Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The mindset of I don't play for losses was ingrained as players -- that's my point.  Still...

I just mentioned a former player who wanted losses

The only other formers players I mentioned was Mitchell and Doc.  @spjunkies mentioned Doc changed his mind on this and now wants the pick.

As for Mitchell, I've listened to him for eons among others here.  Like Brady being a 6th round pick, being a 5th round pick is really ingrained in him.  He rants every now and then about people's fixation about first rounders and he feels it doesn't matter where players are drafted.  So its deep in his football DNA that it doesn't matter if you are picking 3 or 30 in the first round so he has no motivation to ever root for a higher pick because he doesn't seem to believe it matters.

Yeah, I think successful players who were late round picks (like BMitch who was a 5th rounder as you mentioned) probably think NFL drafting is highly inefficient and do not value draft capital nearly the same way.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Yeah, I think successful players who were late round picks (like BMitch who was a 5th rounder as you mentioned) probably think NFL drafting is highly inefficient and do not value draft capital nearly the same way.

Yeah Mitchell is super passionate about the subject.  He goes on and on about Monte Coleman was an 11th round pick.  He cities lower picked stars on other teams.  He goes on and on about it.  I don't think he thinks it matters where you pick in the draft, that its all about who is picking the players.

But yeah even if you told Mitchell everything is equal on this I doubt he gives a rats behind if we picked 3 or 12th or whatever in the next draft.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know Ron isn't tanking but his incompetence I think likely takes us to the promised land.   He's only the HC.  I bet we here watched more 49ers games than Ron.

Yeah but our defense should be outstanding based on such focus on it and their offense. Purdy, Deebo, Trent and McCaffrey don't stand a chance!

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The mindset of I don't play for losses was ingrained as players -- that's my point.  Still...

I just mentioned a former player who wanted losses

The only other formers players I mentioned was Mitchell and Doc.  @spjunkies mentioned Doc changed his mind on this and now wants the pick.

As for Mitchell, I've listened to him for eons among others here.  Like Brady being a 6th round pick, being a 5th round pick is really ingrained in him.  He rants every now and then about people's fixation about first rounders and he feels it doesn't matter where players are drafted.  So its deep in his football DNA that it doesn't matter if you are picking 3 or 30 in the first round so he has no motivation to ever root for a higher pick because he doesn't seem to believe it matters.

I got your original point on players. 

I've talked about this before. Of course players want to win and don't care about draft position. It would be weird if they didn't. And when you're that invested in a position, it becomes common to find extra justifications for it. Hence the "culture of winning" silliness that ends up claiming a team going 5-12 rather than 4-13 has some legit value even though maybe 15% of the players who are here for it would still be here when the team might get good. It's nonsense, but it's what fits with everything they do as competitors, so they believe it. And then, it's not surprising that they carry that with them after they retire, where so many of them influence what fans hear as commentators and analysts. That's what leads to the craziness I've mentioned before, where at the end of the 2011 season, multiple ESPN talking heads were yelling about how "stupid" it would be to want the Colts to lose the final meaningless game and get Andrew Luck. Because you always root for your team to win because.... reasons. 

It's a credit to Cooley and Walker that they can see past it.

As for the BMitch quote, it fits with something else I often complain about. A pet peeve. And it doesn't;t apply only to sports, but discourse in general. But used in sports discussions mostly. That is using the word "guarantee" as a substitute for an actual argument. ie. "There is no guarantee the number 1 pick works out, therefore it doesn't matter" Of course, the people who use it can't see the logical conclusion of that kind of reasoning. If something that isn't "guaranteed" has no value, then neither does anything else. There is "no guarantee" any draft picks will work out, so why bother making any? There is "no guarantee" that calling good plays will lead to wins, so why bother making those? It's nonsense. Sports in particular rely on probabilities. If you make enough smart bets, you'll win money even though there is "no guarantee" the right choice will win. Teams acquire the best players even if there is "no guarantee" that they will all work out. Just throwing out the "guarantee" thing is a crutch and honestly people who use it shouldn't have what they are saying be taken seriously. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No player on the team should want to do anything but win and put good play on tape.

You never ask a player to play badly.

What you do is play players on the bottom end of the roster which lowers your chances of winning.  

And you call very vanilla plays...lots of basic runs, soft coverage on defense, no blitzes, etc....Keep it simple and usher in the new year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't know where you're getting 46 mil as the figure. From everything I see it's 81 mil in dead cap, but 51 is his cap figure, so it's a net cost of a little under 30 (I'm not bothering with anything but the millions column)

If they keep him for 24, his 25 salary becomes guaranteed, but that's only 18 mil. The net hit in 25 if they wait until then to cut him would be about 5.5 mil. 

If that organization has any sense, the decision comes down to how much you believe in Murray and how much you like the QB class coming up. The dead cap hit, either this year or next, is a tough pill, but they can survive it and nothing is more important than getting QB right. You can't pass on taking a franchise-altering qB and sticking with a dud just because you are worried about a 1 year cap hit. 

They aren't going anywhere anyway. That roster need a lot of work. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/trading-kyler-murray-next-year-would-trigger-massive-but-manageable-cap-charge

If the Cardinals cut him before the guarantees vest, using a post-June 1 designation, Murray would count $13 million against the cap in 2024 and $33.28 million in 2025.

The Cardinals could also trade Murray before June 1 and take the full $46.221 million cap charge in 2024

Harris will want the #1 pick and Caleb Williams. Can’t see anything other than that at the minute. 

However, I think the Bears would be nuts to trade out of that pick. They played it perfectly last year and it couldn’t have landed better for them. Why would they defer on Williams. Not sure that makes any sense at all, unless he outright blocks them off.

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Harris will want the #1 pick and Caleb Williams. Can’t see anything other than that at the minute. 

However, I think the Bears would be nuts to trade out of that pick. They played it perfectly last year and it couldn’t have landed better for them. Why would they defer on Williams. Not sure that makes any sense at all, unless he outright blocks them off.

It depends on if they think they absolutely can't win with Fields. If they think they can, you move down a couple of spots and draft Marvin Harrison Jr. 

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

He needs to sit Brissett if he wants to get Caleb, because I can see us beating Dallas with him at QB.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

He needs to sit Brissett if he wants to get Caleb, because I can see us beating Dallas with him at QB.

NO way, Mark this team beats either SF or Dallas.  They have too much to play for and SF got whipped by the Ravens.  They will put a whopping on us Sunday and Dallas the following week.  We are a team trying to find it identity.  Next year it starts, I hope.  

• Like 1

Just now, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Wish injury on no man, but hope that’s the last we’ve seen of him in a Commanders jersey

The only decent OLman we have on this roster of those who have played is Cosmi.  We need to replace both OTs, LG and OC but Stromberg might be able to fill the OC.  We don't know yet as he didn't get to play due to injury.