Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the Wentz trade the 2nd worst trade in franchise history?

KWilliamsAWinfield

Is the Wentz trade the 2nd worst trade in franchise history?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Wentz trade the 2nd worst trade in franchise history?

• No
    • Yes

It’s (sadly) not close to being the worst trade this team has made.

We gave up a 3rd round pick for TJ Duckett. A (by that stage) journeyman running back. He came in when Portis got injured but never even started a game for us.

I think the 2nd and 4th for McNabb was worse because we gave those picks to a division rival and got them out from under the contract of a player who close to the end. As we discovered.

But the worse trade of all time had to be the trade to move up and pick RGIII. Three first round picks and a second round pick for a guy who had one great year, got hurt and then flamed out.  Even though we got Cousins in the same draft the lack of those premium picks stopped us building around him - and then we messed up the situation with him as well!!

• Like 2

I’m going to get killed here for saying this but I always viewed Champ as being slightly overrated… I still remember a Sunday night game against the Saints 19yrs ago (I remember cause I took my hugely pregnant at the time Wife to the game) where we watched Aaron Brooks and Joe Horn man handle Champ Bailey…. Bailey was never in the same category as Green or even in his time of Rod Woodson, Deion etc…. So I actually don’t see where trading Bailey for Clinton was a bad trade…. It worked for both teams at the time and CP stripper pole and all in his basement along with those goofy Eastern Motors commercials was really good for us under Gibbs 2

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tshile said:

I’m willing to say it’s the worst in terms of how bad it was at the time it was executed. 

One team ate a record dead cap hit to get rid of him. Another got rid of him before knowing who they’d replace him with. We gave up too many picks PLUS we ate his salary. For a guy that was about to be released. 

and we knew it was awful. Well, many of us. We always have the delusional faction that eats up every move as if it’s great. Look at the EB hiring people 😂 

in terms of how it ended I’d guess McNabb and some others are worse. Way more time investment and money, more potential, all of it wasted. 

but evaluating it the day the trades are executed? This was an awful trade and anyone with a brain that watches football knew it the second it was announced. 

I don't think it's even close...and that's coming from someone who believes this franchise is run by a team of buffoons. Here are a few defenses of the trade...

1) There was no future salary cap impact to the team

2) Even though it was a long shot, they rolled the dice in a year when they were clearly worse than Dallas and Philly & needed a HR at the position to contend 

3) They had to make a trade to get anyone to join the team (most likely)

Yeah but wentz was clearly done, and an awful qb, and they gave up a lot for him. 

Which is why I specified evaluating the trade at the time it was done. 

we have trades that wound up being worse because the player didn’t work out and the cost was more. And some of them we knew it wasn’t a good trade at the time but we didn’t know how bad it would wind up being. 

And as dumb as the Griffin trade was, 2012 had magical moments. 

the wentz trade was a loser the day it was announced, and every day since then. There was not a single moment where it looked good outside of some delusional fans. 

that was my point. We might as well flushed everything down the toilet. It was a loser the moment it was announced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, samy316 said:

But it wasn't just media pundits that were calling this.  There were legitimate football minds that also questioned the move, and were incredulous when the news came out that we gave up draft capital as well.  That is the worst part.  If we had just waited until he was cut from the Colts (And make no doubt about it, he WAS going to get cut), and we had signed him, then it would've been a shrug shoulders move, and we would've kept our draft capital.  Like IDIOTS, we chose for whatever reason to give up 2 3rd round picks (almost a 2nd round pick if Wentz doesn't hurt his finger).  We were bidding against ourselves, and that's what makes this trade so embarrassing.  It has to be a top 10 worst trade, and it might even have an argument for top 5.

Dude, I completely agree that this whole thing ended about as terrible as it could have ended, I just honestly didn't think it was going to be that bad. When I heard the news that we picked him up, I was extremely unhappy. It took me about a month to talk myself into the deal and I truly believed he could get us to the playoffs. I wasn't even bothered by the cap hit or draft picks...I just didn't think he was going to be that bad. How could anyone without a time machine think he was going to regress that much? I'm just talking out loud, I'm just glad he's gone. I hope he lands somewhere, but I can't stand to watch him ever again.

17 hours ago, El Mexican said:

At least Portis was very productive here. Gibbs really grinded him out.

Champ is Champ, but Portis was an undisputed started for us for long stretch.

Watching Portis truck blitzing linebackers for all those years was worth a 3rd or 4th rounder alone in terms of fan entertainment value. SE Jerome etc was worth a 7th.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't trade Wentz getting a "you're fired" via text message for anything...no way to get fair value back...

I agree with a lot of takes here, plenty that've been worse.

Trading for what QBs were instead of what QBs are is typically going to backfire.  

The thing that drives me mad about the trade is the plan being to trade for a veteran QB and realizing our cap situation wasn't set up to handle one of that size, or really one at all for a decent starter.

So we immediatly started coming after the oline, which cost us at least one or two games alone last year (Lions game comes to mind).

It was the cacade effect of making that trade that makes it so bad to me, with a cherry on top him throwing up on his last chance to show people he was worth it against SF. 

I don't like doing 180 on a player over one game, but I was done after that.  Made me look stupid defending him up to that point.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I wouldn't trade Wentz getting a "you're fired" via text message for anything...no way to get fair value back...

I agree with a lot of takes here, plenty that've been worse.

Trading for what QBs were instead of what QBs are is typically going to backfire.  

The thing that drives me mad about the trade is the plan being to trade for a veteran QB and realizing our cap situation wasn't set up to handle one of that size, or really one at all for a decent starter.

So we immediatly started coming after the oline, which cost us at least one or two games alone last year (Lions game comes to mind).

It was the cacade effect of making that trade that makes it so bad to me, with a cherry on top him throwing up on his last chance to show people he was worth it against SF. 

I don't like doing 180 on a player over one game, but I was done after that.  Made me look stupid defending him up to that point.

You bring up a really good point, that Wentz' cap number hindered us from improving the O-Line, and actually caused it to worsen significantly.  We lost some key O-Line guys last offseason, and you could probably chalk that up to Wentz' $28 Million salary.  We had $36 Million in cap space before the Wentz trade.  If we were going to draft a mid-round QB in the draft last year, we probably should've stuck with Heinecke as the starter, with Howell as the backup.  It would've saved us a lot of trouble and embarrassment, and we might have even snuck into the playoffs with that set up.  We would've had much better O-Line play, AND we would have more flexibility to spend on Payne, and possibly other players with contract extensions coming up.  How much more optimistic would we be for THIS upcoming season, with Howell as the undisputed #1 QB heading into next season?

This team should've taken the hint once Rodgers and Wilson turned them down.  Instead of getting desperate, they should've seen it as a sign to draft their own guy, and continue to build out their roster.  Short term thinking and desperation are never a good combination.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

Not close.  We did not hurt our future to get Wentz, just last season.  We owe Wentz nothing, and lost only one 3rd round this draft.  We have Howell, a full draft board, and 35M to spend.  Not worried one bit. 

The RG3 trade was the worse.  The rams built a dominant team because of those draft picks.  And we have sucked since.  

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:51 PM, El Mexican said:

Well, it's up there with the Rivera logic that some bearded old QB could start the season for us.

He lasted less than a game.

Fitztragic was a free agent signing - not a trade.  

• Thumb up 1

We traded a 3rd for this guy right? Not even close to worst in my opinion. A 3rd and no long term cap mess is worth a swing IMO. Its didn't work out, but we were actually prepared for that. 

As much as I loved RG3 that **** killed us. Its like drafting 3 Chase Youngs that all get hurt and never play again. Probably worse than that considering the media attention at the time. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

The worst trade in franchise history was the one we did NOT make:   Cousins to San Fran for the #2 overall pick in 2017.  That would have likely been Mahomes or Deshaun Watson (or more likely for our numb-nuts drafting they would have probably picked Trubisky).   But still ....

I find solace in knowing with that 2OA we would reach on an undersized corner coming off injury that was a bad fit for our scheme.

Edited by RandyHolt

The hate for the Fitzpatrick signing is bizarre to me. The only way anyone could have known it would turn out so poorly is if they have magic 8 balls that predict season end injuries. I guess we were supposed to get Sam Darnold instead?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Same difference man, the current braintrust has shown little talent selecting the most important position in the League.

The thread is about the worst trades in team history and your answer was a free agent signing that was a poor decision that didn’t work out.  We didn’t’t give up assets to sign Fitzpatrick.