Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

I've finished making fun of the guy, now onto the good.   This guy is a ball hawk and has a natural knack to be around where the play is at almost all times.  He's fast and nimble and he can CATCH.   I expect to see our INT's go up with this guy alone.   Hopefully that translates to more pick 6's as well,  we need those in our life.  

27 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

This is a good watch - the thing is the talent around Devonta Smith >>>> Emmanuel Forbes.  He had almost no safety help over the top.  I also have to imagine, should he be the student of the game it seems he is, that he has learned a few things from that experience and gotten better as a result.  He was a freshman in this clip.  Something to keep in mind.  

I've seen better hip to hip sticky coverage type CBs in this draft.  He's good on that front but IMO not great -- you can see that some in this match up which is ironic because the rap for some is he's perfectly tailored to stop Devonta Smith.  He gave Devonta a fight but Devonta did well enough against him overall.

But the ball hawk stuff is no joke.  Many of his picks where really good plays -- anticipation wise and showcasing good hands.

I preferred Gonalez because everything being equal I prefer traits at that spot and the dude is a size-speed freak.  He's also a good ball hawk but IMO that is more driven by his hands than anticipation.  Forbes has both the hands and anticipation.

My favorite anticipation pick from Forbes is the one against Levis where he anticipated the screen and took it to the house.  As I said on the draft thread yesterday morning, I get the logic of Forbes but would prefer him later in the first.

But purely as a player, he's a good one IMO.  My fear about him is its easy to say weight doesn't matter or how hard can it be to gain weight?  But Devonta never fixed the issue.  And as to the Devonta-Forbes comparisons.  Devonta can play off the line if he wants to,  you can work around him being thin easier than you could a CB.   

As Baldy said last night, If Forbes is playing zone, Eagles just have to shift AJ Brown in his direction and he'd have no choice but to go head to head with him.   RBs can run in his direction.  It's easier to scheme around size at WR than CB IMO.  So that's the big wildcard for me.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

Yeah OT or trade back would have been ideal at 16 but s*** happens so…  I was meh on the Forbes pick as well but it does make sense to me.

The correlation between turnovers and odds of winning games requires no explanation. Only 5 teams that failed to reach double digits in INT’s last year and guess who was one of them?

Rivera clearly saw Forbes and his ball-hawking skills as an impact player capable of immediately improving those numbers and consequently increasing odds of winning in our favor.

Plays both man, zone, press, off coverage.

In the games of watched, he played a lot of off coverage.  You can see how far back he is from the WR -- with often his eyes on the QB.  And he can close down quickly on the play.  But he positions himself to have good vision on the ball. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.34.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.35.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.37.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.38.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.38.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.40.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.41.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.42.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.43.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.43.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 1.43.43 PM.png

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And as to the Devonta-Forbes comparisons.  Devonta can play off the line if he wants to,  you can work around him being thin easier than you could a CB.   

Also Devonta doesn't have to tackle anyone - and would likely have not much interest in doing so if he had to! One thing about Forbes is he very willing to tackle, he's not frightened of contact ... but physics is a thing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Also Devonta doesn't have to tackle anyone - and would likely have not much interest in doing so if he had to! One thing about Forbes is he very willing to tackle, he's not frightened of contact ... but physics is a thing.

No doubt Forbes is feisty for his size including in the run game.  

Against the run from what i've noticed he sometimes will throw his whole body into the tackle which I gather helps him get the most for his size.   He's definitely a willing tackler.  PFF talks up that his weakness is that he is "a mediocre tackler".  I don't know if he's mediocre but I think size limits him.   I don't know how easy he survives tackling that way in the NFL.  But him putting on some weight-muscle IMO is a game changer.

Some here seem confident that he can put weight on or it doesn't matter at all.  I don't know if they are right or wrong -- its a wild card to me.   

But otherwise, I dig him as a player.

• Like 3

Don’t hate the pick but I would rather have Gonzo. What bothers me more was the the Jets and us wanted the last OT Jones, and we sat on our hands and let the Steelers swoop in and trade up and take him away from us. After we took Forbes the Pats wasted no time in taking Gonzo. That is why the Steelers and Pats win and we don’t. They take the best players period. Think the Steelers gave up a 4th to trade up. Bargain as they now have a OT for 10 years and a 4th to them is nothing. Good organizations know what to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some here seem confident that he can put weight on or it doesn't matter at all.  I don't know if they are right or wrong -- its a wild card to me.   

Funny story - when I played (which was a long time ago and clearly not even remotely anything like an NFL strength and conditioning program ) they where concerned I was only 5' 11'" 160 playing QB. They wanted me to put some weight on and put me on a weight gain program. So lots of low rep high (for me) weight work and a weight gain diet. 

After a year of that program I had LOST 1 pound. My metabolism and body type just would not let me put weight on. Sadly those days are well behind me ... 

• Like 4