Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

I didn't see the Braeden Daniels to IR coming.  My instinct was to put him on the initial 53 then maybe IR so you'd have the option to bring him back later, but it sounds like the staff is pretty confident that he won't be ready this year and if it injuries hit the O-Line and they need to bring in somebody, they are better off going to our practice squad or signing somebody off the street.

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I think early on Kemp had the lead but the last few games some other guys have outplayed him in preseason games. That may have also been the case in camp. 

I didn't think he was going to make the roster.  Either Standig or Grant Paulsen was saying Kemp was with EB in KC, and had size, and therefore he had an upper hand.  But I don't really remember him doing anything special.  

Hmm  12 yr back-up made over $25M and no, not all from Washington. I wish I was so "not cut out for the NFL". Nothing wrong with being a carer backup and thats what Jay had him hear fro, was to be a back-up and a back-up only. 🙂    BTW - Isn't the statute of limitations over for ****ing about Jay Gruden? :cheers:

I wasn't ****ing about Jay Gruden. There is no statute of limitations about joking about a coach's man-crush on a mediocre player.  I still give Gibbs grief for keeping Reed Doughty around for YEARS when it was clear he couldn't actually play football at a high level.  It was most prevalent with Jay though, who loved him some McCoy, Fat Rob Kelly Sean Luavao.  

McCoy's problem is he was fine as a spot backup, never good enough to be a starter, except when he did play, he always got hurt, which makes him a bad backup.

I congratulate him on his 12 year career.  I'd take him on a roster over our previous backup any day of the week.  

I don't think Fromm clears waivers. He is not starting material of course but even back-up is thin and teams are trying to keep 3, especially with the new emergency QB rule. Quite a few more roster spots available. He has experience and has had some good moments in relief. Cowboys just spent a 4th on QB3. 

I think we're going to find out he will.  A team has to 1. use a waiver claim on him, 2. use a 53-man roster spot on him, and then 3. teach him an offense. Every team has a 3rd, and most teams have a 4th guy who's been with them the entire camp.  If you're looking for an emergency guy, you go with the guy who's been with you for the entire off-season.  Even if that's just to get a guy who can call plays and hand the ball off. 

He really doesn't have a lot of experience, and when he played for the Giants in the regular season, he completed 45% of his passes with a QBR of 18.  

I'm not worried about Fromm clearing waivers. That's a "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" decision as far as I'm concerned.  

22 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

But KC already has Mahomes, Gabbert and of course Buechele. I don't see that happening. 

I was responding to @kingdaddy who mentioned KC. I don't see it happening either.  But of the three he mentioned, KC is the one which would be the most obvious.  You'd also look at Jax with Pederson.  Maybe a few others with HC/OCs directly off the Reid tree.  

• Like 1

One more thing: I think they're going to get Armah on the team by Day 1.  But I don't think he makes the initial 53. 

34 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I know nothing about the guy lol...comparing his overall PFF grade to the guys we have:

Christian Kirksey - 56.1

Jamin Davis - 62.9

Cody Barton - 63.7

Khaleke Hudson - 55.9

David Mayo - 54.7

MUST. RESIST. PFF.  RANT.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

There is no way that Brissett is being traded. He’s the backup.

With a young first time starter you need an experienced vet behind him. Zero chance we go into the season with essentially a rookie starter and Jake Fromm as the backup. 

I hear you, I'm just looking at what teams like New England do when they know they have a player that they can offload because they have someone else who's cheaper. Isn't Brissett signed for like 10 mil?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If this is true, then Patterson will not be brought back to the practice squad.  That's unfortunate.  I hope he tags on elsewhere.  

Kind of confusing how Keim typed that but think he meant that some PS guys would be named tomorrow?  You could be right.

Edited by HigSkin

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I hear you, I'm just looking at what teams like New England do when they know they have a player that they can offload because they have someone else who's cheaper. Isn't Brissett signed for like 10 mil?

$5.5M in signing and workout bonus (so spent money) and $3M in base. $7.5M was guaranteed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I know nothing about the guy lol...comparing his overall PFF grade to the guys we have:

Christian Kirksey - 56.1

Jamin Davis - 62.9

Cody Barton - 63.7

Khaleke Hudson - 55.9

David Mayo - 54.7

He’s a longtime solid starting backer. I would love to have him but the issue is I doubt he plays teams. 

His issue is that he missed nearly all of TC w a hammy injury. A potential move is signing him, IRing him and then activating him in the event an injury happens.

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

Had to look this up the figure out the difference but FWIW -

Waived vs. Released

When a player is cut, they are either “waived” or “released.” A player who has at least four accrued seasons is released, not waived, meaning their contract is immediately terminated and they are a free agent who can sign anywhere immediately. A player with less than four accrued seasons is “waived,” meaning their contract stays intact until they go through the waiver wire process.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, tomwvr said:

I was thinking Patterson should be on the PS. but there were tweets today that said the PS players they want will be cut tomorrow. Who knows if that's true or not...

It’s likely true.  Gives other teams less time to scrutinize the list to see if there is anybody they want to claim. I think.  I could be wrong about that, but I think I’m right…

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And any talk of Fromm over Brissett as the backup is ludicrous.  There's no way Ron is going to play Fromm in front of Brissett in a meaningful game until Brissett plays and plays poorly.  Playing ok in the last halves of pre-season games is one thing. Brissett has a track record of at least being competent as a starter.  He's getting the first shot if something happens to Howell.  And there shouldn't be any debate about it. 

Who's to say we couldn't trade Brissett and sign Colt McCoy or some other vet to fill the QB room. My point is that if the staff doesn't feel JB is worth what they're paying him and he can garner a draft pick then you look at all options. Fromm doesn't have to move to #2 if you deal Brissett....What you say is "ludicrous "is actually ludicrous because you don't know how the coaches feel about the QB competition. It's all speculation. Jacoby Brissett is making nice coin as an insurance policy and who knows if that is a factor in his roster situation. Likely it's not but some teams would cut bait.

There's talk here in Philly that the Eagles are gonna cut Marcus Mariotta, who signed for 5 mil guaranteed, for a rookie 6th round pick who has beaten him out. Check it out. Nothing is ludicrous if a player beats out another and RR is on record as saying he likes competition. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was responding to @kingdaddy who mentioned KC. I don't see it happening either.  But of the three he mentioned, KC is the one which would be the most obvious.  You'd also look at Jax with Pederson.  Maybe a few others with HC/OCs directly off the Reid tree.  

Got it, my bad!

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s likely true.  Gives other teams less time to scrutinize the list to see if there is anybody they want to claim. I think.  I could be wrong about that, but I think I’m right…

Maybe a little reverse psychology?  Listen up NFL, Patterson isn't practice squad worthy, bc if he was, we would've cut him tomorrow, so go ahead and remove him from consideration.