Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

27 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Wow, that's a big fail, 17th pick in 2021... You'd think he could have fit in someplace lol

He’s just been cut from his second NFL team before the end of his guaranteed 4 year rookie deal and the Bears will be eating over $4M of dead cap to waive him. He’s also been tried inside at G after being awful at T. That might be it for him as an NFL player.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed. I believe Colt has beaten us in the past as a member of the Giants. And I also believe he also helped us beat the cowboys in a game where we were heavy under dogs. Too lazy to fact check those.  

I'd rather face Dobbs who is only been there a short period of time or a rookie like Tune in his first NFL game than face Colt.

Yep. Colt helped us beat Dallas on Monday Night Football.

30 minutes ago, MartinC said:

By the way just how bad were Mike Mayocks drafts? Just brutal. Apparently talking about the draft on TV (or message boards!) is a lot harder than actually doing it. 

Gruden had a heavy hand on those drafts, especially the early rounds, but yeah Mayock is never escaping the stink either way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

He’s just been cut from his second NFL team before the end of his guaranteed 4 year rookie deal and the Bears will be eating over $4M of dead cap to waive him. He’s also been tried inside at G after being awful at T. That might be it for him as an NFL player.

Leatherwood got so far off of his high school recruiting hype.  Won an Outland Trophy and got picked in the first round for being the highest ranked recruit on an absolutely stacked championship Alabama offense.  His college film wasn't good, his traits weren't good, and he got destroyed at the Senior Bowl.  I hated him as a prospect and don't think it's ever a good idea to draft offensive linemen who can't bend their legs.  Over the years I've come to realize that the HS recruiting services are incredibly awful at projecting high school offensive linemen.  Basically they just determine whether the kid is already bigger and faster and stronger than other kids his age, and as those early advantages rapidly peter out, their grades become useless.  There are so many more Walker Littles and Foster Sarrells and Alex Leatherwoods and Isaiah Wilsons than Trey Smiths and Charles Crosses.  It's not that only about 1 out of every 5 five star OLs they grade become good NFL players, most of them don't even end up being good college players.  Meanwhile programs like Wisconsin will take 240 pound three star tight ends and turn them into future 10 year pros at OT.  We should go into all college OL projection blind to their recruiting background from now on.  I think knowledge of it can do more harm than good.

• Like 8

I didn't realize the size of practice squads were increased to 16 players. Wow that's great, i was thinking it was 12.

With almost 1200 players that need to be cut by 4pm league wide, today this thread is going to be a whirlwind of activity.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I didn't realize the size of practice squads were increased to 16 players. Wow that's great, i was thinking it was 12.

With almost 1200 players that need to be cut by 4pm league wide, today this thread is going to be a whirlwind of activity.

It's good for stashing players you want to keep.  It also limits the team's ability to find help at need positions, like this team, from late cuts from other teams.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Talk about writing on the wall... WAPO:  In camp, Patterson sensed he was sliding down the depth chart when he played cornerback as the offense installed its new West Coast scheme.

Personally, I hate to see him get cut. I really like the way he plays the game and the type of team player he is.I would keep him over Gore on the practice squad or as a fourth running back if they decided to go with four.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tarpon75 said:

Personally, I hate to see him get cut. I really like the way he plays the game and the type of team player he is.I would keep him over Gore on the practice squad or as a fourth running back if they decided to go with four.

Agreed. The guy is a true football player. It’s just a shame he does not have the speed you would want for a guy his size

• Thanks 1

Looks like they are doing the gamble with Fromm that he clears and makes it to Ps and they only carry 2 QBs. It’s an educated gamble and it frees another spot on the 53. This is where a WBK may sneak in from my original prediction

This new for Hodges, beat guys have expected him as a cut leading up to this

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Looks like they are doing the gamble with Fromm that he clears and makes it to Ps and they only carry 2 QBs. It’s an educated gamble and it frees another spot on the 53. This is where a WBK may sneak in from my original prediction

I still think the surprise move today is them signing Bostic

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No way they carry 8 DEs

Edited by method man

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He is completely washed. Hoped the change in scenery with the Browns would help him but he still sucked. I wonder what happened as it doesn’t seem like it was injury. May just be a guy who stopped trying after getting the big contract

Of all players cut thus far who I am aware of, Kirksey is the guy who I think would really help. With Jamin’s situation and Barton’s slow progression, he would be nice insurance. They can start with him on IR due to his hamstring as well.

Edited by method man

2 minutes ago, method man said:

No way they carry 8 DEs

I have them keeping Young, Sweat, Henry, Jones, JSW, WBK

Where did you get 8 from my predictions?

Obada is a swing DE/DT and would be kept for DT depth more than anything, imo.