Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

If you don't make a habit of skipping, then fine, whatever.  I'll assume something cane up.  But when skipping these OTAs is your move, that's a red flag.

It's supposed to be business, but hard not to take it personal when they decline your 5th year option, denying you millions of dollars, and don't seem like they have a ton of faith in you.  If this was a petulant move of protest on Chase's part, it wouldn't surprise me.  

Edited by justice98

lol, Chase is just getting beat up on 106.7.  Grant Paulsen said he checked with someone he knows with the team and was told by them there is no special reason for any of the three missing the OTAs.  A caller called in and repeated something another poster said on the FA thread which is he knows someone who said he sees Chase at a bar frequently stinking of alcohol and weed.   Hopefully that part isnt true. But just in general Chase is getting beat up pretty bad on talk radio.

Hopefully he shows up tomorrow. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 2

Hey, I try to be as fair as possible.  I’ve been pretty critical of Ron Rivera & this FO as of late, so when they do something logical or right, I’m going to acknowledge that as well.  Rivera & the FO are 100% right and have played this Chase Young situation perfectly.  Not picking up his 5th year option was not only correct, but it puts the onus on CY to have a breakout season in 2023, or he’s gone.  Him not showing up for voluntary OTA’s tells me that he’s not serious about being a leader, or to being fully committed to football.  I applaud Ron for how he’s handled this situation.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

The stench of Snyder still pervades this organization.  There's no need to start trashing the guy's character.  We will see this season.

I loved Chase the player and saw him as a good dude.    I pumped him up on various threads plenty.

The questioning his character is coming from multiple fronts via the media.  They of course could all be making it up. I guess will see.  But a lot of smoke building around Chase.   And Rivera's veiled comments about him haven't helped that front. 

I am hoping the competitor in him brings out his best this season.  Willingham, a 106.7 personality, went the other night he's heard about Chase's off field stuff but at the same time he believes that his desire is too great to not have a big season.  He could be right.  i am hoping.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I'm trying not to jump the gun, but I'm about to make my official answer as "trade him". Do it ASAP before its too late! Hell, if he has a mediocre season to start...trade'em! I seriously can't believe he would pull a hold out move after his production thus far...I'm going to wait and see though...

Guh...

I had hoped Sweat and Young had been seasoned and matured enough to not do this again. I thought they were making progress.

You can't be a team leader if you are not there.

Leno's absence does not bother me nearly as much but I don't like it either. He is 31 so he's not quite at the point where his age lets him get away with it no questions asked. He is just fully aware he has no threat at LT so he can get away with it.

Yet again the Mythic ggarriso prediction comes true, I tried to warn y'all about Chase DUNG years ago and you called me names.  Yet my sage wisdom has yet again proved correct, dung is a never has been, and lazy to boot. Boooooooooooooo

• Haha 1

I’ve posted this so many times but I’m not even sure Young was as good of a prospect as we were lead to believe. We never got meaningful measurables for him and those are critical for a game-changing EDGE, almost more than any other position the athleticism numbers actually matter for a pass rusher. I think it’s highly likely that he’s always been more of a Clowney than a Bosa, as an athlete and talent—and doesn’t have the chip on his shoulder or desire to be great to elevate himself to the next level. I wish we’d trade him, but we won’t. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

The Washington Commanders just wrapped up their first practice of OTAs. Here are some observations from the afternoon.

-- It was the first time we got to see Sam Howell working in Eric Bieniemy’s offense, and he looked the part taking the first team reps in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. His arm strength also showed itself in spurts; during individual drills, he rolled out to his right and unloaded a 30-yard shot to Curtis Samuel with a flick of the wrist.

-- Howell looked in command of the offense in the huddle and during plays, but his accuracy stuck out on several occasions. He only had four incompletions combined in both 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills: one was out of bounds targeting Brian Robinson, but the rest were drops. One of the more impressive passes was to Terry McLaurin with Benjamin St-Juste bearing down on him. Another highlight was a sideline toss to John Bates, who made the snag right before Jartavius Martin could break up the play.

Speaking of Martin, the defense utilized him at several positions on the field and held his own against bigger offensive targets like Logan Thomas. On one play, Martin's coverage was so effective that Thomas had to dive to try and make a play, although the pass from Howell ultimately fell the ground before he could secure it.

Phidarian Mathis, who missed basically all of his rookie season with an injury, was back on the field and working with the second defensive group behind Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen. Per NFL rules, there was little contact between groups, but Mathis did not look bothered by his knee as he bull rushed offensive linemen on his way to the quarterback. The Commanders were excited about what Mathis could add to the front before he got hurt against the Jacksonville Jaguars, so having him back in the fold is an encouraging sign.

-- There were moments where Jacoby Brissett showed the veteran moxy that Bieniemy and quarterbacks coach Tavita Pritchard have praised this offseason. That was clearest during red zone drills, where he was able to fit passes into tight windows. He had two touchdown passes during 7-on-7 drills: one to Cole Turner in the front corner of the end zone, and another to undrafted free agent Mitchell Tinsley.

-- Our first interception of OTAs comes from... cornerback Tariq Castro-fields. Brissett tried to air out a pass to Dyami Brown, but Castro-fields made the leap and secured the pass himself before jogging off the field in celebration.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

The Washington Commanders just wrapped up their first practice of OTAs. Here are some observations from the afterno

-- It was the first time we got to see Sam Howell working in Eric Bieniemy’s offense, and he looked the part taking the first team reps in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. His arm strength also showed itself in spurts; during individual drills, he rolled out to his right and unloaded a 30-yard shot to Curtis Samuel with a flick of the wrist.

-- Howell looked in command of the offense in the huddle and during plays, but his accuracy stuck out on several occasions. He only had four incompletions combined in both 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills: one was out of bounds targeting Brian Robinson, but the rest were drops. One of the more impressive passes was to Terry McLaurin with Benjamin St-Juste bearing down on him. Another highlight was a sideline toss to John Bates, who made the snag right before Jartavius Martin could break up the play.

Rooting for him to keep stacking solid days.  He's catching it from all angles, the national perspective which was more interested in other narratives; the portion of our fan base who just wants Ron gone (not that I blame them necessarily) and the quickest way is to speak the QB sucking into existence.  I sense a quiet confidence that will be easy to root for, so I'm all for hearing about positive practices for what they are worth, better than stinking up the joint anyhow...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, terpfan said:

That’s about as positive of an update as you can get on Howell. Means very little at this point but man… it’s hard not to get excited about what it would mean if he WAS actually the answer. 

It'd be hitting the franchise lotto, and I'd love it.  I said it in another thread, it would be cosmic justice if the very first QB that Dan Snyder cannot sit back and enjoy is the one that hits.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Chase missing it is a big deal anyways. Guy isn’t who we thought. Still not ready to scream bust but I question his desire to excel. Not his work ethic. But desire. Working hard means you put in sweat equity. Desire means nothing stops you.

I don't think he's a bust, I think he's a massive, massive disappointment.  To me, a bust is a player that shouldn't have been taken with the benefit of retrospect.  Chase was the right pick, he has just chosen ****ty choices that hurt him and the team. Busts can't turn it around, Chase is choosing to not.

That's what's most infuriating.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am hoping the competitor in him brings out his best this season.  Willingham, a 106.7 personality, went the other night he's heard about Chase's off field stuff but at the same time he believes that his desire is too great to not have a big season.  He could be right.  i am hoping.

That's the thing, OTA's and being with the team aren't there for fun; they're there to make players better. He can't have a great season without doing what makes people have a great season.

I'm, believe it or not, a pretty smart guy. That doesn't mean I can just desire and will myself to ace a test if I don't show up to class.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't think he's a bust, I think he's a massive, massive disappointment.  To me, a bust is a player that shouldn't have been taken with the benefit of retrospect.  Chase was the right pick, he has just chosen ****ty choices that hurt him and the team. Busts can't turn it around, Chase is choosing to not.

That's what's most infuriating.

A bust is a first round pick that doesn't work out, especially a top 5 pick. Chase hasn't been good and doesn't want to be good.  And I wouldn't say he has any more potential than other top young edge rushers.  Let's not forget he was compared to Lawrence Taylor.  So far, a big bust.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I’ve posted this so many times but I’m not even sure Young was as good of a prospect as we were lead to believe. We never got meaningful measurables for him and those are critical for a game-changing EDGE, almost more than any other position the athleticism numbers actually matter for a pass rusher. I think it’s highly likely that he’s always been more of a Clowney than a Bosa, as an athlete and talent—and doesn’t have the chip on his shoulder or desire to be great to elevate himself to the next level. I wish we’d trade him, but we won’t. 

Was overrated in college.

Great motor, but no moves -- and not quick twitch. Since the back of his rookie season, you wouldn't even notice him on the field if it wasn't for his hair.