Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

If we have a guy that needs to adapt to playing well in order to get paid well, we have the wrong guy. One thing that is always scary is that players show up in contract years. They get that big contract and then call it a day. Really hope we are not going to be that team. At least Payne was promising prior to his contract season. I didn’t want to pay him as much as we did, but I’m good with it. 

With Allen and Payne, I feel we need a crap ton more production from our ends. 

• Like 4

In the months leading up to the draft, many analysts projected the Washington Commanders would show interest in a tight end in the first round. The rookie class appeared to be deep on talent, and Washington’s group, for various reasons, had lacked the production the offense needed.

But the Commanders stood pat, believing their corps, led by veterans Logan Thomas and John Bates, had emerging talent in 2022 fifth-round pick Cole Turner and undrafted players Armani Rogers and Curtis Hodges.

Now they have to revise their plans. On Tuesday, during the first workout of organized team activities, Rogers ruptured his Achilles' tendon during a noncontact drill and is out indefinitely.

“It hurt my heart,” Thomas said. “It hurt it a lot. We were standing right behind him when it happened and obviously saw the whole thing. Heard the whole thing, which was even scarier. But I talked to him yesterday and told him that there’s going to be some dark days, and when those days come, my number’s available. Call me.”

...Injuries have ravaged Washington’s tight ends over the past few years. Thomas was still recovering from a knee injury at the start of the offseason last year, and during training camp, Bates, Hodges and Turner all suffered soft-tissue injuries. Hodges spent his rookie season on injured reserve, and the team believes Turner’s preseason injury derailed his rookie campaign.

Now healthy, Turner has the potential to be a prominent player in Eric Bieniemy’s offense.

“He’s doing a great job,” Thomas said. “He’s one of those guys that’s kind of built for an offense like this, where he doesn’t really have to stretch the field, but he can use his quickness, use his hands.”

Hodges will get a chance to prove himself again this summer, but the team may look for additional competition as Rogers begins a lengthy recovery.

The Commanders’ tight ends are also adjusting to a new offense and a new coaching structure. Juan Castillo is still the tight ends coach, but he will also oversee the offensive line, led by Travelle Wharton, who is expected to be promoted to offensive line coach.

Ken Zampese, the former quarterbacks coach who shifted to senior offensive adviser/game management this year, and assistant tight ends coach Todd Storm coached the tight ends Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

A few pages back there was talk about how we have been a run first/TOP offense under Rivera, which is true… but now we have EB whose coming from the most explosive offense in football under the Reid coaching tree. This simply can’t be the same offense with the same gameplan. Do we have the talent to make this work here, we shall see.

I was a heiny guy, but that lack of arm strength won’t be missed. 

6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

A few pages back there was talk about how we have been a run first/TOP offense under Rivera, which is true… but now we have EB whose coming from the most explosive offense in football under the Reid coaching tree. This simply can’t be the same offense with the same gameplan. Do we have the talent to make this work here, we shall see.

I was a heiny guy, but that lack of arm strength won’t be missed. 

I will be very surprised if we are run heavy. We don’t have the O’line and I doubt EB came here to call run, run, pass.

Reid used quick passes and screens to replace runs and by all accounts we have been doing a lot of work on screens in OTA’s. 

For me Bienemy is by far our biggest offseason acquisition.  That video from Hoffman and Paulsen really nails down what we are trying to be offensively.  

It's exciting as hell that you add Howell under that context and it takes Howell's potential to a different level for me.  You aren't talking about treading lightly as an offense imo.

I get the sense we will be attacking and aggressive at every turn.  Thats gotta excite Sam and the other players offensively.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

For me Bienemy is by far our biggest offseason acquisition.  That video from Hoffman and Paulsen really nails down what we are trying to be offensively.  

It's exciting as hell that you add Howell under that context and it takes Howell's potential to a different level for me.  You aren't talking about treading lightly as an offense imo.

I get the sense we will be attacking and aggressive at every turn.  Thats gotta excite Sam and the other players offensively.

Yeah agreed, very exciting and the plan definitely doesn't sound like just run heavy like some think. Heavy concentration on the screen and working from the gun like AR does. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Logan explains a lot here about the philosophy EB is bringing to the offense based on what he's seen in practices -

Nice interview, thanks Higskin. Always like Paulson's takes.

Couple things jump out to me;

EB seems to be his own man, detail oriented, vocal, teaching, emphasizing precision and speed. Was worried how much Reid ran things and EB was not as involved, so far it seems EB is as advertised, though obviously early and not in game management situations. Going to be very different offense.

Very few "run plays", short passing game seems to be an extension of the run game. Screen game precision was emphasized, hoping to see much improvement there. I think Gibson, as long as he stays healthy, will have a big year in this offense.

Quick passes, this along with the the screen being an extension of the run should help the O/L (my 2 cents).

Howell looks good though very early obviously. Strong arm (which goes against what some national reporters have said previously, many here pointed out as being lazy takes by national guys on him).

DB's have lots of speed "could be scary". Even with Curl out.

Positive vibes!

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Rodgers was a JAG. I still think Turner and Bates could be a solid combo. 

They did like him but I am with you on Bates and Turner, really like them both.

The concern for me is more depth of the position as they were all injured last year and the clubhouse leader Thomas has been the least healthy of the bunch

6 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Grant was joking with Standig about this yesterday.  Seems like their whole off season on offense is predicated on Bieniemy.   Bieniemy is their off season star and all hope is riding on him.  They feel a bit bad that the pressure is so on his shoulders on that front where they haven't given him a ton of help as far as off season additions.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Grant was joking with Standig about this yesterday.  Seems like their whole off season on offense is predicated on Bieniemy.   Bieniemy is their off season star and all hope is riding on him.  They feel a bit bad that the pressure is so on his shoulders on that front where they haven't given him a ton of help as far as off season additions.

I think EB is looking at this as an "extended" HC interview. He does well this year he is a lock for a HC position next year (either here or somewhere else).

• Like 2

I still had some hope that we'd see the dreaded TE sweep after we fired Turner, but now that dream has been torn away like Amaris ACL. Oh Noes!

I'm still really high on Bates and what he could become and I really like Curtis Hodges who is still around.

I think Cole Turner has the tools and could really become something more this year. He has nothing to compete with, really.

Thomas I'd be surprised if we carried into the season. Old slow TE with 1 good season shouldn't be making bank.

I can't believe we left this draft without a TE going into a season with a bare cabinet and a rookie QB. ****ing criminal negligence. 

Edited by Koolblue13

10 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I think EB is looking at this as an "extended" HC interview. He does well this year he is a lock for a HC position next year (either here or somewhere else).

Agree.  I am high on Bieiniemy but it also feels a bit over the top on their end as for how much they are riding on him.  It feels a bit weird how much they are putting the off season as to the offense on the idea that hey we got Bieiniemy -- enough said.

Keim in his podcasts says over and over again that the fans worried about this or that on offense should know that the way they are thinking in that building is that Bieniemy will fix plenty of the ills of the offense. 

IMO they didn't fix the O line in the off season.  And as much as we hyped KC's use of Kelce in this off season so don't be surprised if we take one too in this TE rich draft -- they took no one.  And now they are one TE short after losing the one I kept hearing they are privately very hyped on.    The draft felt like defense was the code red spot not the offense.  But hey don't worry about the offense because Bieniemy is in town.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I still had some hope that we'd see the dreaded TE sweep after we fired Turner, but now that dream has been torn away like Amaris ACL. Oh Noes!

I'm still really high on Bates and what he could become and I really like Curtis Hodges who is still around.

I think Cole Turner has the tools and could really become something more this year. He has nothing to compete with, really.

Thomas I'd be surprised if we carried into the season. Old slow TE with 1 good season shouldn't be making bank.

I can't believe we left this draft without a TE going into a season with a bare cabinet and a rookie QB. ****ing criminal negligence. 

Totally agree on not drafting a TE in this great TE draft was a poor decision. 

I can see why Hodges could be looked at well, he is supposed to be a great receiving TE and 6'8". He however couldn't stay healthy during his 5 year college career, so don't expect anything from him.

Turner and Bates will be the dudes. I followed Turner in college and know he can play.

I think they still go with Thomas. I wanted them to bring in a TE and cut him but at this point, I think he is here for the season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Gotta believe EB's offense is gonna make JDR's defense better just because of how productive it's gonna be.