Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

This is the ONLY reason I am rooting for the team to fail at turning it around this season, so there is no other option than to clean house.

Wouldn't it be better to hope for success and to also root for Harris & company to still want to clean house because they feel the team has gone as far as it can go under RIvera? Schotty got canned in San Diego after going 14-2, afterall...teams don't need to bottom out to fire their coaching staff. They just need the decision makers to recognize all the signs that point to a change being needed. Even a bad owner can fire everyone after a crappy season. Good owners know when it's time to move on, regardless of success or failure. Hope that Harris is truly a good owner and recognizes if Ron needs to be replaced (or kept) due to a multitude of things...not just the record.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Wouldn't it be better to hope for success and to also root for Harris & company to still want to clean house because they feel the team has gone as far as it can go under RIvera? Schotty got canned in San Diego after going 14-2, afterall...teams don't need to bottom out to fire their coaching staff. They just need the decision makers to recognize all the signs that point to a change being needed. Even a bad owner can fire everyone after a crappy season. Good owners know when it's time to move on, regardless of success or failure. Hope that Harris is truly a good owner and recognizes if Ron needs to be replaced (or kept) due to a multitude of things...not just the record.

We'd be firing the coach and his entire FO.  Who presumably would be getting the credit for a successful culture change and finding a franchise QB if we have a good season.  A new owner isn't going to have the ability to justify firing Ron if he has that kind of run this year.  He'd have to wait for Ron to at least stop showing progress.

I think this is a moot point though.  He and the coaches just haven't done a good job this year, and I don't see a lot of reason to expect that to change.  It's going to be a battle to get to 7 or 8 wins at our current level of play.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

We'd be firing the coach and his entire FO.  Who presumably would be getting the credit for a successful culture change and finding a franchise QB if we have a good season.  A new owner isn't going to have the ability to justify firing Ron if he has that kind of run this year.  He'd have to wait for Ron to at least stop showing progress.

I think this is a moot point though.  He and the coaches just haven't done a good job this year, and I don't see a lot of reason to expect that to change.  It's going to be a battle to get to 7 or 8 wins at our current level of play.

If Harris is as good an owner as everyone wants him to be, he will understand exactly what to look for outside of the season record. I'm not sure why you think a new owner won't "have the ability to justify firing Ron"...that sounds like a feeble owner. Let's all hope that's not what we have to deal with. Again, Schotty got canned after going 14-2, and was replaced with Sean Peyton. All Harris has to do is replace Ron with someone better. Won't matter what the record is. His hands won't be tied, he won't be hampered. Only thing he will need to do is write up a good press release thanking Rivera and his staff/FO for helping to turn the team culture around and improving the roster, and then say he and the other owners feel a new direction is needed. That's it. I may be the only fan who thinks Harris doesn't give one single **** about the record when it comes to getting rid of Ron, or keeping him if that's the case. Outside of winning the SB or going winless the rest of the season, that is.

The whole pray-that-we-lose-so-Ron-gets-fired rhetoric only applies to an owner who doesn't know what he's doing and has to be forced to make the right decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

And then we're right back to our mid-round pick issue, where the chance of landing offensive line replacements is tough given good pieces of offensive lines tend to be drafted in the top 10. That's how we ended up with Forbes (and our GMHC falls in love with a player and doesn't take better talent that may be available) rather than a Darnell Wright type of prospect.

Edited by Rex Tomb

4 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

If Harris is as good an owner as everyone wants him to be, he will understand exactly what to look for outside of the season record. I'm not sure why you think a new owner won't "have the ability to justify firing Ron"...that sounds like a feeble owner. Let's all hope that's not what we have to deal with. Again, Schotty got canned after going 14-2, and was replaced with Sean Peyton. All Harris has to do is replace Ron with someone better. Won't matter what the record is. His hands won't be tied, he won't be hampered. Only thing he will need to do is write up a good press release thanking Rivera and his staff/FO for helping to turn the team culture around and improving the roster, and then say he and the other owners feel a new direction is needed. That's it. I may be the only fan who thinks Harris doesn't give one single **** about the record when it comes to getting rid of Ron, or keeping him if that's the case. Outside of winning the SB or going winless the rest of the season, that is.

The whole pray-that-we-lose-so-Ron-gets-fired rhetoric only applies to an owner who doesn't know what he's doing and has to be forced to make the right decision.

All new owners are on shaky ground while they learn the ropes of the NFL.  Dean Spanos wasn't a new owner when he fired Marty.  His dad had owned the team since the 80's and he started running it in the 90s.  He also didn't fire AJ Smith along with Marty, and he didn't replace him Sean Peyton, he hired Norv Turner instead.  And the Chargers took a step back under Norv, that firing was probably a mistake.  I don't really understand why you think that's a good example for justifying the firing of a hypothetically successful FO and coaching regime in our situation.

If Ron goes on a run and makes the playoffs and Sam Howell looks like a franchise QB, and if Harris then fires Ron and his FO and doesn't hit a grand slam with the next hire, then the owner he's going to get compared to is Dan Snyder.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Again, Schotty got canned after going 14-2, and was replaced with Sean Peyton.

Actually, just for correctness, he was replaced by Norv Turner, if you’re talking about Marty after being fired from the Chargers in 2006.  

Norv immediately took Marty’s 14-2 team and turned it into a 11-5 team.  (Still good but not as good). BUT they won a game in the playoffs and lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game.  

The next year Norv steered them to 8-8.

It might have been one of the stupidest coaching decisions ever to go from Marty to Norv.  Norv had been proven a loser HC twice, once here and then with the Raiders by this point.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Actually, just for correctness, he was replaced by Norv Turner, if you’re talking about Marty after being fired from the Chargers in 2006.  

Norv immediately took Marty’s 14-2 team and turned it into a 11-5 team.  (Still good but not as good). BUT they won a game in the playoffs and lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game.  

The next year Norv steered them to 8-8.

It might have been one of the stupidest coaching decisions ever to go from Marty to Norv.  Norv had been proven a loser HC twice, once here and then with the Raiders by this point.  

Ah, you're right...guess I tend to block out Norv from my memory no matter where he coaches lol...

(thinks about sneakily adding "eventually" to my other post so that it reads "and was eventually replaced by Sean Peyton")

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

With the Giants meh WRs I think its a fine game to somehow get Forbes back on the field in easy assignments. I want to see him out in tight man when we bring pressure.

Yes with safety help over the top. Let him be aggressive near the LOS.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

With the Giants meh WRs I think its a fine game to somehow get Forbes back on the field in easy assignments. I want to see him out in tight man when we bring pressure.

Only if we are up by 21+ and even then.. you know he is basically the one CB every QB will pick on..  i wouldnt feel super confident about him playing meaningful snaps.   This game will be closer than people think.. so not sure its one Forbes fits in to .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Ah, you're right...guess I tend to block out Norv from my memory no matter where he coaches lol...

(thinks about sneakily adding "eventually" to my other post so that it reads "and was eventually replaced by Sean Peyton")

I try to forget Norv and his Son’s existence on a regular basis.

Payton never followed Marty at any team.  

Peyton only has coaches the Saints and Broncos.  

Marty coaches the Browns, Chiefs, Redskins and Chargers.

I appreciate your attempt.  But Payton never followed Marty anywhere.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

So did he play much last week, or is he officially a backup now?  Obviously rooting for the guy, I think they threw him out there to sink or swim. Take a step back, learn some, and come back strong.

He didn’t leave the sideline last week 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I try to forget Norv and his Son’s existence on a regular basis.

Payton never followed Marty at any team.  

Peyton only has coaches the Saints and Broncos.  

Marty coaches the Browns, Chiefs, Redskins and Chargers.

I appreciate your attempt.  But Payton never followed Marty anywhere.  

giphy.gif

Brees is ****ing with my memory lol...

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I feel like that is one of those two out of three things.   Like in college you can only have two out of social life, fitness, and academics.  Likewise you can only have two out of three of tight coverage, safety help, and bringing extra guys.  For example if you bring a 5th guy say a LB or Corner, that must mean one of your safeties is now in man coverage and you have less help over the top.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Now Brees WAS coached by Marty and then Payton.  

But I’m not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China….

:P 

My mind morphed the two teams together because Brees was coached by both guys one right after the other...and it literally has nothing whatsoever to do with tea or China lol...

21 minutes ago, Conn said:

If they care that much about tackling and physicality from their CB’s they probably shouldn’t have pushed in their chips on the sickly-thin deer-legged guy

Agree.  It feels like they romantized the player -- the personality.  the idea that a dude thin as a rail would struggle blocking isn't a shocker.  But I recall the narrative was he was a willing tackler and plays above his weight, etc.  On that front, its been a nightmare.  26.7 run defense grade -- its beyond bad, its abysmal, its the worst in the league for the position.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...