Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Falcons Fiendishly Feathered

KDawg

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Pretty much sums it up. It’s football and we love it and an extra playoff game would definitely be fun but again, we know this is a dead end 

So 3-3 must have been the fast start the staff was all talking about this off season. 

Our two absolute blow losses were such slap i the face reality checks that it makes this win feel like it's just moving the team further from a good draft position.

It's a shame the offense didn't take control of the game and put up another score or two.

At the same time, thank good Ridder forgot what color jersey he was throwing to because the D did not step it up

15 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

So 3-3 must have been the fast start the staff was all talking about this off season. 

Our two absolute blow losses were such slap i the face reality checks that it makes this win feel like it's just moving the team further from a good draft position.

Blowouts reflect poor preparation, game planning, and adjustments.  While we need some new players, playing the draft lottery won’t fix poor coaching.

I’m also not a proponent of tanking or hoping to lose, we should play and expect to win at times. Losing is habit, just like winning. 

Edited by Leonard Washington
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Blowouts reflect poor preparation, game planning, and adjustments.  While we need some new players, playing the draft lottery won’t fix poor coaching.

I’m also not a proponent of tanking or hoping to lose, we should play and expect to win at times. Losing is habit, just like winning. 

Not always. They can also reflect a lack of talent. Or talent not showing up to play. 

With this team it’s a “decide your poison” because a lot of it or most of it is true.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NY Giants look totally different with Barkley back.  If they get Thomas back next week and they play anywhere near the way they played last night where they literally were one yard away from upsetting Buffalo on the road, they will beat us next Sunday IMO

Meh, the league is week to week.

We nearly upset Philly, then got blown out by the worst team in the league.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

The Giants O line is even more limiting than ours right now. Thomas looked to walking with a slight limp still on the sideline so I doubt he is back next week. Taylor and Jones are the kind of mobile QBs who typically give us fits though.

41 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

How the heck do the one win Giants without 2 starting OL and their starting QB almost beat the Bills who annihilated us a few weeks ago, ugh

The Giants D played out of their minds last night!  They stymied the Bills’ offense (at least in the first half)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

I don't wish for the team to tank. However, based on the way they are playing they'd be lucky to reach 8 wins. What does yet another 500 season bring us? Hope? ha, I am hoped out with what I've seen so far. The team doesn't all play together. Each side of the ball is ultra inconsistent.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not always. They can also reflect a lack of talent. Or talent not showing up to play. 

With this team it’s a “decide your poison” because a lot of it or most of it is true.

Agreed. The staff isn't putting the team in a position to win. They need to use what they team has to their strengths, game plan through that. And there should not be a lot blame thrown on the QB at this point. That is the one healthy difference between this year and the the past few seasons. 

Also, while there are highly talented, skilled players on the team, there are others the staff believes in that do not deserve that respect. The positions arrogantly ignores or glossed over when building the roster for this season are obviously voids in talent every Sunday. 

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Meh, the league is week to week.

We nearly upset Philly, then got blown out by the worst team in the league.

I haven't seen our defense yet suffocate a team the way the Giants did for the Bills last night.  It's not as if we've been there that done that too just depends on the week.

They at least have the excuse of injuries. They actually have off season additions who are contributing to their team.  They aren't the same team without Barkley, it would be like us sans Terry.  And while their O line has been bad like ours, they have the excuse of their 2 top O lineman being out.  My point is if that dynamic changes, Thomas is back, they likely win.

Even Logan Paulsen who works for this team think the Giants have better coaches than we do.

The Giants also seem to have our number.  Every year some here seem to goof on the Giants like we are the big brother team.  But they are the big brother team.  As an ex--player who played here and with them once said its part of the culture with tihe Giants that they expect to beat Washington and usually do.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

The Giants D played out of their minds last night!  They stymied the Bills’ offense (at least in the first half)

And yet our vaunted (or is it haunted :ols:) DL and D in general allowed 37 while the praised offense squeaked out a field goal.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't seen our defense yet suffocate a team the way the Giants did for the Bills last night.  It's not as if we've been there that done that too just depends on the week.

They at least have the excuse of injuries. They actually have off season additions who are contributing to their team.  They aren't the same team without Barkley, it would be like us sans Terry.  And while their O line has been bad like ours, they have the excuse of their 2 top O lineman being out.  My point is if that dynamic changes, Thomas is back, they likely win.

Even Logan Paulsen who works for this team think the Giants have better coaches than we do.

The Giants also seem to have our number.  Every year some here seem to goof on the Giants like we are the big brother team.  But they are the big brother team.  As an ex--player who played here and with them once said its part of the culture with tihe Giants that they expect to beat Washington and usually do.

Oh I dont disagree at all with your point that the Giants could beat us. I fully expect to lose especially if Daniel Jones is starting.

I just dont think week to week carryover exists unless youre one of the few truly elite teams. 

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

The Giants O line is even more limiting than ours right now. Thomas looked to walking with a slight limp still on the sideline so I doubt he is back next week. Taylor and Jones are the kind of mobile QBs who typically give us fits though.

To me Thomas is the X factor because he's a shut down tackle,  He likely will shut down Chase. Pugh seemed to be OK at times playing the spot last night though he normally is a guard.  But clearly they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink to fix that spot when they are talking players out of retirement, signing another FA last week and considering L. Collins.

But with Thomas out, their line is vulnerable on both edges.  And I think we exploit that.

Barkley gives this team fits normally but they can sell out to stop the run.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seeing other rookie corners play well, while listening to Keim just now saying he's not sure when Forbes will get playing time again this season because right now they just don't trust him, feels like a tough pill to swallow right now

I wanted banks so bad….

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I wanted banks so bad….

So many posters favs after Witherspoon were either Banks or Gonzalez (like me) over Forbes.

Forbes size scared everyone but JDR. JDR said he identified Gonzo's weakness so didn't want him and liked his takeaway prowess. 

Edited by DWinzit

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Oh I dont disagree at all with your point that the Giants could beat us. I fully expect to lose especially if Daniel Jones is starting.

I just dont think week to week carryover exists unless youre one of the few truly elite teams. 

I agree that's why I said if they play like they did last night.

My takeaway from that game from an emotional standpoint is the Giants likely think we were one yard from beating the Bills on the road who blew out Washington at home -- lets build on that for next week, we own Washington, we are, not them the third best team in that division, and play inspired.

I thought we'd beat Atlanta.  Ron's teams tend to bounce back from losses.  But Ron's team's don't sustain momenum typically.  I just have this tought that the Giants play with their hair on fire next week and Washington doesn't not.  I hope I am wrong.

Okereke who they signed in FA, and were willing to spend some money on looked like a stud last night and has had a decent year.   Banks keeps getitng better.  Waller has played well.  They had a better off season than we did.  But they had longer to go.  Waqshington was more talented heading into that off season.  Injuries have killed them 2 seasons in a row,

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to have a winning season.  But I am betting they win at least 1 of these head to head matchups.  I'd prefer its next week since I'll be at the game at Fedex in Nov.  Hopefeully am wrong and we sweep them but I think there is a better chance they sweep us than we sweep them.

8 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I wanted banks so bad….

Me too, we created on the draft thread our top 20 fav players before the draft.  He was on my list, the other corner I had on that list was DJ Turner. 

I didn't think Gonzalez would drop to our pick so he wasn't on my list but when he started to drop that's who I wanted. 

Turner is also having a good season.  Once I digested the pick as to Forbes, I trusted it because this brass tends to do well with secondary picks but its not looking hot right now.

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Were average. Offense was good for half the game and putrid the other half, and failed on three straight drives to put the game away. Defense was mostly bad but came up with some timely takeaways to seal the win late. 

Well end up with around 8-9 wins again.

The offense was awful.  But at least they finished most of the short fields they were given by the punt return and turnovers.  The defense was actually pretty good.  They dominated Atlanta's powerful run game and forced Desmond Ridder to try and beat them and it worked.  Holding those two backs to 3 and a half YPC and no scores on 26 rushes is big time.  As a result, they were discombobulated and lost faith in their red zone offense and Ridder and Arthur Smith made horrible decisions that cost the Falcons a winnable game where they were the more talented team, playing at home.  The defensive front won the LoS and that was without Sweat for most of the game.  That Atlanta OL is one of the most expensive and pedigreed lines in the league, and they got nothing on us.  Chase had his way with the left side and the interior got pretty good pressure too.

Chase and Daron have been holding down the fort while Allen has been hurt and Montez has been struggling.  They're the future core of the line.  Looked like Daron broke his hand in the game, but taped it up and was back out there a few plays later.  The dude is an absolute rock, and the next regime is going to have a nice foundation to build their defense up on.

Thought this was the best game from our linebackers by far.  Barton and Davis were impactful and limited mistakes.  Therpughing call on Barton was a tough break. It was soft contact that was the result of playing for the PBU against a QB who stepped up into him as he threw.  **** happens and I don't kill Barton for trying to make a play.   It was also nice to see Hudson get onto the field, he was good.

Also nice to see Quan Martin get out there and get a key pressure.  I don't understand why he didn't play until this week.

Mixed game from Fuller and Juice.  They got eaten up by London and Pitts but that'll happen.  They came away with key interceptions and that matters more on balance.  The safeties played better and they were forced to go with a more conservative scheme in the absence of Forbes and Forrest, and the entire secondary benefited from that.  It's the scheme they should have been running from the get go when Forbes was still out there.  Failing to adjust until injuries and disastrous play week after week force your hand is a hallmark of bad coaching when you're at the NFL level.

It was still a poorly coached game from our staff on both sides of the ball.  The offensive playcalling in particular was bad.  We tried to give the game away, but Atlanta just wouldn't let us do it.  Two bad coaching staffs flailing around and making basic mistakes going against each other, and the one with more rest and prep time escaped with the win.

Arthur Smith is a smart guy, but he's just not cut out to be a HC.  Some of his decisions and failings were ghastly.  Having so much trouble getting the playcalls in during key situations... That incredibly stupid decision to go for 2... The fourth down calls.  He gave us this game.  Most of the coaching staffs of the NFL pants us when we go up against them, this was one of the few times where we got the better of them just by keeping it vanilla and doing the minimum level of preparation expected of an NFL caliber staff.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I also knew banks wasn’t going to be drafted here unfortunately too. He was the poster child for this CB class of CBs who don’t want to tackle. Knew from there he was out with Ron. 

Boomers man…

OK its been awhile, I didn't recall Banks struggiling with tackling in college but I am likely forgetting.  He was a feisty-phyiscal player in college in coverage.

Not sure though that tackiling is that front burner for this brass though.  Forbes was a willing tackler but it was easy to see he had to throw his whole body to get dudes down in college and that might not translate in the pros considering his size. 

Forbes if I recall as to PFF scores is the worst run defender of any CB in the league.  He's in the 20s which isn't a bad score, its atrocious.  I know Keim said they wre frustrated in the mix about his tackiling.  Judging by Banks PFF score he's been an above average run defender-tackler in the pros thus far.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I dont think it's a Brian Robinson issue, personally.  When we talk about OL, we only seem to only talk about pass protection, but this is a bad OL all the way around.  They're not good run blockers either. They get manhandled upfront. It was on full display against the Bears.

And FWIW, the Falcons are a solid run defense.

I don’t think it’s a Brian Robinson issue either.  

It’s a “if you can’t do it then don’t bang your head on a wall to satisfy the Run the Ball mafia which might include the head coach” issue. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I want to reiterate that if we let go of Sweat or Young (I would let one of them go), I’d really like Toohill to start opposite them.

I think we should resign Toohill and let both of them go.  

Sweat isn’t going to be worth the money he will get paid and Young is … I dunno.  I think both sides might just need a fresh start. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This has been a theme in Washington since pre-Ron. 

Bend don't break or prevent only means prevent from winning or putting the losers away like a champ does.

Hand out a knockout blow. It would infuse the team and fan base!

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I want to reiterate that if we let go of Sweat or Young (I would let one of them go), I’d really like Toohill to start opposite them.

Ron will run the script out for his 8-9 season with all hands on deck.  And we ultimately probably let one of them walk in FA.

It's not in this franchises DNA to be sellers at trade deadline and add draft capital. Ron fit Dan's style on that front.  It's one of a slew of reasons why I look forward to a fresh start with him gone.

Only chance is if Harris pushes it which doesn't seem to be his style to interfere.

• Thumb up 1