Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To your point the tweet below, not sure I agree it means Caleb but I get the sentiment

Let’s go Jake Fromm!

If this FO comes in and truly wanted Williams, I would guess they’d go up and guarantee getting him rather than let the draft unfold. But being at 2 is substantial. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

I hate trading up for QB. Too much pressure to on the qb and franchise. Take what comes. 

That's the fear talking. Push past it! Action and inaction are both active choices. That's what I told myself when my gf asked "what are we?" after our 4th date. Time will tell how that plays out but my point is, fortune favors the bold!

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

This is a big part of it too. This fanbase needs a freshly drafted face to cling to. A head of the franchise kind of guy. We are in position to do it. So do it now. And the bottom line is the NFL is an entertainment business. You want to sell tickets fans need to be entertained. It is time to draft a top QB.

I don't give a rat's ass about the fanbase.  I want to win and if that means we pass on an RG3-type for more draft capital or better long-term value then that's great.  Snyder pandered to the fan-base and screwed us for generations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Xameil said:

What if they dont covet any QB?

If that's true, go BPA (MH Jr or LT) and get a developmental guy in the 2nd or a later round and search for stopgap options (or if they like Howell, build around him and see if he can take another step forward).

I'll trust the FOs assessment, but I doubt they don't like one or more of these top QB prospects. 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I don't give a rat's ass about the fanbase.  I want to win and if that means we pass on an RG3-type for more draft capital or better long-term value then that's great.  Snyder pandered to the fan-base and screwed us for generations.

This is absolutely true. I see both (all three?) sides of this conversation. I’m still not sure where I land.

On one hand: Rivera’s regime started with pick #2 and we went with an Edge who was traded because of his reported work ethic and lack of production for what was supposed to be a generational prospect while Tua and Herbert look great. So we need to take a QB this time.

On the other hand: Not all situations are equal. It may not actually be best to go QB this year. Maybe we really do need to pour resources into the surrounding cast before making a move at QB (and maybe that includes stockpiling assets).

As far as trading goes: I don’t think this is the year to do it. If we go QB or not, we need to start shaping the roster for the new regime in a progressive way. If we go QB and opt to trade up, the assets required to trade up will hurt. Yes, we have a ton of cap space… but we have something like 39 players under contract. We legitimately have to fill out our entire roster. 

If we go QB, I think we need to stay put. That’s one opinion I’ve firmly landed on. Trading up would be a mistake this year.

Now… if we fix our OL a bit, starting plugging some holes on the roster with some talent this year… we can always trade up next year. The team is assembled for the most part, the plan has begun and started to be executed. That’s when you strike, imo. But the consensus is that next year’s QB draft stinks and this one is great (not sold on that yet, myself). 

But then you have the issue of wtf do you do at QB this year? You can throw Howell out there but if he’s Ramsey’d what does that accomplish besides destroying team morale. So, to the point many are making: QB is important.

So I just went full circle and still don’t know what to think :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There is one upset this weekend that we have to be rooting hard for because it would virtually lock us into the #2 pick ... The Cardinals beating the Eagles. It's a major uphill battle, but that would have the effect of us basically locking in Pick #3 at as a floor, and the loss for the Eagles would make it virtually impossible for the Pats to overtake our SOS for #2.

Looking less likely:

44 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

IMO Dan's issue wasn't pandering to the fan base at least not post Vinny Cerrato.  If anything he didn't seem to give a rats ass about the fans.  Aside from the trade up for RG3, he and his buddy Bruce ran the most boring operation and roster in the NFL. 

I agree doing something jazzy for a change isn't the operative point.  It's winning.  But if you can both make a move that helps you win and throw a rare bone to fans as a gravy -- while you don't care about it and that's cool -- I'd guess Harris does since he's running a business.  But will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Bifflog said:

So, we'd take the consensus (via nflmockdraftdatabase.com) 33rd prospect, at 4?

I understand the QB premium but there were lengthy "what is a reach?" discussions last draft...

That means nothing right now, zero percent of the offseason pre-draft process has happened. If McCarthy declares, there will be a lot more information gathered on him by the time draft weekend rolls around. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mhd24 said:

We have to root for Detroit against Dallas not only for the SOS argument, but also for giving an incentive for Dallas to win against us.

That doesn’t make sense. If the Cowboys lose to Detroit and the Eagles beat the Cardinals, the Cowboys would be locked into the fifth seed and have nothing to play for in their final game. If Dallas beats the Lions, they are guaranteed to still have a chance at the division title no matter what the Eagles do against Arizona.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Franklin60 said:

That doesn’t make sense. If the Cowboys lose to Detroit and the Eagles beat the Cardinals, the Cowboys would be locked into the fifth seed and have nothing to play for in their final game. If Dallas beats the Lions, they are guaranteed to still have a chance at the division title no matter what the Eagles do against Arizona.

I figured Dallas doesn't want to enter the postseason with 4 straight losses.  Heck, they played Dak for 3 quarters against us last year.