Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

I like that we drafted a CB but I didn't watch enough on any of the prospects to have a very strong opinion. I just feel like it doesn't go too well when you try to outsmart everyone all the time and we have had some of those moves in the first couple of rounds the last years when you take the media consensus as benchmark (Dotson, Mathis, Davis). Let's hope the media was too low on him!

But like I said, I don't know enough about the player to make a case in either direction and CB was a strong need and we got a speedy, tall ballhawk so I am not going to complain. Welcome to Washington and let's hope he stays healthy!

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to a Missippi State reporter the other day on a podcast, he said Forbes was on the quiet side personality wise but talkative on the field.

Based on the media situations I’ve just been watching with him in post his selection he definitely comes across like he’s got charisma. I like how he comes across, think he is going to be player who backs himself and will do plenty of talking once established. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bacon said:

My favorite player of all time, Darrell Green, was an undersized corner. I can't hate on this pick. 

Green was like 15 pounds heavier while also being 4 inches shorter. He had a much more solid build, which is funny to say about a corner who himself was undersized.

Forbes looks like he'd be knocked over by solar wind. 

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Pete Prisco really liked him fwiw which probably isn't much There definitely are some football people who think the value was good. I wonder if they didn't expect Gonzo to be there and just stuck with their planned player. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

2 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

. I wonder if they didn't expect Gonzo to be there and just stuck with their planned player. 

That would be incompetence on an almost unimaginable level so let's hope that's not it.

Edited by redskinss
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

There are poor man's Deion Sanders in the HOF. I wouldn't call him that just yet. 

I'm not meaning to put him in the hall quite yet, I just mean the way he moves kind of reminds me of deion.

He's lanky( albeit much lighter) like deion, very fast and he has a little bit of that awkward looking upright stride that looks like it wouldn't be very efficient but it is.

He's also a huge ballhawk who seems to goad quarterbacks and then explode when the ball is released. 

We'll see, I'll take a poor man's poor man's deion, still be pretty good.

Well they had the pick of the litter after Witherspoon, so they did their homework and got their man!

Welcome Emmanuel! Please go out and celebrate your selection at an all you can eat buffet

A little meat on your bones wouldn't hurt

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

So, this is a thread for Forbes, not the Commanders draft process.

So I will stick to Forbes.

Long player with a great knack for finding the ball and getting his hands on it. Consistenly around the ball and had great year to year production as a corner. Better off man than on, can play zones or man with his length. Athletic and aggressive as a player.

He is everything you want in a DB. He has that dog in him.

Except for the size.

People can nay say the size thing all they want but in the NFL it matters. Now, that doesn't mean he can't overcome the fact that he is 165 pounds (maybe 170). He can. He can also add weight to his frame. But it is an absolute legitimate concern that shouldn't be poo poo'd away (and yes, the same thing applies to Bryce Young).

I think he will slot in well within the scheme and if he can stay healthy he will be a solid asset to the team. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Sure will be interesting to see what weight he can get to over the summer. He’ll likely end up 185+. Time will tell if his durability withholds with the big boys.

3 minutes ago, profusion said:

They filled a position of need. That's all I know, and I'm good with that.

Agreed.

I appreciate everyone's optimism, but I'm still struggling with this pick.  Can he even tackle someone like AJ Brown?  Is he even going to start over BSJ or Fuller?  It feels like we drafted corner because the media told us to draft corner.  You would never see the Eagle's management draft a 160 lb corner.  They will absolutely roll over us next year.  

• Thumb down 2

2 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I appreciate everyone's optimism, but I'm still struggling with this pick.  Can he even tackle someone like AJ Brown?  Is he even going to start over BSJ or Fuller?  It feels like we drafted corner because the media told us to draft corner.  You would never see the Eagle's management draft a 160 lb corner.  They will absolutely roll over us next year.  

They drafted a 160 wr 🤷🏻‍♂️ , If he can play then who cares. Give the boy a chance. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

He'll play for sure.  We had no CB depth at all.  BSJ has concussion issues and Fuller is in the last year of his contract and aging.  CB was a major need.  We tied the first NYG game because we were forced to play a 7th round rookie in Christian Holmes.  The position was rightly slated as our 2nd biggest need.  With no OL worthy of being picked, we took our most glaring need area.  After our pick, the positions that went were:

17). NE:  CB (rightly or wrongly, we had Forbes as our #2 CB after Witherspoon according to Keim and ahead of Gonzalez)

18). DET:  LB (A Need area, but I figure we take one later in the draft.  Plus, we tend to play a ton of single LB sets anyways)

19). TB:  DT (no way were we taking one this high)

20). SEA:  WR (Not a need area)

21).  LAC:  WR (See above) 

22). Bal:  WR (See above)

23). Min:  WR (See above)

24). NYG:  CB (we took one with our pick)

25:  BUF:  TE (a need area, but would have been a reach at 16 considering only one went in R1)

26). DAL:  DT (no way were we taking one this high.  See #19)

27). JAX:  OL (Obviously a major need, but taking Harrison at 16 would have been way too high considering how the board went)

28). CIN:  Edge (Likely future need, but no edge went between 16 and here)

29). NO:  DT (no way were we taking one this high.  See #19 & 26)

30). PHI:  Edge (Likely future need, See #28)

31). KC:  Edge (See #28 & 30).

So, whom would we have selected that would have played more than a CB?  None of the DTs play more.  Ditto the WRs.  The edges would have been in a rotation.  Harrison would have been a reach.  It was either Kinkaid (at a position of strength in the draft), Gonzalez (whom righty or wrongly we had Forbes graded higher than), or the edges (who wouldn't start).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John Keim on The Junkies -

• Forbes quick to diagnose plays
  • Because he played WR, can anticipate well especially to a spot
  • Long arms, rangy, speed, athletic
  • Reporters on a call with Forbes asked about his weight and he basically said he can play the game (not worried about weight)
  • Gonzales had a bad Georgia game, not that's the end all but questions came up against that kind of talent

19 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

He'll play for sure.  We had no CB depth at all.  BSJ has concussion issues and Fuller is in the last year of his contract and aging.  CB was a major need.  We tied the first NYG game because we were forced to play a 7th round rookie in Christian Holmes.  The position was rightly slated as our 2nd biggest need.  With no OL worthy of being picked, we took our most glaring need area.  After our pick, the positions that went were:

17). NE:  CB (rightly or wrongly, we had Forbes as our #2 CB after Witherspoon according to Keim and ahead of Gonzalez)

18). DET:  LB (A Need area, but I figure we take one later in the draft.  Plus, we tend to play a ton of single LB sets anyways)

19). TB:  DT (no way were we taking one this high)

20). SEA:  WR (Not a need area)

21).  LAC:  WR (See above) 

22). Bal:  WR (See above)

23). Min:  WR (See above)

24). NYG:  CB (we took one with our pick)

25:  BUF:  TE (a need area, but would have been a reach at 16 considering only one went in R1)

26). DAL:  DT (no way were we taking one this high.  See #19)

27). JAX:  OL (Obviously a major need, but taking Harrison at 16 would have been way too high considering how the board went)

28). CIN:  Edge (Likely future need, but no edge went between 16 and here)

29). NO:  DT (no way were we taking one this high.  See #19 & 26)

30). PHI:  Edge (Likely future need, See #28)

31). KC:  Edge (See #28 & 30).

So, whom would we have selected that would have played more than a CB?  None of the DTs play more.  Ditto the WRs.  The edges would have been in a rotation.  Harrison would have been a reach.  It was either Kinkaid (at a position of strength in the draft), Gonzalez (whom righty or wrongly we had Forbes graded higher than), or the edges (who wouldn't start).  

You take a TE and tell Thomas sorry, but that's how the board fell.  EB would have loved Kincaid.  (Wrong thread to dive into draft strategy, just answering your question).  Plenty of great corners available in second or third round. 

32 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

you are assuming they drafted a corner because media told them to? how would you or anybody ever know that? either way, the weight is a concern...yes, but he can put on at least some weight. i'm more concerned with his coverage skills, length, and speed. more than tackling someone like AJ Brown, i'm concerned with can he prevent an AJ Brown from catching the ball in the first place or make the QB throw somewhere else?

I think most thought the pick would be Gonzales and that may have been the better choice. But this guy was more productive, sure many of those picks were on tipped balls but he is a playmaker and this team was in desperate need of turnovers.  I'm not concerned about his weight, he has length with really long arms and unlike weight that can't change.  He's only 11 pounds lighter than the first corner taken and has no injury history while playing in the top conference in the country.  

• Like 2

Horrific welcome from most of our fans. Fair enough if don't agree with the pick, but to say he will not be anything in this league when he hasn't even got started yet is a bit dramatic. I'm not psychic myself, but the skills the kid has are evident. If he had a bit more muscle on him, he would have been the first corner taken I have no doubt.

Eager to see what he can do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1