Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

3 hours ago, method man said:

He is not getting cut. He is guaranteed his contract for 4 years. Worst case, he is a depth piece who is kept around until his contract runs out

Thing is, he needs to be able to be a 1-3 corner because your 4th-6th corners most likely need to contribute to special teams.

He played all of one snap on ST. He’s not cut out for gunner. I don’t think he’s a returner.

1 hour ago, mh86 said:

Same. I’m not very optimistic about it, but it’s possible that a new scheme and new coaching could help. 

I’m not very optimistic either, just think he is what we saw maybe a bit better but not the 1st rounder we thought 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Anybody read that article on ESPN plus (I didn’t. Don’t have access.) about who had the worst draft class? I honestly thought that was the reason this thread was bumped today.

They had the commanders at 27. But when you look at the stats on the players it makes 0 sense. For Instance they have Miami at 28 even though just Achane by himself did more than all of the commanders entire draft.

I'll just put them all here from 27:

27. Washington Commanders

The good news about the Washington draft class is that rookie struggles don't necessarily prevent a player from having a good career. That's important because first-round cornerback Emmanuel Forbes was a big reason the Washington pass defense was so bad in 2023. Forbes played significant snaps in roughly half the games and had 59% DVOA in coverage, second worst for any corner with at least 200 coverage snaps.

The Commanders also took safety Jartavius Martin in the second round and he became a starter in the last few games of the season. He had 46 tackles to go with a sack and an interception. Fifth-round edge rusher KJ Henry became part of the defensive line rotation once the Commanders traded away Montez Sweat and Chase Young.

Sixth-round running back Chris Rodriguez Jr. had 51 carries for 247 yards and two touchdowns. However, third-round offensive lineman Ricky Stromberg played in only four games, and fourth-rounder Braeden Daniels spent the year on injured reserve.

28. Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins had only four draft picks in 2023 and one of them, seventh-round offensive lineman Ryan Hayes, is on the practice squad. But one of the three picks who did make the team was running back De'Von Achane. All he did was set a record (which dated to 1981) for rushing DVOA by a running back with at least 100 carries. Achane had 800 yards on 103 carries for a ridiculous 7.8 yards per carry average. He also had 197 receiving yards and scored 11 combined touchdowns.

The Dolphins saw some value out of undrafted tight end Julian Hill and sixth-round receiver Elijah Higgins. However, their top pick, second-round cornerback Cam Smith, played almost entirely on special teams and had only one game with more than five defensive snaps.

29. Carolina Panthers

What do you do with a rookie quarterback when that rookie started for most of the season, but was historically terrible? Do we count the Panthers as getting production out of Bryce Young, or not? With a minus-1,078 passing DYAR, Young put up one of the five worst quarterback seasons since 1981. Young completed fewer than 60% of his passes with a bleak 4.1 net yards per attempt that included 62 sacks taken.

And the Panthers didn't get a ton of production out of the rest of their rookies, either. Jonathan Mingo set a new record for the worst DYAR season by a rookie wide receiver, averaging fewer than 10 yards per reception with no touchdowns. The only other rookie who might count as a regular starter is fourth-round left guard Chandler Zavala, who started seven games when he wasn't dealing with various injuries.

Third-round linebacker Jammie Robinson had three midseason starts due to injuries to other players but otherwise barely played. Undrafted safety Alex Cook had a couple of starts but mostly played special teams. Carolina ranked dead last in this ranking when we did it a year ago and don't have a first-round pick in the upcoming draft because of the Young trade. The future in Charlotte is not looking bright right now, but there's always a chance Young could turn things around in his second season.

30. San Francisco 49ers

The big rookie find for the 49ers is third-round safety Ji'Ayir Brown, who played well after taking over for an injured Talanoa Hufanga in Week 11. Sixth-round linebacker Dee Winters played a handful of defensive snaps but is an important part of special teams. Seventh-round receiver Ronnie Bell had a handful of catches and some good punt returns. Kicker Jake Moody was average on field goals and below average on kickoff distance. There's some value there, but not anything you want to be spending a third-round pick on. Other 49ers rookies played a few games but were mostly taking redshirt years.

31. Denver Broncos

The Broncos already knew that they wouldn't get much out of this rookie class; after all, they had only three draft picks in the first five rounds. Receiver Marvin Mims Jr. was a very good return man but had only 22 catches for 377 yards. Undrafted running back Jaleel McLaughlin became an important part of the offense with 410 rushing yards and another 377 receiving yards (plus two total touchdowns).

Third-round linebacker Drew Sanders had a couple of early starts due to injury, then went back to special teams until he finally started playing regularly on defense around Week 12. Third-round cornerback Riley Moss didn't play more than a couple snaps per game on defense. Sixth-round safety JL Skinner appeared in only one game.

32. Dallas Cowboys

Based on Total Points, the best Cowboys rookies were undrafted guard T.J. Bass, who occasionally played when veterans were injured, and undrafted fullback Hunter Luepke. First-round defensive tackle Mazi Smith played as part of the defensive line rotation in every game but disappointed by not being as stalwart against the run as advertised. Second-round tight end Luke Schoonmaker had only eight catches for 65 yards.

Meanwhile, third-round linebacker DeMarvion Overshown missed the entire season with a torn ACL and fourth-round edge rusher Viliami Fehoko didn't play a single snap, spending half the season as a healthy scratch and the other half on injured reserve with a knee issue.

Note: We did not count first-year kicker (and first-team All-Pro) Brandon Aubrey as a rookie in this ranking because he had previously played in the USFL.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

27. Washington Commanders

Emmanuel Forbes was a big reason the Washington pass defense was so bad in 2023. 

31. Denver Broncos

The Broncos already knew that they wouldn't get much out of this rookie class; after all, they had only three draft picks in the first five rounds. Receiver Marvin Mims Jr. was a very good return man but had only 22 catches for 377 yards. 

Whatever. At least Del Rio and Forbes held Mims to only 113 yards. 🤣

Yeah, Mims would have had a 1000 yard season if he played the Durrs 10 times. This team seems to get a lot of players new contracts lol. I'd like to see Daniel Jones career numbers minus his games vs Washington. 

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The CB I wanted from day one. :(

Same here

8 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

You just don’t see Forbes body type in the league. He needs to put on healthy 5-10 pounds this off-season and listen to coaching.

He’s not going to fit the ‘physical team’ mantra that Peters was promoting. God knows what they get out of him. Probably wash up at FS 😂

As a GM you simply cannot **** up your first round pick. The cap hit for failure is the gift that keeps on giving.  If we are forced to play him I have to assume he is going to be best utilized in zone / outside - telegraphing our D call.  Regardless how he is used as an OC I would target him. No joke I would have his eyes checked with all the dropped INTs #LosEyes I think his only INT likely hit the ground but there wasn't a good camera view.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-commanders

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1