Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

12 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

So, we'd take the consensus (via nflmockdraftdatabase.com) 33rd prospect, at 4?

I understand the QB premium but there were lengthy "what is a reach?" discussions last draft...

I think it would take a conscious decision from the new FO to trade back and let the draft come to them. Build the roster, add future draft picks, and if a QB is there that you like later, you take them. Maybe the hit rate is lower, but at least you’re using a pick that matches the upside and you’ve added draft capital. 

If Chicago trades Fields for a mid 1st and we sit at 3 … Bears go Williams and Cards Maye, we don’t like Daniels, flip 3/4 with the Pats for their 1st next year. Then flip 4 to Chicago for 8+20 (or whatever pick). 

At 8 you go OT or Bowers. And if McCarthy is there at 20 you can take him having already grabbed an OT and adding a future 1st. 

Or Atlanta wants to leapfrog the Pats for Daniel’s. They offer us 1-2-3 and next year’s 1. 

You could use some of those 2’s to come back up for a QB. Or roll into 2024 with Howell + veteran knowing it’s likely you’re targeting QB in 2025. Or draft Nix or Penix with one of your 3 2nd round picks. Or package one of your now 6 picks in R2/3 to come into R1 for a QB you like but don’t wanna risk them slipping to R2. 

Both odd ball scenarios but could play out if we don’t like the QB at 3 but think we could maybe access one later. And it would take a FO that is playing the long game AND not in love with QB options there when we pick. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

3. Profit. 

All the more valuable if we have the 2nd pick. Bears could simply just choose to draft Maye … or flip 1/2 with us for a “minimal” return aka their 2nd rounder back. 

If Williams really wants to “come home” he could force the hand for that and tell Chicago he’s not interested. And maybe Arizona. That’s a bit dramatic for me. But the fact that we are in sniffing distance surely has him considering the opportunity more than if we were at, say, 13. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

All the more valuable if we have the 2nd pick. Bears could simply just choose to draft Maye … or flip 1/2 with us for a “minimal” return aka their 2nd rounder back. 

If Williams really wants to “come home” he could force the hand for that and tell Chicago he’s not interested. And maybe Arizona. That’s a bit dramatic for me. But the fact that we are in sniffing distance surely has him considering the opportunity more than if we were at, say, 13. 

Let's keep in mind Eli forced his way onto the Giants and that diva move was karmically punished with two Super Bowl wins. As in geopolitics, there is a case for realism: you do whatever you gotta do to win! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

This is a big part of it too. This fanbase needs a freshly drafted face to cling to. A head of the franchise kind of guy. We are in position to do it. So do it now. And the bottom line is the NFL is an entertainment business. You want to sell tickets fans need to be entertained. It is time to draft a top QB.

Agree. Among other issues this franchise has had -- they don't do stars.  They don't do elite players.  And yes of course that has effected things on the fied but it also had an off the field impact, too. 

That is, this team has been mediocre or bad depending on the year but to add insult to injury its also been boring.  No pizzaz.  And its been like that post RG3.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Let's keep in mind Eli forced his way onto the Giants and that diva move was karmically punished with two Super Bowl wins. As in geopolitics, there is a case for realism: you do whatever you gotta do to win! 

Yeah, if i recall that was promulgated by Eli's Daddy...so not sure Eli would be the diva, more a puppy wagging his tail to daddy 🤣

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Diva behavior. Elway displayed it too. 

Some have said Mahomes too behind the scenes.  Aaron Rodgers.

Edit:

lol i see am late to the party on that one, a big Rodgers debate on the other thread.  I didn't see that before posting. 

• Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not me. Nix feels like Colt McCoy to me -- low tier starter, high end back up.  But I'll trust whatever the GM does-likes.  Speaking of which what if the GM disagrees about your takes on the top 3 QBs?  Would you ride and trust it?  Or slam them for it?

Slam him honestly.  josh Harris stated publicly he wants to organization to emulate the Ravens.  Drafting a QB that high would be the most anti ravens thing ever.  And the most snyderesque thing.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, WEARE1554 said:

Slam him honestly.  josh Harris stated publicly he wants to organization to emulate the Ravens.  Drafting a QB that high would be the most anti ravens thing ever.  And the most snyderesque thing.

The Ravens used their 1st round pick to draft Joe Flacco as the second QB off the board in 2008. Using that logic, the Commies going QB at 3 would be no different.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

Ravens typically don't pick high enough to be able to take QBs that high.  But their two best QBs have been first round QBs, Flacco mid first, Lamar late first.

So if the GM loves a QB early on the draft pass on him because he's in the top 5? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I was really talking about the if of taking McCarty if we liked him that much. If so, you wouldn't trade out of a spot and hope he'd still be there several picks later.

But for him specifically, if he comes out I would expect him to go a lot higher than that. I don't consider that website's rankings to be all that compelling. 

It's not an editorial selection though, it's just aggregated data.  So you have to take issue with the collective opinion, which is why I brought up the definition of a reach debate from earlier this year.

And I don't really have an issue with it, I just find discussion of perception and reality when it comes to the draft interesting.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ravens typically don't pick high enough to be able to take QBs that high.  But their two best QBs have been first round QBs, Flacco mid first, Lamar late first.

So if the GM loves a QB early on the draft pass on him because he's in the top 5? 

In my opinion yes.  We have so many other needs.  Could it work out sure, but I would rather invest in other areas.

2 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

At number 18th not 2/3/4 overall

Yes but that was their pick. The Ravens have not had a top-5 draft pick since before Ozzie Newsome was GM so you can't say one way or the other what they would in that situation.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

In my opinion yes.  We have so many other needs.  Could it work out sure, but I would rather invest in other areas.

OK to each their own.  Other needs can be addressed in other rounds.  I suspect you will be dissapointed because not many teams in this situation will pass on a QB picking this high. I'd be shocked if this team passes on a QB. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Btw, as much as I have been crowing about recruiting Caleb to force his way to DC, I'm not married to that.

I'm good with whichever QB the new FO covets. The greater point I'm making is simply that if they believe Caleb is significantly better than Maye/Daniels, that they should make a strong push to go get him. If they like all 3 guys and are fine sitting at 2 or 3 and taking whoever is left, I'm good with that too. 

• Like 1

Reality is you can spin any potential move the franchise makes negatively because there will always be examples of busts in all manners of positions.

As much as I’ll be rooting for us to get certain guys in the draft (all part of the fun), any direction the new regime chooses, whoever they may be, will have my full support and I’ll be excited!

• Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK to each their own.  Other needs can be addressed in other rounds.  I suspect you will be dissapointed because not many teams in this situation will pass on a QB picking this high. I'd be shocked if this team passes on a QB. 

I have this sinking feeling in my stomach we're going to blow it against Dallas and end up picking 5th and get a tackle.

Which we need.  But I have no idea what the hell they will do at QB if that's the scenario. Maybe re-sign Brissett and hope for the best.  But that didn't work out for Ron.  We need a plan at QB.  Unless there is a guy whoever the new guys like later in the draft, like a Dak or Hurts, they've GOT to get another QB somehow to start developing as a future starter.

I'm moving more and more to the view point Harris needs to fire Ron before Dallas, install anybody in at interim coach to absolutely make sure the players who play don't have the ability to win.  I'd be happy to be the hatchet man for him if he wanted me to do it.  

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

This is a big part of it too. This fanbase needs a freshly drafted face to cling to. A head of the franchise kind of guy. We are in position to do it. So do it now. And the bottom line is the NFL is an entertainment business. You want to sell tickets fans need to be entertained. It is time to draft a top QB.

To your point the tweet below, not sure I agree it means Caleb but I get the sentiment

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have this sinking feeling in my stomach we're going to blow it against Dallas and end up picking 5th and get a tackle.

Which we need.  But I have no idea what the hell they will do at QB if that's the scenario. Maybe re-sign Brissett and hope for the best.  But that didn't work out for Ron.  We need a plan at QB.  Unless there is a guy whoever the new guys like later in the draft, like a Dak or Hurts, they've GOT to get another QB somehow to start developing as a future starter.

I'm moving more and more to the view point Harris needs to fire Ron before Dallas, install anybody in at interim coach to absolutely make sure the players who play don't have the ability to win.  I'd be happy to be the hatchet man for him if he wanted me to do it.  

• Like 1