Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Guh...

I had hoped Sweat and Young had been seasoned and matured enough to not do this again. I thought they were making progress.

You can't be a team leader if you are not there.

Leno's absence does not bother me nearly as much but I don't like it either. He is 31 so he's not quite at the point where his age lets him get away with it no questions asked. He is just fully aware he has no threat at LT so he can get away with it.

Real bummer these 3 didn't show. I am crossing my fingers that one or two of these guys have legit excuses.

These three no showing leads me to wonder, should we have gome Anton Harrison or Berg, or should we have gone Murphy, Smith or White?

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Sweat and Young are both gone next year. I think the writing is on the wall.

Would be annoying. Imagine we draft a 1st round EDGE because we won’t be within range to trade up for a worthwhile QB, and we’ll be back to square one. 

Sweat I think has a chance to get paid here, though. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Do we know where Stromberg played today? That would answer some questions 

RG then 3 years at C  I believe 

feels like most guys on the OL could fill at RG, it is LG that is concerning 

2 hours ago, Conn said:

I’ve posted this so many times but I’m not even sure Young was as good of a prospect as we were lead to believe. We never got meaningful measurables for him and those are critical for a game-changing EDGE, almost more than any other position the athleticism numbers actually matter for a pass rusher. I think it’s highly likely that he’s always been more of a Clowney than a Bosa, as an athlete and talent—and doesn’t have the chip on his shoulder or desire to be great to elevate himself to the next level. I wish we’d trade him, but we won’t. 

I think he was a very good prospect. But I was on record in that draft that we should be thinking about QB and I was hoping Cincy was stupid and took Chase.

Happy we got him at the time still. But not as sure as many (but was still pretty sure)

Read that Howell looked like a QB1 today. It’s OTAs so, not much stock but it’s better than not looking the part.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I have no idea who QB coach Tavita Pritchard is but he can't be worse than Zamp.

Go whoever you are! Coach em up!

Didn't even remember that we made the switch. I don't even remember any bad stories about Zamp, or good about Pritchard but I guess there must have been a reason for it?

24 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Didn't even remember that we made the switch. I don't even remember any bad stories about Zamp, or good about Pritchard but I guess there must have been a reason for it?

I knew about it, but did not know Zampese’s new role until I just looked it up - senior offensive advisor/game management.  That’s… interesting.

Edited by skinny21

So we have mediocre and below mediocre starting DEs not showing up on the field. They are so good that they don’t want to practice and learn how to hone their craft, even while going into contract years.

I hope at least one of them has a double digit sack season so we can franchise and trade. What a waste. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ToaCommander said:

Chase will be fine. Kid can play and needs to be healthy, no setbacks.

What is “fine” in the context of a blue chip 2nd overall pick who is in a contract year for all intents and purposes? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ToaCommander said:

In general he has under-preformed over his career to date. 

He also appears to want to be a team leader. Well, there is a lot more than just playing well on the field to earn that. 

He needs to have a big year to prove to this team and the others that is worth another big contract.

This is my second year of really following the off season, I've learned from last year to only trust the local guys when it comes to camp evaluations. I like Mina Kimes, but she's never liked us and I think it's fair to say that I doubt she gives us more than a look that scratches the surface. This isn't really a knock on her, I'm just using her as a broad example of all of these other sports analysts. If JP and all of the other guys who are actually at camp and know the team say we're looking sharp, I'll put more stock into it. If the local guys are saying what they're saying last year, I would be more concerned.

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Sweat and Young are both gone next year. I think the writing is on the wall.

It is too early to tell but my gut is Chase is gone whether he has a good season or not. If good maybe they trade him near the deadline.

It's Sweat that they will want to hang onto if he has a good season, even if it turns out to be a one year tag

I am a little surprised Leno didn't show with a new OC in place. Lots to learn there. 

Edited by DWinzit

4 hours ago, ToaCommander said:

He's not fine. Sure, he can turn things around and live up to expectations. Something I learned a long time ago is that you should never give up on a person. We're all people. Always give someone a fighting chance.

But that doesn't mean you don't need to move on from someone in a business sense.

It's going to be interesting, and he could show up today for all we know.

But it's just not a good look.

I've been saying I'd trade Sweat OR Young and leaning towards Sweat... but I think trading both shouldn't be off the table (though it's probably too late). 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

That's the thing, OTA's and being with the team aren't there for fun; they're there to make players better. He can't have a great season without doing what makes people have a great season.

I'm, believe it or not, a pretty smart guy. That doesn't mean I can just desire and will myself to ace a test if I don't show up to class.

Not sure.  But I do know that the team is dissappointed that he in the past missed so many OTAs.  They have a week less of OTAs this year because of a violation from last year.  Yet, he still didn't come. 

Now if he comes today with an excuse for yesterday, its cool IMO.  But if he misses this week its a bad look.  If my boss complained about something I've done over the years and I just doubled down on it -- it would come off unprofessional in my book.

I was a Chase Young freak before that draft.  I am really surprised about what has transpired.  Both as a player and a dude.  I don't know what to make of the rumbilings about him behavior wise.  There aren't a lot of specifics.  But I've heard enough to believe there has to be some fire to the smoke because the smoke is coming from too many sources. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

How sweet would it be if we actually got ahead of personnel moves instead of doing the comp pick dance. Not to reopen old wounds, but the tea leaves so obviously pointed to TW and cousins wanting out of DC. If Rivera and co are getting those vibes from chase or sweat I hope they make the smart play. I want proactive not reactive.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

How sweet would it be if we actually got ahead of personnel moves instead of doing the comp pick dance. Not to reopen old wounds, but the tea leaves so obviously pointed to TW and cousins wanting out of DC. If Rivera and co are getting those vibes from chase or sweat I hope they make the smart play. I want proactive not reactive.

I've eaten so much **** for my stance I'd trade them it's comical. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I've been saying I'd trade Sweat OR Young and leaning towards Sweat... but I think trading both shouldn't be off the table (though it's probably too late). 

To add to that point.  To build a roster you got to keep an open mind as information unfolds for better or worse.   So on this point my mind is open that Chase might be the dude to trade ultimately.

I was big time on keeping Chase and trading Sweat.  But Keim among others have said they are happy with Sweat last season -- they said he's matured a lot and he follows his assignments well, plays the scheme really well and has really good chemistry with Allen and Payne.  And further on said that they want to keep Sweat.  That's an opinion they've landed on.  The wildcard seems to be Chase.

Some who cover the team have gently implied that Chase might not be a hot influence on Sweat.   And if i had the same conversation 2 years ago, I'd guess its the reverse.

I am not out on Chase.  I want to see what he does this year.  But as the Junkies are talking about now -- if Chase doesn't come this week isn't he also sending a message that he doesn't want to be here. 

When you know your boss has an issue with this type of behavior and your boss flat out referencing making this a contract year to fuel more motivatiion out of Chase and then you follow through by doing the very thing that irritates your boss?    That could be a message.

But again for me that's only if Chase doesn't come today.  if he's back today IMO, its not big deal.

But regardless of Chase's behavior, I think its on the table to trade one of the edge pass rushers and right now at least according to Keim they want to keep Sweat.  So if so, then Chase is likely the trade bait but for them to get something for him, he needs to of course show something before the trading deadline.  It seems though intuititve to me that if Chase kills it before the trading deadline they consider trading Sweat, instead. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I've eaten so much **** for my stance I'd trade them it's comical. 

Yea some people don’t understand big picture.

remember the chaos of the football world when the giants traded obj. Not saying it got them much further along, but it was the correct move. **** Mara.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To add to that point.  To build a roster you got to keep an open mind as information unfolds for better or worse.   So on this point my mind is open that Chase might be the dude to trade ultimately.

I was big time on keeping Chase and trading Sweat.  But Keim among others have said they are happy with Sweat last season -- they said he's matured a lot and follow his assignments well and has really good chemistry with Allen and Payne.  And further on said they want to keep Sweat.  That's an opinion they've landed on.  The wildcard seems to be Chase.

Some who cover the team have gently implied that Chase might not be a hot influence on Sweat.   And if i had the same conversation 2 years ago, I'd guess its the reverse.

I am not out on Chase.  I want to see what he does this year.  But as the Junkies are talking about now -- if Chase doesn't come this week isn't he also sending a message that he doesn't want to be here. 

When you know your boss has an issue with this type of behavior and your boss flat out referencing making this a contract year to fuel more motivatioon out of Chase and then you follow through by doing the very thing that irritates your boss?    That could be a message.

But again for me that's only if Chase doesn't come today.  if he's back today IMO, its not big deal.

But regardless of Chase's behavior, I think its on the table to trade one of the edge pass rushers and right now at least according to Keim they want to keep Sweat.  So if so, then Chase is likely the trade bait but for them to get something for him, he needs to of course show something before the trading deadline.  It seems though intuititve to me that if Chase kills it before the trading deadline they consider trading Sweat, instead. 

I don't think Rivera trades either. He is all in on the defense to carry the team and create turnovers. He sees the potential and draft status of Young, and he is tied to him. So, he won't get rid of him. He won't get rid of Sweat, either. Because: All in on defense (except for linebacker). 

I'd be shocked if we traded either of them, though I would have already done it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think Rivera trades either. He is all in on the defense to carry the team and create turnovers. He sees the potential and draft status of Young, and he is tied to him. So, he won't get rid of him. He won't get rid of Sweat, either. Because: All in on defense (except for linebacker). 

I'd be shocked if we traded either of them, though I would have already done it. 

If its left to Rivera I agree with you.  If Rivera runs this through the following off season, he will just pick which player to lose on a comp pick and try to keep the other.  That's how he rolls.  He's not a future driven FO guy even when he has some job secruity leash.  He's not a damn the future guy either.  He sort of plays it in the middle.  Conservative-not bold.  Sort of the anti-Howie Roseman.

But if their record sucks before the trading deadline.  And I already think that Josh Harris sees this whole operation as deadman walking considering evidence indicates he already talked to Sean Payton when he was chasing buying the team -- Harris might interject himself.  

While its not Harris style to interfere with his FO -- this isn't "his" FO.  This is Dan's FO.  And Harris is not a stay medium, play it down the middle type of dude from what I have read.  He likes to build for the future and or go for the jugular.  So while trading an asset in mid season doesn't fit the Ron mode (no matter what the context is) or Dan.  It feels VERY Josh Harris.  So I think it would be on the table if the season went south.  But if Ron's record is still viable at that juncture, yeah I do think Harris would let him play out the script.