Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Falcons Fiendishly Feathered

KDawg

Chase has been doing that all year, doesn't seem to help.  He clearly has the first quick step, it jumps off the screen, but he still gets ridden past the QB nearly every time.  I'm also totally onboard with Lucas over Wylie, that is such an obvious move.  As for Curl his play has clearly dropped off in his contract year, not good for him. But it was good to see such an improvement from Barton. My hope is he'll repeat last season with the Hawks where he was so poor early in the season he was benched, then the light came on and he played really well.  Maybe he's slow to react because he's still learning the defense?   I can't wait for the new people, who are smarter about this than we are, to decide what to do with the 2 DEs this offseason.  CY will demand to be paid like a Bosa, we all see that coming.  But he is the exact player who will go to another team and absolutely blow up, so there is that to consider.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks DGF. I was actually wondering if the standing start is making it easier to herd him past the QB because, as you say, that happens a lot. It reminds me of a matador the way the OT kind of waves him past. It sounds as if the stats are classing those as QB hurries or whatever the actual stat is called.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

One thing I did notice about Chase in that game was he seemed to be rushing standing up (i.e. not with his hand in the dirt). I don't recall seeing it before, is it because we used a lot of five man fronts, or another reason?

Noticed that too, often times it was clearly just a 4 man front and he was the only one standing up at the snap.

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I didn't really notice Martin at all, but I guess for a Safety that's a good thing.

I thought Curl had a heck of a game and am surprised he didn't grade higher.

Martin rated that high is surprising in that other than the sack that got called back for roughing (Barton?) I don't remember his name being called. Like you said for a safety that's a good thing I suppose.

• Thanks 1

After much debate my 3fers

Good

• Pressure. Front 4 simply wasn't getting enough to force turnovers to help our limited offense the previous 4 weeks, and to stop the bleeding of 30+ points per game allowed. JDR blitzing on Atlanta's side of the field on their opening drive. Twice.:yo: let Ridder know what kind of day it would be. A 3 INT day. DBs in the backfield. Sky Barton ripping Ridders helmet off attacking vs getting abused standing and reading the first 5 weeks. Ineffective or confused players on D? Let them attack the ball - my personal "Madieu Williams" theory. Jamin in tight man on the final drive = INT, vs trying to stop Bijan standing flat footed playing off in zone. Luckily Arthur Smith was too stupid to let Bijan fly down the field vs our shaky deep coverage. Quan utilized. No INT as I predicted but a fine PFF score.   3 Turnovers decided the game.
  • Howling for Howl Howell - yet again leads our offense to victory. Howell is the glue holding this team together folks. a leader. It certainly isnt the coaches. Dat arm... boing.
  • EB - changing the game plan and featuring Terry from the opening snap. Tis a rare thing to see our studs get featured. Probably made the Falcolns rip up their DC's game plan. WR/DB Matchups exploited. You can bench Logan from your fantasy team lineup. Again. But just for now.

Bad

• Too many yards on defense allowed but short fields for Howell and the score likely dictated that. I suspected JDR loaded up/attacked to stop Arthur Smith's obsession with running no matter what which opened up things for Ridder to throw. I am fine prioritizing shutting down Atlanta's run game but their pass game is woeful and Pitts and Drake had careerish days. Maybe that was on the DBs more than the game plan.
  • Sacks - Sams taking too many but theorize EB hasn't coached him up to throw it into the stand a la Cousins. Or maybe told him take sacks vs risking INTs. I don't even see him chuck it into the dirt at a covered receivers feet. End of the day he needs to stop taking unnecessary hits.
  • Our run game can't seem to get going... it's hardly just a commanders issue but EB is quick to abort and ride Howells arm.

Mehgly

• Coaching. Sucks Forbes had to get benched to tweak the D pivotal to getting the win. It's almost like Will Jackson Jamin Davisish all over again. If a coach cannot find a way to use their first rounder/ace free agent its on the staff for taking him or how they are using them or running a scheme not for them. It's turning into a disaster of a pick.  Get him out there in dime/zone... hail mary's at least?
  • Tress Wey seems to have come back to earth some?
  • If you're still here thanks for reading I am struggling with the meh's. Dotson gets a pass for now. Look for him targeted early next week.
Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

After much debate my 3fers

Good

• Pressure. Front 4 simply wasn't getting enough to force turnovers to help our limited offense the previous 4 weeks, and to stop the bleeding of 30+ points per game allowed. JDR blitzing on Atlanta's side of the field on their opening drive. Twice.:yo: let Ridder know what kind of day it would be. A 3 INT day. DBs in the backfield. Sky Barton ripping Ridders helmet off attacking vs getting abused standing and reading the first 5 weeks. Ineffective or confused players on D? Let them attack the ball - my personal "Madieu Williams" theory. Jamin in tight man on the final drive = INT, vs trying to stop Bijan standing flat footed playing off in zone. Luckily Arthur Smith was too stupid to let Bijan fly down the field vs our shaky deep coverage. Quan utilized. No INT as I predicted but a fine PFF score.   3 Turnovers decided the game.
  • Howling for Howl Howell - yet again leads our offense to victory. Howell is the glue holding this team together folks. a leader. It certainly isnt the coaches.
  • EB - changing the game plan and featuring Terry from the opening snap. Tis a rare thing to see our studs get featured. Probably made the Falcolns rip up their DC's game plan. WR/DB Matchups exploited. You can drop Logan from your fantasy team. Again. But just for now.

Bad

• Too many yards on defense allowed but short fields for Howell and the score likely dictated that. I suspected JDR loaded up/attacked to stop Arthur Smith's obsession with running no matter what which opened up things for Ridder to throw. I am fine prioritizing shutting down Atlanta's run game but their pass game is woeful and Pitts and Drake had careerish days. Maybe that was on the DBs more than the game plan.
  • Sacks - Sams taking too many but theorize EB hasn't coached him up to throw it into the stand a la Cousins. Or maybe told him take sacks vs risking INTs. I don't even see him chuck it into the dirt at a covered receivers feet. End of the day he needs to stop taking unnecessary hits.
  • Our run game can't seem to get going... it's hardly just a commanders issue but EB is quick to abort and ride Howells arm.

Mehgly

• Coaching. Sucks Forbes had to get benched to tweak the D pivotal to getting the win. It's almost like Will Jackson Jamin Davisish all over again. If a coach cannot find a way to use their first rounder/ace free agent its on the staff for taking him or how they are using them or running a scheme not for them. It's turning into a disaster of a pick.  Get him out there in dime/zone... hail mary's at least?
  • Tress Wey seems to have come back to earth some?
  • If you're still here thanks for reading I am struggling with the meh's. Dotson gets a pass for now. Look for him targeted early next week.

Howell threw a ball directly at McLaurin's heel in the second half. That wasn't a missed pass. That was a throwaway. 

Agree with a lot of the rest of this, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UK Skins said:

One thing I did notice about Chase in that game was he seemed to be rushing standing up (i.e. not with his hand in the dirt). I don't recall seeing it before, is it because we used a lot of five man fronts, or another reason?

I've also noticed that there's none of that relentless pursuit on running plays. I understand that he's a pass-rusher, but the pursuit, or lack thereof, is a real head-scratcher.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've also noticed that there's none of that relentless pursuit on running plays. I understand that he's a pass-rusher, but the pursuit, or lack thereof, is a real head-scratcher.

Yeah, he doesn’t always live up to his name…

😁

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He’s not cut from the same cloth as truly mobile QB’s like Hurts, Jackson, etc.  I’m also not saying he can’t get better at feeling the pressure and moving away from it.  But the pocket is regularly chaotic and breaking down in multiple places and fast.  How often do you see him able to stand back there and comfortably go through his reads like you see so many others do every Sunday?  Very rare sight.

I'm not asking him to be Lamar. But guys like Romo, Brady and so many others had a great feel and knew how to make small subtle moves in the pocket to avoid pressure and deliver the ball.  is this something that can be learned?   I'm not so sure about that.  

On 10/16/2023 at 9:47 AM, KDawg said:

Watching back some of the plays (not all) the receivers are not getting separation for the most part. I'm not sure if it's them or EB's insistence to run intermediate and deep routes with them...

How were you able to watch that?  The TV coverage rarely shows the coverage downfield. Which brings me to another beef.  Time and again we see the QB come off a receiver, then the pressure finally gets to him after 4-5  seconds.  The guy who got the sack gets all the love, the camera is on him even though he didn't really provide a great pass rush, when the guy who made the play was the guy who took away the receiver but it's rarely pointed out.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

How were you able to watch that?  The TV coverage rarely shows the coverage downfield. Which brings me to another beef.  Time and again we see the QB come off a receiver, then the pressure finally gets to him after 4-5  seconds.  The guy who got the sack gets all the love, the camera is on him even though he didn't really provide a great pass rush, when the guy who made the play was the guy who took away the receiver but it's rarely pointed out.  

Just watching their stems. They stem deep and no separation. It's frustrating. Piecing that together with replays as well. There aren't many alerts or hots at times. 

Some of the replays showed the coverage on receivers and they were blanketed downfield. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Against the Falcons I am pretty sure that was by design.

We obviously picked up in film study that they like to get Ridder out on boots off play action. We were clearly having the backside end 'stay home' to stop Ridder being able to boot and have easy high/low throws off that action. The defensive game plan was clearly dont let them beat us running the ball or allow Ridder to use his legs - make Ridder beat us from the pocket and rely on him missing throws and making mistakes. Which he did.

Both of Toohills sacks came from him just playing contain and waiting for Ridder to run into him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Just watching their stems. They stem deep and no separation. It's frustrating. Piecing that together with replays as well. There aren't many alerts or hots at times. 

Some of the replays showed the coverage on receivers and they were blanketed downfield. 

Are the lack of hots and alerts due to the system or is it that Howell hasn't been exposed to them yet due to him being a 1st year starter? I kind of lean toward the system, thinking by now at least some emphasis should have been given, even if Howell is new.

Edited by Chris 44

11 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Tress Wey seems to have come back to earth some?

One thing I've noticed about our ST is that we never go after the punter to block or force a quicker kick. It seems like other teams are always coming after Tress. Is that a fair statement or am I missing something?

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Against the Falcons I am pretty sure that was by design.

We obviously picked up in film study that they like to get Ridder out on boots off play action. We were clearly having the backside end 'stay home' to stop Ridder being able to boot and have easy high/low throws off that action. The defensive game plan was clearly dont let them beat us running the ball or allow Ridder to use his legs - make Ridder beat us from the pocket and rely on him missing throws and making mistakes. Which he did.

Both of Toohills sacks came from him just playing contain and waiting for Ridder to run into him.

Could be...but to watch him slow to a walk and stop while the play is still going on is poor optics.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

One thing I've noticed about our ST is that we never go after the punter to block for force a quicker kick. t seems like other teams are always coming after Tress. Is that a fair statement or am I missing something?

I think you are right, now that you mention it.

To our credit at least we have a long Crowder punt return on the ledger presuming instead of blocking punts we are setting up returns.

Commanders Trade Candidates as the deadline appears. I expect Harris to not let Ron do anything.

https://twsn.net/2023/10/washington-commanders-2023-trade-deadline-preview

From the LINK above, and my "It's The Scheme" upcoming novel:

Barton has struggled in coverage and tackling, something he did very well when he was in Seattle

Edited by RandyHolt

51 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think you are right, now that you mention it.

To our credit at least we have a long Crowder punt return on the ledger presuming instead of blocking punts we are setting up returns.

Commanders Trade Candidates as the deadline appears. I expect Harris to not let Ron do anything.

https://twsn.net/2023/10/washington-commanders-2023-trade-deadline-preview

From the LINK above, and my "It's The Scheme" upcoming novel:

Barton has struggled in coverage and tackling, something he did very well when he was in Seattle

Crowder is leagues better than that Dax Milne dude......but he's getting older.   We will need to get someone else,  that job cannot go back to Dax. 

40 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Crowder is leagues better than that Dax Milne dude......but he's getting older.   We will need to get someone else,  that job cannot go back to Dax. 

It would have been nice to see him finish that return but that was never Crowders game. Maybe Forbes can turn punts - PR6s!  Mostly Joking aside Crowder will fill the void until next year... nothing to worry about for now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Are the lack of hots and alerts due to the system or is it that Howell hasn't been exposed to them yet due to him being a 1st year starter? I kind of lean toward the system, thinking by now at least some emphasis should have been given, even if Howell is new.

No system holds a quarterback back from throwing hot because of development. Hots help with QB development. 

If there aren’t built in hots on each play that means the coordinator is relying on the QB to buy time while we wait for routes. Or the OL to block long enough for them to break free. 

That could be PART of why Howell holds the ball too long.

But again, I was watching the Chargers and Cowboys last night and Herbert and Dak held the ball too long, threw bad passes, etc.

Didn’t look a whole lot different than Howell. Their OLs looked better, though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1