Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I knew a girl in college named Violet Cox.

Not a joke.

Also had a friend named Scott Crabbs.  He’s Scott Crabbs!

Both are wonderful people and I’m sure 7th grade just sucked for them. 

Bob Sagats sister was my English and homeroom teacher for 4 years of middle school. She hated me, and I her.

Gay Sagat.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Linebackers can take time to develop....I remember the days of the Steelers pretty much red-shirting stud LB's to learn from the others in their system before they unleashed them. Jamin Davis was pretty raw when we drafted him and he's coming along. Maybe the same will happen with Henry? We can only hope right? 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Henry is a DE. But I certainly agree you need to give players time to develop. They obviously rated him to trade up to get him.

We can only hope that Henry can develop into a positive contributor followed by a starter. Right now that looks to be a ways off. The team sure as heck couldn't cut him due to the potential they say in him and evidently their concern at least other team felt the same, hence the trade up to secure him.  It's going to be the same with Daniels but now the injury and recoup tie will take away his hands on practice/play time. Those reps would be the best thing for any OL's growth. 

5 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

I'm very happy Larsen is returning. He is a solid vet backup who proved he could handle himself as a starter last season.

As good as it is to see him back with the team, it sucks Mathis back to the familiar place of the IR. I wasn't a huge fan when his name was announced last year and we have yet to get anything out of the very valuable second round selection. Hoping is back and healthy soon!

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah a few beat guys referenced it.  Even Bram who is the most optimistic about this team among the beat guys said LB wasn't a concern for him before camp but it is a concern of his now.

I have no idea how Bram could not have a concern over the LBs going into the season.  Davis and Barton where there only 2 with any hope of being good and they were both unproven gambles.  

After Washington’s practice Wednesday, head coach Ron Rivera — a former NFL linebacker — was asked what he saw in Cox.

“Well, we remember the young man coming out at LSU,” Rivera said.

“He’s a physical specimen, a young man that can run and can make an impact. And again, it’s one of those things that he’ll have to learn, he’ll have to grow, but he’s got the skillset that you’re looking for as far as that position is concerned. As I said, he’s a guy that we really did like coming out of the draft that year.”

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/31/washington-commanders-ron-rivera-2023-nfl-season-jabril-cox/?taid=64f07768f1734700017861ba&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, “Misdirection” said:

If the practice squad was just a staging area to work with young potential players, the players that I'd be happy with are Brooks, Gore, Potoa'e, Tremayne and Whiteside.

If it's to stash backups then I like having Fromm, Armah, WBK, TCF and JJS (maybe Kaz).

Honestly, half the players on this PS (as well as many other teams PS) aren't impressive and probably don't belong on a roster. 

I do find it a little concerning that they didn't make any claims other than grabbing Cox. 

Hodges belongs on the PS not the roster over what Armah brings to the table. 

I wish they had ventured into competition for a FB/HB/TE role as there were others that would have provided nice competition for Armah during camp. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dyst said:

Linebacker - just go get Rueban Foster again from the USFL

Dude, I misread that initially, thought you said we just got Rueben Foster!  lol

Though I did see where Miami and Seattle brought him in for a look see.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It worked at QB for us for a couple years.  :ols:

Cooley making his way back into the fold or have  I just not noticed him around lately?

Edited by Chris 44

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Bob Sagats sister was my English and homeroom teacher for 4 years of middle school. She hated me, and I her.

Gay Sagat.

Had a coworker at my last job named Harry Lichter. Worked with him on a project for two months. He said his parents must have hated him......funny dude though.

• Like 1

I guess I'm kind of glad the team signed an LB. But it's the most ES thing ever for people to spend pages devoted to press clippings and speculations about the development potential of a practice squad LB that was cut by a team who drafted him last season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MrJL said:

it's not like it's that rare a name.  Hell, he's got a long way to go before he's even the most most famous linebacker in the NFL named it.  And as for women, Nikki Cox and the even  more famous Courtney Cox

Here in Richmond there is an intersection where Nuckols meets Cox.

23 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Reading between the lines. Turner is no longer here so we'll be much better offensively.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

If the practice squad was just a staging area to work with young potential players, the players that I'd be happy with are Brooks, Gore, Potoa'e, Tremayne and Whiteside.

If it's to stash backups then I like having Fromm, Armah, WBK, TCF and JJS (maybe Kaz).

Honestly, half the players on this PS (as well as many other teams PS) aren't impressive and probably don't belong on a roster. 

I do find it a little concerning that they didn't make any claims other than grabbing Cox. 

Hodges belongs on the PS not the roster over what Armah brings to the table. 

I wish they had ventured into competition for a FB/HB/TE role as there were others that would have provided nice competition for Armah during camp. 

FYI, Gore turns 29 this season.  To your point though, I think that’s exactly what the PS is - a combo of guys you trust to step into a backup role if an injury occurs, and guys you like that need developing.  Though, and I think this is the case with this group, the focus continues to be on mostly younger players (even with the rule change).

As for Armah, I wonder if he didn’t make the roster because our backs are all guys that (seem like they) can handle short yardage, Hodges offers more in the passing game (if he catches the ball), and the top 3 TEs have a blend of blocking ability.  Of course, the major reasons might be the offensive scheme and the fact ST is covered by others.

43 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I guess I'm kind of glad the team signed an LB. But it's the most ES thing ever for people to spend pages devoted to press clippings and speculations about the development potential of a practice squad LB that was cut by a team who drafted him last season.

I mean, I hear you, but almost every post was about his last name…

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/five-teams-put-in-waiver-claims-for-elijah-higgins-cardinals-had-highest-priority

Five NFL teams put in waiver claims for Higgins a day after he failed to make the Dolphins’ 53-player roster, according to Field Yates of ESPN. That made him the most-claimed player in the NFL, with the Colts, Titans, Commanders and Packers all putting in claims but the Cardinals getting him because they were the highest in the waiver priority list. (The waiver order is the same as the NFL draft order, so the Cardinals get third priority, after the Bears and Texans.)

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2