Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

On 9/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, skinny21 said:

I’m curious about Abdullah Anderson.  As the 4th DT, you’d assume he’s going to get a fair bit of playing time… unless maybe JSW features heavily as a 3 tech sub?

Not sure he will play much. Allen and Payne traditionally eat up a lot of snaps. Last year Payne played on 86.97% of defensive snaps and Allen on 76.82% on snaps. The 3rd DT in snaps was Josh Ridgeway, who played on 26.82%, or around 17 per game. But the 4th DT? Now you're reaching for anything. And that's not accounting for the fact someone like JSW could take those snaps, as you mentioned. He probably only sees a handful of snaps at best.

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

Not sure he will play much. Allen and Payne traditionally eat up a lot of snaps. Last year Payne played on 86.97% of defensive snaps and Allen on 76.82% on snaps. The 3rd DT in snaps was Josh Ridgeway, who played on 26.82%, or around 17 per game. But the 4th DT? Now you're reaching for anything. And that's not accounting for the fact someone like JSW could take those snaps, as you mentioned. He probably only sees a handful of snaps at best.

I'm curious who plays when they go 5 DL, and I'd be especially curious if Young is out.  

With Obada and Mathis on IR, you're looking at Sweat, Allen, Payne and Ridgeway + 1 if they go 5 DL.  Who is that?  If it's Young, then that's the obvious answer.  If it's not, then who?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm curious who plays when they go 5 DL, and I'd be especially curious if Young is out.  

With Obada and Mathis on IR, you're looking at Sweat, Allen, Payne and Ridgeway + 1 if they go 5 DL.  Who is that?  If it's Young, then that's the obvious answer.  If it's not, then who?

Sweat, JSW, Payne, Ridgeway, Allen

Davis/Barton

Juice, Curl, Butler/Forbes, DeFo, Fuller

I think that's the most common line up for us with 5 DL and where they'll be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoSkins1976 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Cox can bring to the LB core. I feel that group hasn't received as much attention as its needed over the past few years.

He certainly has some potential that the Cowboys may have just squandered or been too impatient to exploit. 

More likely though is (that like most PS signings), he never sees the field for us because he’s a flawed player with injury issues. 

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

He certainly has some potential that the Cowboys may have just squandered or been too impatient to exploit. 

More likely though is (that like most PS signings), he never sees the field for us because he’s a flawed player with injury issues. 

I think he minimally should replace Hudson next season as the LB3. That makes this a good move for us and poor for the poor Cowboys 😁

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I would expect that if Young can’t play week 1 and with Obada on IR we won’t see any 5 DL sets. 

18 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I would expect that if Young can’t play week 1 and with Obada on IR we won’t see any 5 DL sets. 

You’d think.  But they also have so few Lbs, the plan all along for running downs was 5-2-4 or 5-1-5 with one of the safeties playing the Buffalo role.

If they have to go traditional 4-3, eeek, that’s not gear and blows the entire off-season plan in week 1

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You’d think.  But they also have so few Lbs, the plan all along for running downs was 5-2-4 or 5-1-5 with one of the safeties playing the Buffalo role.

If they have to go traditional 4-3, eeek, that’s not gear and blows the entire off-season plan in week 1

They will probably play Curl in the WLB role in a big nickel base. I don’t think we see many snaps with 3 backers outside of maybe short yardage or goal line all season. 

Given the lack of talent and depth the Cards have at receiver it’s hard to say how they are going to line up. Normally you’d see a ton of 11 personnel and sub defense but who knows with the Cards. 

7 hours ago, moondog said:

Just saw we signed Jamison crowder to the PS. I like it. Hopefully can help Kaz develop as a punt returner and a solid reliable vet that can be called up if needed. 

With Milne seemingly going to be out with a groin injury very good chance Crowder is active Sunday as the primary punt returner.

12 hours ago, MartinC said:

With Milne seemingly going to be out with a groin injury very good chance Crowder is active Sunday as the primary punt returner.

Interestingly, Im not seeing Jon Allen listed.

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Table - Injury report

Player

Position

Injury

Wed

Thu

Fri

Game Status

Dax Milne

WR

Groin