Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Falcons Fiendishly Feathered

KDawg

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think you have some bias in the fact that you had a great day out and enjoyed a win in the comfy confines of Mercedes Benz stadium.  That’s always going to be fun and something to enjoy.

Perhaps I’ve seen this movie too many times before.  But watching from home, it felt like a game between too middling teams trying their damndest to lose.  Particularly the final 28 minutes of the game.

Of course I have bias from being at the game! You have bias sitting at home with too much analysis and not just enjoyinmg football. That is the point entirely! 🙂 We have gotton so caught up in the analysis and slow motion and stuff that we forget it's a game, and an imperfect game at that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Of course I have bias from being at the game! You have bias sitting at home with too much analysis and not just enjoyinmg football. That is the point entirely! 🙂 We have gotton so caught up in the analysis and slow motion and stuff that we forget it's a game, and an imperfect game at that. 

You lost me here.  

It didn’t take much analysis, next gen stats, or anything special to see that this was two middling teams playing a game of who can mess up the least.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Couple things, seen them mentioned and just want to state my full agreement.

- I don't think it's talked enough about how our WRs aren't getting open. We keep talking about Sam holding on to the ball too long, but it's primarily because there is simply no where to throw the ball. If he does what everyone is calling for him to do - just throw it - interceptions and incompletions will go up exponentially. Taking off and running before the play even has a chance to develop is a nonstarter as well. He'll take just as many hits as he is from the sacks.

- It is absolutely insane, that on every single second and long, we run. Insane.

- Semi related - I hope we see much more from Chris Rod. He's our only back that actually runs through the holes instead of into defenders.

Anyway, we WON. I'm happy with the win.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just now, goskins10 said:

Sorry, I respectfully disagree with this.  I wanted to go to this game yesterday, but I had a work emergency that prevented me from making the trip.  If I had made the trip, I would've been upset that I went, because of the nature of the way in which we won.  We're in year 4 of this Rivera regime, yet we only seem to win in heart-pounding, teeth-clenching fashion, or we get blown out.  It's getting tiring to only win one kind of way.  Playoff teams win those kind of games by 3-4TD's at least.  We can NEVER put teams away when we have them by the throats.  That offensive game-planning and execution in the 2nd half yesterday was borderline unforgivable.  I would've definitely left the stadium yesterday with a sour taste in my mouth after that victory.

A win always feels good, but this win doesn't complete erase the bad loss against Chicago.  Wins against the Giants and Eagles though may restore my former optimism about making the playoffs and putting together a nice season, but right now it still feels like 7-10 or 8-9 season is on deck.

I thought the offense looked good the first half.  In the second half they got too conservative.  Without watching the tape I cannot say what happened, but I feel like this offense should have used the quick passing game more in the second half.  Maybe that is what they were trying to do, without seeing the tape, I cannot say for sure, but it felt like we were running more intermediate routes.  I would like to see more RPO's, quick pass game, and maybe some rollouts for Howell in the second half.    We can work in the run too, but I am not a fan of the run, run, pass.  Which can work if you are getting to 3rd and 4 but if you are in 3rd and 8 ins tough.

It felt like defense and special teams won the game.  I thought the defense played a lot better.   We gave up a lot of yards though, I would like to see that improve, but we got a big win.  Turnovers make everything look better.  I think you cannot press for turnovers because pressing for turnovers means gambling.  If you play good defense, especially if you are playing with a lead, turnovers will naturally come and that is what happened today.

So I feel better than I did last week, but I am still not optimistic.  I felt more optimistic heading into the Bears game coming off back to back losses to the Bills and Eagles.  The Bears loss is going to take a while to get over.

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I can’t speak for VoR, but yes.  🤣

You know damn well that a bunch of plays were left on the field as a result of Ridder being Ridder.   A better QB and coach easily put more points on the board.  They squandered so many opportunities with burning timeouts, delay of game, and just bad throws with clean feet.

I dont disagree that a better QB would have been better, but the point is that we stopped their run success and made Ridder throw.

Thats the point.

I will concede the run defense was good, although they were getting gashed in the 4th quarter as it was obvious the defense in general was worn down(can't blame them too much, offense did nothing in the 2nd half after the Robinson TD).

Gonna need that same level of execution against Barkley.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I will concede the run defense was good, although they were getting gashed in the 4th quarter as it was obvious the defense in general was worn down(can't blame them too much, offense did nothing in the 2nd half after the Robinson TD).

Gonna need that same level of execution against Barkley.

The value of sticking to the run is paid in the fourth round.

43 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was screaming about that during the game.  They completely turtles offensively and tried to squat on the lead.  

They need to have the mentality they need to score on every possession and not try and run clock.  Pretend you’re down 10 to start every possession.  Until you are up 3 or more TDs, just keep scoring.  They tried to run too much and we’re just way too conservative.  

They gave Rodriguez 3 consecutive runs to start the drive after they got up 14.  Whst the hell?  That’s announcing you’re trying to kill clock.

I put a lot of that on EB.  But some on Ron.

McVay actually pointed to a specific game when he was calling plays here, a mo day night loss to the Cowboys in 2015, when he said he got too conservative, learned from it, and didn’t have that same approach ever again.  

Hopefully EB learns quickly from this game.  

All the morons saying the defense played well didn’t see the massive number of plays Ridder just didn’t make because he stinks.  If he makes them, the Commanders lose by double digits.  

To be fair, if we played a better qb than Ridder, our gameplan might have shifted away from focusing on stopping the run.  And if Atlanta had a better qb and a top notch run game, they’d probably have an elite offense… which we wouldn’t be stopping anyways.  And it surely didn’t help that our offense kept giving the ball back to Atlanta late.  That’s not to say the defense doesn’t deserve any criticism of course.

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You lost me here.  

It didn’t take much analysis, next gen stats, or anything special to see that this was two middling teams playing a game of who can mess up the least.

You get more watching it on TV than in the stands. And I am not saying it was not sloppy. I am saying sitting at home you forget the fun of just being at the game and watching it. At least for me. Maybe no one else sees it that way. If so, then that's unfortunate. 

21 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Sorry, I respectfully disagree with this.  I wanted to go to this game yesterday, but I had a work emergency that prevented me from making the trip.  If I had made the trip, I would've been upset that I went, because of the nature of the way in which we won.  We're in year 4 of this Rivera regime, yet we only seem to win in heart-pounding, teeth-clenching fashion, or we get blown out.  It's getting tiring to only win one kind of way.  Playoff teams win those kind of games by 3-4TD's at least.  We can NEVER put teams away when we have them by the throats.  That offensive game-planning and execution in the 2nd half yesterday was borderline unforgivable.  I would've definitely left the stadium yesterday with a sour taste in my mouth after that victory.

Fair enough to disagree. But I am really glad I went. 1st year after Dan. Get to show my support and we won! Good times with friends and people who liek the same team! There was a lot of Burgandy and Gold!!!  So what if it was a bit sloppy. It's the NFL. We won a road game! 

Ok, really my last. To each thier own. I just really enjoy seeing games live and think when you see it live it's not as bad as it comes across on the TV. You don't get a million replays from every angle except on critical plays. And you are more aware of the speed of the game. But clearly, at least today, that's just me. 

So moving along! 🙂  

• Like 1

In the offseason I was excited about out OL and how athletic they are and how great they would be for screens and that is proving true. 

The down side with that is that its proving that we are not a power line which I think BRob needs to excel. We have 1 Tackle (Leno) and 3 former Tackles (Charles, Cosbi, Wylie) and a Center. Without pulling up their scouting profiles the profiles go that tackles are more agile than guards and and guards are stronger. 

So now I'm looking it up and here are the actual numbers

Samuel Cosbi: 4.87s 40, 36 reps 

Charles Leno: no 40, 21 reps

Saahdiq Charles: 5.05s, no bp

Nick Gates: 5.46s, 20 reps

Ricky Stromberg: 5.26s, no bp

One thing is I'm weary about the bench press number because I've seen the number 20 (and other magical numbers) as people saying that they weren't going to kill themselves for that workoug so they were just going to reach 20 and stop and others like here didn't do it. it doesn't mean they aren't strong but for a guy like Cosbi I like that I can see a measurement of 36 as a degree and see it as "wow this guy is strong".

For Leno, Charles, Gates and Stromberg it seems like at minimum they're not flaunting their strength so it goes with my intuition that this is a more athletic line than a strong line. (I think I would like to see more runs behinf Cosbi now though). 

14 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

In the offseason I was excited about out OL and how athletic they are and how great they would be for screens and that is proving true. 

The down side with that is that its proving that we are not a power line which I think BRob needs to excel. We have 1 Tackle (Leno) and 3 former Tackles (Charles, Cosbi, Wylie) and a Center. Without pulling up their scouting profiles the profiles go that tackles are more agile than guards and and guards are stronger. 

One thing is I'm weary about the bench press number because I've seen the number 20 (and other magical numbers) as people saying that they weren't going to kill themselves for that workoug so they were just going to reach 20 and stop and others like here didn't do it. it doesn't mean they aren't strong but for a guy like Cosbi I like that I can see a measurement of 36 as a degree and see it as "wow this guy is strong".

For Leno, Charles, Gates and Stromberg it seems like at minimum they're not flaunting their strength so it goes with my intuition that this is a more athletic line than a strong line. (I think I would like to see more runs behinf Cosbi now though). 

On the TD screen Cosmi and Charles looked real good in space(although Cosmi probably should have been penalized for ilegal man downfield).

I'm with you though I'd like to see the OL move and be used in space more.

19 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

For the record, his name is Cosmi.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

When BRob gets up a head of steam, touchdown run screen thing he scored on yesterday, its pretty cool to watch. When he gets in space he is a wrecking ball. Would love to see more plays that are designed that way.

Would like to see Rodriguez get more carries, he looks intriguing. Problem is this offense doesn't run enough to spread the load around very much. 

Edited by Chris 44

16 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

I think if we didnt play 2 of maybe the 3 worst QBs this season we would be 1-4 currently...

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

giphy.gif

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Another potentially good coaching staff is drowning in a sea of incompetent roster building due to the lack of a legit GM in the building. Just as been the case since Snyder arrived. Time to relieve GM “Ron and co” of its duties and bring in an interim GM. Let Coach Ron focus on coaching while he plays out his final days here. Yay that we won, but it doesn’t really matter much because this team is going nowhere. I’m more focused on if/when we finally put a proper front office structure in place, because then, and only then will I feel like we have finally climbed out of the pit of despair that is the Snyder era. Would love to see the correct structure put in place now, even though significant changes won’t be able to be made until the off-season.

They all need to go.  Nothing good about them.

I wish I was a fan of a team that made me happy when they win. The Rivera era produces very few wins that aren't awkward and stress-inducing in the late 4th quarter. I come away from the wins with relief but not satisfaction or a feeling of victory. 

We could have closed that game out with at least 3 minutes left but as usual, I was absolutely confident we'd make questionable play calls, take at least 1 sack, go 3 & out, and then let their offense drive deep into our territory.

It's who we are. We don't step on necks. We don't close out games. I'm exhausted from being exhausted.

• Like 2

Some more combine stuff from our OL

Chris Paul: 4.89s, no bench

Lucas: nothing

Wiley: 5.14, 20 bp (pro day)

Scott: 5.36, 15 bp (pro day)

Braeden Daniels: 4.99s, nd

I got this data from 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/

and 

https://ras.football/

I just wanted to edit this to make it indexable so I can find it somewhere. 

Edited by Thinking Skins

8 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

They need to be able to hit 3-5 rush yards on first down. The amount of 1 yard runs is insane. 

That's why I hate first down runs.

You throw on 1st. You can typically scheme up an easy 5-7 yards. That sets up 2nd and 3-5 where you can run or pass, and typically your rushes will be more successful because the defense has to account for everything. Worst case scenario you set up a 3rd and short where you can, again, run or pass.

In general we need to be better on 1st downs. Scheme up some easier shorter stuff. 1st down incompletions are too often a death knell for this offense because the OL can't pass protect in obvious pass downs and Howell holds the ball too long. And 2nd and 9 ain't much ebtter.

• Thumb up 1

This is a look at the runs by direction: 

Brian Robinson left end for 4 yards (tackle by Jessie Bates)
Brian Robinson left end for 9 yards (tackle by Kaden Elliss)
Brian Robinson left end for 9 yards (tackle by AJ Terrell and Jessie Bates)
Brian Robinson left end for 3 yards (tackle by Albert Huggins and Lorenzo Carter)

25 yards

Brian Robinson left tackle for 1 yard (tackle by Zach Harrison)
Antonio Gibson left tackle for 5 yards (tackle by Zach Harrison)
Brian Robinson left tackle for no gain (tackle by David Onyemata and Nathan Landman)

6 yards

Antonio Gibson left guard for 9 yards (tackle by Jessie Bates and Richie Grant)
Brian Robinson left guard for 3 yards (tackle by David Onyemata)
Chris Rodriguez left guard for 7 yards (tackle by Nathan Landman)

Chris Rodriguez left guard for 1 yard (tackle by Kaden Elliss and David Onyemata)

20 yards

Brian Robinson right guard for 1 yard (tackle by Nathan Landman and Bud Dupree)
Brian Robinson right guard for no gain (tackle by Nathan Landman and LaCale London)

1 yard

Brian Robinson right tackle for 1 yard (tackle by Jeff Okudah and Nathan Landman)
Chris Rodriguez right tackle for 13 yards (tackle by Jessie Bates)

14 yards

As you can see, we got a lot more production to the left side than the right, which goes against my assumption. I'm guessing that's partially because of the Atlanta defensive matchup against Cosmi and Lucas and Charles being better than their combine (pro day) numbers being advertised. 

Also I have been saying for a while that I think that our best runs are the edge runs but they take more time and work better with a certain type of backs. The fact that BRob was getting 6.25 per carry on edge runs to the left says a lot to me, but late in the game I think we tried to do it and he was stopped before he could get to the edge. 

• Like 1