Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

17 minutes ago, method man said:

It matters. If Howell or Brissett go down, you don’t want a Garrett Gilbert situation where you bring in a guy who doesn’t know the offense

If we're down to a journeyman 3rd string QB, it doesn't matter if they do or don't know the offense. We're screwed regardless. Our only shot at actually making the playoffs is Howell developing. Journeyman 3rd string QB, who cares.

As we watched, we were surprised to see Manning taking virtually all the reps in the session.  Jon [Gruden] asked Tom [Moore, the Colts offensive coordinator,] why he wasn’t giving some snaps to Peyton’s backups…He looked at us both in the eye, paused for a moment, then said in that gravelly voice of his, “Fellas, if ‘18’ goes down, we’re ****ed.  And we don’t practice ****ed.”

[redacted] was fun and all, but that's the upper ceiling attainable from a 3rd string whose bounced around the league. This is a make or break season for the front office, coaches, and roster. Having a bottom tier talent that knows the offense come in after the 1st and 2nd string QB's miss games isn't going to save the roster, coaches, front office, or the season.

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

If we're down to a journeyman 3rd string QB, it doesn't matter if they do or don't know the offense. We're screwed regardless. Our only shot at actually making the playoffs is Howell developing. Journeyman 3rd string QB, who cares.

I don't disagree with you but the SF 49ers might. If your roster is strong it can take you far as long as you have a QB who can run the offense and not turn the ball over. See Brock Purdy.

Love the Tom Moore quote!

16 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

I was wondering when this was going to happen.. he was getting burnt all preseason long

He’s been decent in the slot but to make the 53 he needed to show he could also play outside. I think he showed pretty conclusively that he can’t play outside corner in the NFL. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

I don't disagree with you but the SF 49ers might. If your roster is strong it can take you far as long as you have a QB who can run the offense and not turn the ball over. See Brock Purdy.

Love the Tom Moore quote!

Purdy wasn't a journeyman though. He was a drafted rookie (same with Howell) last season. This was Fromm's 3rd team.

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I just saw that Jamison Crowder got released by the Giants?  Punt returner?

Don't know what he has left but I'd be happy to see Crowder come back as a punt returner and veteran option for Howell. Don't think there's room for him though?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I just saw that Jamison Crowder got released by the Giants?  Punt returner?

That’s an interesting thought. He hasn’t done it much since he was with us though. Not sure how much juice he has left in the tank. 

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Don't know what he has left but I'd be happy to see Crowder come back as a punt returner and veteran option for Howell. Don't think there's room for him though?

He’d take Milne’s spot presumably.