc is funny on air right now goofing about how this coaching staff can't get this team up for games.  He goes OK maybe the Eagles will get their attention.  Their motivation comes and goes.

Football is an emotional sport.    If they can't consistenly get fired up that's on the coaches.  

Doc is on the opposite side of the old school football. His answer to everything is "punch em in the mouth"

The coin needs smelted down and added to some new coins 

26 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

A big knock on the coaching staff is that players don't seem to get better the longer they are on this team.  In fact it seems the opposite many times.  The longer they are in this system the less explosive and instinctual they seem to play.

Because Ron and Jack beat into them to play the system...

10 minutes ago, Skintime said:

Umm we already are doing that. Are you EB?

Nope.  He runs the ball way too much with a run game which can’t run the ball.  Every time we run, we have to punt.  Because we average about 2 yards a carry on runs not by RBs.  

That’s not going to get better.  The OL gets no push.  So….

Do other things. 

To this offense, run = punt.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Hell they know they don’t have it. I don’t even think they want it. I hate to keep blaming Ron but they really do reflect his calm, almost aloof attitude. 

Yep.   Chris Russell has been around for some time, going back to the Shanny era.  He's in that locker room before and after games and is in camp.  So when he says he knows this isn't a Hair on Fire operation, there is some context behind that since he's been around this team for a long time.

4 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Ron seems checked out.  And I think among other things that team feels that vibe.  To get blown out in the first half by the Bears and Ron doesn't say a word at half time says it all,

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We have your CV - appreciate you coming in. We will let you know.

My guess is somebody will get the job who will run 10 time in a row for a 1 yard average to “commit to the run.”  

Wait.  If we’re going to do yay, just keep EB because that’s what we’re doing.

But everybody wants to run the ball. 

I get it.  My approach is unique in the fact it’s been the way Reid has become the winningest coach for both the Eagles and the Chiefs.  

But sure.  Keep running yourself into 2nd and 9 all you want. 

37 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyway, catch me up. Have people started revolting against Howell yet?

No.  Why would they?  The Giants' pass rush was destroying the OL for the entire first half.  EB didn't call any screen plays and the few running plays were straight into the strength of the defense.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I like how you think, this is why i hope we make moves in the front office immediately. Identify who you want and get them in place to be ready for Black Monday. Start getting the front office in place now so they have time before the draft and free agency to strategize on plans moving forward. 

That's not very realistic. You're not going to hire people who are with other teams at this point of the season. You make it sound like there are FO people waiting at home for that phone call. What Harris can do is put together a list of people he wants to target once the season is over.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 1

When the coach has lost the locker room and is a dead man walking, you have to fire him. There’s no benefit to keeping him around. Elevate an assistant or bring in an outsider to evaluate everyone and make clear they’re playing for their jobs next year. No one is going to play hard for a coach whose opinion is irrelevant.

• Like 1