Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Falcons Fiendishly Feathered

KDawg

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ron will run the script out for his 8-9 season with all hands on deck.  And we ultimately probably let one of them walk in FA.

It's not in this franchises DNA to be sellers at trade deadline and add draft capital. Ron fit Dan's style on that front.  It's one of a slew of reasons why I look forward to a fresh start with him gone.

Only chance is if Harris pushes it which doesn't seem to be his style to interfere.

Oh we aren’t trading either of them. My wish for that was last year because even if we did want to move one of them their return would be less than the compensatory draft pick. 

Backwards thinking.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We got the one lemon in a bucket full of stud young CBs. What a joke.

I am still holding out hope.  But maybe so.  The crazy thing is they didn't have to go secondary so early.  That was the deep spot in the draft. 

It was part of the compalints from me, @KDawg, @Koolblue13, @DWinzit among others as the draft was unfolding and it was clear they weren't getting help at O line and some other spots. 

If they are going to target the draft with a need based approach which Keim spelled out they were clearly doing.  At least be smart about need based drafting and factor the depth in that draft as a variable.

I always give an out as to if they feel a player is a stud then do it regardless of depth or position value.  But in that case you better be right because if you are wrong it makes ignoring the depth much worse.  And that's how its looking at this moment.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me Thomas is the X factor because he's a shut down tackle,  He likely will shut down Chase. Pugh seemed to be OK at times playing the spot last night though he normally is a guard.  But clearly they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink to fix that spot when they are talking players out of retirement, signing another FA last week and considering L. Collins.

But with Thomas out, their line is vulnerable on both edges.  And I think we exploit that.

Barkley gives this team fits normally but they can sell out to stop the run.

Apparently Thomas started practicing about a week ago but had a set back with the hammy. He seemed to be walking on the sideline with a slight limp last night. I doubt he’s back next week. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with them at QB. Taylor played pretty well, they moved the ball at times and he made some downfield throws which have been lacking from their offense. They didn’t score a TD though. I’m not sure it’s a slam dunk they start Jones next Sunday unless he’s fully healthy and able to get a full week of practice.

Their D played really well last night. They gave the Bills fits up front - they will do the same to us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh we aren’t trading either of them. My wish for that was last year because even if we did want to move one of them their return would be less than the compensatory draft pick. 

Backwards thinking.

I think an underrated aspect of the Eagles becoming consistent winners and leapfrogging us during Ron's era is that they actually look ahead and do it well.  They do a nice job with contracts, and are willing (unlike this team) to build draft capital for furture drafts.

reading about Josh Harris, the good news is this approach is in his DNA and culture.  The bad new is its not part of Ron's DNA and culture and he's still in charge.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Apparently Thomas started practicing about a week ago but had a set back with the hammy. He seemed to be walking on the sideline with a slight limp last night. I doubt he’s back next week. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with them at QB. Taylor played pretty well, they moved the ball at times and he made some downfield throws which have been lacking from their offense. They didn’t score a TD though. I’m not sure it’s a slam dunk they start Jones next Sunday unless he’s fully healthy and able to get a full week of practice.

Their D played really well last night. They gave the Bills fits up front - they will do the same to us.

They might be better with Taylor, he only got sacked twice.  I did agree with the broadcast booth guys that its easier though for Taylor because he had Barkley in the lineup.  

Our D line doesn't create havoc typically against good o lines but can feast off of bad ones.  and the Giants especially without Thomas have a bad O line.

I haven't decided yet but for the moment, I think am picking us if Thomas doesn't play but I'd pick them if he does play. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK its been awhile, I didn't recall Banks struggiling with tackling in college but I am likely forgetting.  He was a feisty-phyiscal player in college in coverage.

Not sure though that tackiling is that front burner for this brass though.  Forbes was a willing tackler but it was easy to see he had to throw his whole body to get dudes down in college and that might not translate in the pros considering his size. 

Forbes if I recall as to PFF scores is the worst run defender of any CB in the league.  He's in the 20s which isn't a bad score, its atrocious.  I know Keim said they wre frustrated in the mix about his tackiling.  Judging by Banks PFF score he's been an above average run defender-tackler in the pros thus far.

Banks was a good run defender when he wanted to gut was often disinterested in it. I know draft Reddit/discord really hated that aspect of his 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Chase Young is having a great year as it pertains to pressures, but once again he proved that he just doesn't finish enough to be considered one of the elite pass rushers in the NFL. But instead of focusing on him, I think Casey Toohill, over the time he's been on this roster, has made a play to be the guy they retain over Chase Young long term. Young has much higher upside and explosive potential, but Toohill is steady and this team needs the Young money and resources elsewhere. 

Toohill is a nice rotation piece, but both of the plays he made yesterday were gifts.  The first sack came as a result of being unblocked and having Ridder bootleg to his side while the playcall designed a triple team on Chase, and the second one looked like it came from interior pressure flushing Ridder right into his rush lane.  He did a great job finishing what was set up for him, but the success of those plays was created by the vastly superior players on the left side and middle of the line.

As the year goes on, I think the decision about what to do with our ends will crystalize.  We'll figure out which back ups to keep, and it'll become obvious we need to keep Chase.  I think the next FO will franchise and extend Chase Young because honestly, there is no way they'll be as dumb as this regime has been about him.  If they can come to a reasonable extension with Sweat, they probably will, but he's the weak link in the starting line and doesn't deserve a huge contract like the other three, who are perennial Probowl talents.

• Like 1

I have seen several comments that this win was more like a loss. Having been at thed stadium, I think people are jaded from being able to see things on TV and over analyze every play and movement made by each player in slow motion. Was it a bit sloppy in places? Absolutely. Certainly some head scratching decisions by both coaches (Atlanta coaches should be kicking themselves for over thinking thier strategy - run the ball!). 

I have been watching my neighbors kids games (U12) and I almost forgot how much fun it is to watch football in person. Those little kids are only 10 yrs from what we watch on Sundays. Like those game, this was a fun game to watch live. Some good plays some bad plays and many in between. But overall it was fun. 

The point is a win is a win. Over analysis can find all kinds of things to **** about. But they won! On the road! Road wins in the NFL are not easy to get no matter who you are playing. Maybe we are still suffering from dan syndrome. But again, being there live, this was a fun game to watch. Ok, rant over. 

• Thumb up 1

Another potentially good coaching staff is drowning in a sea of incompetent roster building due to the lack of a legit GM in the building. Just as been the case since Snyder arrived. Time to relieve GM “Ron and co” of its duties and bring in an interim GM. Let Coach Ron focus on coaching while he plays out his final days here. Yay that we won, but it doesn’t really matter much because this team is going nowhere. I’m more focused on if/when we finally put a proper front office structure in place, because then, and only then will I feel like we have finally climbed out of the pit of despair that is the Snyder era. Would love to see the correct structure put in place now, even though significant changes won’t be able to be made until the off-season.

8 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Another potentially good coaching staff is drowning in a sea of incompetent roster building due to the lack of a legit GM in the building. Just as been the case since Snyder arrived. Time to relieve GM “Ron and co” of its duties and bring in an interim GM. Let Coach Ron focus on coaching while he plays out his final days here. Yay that we won, but it doesn’t really matter much because this team is going nowhere. I’m more focused on if/when we finally put a proper front office structure in place, because then, and only then will I feel like we have finally climbed out of the pit of despair that is the Snyder era. Would love to see the correct structure put in place now, even though significant changes won’t be able to be made until the off-season.

Are you talking about us being a good coaching staff?

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I have seen several comments that this win was more like a loss. Having been at thed stadium, I think people are jaded from being able to see things on TV and over analyze every play and movement made by each player in slow motion. Was it a bit sloppy in places? Absolutely. Certainly some head scratching decisions by both coaches (Atlanta coaches should be kicking themselves for over thinking thier strategy - run the ball!). 

I have been watching my neighbors kids games (U12) and I almost forgot how much fun it is to watch football in person. Those little kids are only 10 yrs from what we watch on Sundays. Like those game, this was a fun game to watch live. Some good plays some bad plays and many in between. But overall it was fun. 

The point is a win is a win. Over analysis can find all kinds of things to **** about. But they won! On the road! Road wins in the NFL are not easy to get no matter who you are playing. Maybe we are still suffering from dan syndrome. But again, being there live, this was a fun game to watch. Ok, rant over. 

I’m sure it was more fun in person because we won.  There’s always a bit of euphoria attached to that.

But this was bad coaching vs. bad coaching and somebody had to win.  That was really obvious watching from home.  Squandered timeouts, not getting plays in, unnecessarily going for two, and the list goes on.  

If we were facing a moderately better QB and coach, we lose easily.

• Like 2

Can't disagree with most of the OP. Think it's spot on. I just can't understand some things. Team is schizophrenic. Watched Jets game so maybe the Iggles are just not as good as advertised? IDK. Play Calling is uneven. I'm losing patience with Ron's gambling and play clock management.That 4th Q was hard to watch from an O play calling perspective.Glad for the win, and I think Sam can be the QBOTF with time and better protection. O Line needs fresh talent. Like how the D made adjustments to nab 2 good INT's... 3rd was a gimmie due to QB pressure.Still thinking refs are suspect... I cant understand why/how the calls always seem to be stacked against us. The PI call on an uncatchable ball in the EZ... the other PI where the DB made the same play on the ball that ATL db did with no call... and don't even get me started on how our d line can't seem to draw any O holding on blatantly obvious holding calls... IDK. Just unlucky I guess. DGMW, I'll take the win, but for once, I wish I could walk away from a game in the 4th Q and KNOW a win is locked up.

The fact that a team who was so inept they had to burn a timeout after a spike, a team with other unforgiveable mistakes,  a team that had already turned it over several times was still in the game on their final possession was very unsettling to me. Atlanta did everything they could to give the game away but Washington could not seize the opportunity. This to me was a very concerning victory, if that can be said about a road victory.

I too noticed the players jogging if the play went away from them.  The starters on the DL play too many snaps, they were wearing down. I didn't see the consistent pressure others saw  all game. I saw a bad QB having a clean pocket far too many times for this supposedly great DL.  Chase has his first step explosion, it is evident, yet he still can't sack the QB.  

Commies gave up 5 sacks and we consider that an improvement.  Howell simply has to improve his pocket awareness by a large margin. Why do other mobile QBs escape trouble and ours does not?  Are there open receivers he is not seeing or are his receivers not getting open?

On a positive note the long snapper issue appears to have been resolved and we no longer have something called Dax Milne returning punts.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The fact that a team who was so inept they had to burn a timeout after a spike, a team with other unforgiveable mistakes,  a team that had already turned it over several times was still in the game on their final possession was very unsettling to me. Atlanta did everything they could to give the game away but Washington could not seize the opportunity. This to me was a very concerning victory, if that can be said about a road victory.

I too noticed the players jogging if the play went away from them.  The starters on the DL play too many snaps, they were wearing down. I didn't see the consistent pressure others saw  all game. I saw a bad QB having a clean pocket far too many times for this supposedly great DL.  Chase has his first step explosion, it is evident, yet he still can't sack the QB.  

Commies gave up 5 sacks and we consider that an improvement.  Howell simply has to improve his pocket awareness by a large margin. Why do other mobile QBs escape trouble and ours does not?  Are there open receivers he is not seeing or are his receivers not getting open?

On a positive note the long snapper issue appears to have been resolved and we no longer have something called Dax Milne returning punts.  

Watching back some of the plays (not all) the receivers are not getting separation for the most part. I'm not sure if it's them or EB's insistence to run intermediate and deep routes with them...

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Why do other mobile QBs escape trouble and ours does not? 

He’s not cut from the same cloth as truly mobile QB’s like Hurts, Jackson, etc.  I’m also not saying he can’t get better at feeling the pressure and moving away from it.  But the pocket is regularly chaotic and breaking down in multiple places and fast.  How often do you see him able to stand back there and comfortably go through his reads like you see so many others do every Sunday?  Very rare sight.

• Like 1

The other thing I commented on this weekend is the usage of BRob in the passing game. I am not too much a fan of his in the running game right now, but boy do I love him in the passing game. I don't know if its particularly EB's passing game or just BRob in space because BRob in space means BRobs trucking somebody. He did it last year, and he did it yesterday. Its so fun to watch. He had it earlier this year on a run that got him into space, but these passes get him into space easier. 

I would love to see this develop as an outlet instead of Sam taking the sacks. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m sure it was more fun in person because we won.  There’s always a bit of euphoria attached to that.

But this was bad coaching vs. bad coaching and somebody had to win.  That was really obvious watching from home.  Squandered timeouts, not getting plays in, unnecessarily going for two, and the list goes on.  

If we were facing a moderately better QB and coach, we lose easily.

Right, we WON!!!  Saying it was a win that feels like a loss misses the entire point of watching the sport to begin with, which started a long time ago before the mountain of data avaialable and people forgetting those are actually people on the field, not anamotrons. 

Yes, both coaches made some mistakes. But they also made some good calls. Don't get me wrong, I get this was not a thing of beauty. And I get being critical of the team. I did myself a few pages back. That's fair. But this idea that a win is somehow a loss just makes no sense. 

I will get off my rant after this but it would do a lot of people some good to just sit and enjoy a win for once. 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was screaming about that during the game.  They completely turtles offensively and tried to squat on the lead.  

They need to have the mentality they need to score on every possession and not try and run clock.  Pretend you’re down 10 to start every possession.  Until you are up 3 or more TDs, just keep scoring.  They tried to run too much and we’re just way too conservative.  

They gave Rodriguez 3 consecutive runs to start the drive after they got up 14.  Whst the hell?  That’s announcing you’re trying to kill clock.

I put a lot of that on EB.  But some on Ron.

McVay actually pointed to a specific game when he was calling plays here, a mo day night loss to the Cowboys in 2015, when he said he got too conservative, learned from it, and didn’t have that same approach ever again.  

Hopefully EB learns quickly from this game.  

All the morons saying the defense played well didn’t see the massive number of plays Ridder just didn’t make because he stinks.  If he makes them, the Commanders lose by double digits.  

• Like 4

We got the ball back up 24-10. At that point I would have aggressively pushed the ball downfield to go for the kill shot score. I thought EB would have more of that mindset as well, but instead we went run heavy. In fairness the 3rd team RB(forgot his name. Rodriguez or something?)actually had a couple of nice runs. But then we get shelled for a loss of 1 on 1st and 10 and it goes downhill.

I think that might have been the Rivera effect. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Right, we WON!!!  Saying it was a win that feels like a loss misses the entire point of watching the sport to begin with, which started a long time ago before the mountain of data avaialable and people forgetting those are actually people on the field, not anamotrons. 

Yes, both coaches made some mistakes. But they also made some good calls. Don't get me wrong, I get this was not a thing of beauty. And I get being critical of the team. I did myself a few pages back. That's fair. But this idea that a win is somehow a loss just makes no sense. 

I will get off my rant after this but it would do a lot of people some good to just sit and enjoy a win for once. 

I think you have some bias in the fact that you had a great day out and enjoyed a win in the comfy confines of Mercedes Benz stadium.  That’s always going to be fun and something to enjoy.

Perhaps I’ve seen this movie too many times before.  But watching from home, it felt like a game between too middling teams trying their damndest to lose.  Particularly the final 28 minutes of the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was screaming about that during the game.  They completely turtles offensively and tried to squat on the lead.  

They need to have the mentality they need to score on every possession and not try and run clock.  Pretend you’re down 10 to start every possession.  Until you are up 3 or more TDs, just keep scoring.  They tried to run too much and we’re just way too conservative.  

They gave Rodriguez 3 consecutive runs to start the drive after they got up 14.  Whst the hell?  That’s announcing you’re trying to kill clock.

I put a lot of that on EB.  But some on Ron.

McVay actually pointed to a specific game when he was calling plays here, a mo day night loss to the Cowboys in 2015, when he said he got too conservative, learned from it, and didn’t have that same approach ever again.  

Hopefully EB learns quickly from this game.  

All the morons saying the defense played well didn’t see the massive number of plays Ridder just didn’t make because he stinks.  If he makes them, the Commanders lose by double digits.  

Why if anything you don't like happens on offense, you blame Ron? Ron does nothing. It's all EB.

And commending a defense that took Atlantas strength, the run game and shut it down, forcing Ridder to throw quickly from constant pressure, which forced 3 turnovers means we're all morons? 

You have some of the worst takes on this board and zero accountability. You love Eric Beiniemy and he can do no wrong in your eyes, we all get that.

EB has full control of the offense. Which players, run which plays and when it's ran, but we run CRod into a wall on three straight plays and it's Ron's fault, randy Jordan's fault, we don't have a starting caliber RB on the roster. It's ****ing ridiculous. 

EB is going to interview for HC jobs this offseason,  be turned down again and be lucky to get an OC job anywhere.

My takeaway from yesterday is that if the Falcons had a decent QB, they would've won this game going away.  Ridder is HORRIBLE.  He had some of the worst turnovers I've seen in a while from a QB.  This team was very fortunate to come away with a win, because this would've been a loss 9 times out of 10 against a more talented QB.  The offense was below average yesterday, and borderline horrific in the 2nd half.  When we got the ball back up 24-10 in the 3rd Quarter, we should've been playing to score more points, not playing to run the clock out.  Playing prevent offense prevents your team from winning.  We got scared and acted like choking dogs late.  I blame EB for that terrible 2nd half.  We should've won this game by 3-4 TD's playing a terrible QB like Ridder, but our coaching staff is one of the worst in the NFL, and they truly can't understand the value of playing like the bully, instead of the victim.

Edited by samy316

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

And commending a defense that took Atlantas strength, the run game and shut it down, forcing Ridder to throw quickly from constant pressure, which forced 3 turnovers means we're all morons? 

I can’t speak for VoR, but yes.  🤣

You know damn well that a bunch of plays were left on the field as a result of Ridder being Ridder.   A better QB and coach easily put more points on the board.  They squandered so many opportunities with burning timeouts, delay of game, and just bad throws with clean feet.