Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Welcome to the offseason thread where we post tweets and constantly remind each other of things like: “the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point in training camp” and “1-on-1 drills are built to let the WR’s shine, the DB wouldn’t have to cover that long in a game” or “that would have been a sack if they were allowed to touch the QB!”

I’ll kick things off with some rookie mini camp tweets from Keim that got lost in the shuffle of all the big ownership news:

I’m sure there’s plenty more out there if the media was at practice. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• Conn changed the title to 2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah Post-Snyder Era Edition

Oh wow, this rookie camp got buried. lol

Poor rooks.

-They gonna try to make Forbes a gunner? Huh. don't know what to make of that. He is fast and long so he can get down there, but he is not a strong tackler.

***It must be said. Man's legs looks like a baby deer's in the above vid. He turned sideways and was lost to the two dimensional plane. Get him a sammich!

legs.jpg.df4636847d742d256dfdf15faa650d72.jpg

I'd believe you if you told me he lost weight

-I heard Martin was excused from this for a family matter. Hope everything's good and he gets back soon

-field looks incredible

-A lot of sites have Sample at 6'4. Unless he grew a couple inches... I got excited when I saw 6'6 WR but I don't think he is that.

-

• Like 6

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

-They gonna try to make Forbes a gunner? Huh. don't know what to make of that. He is fast and long so he can get down there, but he is not a strong tackler.

I doubt Forbes will be a gunner, he just goes through the drills like everybody else. But most rookies play teams…we shall see.

As a member of the “skinny leg” squad myself, I’m excited to see Forbes in action. 😆

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philibusters said:

Will be interesting to see if any of the tryout guys get a camp spot

I think there are 91 listed on the current roster and we take 90 into OTA’s I think? Not sure if all the guys invited to this mini camp are on that roster though.

39 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think there are 91 listed on the current roster and we take 90 into OTA’s I think? Not sure if all the guys invited to this mini camp are on that roster though.

I count 78 on the roster (after subtracting White and Erickson), and we brought in 12 UDFAs, so I believe tryout guys would necessitate a roster cut.  Lot of chaff in there though of course…

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I count 78 on the roster (after subtracting White and Erickson), and we brought in 12 UDFAs, so I believe tryout guys would necessitate a roster cut.  Lot of chaff in there though of course…

I counted 91 on here, but it may be they just listed guys taking part in mini camp who are not officially on the roster.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/wsh/washington-commanders

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I read Chase, Sweat and Leno were all absent.

Its voluntary. That’s not lost on me. But…

Leno - fine. 

Chase and Sweat?

maybe I read it wrong and they are there.

It's correct. 

Some who cover the team have said Sweat has come along way maturity wise and they are generally happy with his growth as a dude in that locker room.  Not that same apparently with Chase.  So it feels like Chase not being there is the bigger deal.

They lost one week of OTAs because of a violation that happened last year so its a bigger deal to miss it this year.  And if I recall correctly Chase has missed the most volunatry practices among the team in the last couple of years.

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 1.25.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 1.26.05 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's correct. 

Some who cover the team have said Sweat has come along way maturity wise and they are generally happy with his growth as a dude in that locker room.  Not that same apparently with Chase.  So it feels like Chase not being there is the bigger deal.

They lost one week of OTAs because of a violation that happened last year so its a bigger deal to miss it this year.  And if I recall correctly Chase has missed the most volunatry practices among the team in the last couple of years.

Chase missing it is a big deal anyways. Guy isn’t who we thought. Still not ready to scream bust but I question his desire to excel. Not his work ethic. But desire. Working hard means you put in sweat equity. Desire means nothing stops you.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 11

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Chase missing it is a big deal anyways. Guy isn’t who we thought. Still not ready to scream bust but I question his desire to excel. Not his work ethic. But desire. Working hard means you put in sweat equity. Desire means nothing stops you.

Agree it doesn't look hot.  Maybe there is some story for today and he's there tomorrow.  But its tough to give him the benefit of the doubt from the jump considering his history on this.

I liked what I read about him as a dude before the draft.  But something seems off about the dude in the context of desire to excel.  

Multiple reporters-personalities have referenced some off the field issues that have been cooking - even Sheehan who is a big Chase guy referenced it today which is that their concern with Chase is far from just about bouncing back from that injury. 

The stories whatever they are ultimately will likely come out.  This isn't the first player where we hear rumbilings about issues and then months later we learn some of those narratives.

If so, it sucks considering he was the #2 pick in the draft with superstar level upside. 

I have not given up, yet but it feels like a wild card now.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 2

Chase will be gone after this season, mouth-breathing fans of other teams will talk about how stupid the team was to let him walk, no one will rush to sign him, he'll wind up taking a decent deal somewhere and ultimately do nothing.

Dude hasn't been anything since the 2020 season and was still nothing even before his injury. He's one who needs to be getting reps.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1