Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Falcons Fiendishly Feathered

KDawg

5 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I cant blame Howell for that sack,...,,that was just very impressive DL play by Campbell. Sometimes the other guy is better on a given play. That was impressive.

That view is super cool and Calais getting 100? He wasn't being stopped. Cool to actually see the hand work that goes on.

• Like 1

By the way... anyone notice that Tress Way issues are most likely stemming from having a guy in his grill as he is punting and him having to short leg punts not to get blocked. Our special team blocking sucks... Is JDR managing special teams as well?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, oraphus said:

By the way... anyone notice that Tress Way issues are most likely stemming from having a guy in his grill as he is punting and him having to short leg punts not to get blocked. Our special team blocking sucks... Is JDR managing special teams as well?

Its probably his boy or Ron's running teams.

One little peev of mine. If the team has no intention of ever doing fake punts (like Ron), or even if you do, show it in preseason - more than once.

You know why? So teams when scouting us see at least early in the year they better not sell out on punt blocks and play the fake that never happens. Helps keep Tress clean.   When teams stop playing the fake from seeing us in preseason, run one. But it sure seems like Ron never has any tricks up his sleeve.

Why not fake a fake punt pre-snap. If the D doesn't adjust correctly, run the damn fake. Its swinging gate or bust in these parts...

Speaking of the famous swinging gate... some may have forgotten Zorn is the only coach in history to try to the same fake punt on consecutive plays.

image.gif.59f3830ca8269058cd2a80525952761b.gif

Edited by RandyHolt

8 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I feel like maybe this Commanders squad is one of the worst 3-3 teams I’ve ever seen.

There are gaping holes on and off the field with this enterprise…from HC on down and through.

Not every .500 team is medium across the board. Some are ho-hum in a lot of places, we seem to be more in extremes.  Good QB off set by poor O-line. Kicker that can make a 64 yarder, but miss one from 25. Dline that can dominate at times backed by the worst LB corp in the league. So the net score still turns out to be "average." 

I'd be willing to keep the majority of our squad for next year, if we can get a coach who is a thinker and can maximize our strengths

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I feel like maybe this Commanders squad is one of the worst 3-3 teams I’ve ever seen.

There are gaping holes on and off the field with this enterprise…from HC on down and through.

It’s certainly an indictment on the ‘coach-centric’ model, that’s for sure.  I gave Ron several passes regarding QB considering what he inherited and that he did enter the sweepstakes for Stafford, Wilson, etc. - he was trying.  Beyond that, the cancer and the other cancer - Dan.  It’s a lot to deal with.

In the last calendar year though, he’s went out of his way to defend Dan, made numerous other public snafus, and squandered an opportunity to add much needed pieces to assist in the development of Sam.  When you have all the power and one shot to prove your worth to a new boss, you must field a better team than this.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He’s still our ST guy? Huh. Interesting. Good for him.

If he’s not then the Commanders need to fire their website guys…

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

You’re just grumpy because they attempt the forward pass more than the 1 yard run. 

:P 

7 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

I cant blame Howell for that sack,...,,that was just very impressive DL play by Campbell. Sometimes the other guy is better on a given play. That was impressive.

I am no draftnik but I really wanted Calais... probably because of how huge he was. Instead we passed on him and DeSean Jackson and took Fred "Sleepy" Davis. We doubled down on our lameness and took Malcolm "Noodle Knee" Kelly right after Campbell was taken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Add better coaching and I still think this a talented roster. It has holes but so do most teams.

If Howell continues to develop (and doesn’t get killed!] and we can add a stud LT in the draft, maybe a TE and 3rd down back (doubt Gibson is back). Then in free agency upgrade at LB and sign a replacement for one of Young or Sweat (can’t see us retaining both) and an upgrade at LG. Get better coaching (especially at DC) plus Howell with a full season under his belt and this team could make noise.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

The DL won that game. The Offensive Coaching was actually beautiful. JDR diversified his defenses and the players executed better. Still room to grow, but that was our most complete game of the season.

QB: Howell is improving. He did exactly what I hoped and connected with McClaurin more often- even sprinkling in a few slants like I asked. He had a few long throws that we didn't connect on so that's the next step I'm looking for in his development- along with the obvious getting the ball out faster.

RB: With limited run blocking, they played well. Both had runs dragging defenders- Gibson dragging them 8 yards on one run. BRob's hands make him a weapon even when our run blocking is trash. The screen game schemed up by EB has been excellent. The goal line pass to Gibson showed great rhythm in our play calling.

WR: With a talented bunch, there's only so many opportunities to go around. Brown and Dotson have to get better at capitalizing on their chances. Samuel has made a play whenever we give him the chance. McClaurin is a baller obviously. Keep feeding him.

OL: We still need a new one.

OC: The execution of the 4 minute offense needs work. We didn't run out the clock well, but our OL socks at run blocking most snaps so I give some grace. The first 3 quarters were beautifully called. We kept ATL off balance. We used motion and shifts to confuse the defense as well as expose coverages to Howell. The goal line call to Gibson, again, was a rhythm call. The goal line pass to scheme Samuel that wide open was amazing. The TD screen to Robinson was a similar action to Samuel's toss pass in the red zone earlier in the game. I could shed a tear because this is what we never got with Turner. Fans need to go back and watch what EB was doing those first 3 quarters. I get it, we didn't score 40, but 24 in 3 quarters is trending better than we have in years.

DL: They won the game. Go back and watch. They won the game. Chase was throwing blockers on the ground and stepping over them. He was also getting pressure the majority of snaps. He was also setting the edge. He used the bull rush to collapse the pocket and force Ridder into bad throws. Finish more often, Chase, but I like what I see. It reminds me of Sweats progression from getting close to finishing more plays. Sweat, while he played, was the usual menace. He set the edge better than I've ever seen him do. Falcons repeatedly had to cut back inside on edge runs. That's when they ran into our monsters. One snap, Payne beat his OL, destroyed the pulling FB, and slammed the RB down for a loss of yards. That's Payne. Allen? He was mauling people. ATL's RBs Algier and Robinson are glad they don't have to see #93 every week. Rewatching and seeing Allen manhandle people was fun. Toohill played disciplined and was rewarded. He set the edge like our other players and that led to sacks.

LB: Barton hit someone downhill! He played better. Still had a few laughable reps, but he played better. Jamin is taking a big step. He is flying around right now. It's taking people a while to see it, but he has grown a lot. Jamin has played MLB and WLB for us in his career, but this game he played more SLB than I've ever seen. We actually ran 3-4, 5-2, AND 4-3 this week. That brought in Khaleke Hudson as the WLB and the kid played with fire. He was clearly ready to get his chance, and he should get more.

DB: They still look lost often and still give up too many yards, but when you force turnovers, all is forgiven. Fuller and St. Juste definitely needed INTs to make up for their play. Martin looked good in his limited snaps. Kam Curl is the leader of the back 7.

Overall this was another Rollercoaster swing game where somehow we look completely different than the week before. I agree with those who say this team is up and down, and can't really be predicted.

Our real record:

DL 3 - 3 OL

Edited by IrepDC
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Heh, not sure I've seen a miced up player brag about getting paid before, but with the way Payne is playing I'm amused by it.

I'M FAT COZ I GOT THAT CHEESE! is pretty good trash talk. Beats the hell outta Fat Albert flopping on the ground making sick dinosaur noises, anyway.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Haha 2