Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

So the Ravens cut the TE who scored two impressive TD's against us and it has me thinking about which TE we could cut in order to pick this kid, or another free agent TE up? I keep coming back to Logan Thomas as the odd man out due to his injury history and his age in addition to his cap number. What do we really expect to get out of LT this season that's over and above what the others can provide as a group? Is it worth keeping him around at the expense of playing time for the younger guys and a roster spot for a younger prospect? 

I think the Ravens cutting a TE who torched us is less about what a complete TE collection they have that they can cut good player and more about how we can't stop even expendable preseason TEs from torching us.

• Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I think the Ravens cutting a TE who torched us is less about what a complete TE collection they have that they can cut good player and more about how we can't stop even expendable preseason TEs from torching us.

It’s both, the Ravens have had a deep TE group for years now. Since around the time Waller was plucked off their PS as a WR-to-TE convert that they were hoping to stash. 

13 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Just curious.... Who thinks Washington will actually trade for or select another team's waived/released player to add to the Commanders roster? 

Versus who thinks Washington will decide to "stand pat" and not pursue any other team's players and just focus on getting their own players on the practice squad --and not bring in anybody new that hadn't been with them in preseason?

I tend to think Rivera and Co. will not be very active during this waiver-wire period, and just work with the folks they had in TC and preseason.

There's not typically that many claims anyway, usually less than 1 per team, though it's often skewed by some teams grabbing a few guys. That said, Washington did make two claims last year at this time, Rachad Wildgoose and Tariq Castro-Fields.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Just curious.... Who thinks Washington will actually trade for or select another team's waived/released player to add to the Commanders roster? 

Versus who thinks Washington will decide to "stand pat" and not pursue any other team's players and just focus on getting their own players on the practice squad --and not bring in anybody new that hadn't been with them in preseason?

I tend to think Rivera and Co. will not be very active during this waiver-wire period, and just work with the folks they had in TC and preseason.

One thing which I think is impossible to know is if they put any waiver claims in but a team higher in the pecking order grabs them.  It’s never publicized for obvious reasons: you don’t want the guys you kept to know you were trying to sign their replacement.  

So that part of the equation is unknown. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Of course we claimed no one, rarely does Rivera want to shake things up too much, he’s comfortable with the guys we have in-house for better or worse. 

I really would have liked Rush, the Chiefs getting him at the bottom of the order means we could have had him. Would have really liked to have those traits developing at the bottom of the DB depth chart here. And on a 5th round rookie contract it would have been like canceling out that dumb trade up for KJ Henry. 

• Like 4

Ok so Fromm claired waiver's. Kudos to those who predicted it. I really thought someone would grab him based on the new emergency QB rule. Have to assume with 16 spots they put him on the PS. 

Like the final 53 overall. Will be lots of folks back on the PS. They have had a p[retty good summer so far. Let's see how it translates on the fiedl. 

I think EB will be more aggressive more often in his offense. KC was and he seemed to be in PS. That may help the team get off strong - oh and playing AZ who should be dead man walking. I saw today there are more rumors abotyu trading tyler Murray. Just rumors so far but never know. They could see out this season looking for a top draft pick to grab thier franchise stud. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We didn’t pick up any of the trash from other teams. What an awful feeling. 

Pretty arrogant to believe that there aren’t any teams out there with guys who just barely missed a 53, who happen to be better than guys who just barely made our own 53. You realize how silly it sounds to be dismissive of a whole avenue of roster building?

You’re developing a bad habit of wanting to push back so hard on the haters who are overblowing certain things that you’re actually becoming an equally biased excuse-maker imo. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

You’re developing a bad habit of wanting to push back so hard on the haters who are overblowing certain things that you’re actually becoming an equally biased excuse-maker imo. 

You wanted to take Rush? And cut who?

Lots of teams don’t grab players off of other teams cut lists. 

Because we didn’t take anyone isn’t proof of anything. 

I’m not making excuses for anybody. I’m not overly happy with this year’s draft or FA haul. 

But using the “we didn’t pick up a waiver wire player” as further proof  that Ron is incompetent or out of touch is a reach for you as well.

I like both of us as posters. I think from a self-analytical standpoint we could both probably move our posts back to the middle a bit. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

For our "loaded" roster, and don't get me wrong i like it.  3 things stand out.

A.  2nd team defense didn't look hot this preseason. 

B.  Multiple beat guys are especially concerned about depth at TE, LB, O line. 

C.  Other teams had no interest in the players who didn't make this roster.

My point is the depth might not be as good as some thought.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, Conn said:

Of course we claimed no one, rarely does Rivera want to shake things up too much, he’s comfortable with the guys we have in-house for better or worse. 

I really would have liked Rush, the Chiefs getting him at the bottom of the order means we could have had him. Would have really liked to have those traits developing at the bottom of the DB depth chart here. And on a 5th round rookie contract it would have been like canceling out that dumb trade up for KJ Henry. 

Wildgoose, Castro-Fields, and Toohill (might also be others)  were waiver claims by Ron at similar times of year in the past. So I disagree with your premise that this is typical Rom behavior. I think they just liked their guys 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

doesn’t mean that’s the right decision by him, but if he’s done it before and didn’t do it now it’s not just comfortability. 

Another observation, every year we seem to have a back of roster WR/PR/KR battle. Pre-season heroes we can’t release or they’ll get claimed.

Every team has a ton of WRs and there’s always gonna be guys that get cut that fans love. 

Based on the list of waiver claims, not a single WR from any team was claimed. Chiefs made one 7th round swap trade with Smith-Marsette but that’s all I can think of 

more likely, guys that are released will have competing practice squad offers if they showed out at all

Edited by “Misdirection”
  • Like 2