Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the Wentz trade the 2nd worst trade in franchise history?

KWilliamsAWinfield

Is the Wentz trade the 2nd worst trade in franchise history?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Wentz trade the 2nd worst trade in franchise history?

• No
    • Yes

We've had a LOT of bad trades, so I wouldn't call this the worst or even second worst.  It should be somewhere in the top 5.  It is certainly the dumbest trade this team has executed since the RG3 trade up 10 years ago.  The Wentz trade stands alone in its stupidity, as one where almost everyone in the NFL world panned the move as short-sided and desperate, and yet the braintrust for this team, led by its coach/GM decided that they were smarter than everyone else, and that THEY were the ones to fix a broken Wentz.  He could've been had for pennies on the dollar if cut, but we just HAD to be that dumb team to overpay for a loser QB, while giving up significant trade capital to do so.  LOL.  This FO and the coach shouldn't have the ability to make ANY major decisions on the QB position going forward.  Luckily, their time may be done once we get a new owner.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

It's bad but probably not the worst.

If it was for a first then maybe.

Trading away a Hof cb for Portis and also giving up a 2nd, or even the Duckett trade was as bad or worse. trading all those picks for Rg Knee was definitely worse.

Oh and McNuggett.

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

Wentz trade is the 2nd worst trade in franchise history in my book, Paul Krause trade will always be #1 as worst trade in franchise history

Well, it's up there with the Rivera logic that some bearded old QB could start the season for us.

He lasted less than a game.

This FO should avoid any QB decision and just let TH battle it out with the semi rook Howell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Trading away a Hof cb for Portis and a 2nd or even the Duckett trade was as bad or worse. trading all those picks for Rg Knee was definitely worse.

Oh and McNuggett.

We traded away that HOF CB + the 2nd for Portis :(

• Like 2

Jason Taylor was worse imo, for a 2nd. Force multiplier to drive it home is that he went right back to Miami after he was done with us and produced again. 

As if one pass rusher was what that roster needed to put it over the top lol. At least a QB can change your entire franchise trajectory—it makes the risk more understandable given the upside. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 7

I don't think it was one of the worst but it was certainly one of the dumbest as sammy alluded to.

When every media and football outlet has the "point and laugh" response, you know you F'd up royal.

Nobody outside of this fanbase had any faith in the move, and rightfully so. It took an impressive amount of tint on the fan shades and noise cancelling headphones to even be remotely comfortable with the deal. It was bad from its inception.

• Like 1

No.  The second worst was the 1978 trade of WR Frank Grant for Benny Malone when despite having the worst WR corps in the league (and making it worse), the Skins were 6-0.  They finished 8-8.  Such an epic collapse.  All because of trading Grant for a guy whose only purpose was to take carries from John Riggins.  We already had Mike Thomas to do that. 

Also gotta go with trading our 2nd and 3rd round picks (37 and 67) in 1996 to Dallas for their #30 to select T Andre Johnson, who was cut during camp.  This is how bad Johnson was:  Shar Pourdanesh was better.

Edited by Dark Acre
  • Like 4

Yeah, I know a lot of media heads said it was going to fail, but they didn't KNOW it was going to fail. Other than his one terrible season, there was no reason to believe Wentz was going to be THIS gut wentzingly bad. These same people also picked the Rams, Cowboys, Bucs, Broncos, Bills, Buffalo, Eagles, Bengals, KC, 49ers (did I miss anyone) to win the Super Bowl before it even started. As I said before, did they get the Wentz trade right? Yes, but they didn't actually know, just like they didn't know about the other teams. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

Wentz trade is the 2nd worst trade in franchise history in my book, Paul Krause trade will always be #1 as worst trade in franchise history

Thanks for reminding me about that nightmare trade where we lost the all time NFL carrier interception leader and one of my boyhood idols. Many on this board never saw Paul Krause play but he was a ball hawk for sure. 

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Trading away a Hof cb for Portis and a 2nd or even the Duckett trade was as bad or worse. trading all those picks for Rg Knee was definitely worse.

Oh and McNuggett.

We were going to loose him anyway as he wanted to go play back home in Denver. Worse trade ever was RG3.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, method man said:

We traded away that HOF CB + the 2nd for Portis :(

I do agree, but a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff... Champ was gone, anyway. Whether he left on his own or his wife forced him to geographically relocate... :rofl89:

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Yeah, I know a lot of media heads said it was going to fail, but they didn't KNOW it was going to fail. Other than his one terrible season, there was no reason to believe Wentz was going to be THIS gut wentzingly bad. These same people also picked the Rams, Cowboys, Bucs, Broncos, Bills, Buffalo, Eagles, Bengals, KC, 49ers (did I miss anyone) to win the Super Bowl before it even started. As I said before, did they get the Wentz trade right? Yes, but they didn't actually know, just like they didn't know about the other teams. 

But it wasn't just media pundits that were calling this.  There were legitimate football minds that also questioned the move, and were incredulous when the news came out that we gave up draft capital as well.  That is the worst part.  If we had just waited until he was cut from the Colts (And make no doubt about it, he WAS going to get cut), and we had signed him, then it would've been a shrug shoulders move, and we would've kept our draft capital.  Like IDIOTS, we chose for whatever reason to give up 2 3rd round picks (almost a 2nd round pick if Wentz doesn't hurt his finger).  We were bidding against ourselves, and that's what makes this trade so embarrassing.  It has to be a top 10 worst trade, and it might even have an argument for top 5.

The team was (and still is) in desperate need of a competent, steady QB with some physical abilities to stretch the field. We rolled the dice and lost. You can't make omelette without breaking some eggs. Despite the lost draft picks, we don't owe him a penny and the team doesn't appear to be significantly set back by him. I don't feel the disgust towards it that others have.

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The team was (and still is) in desperate need of a competent, steady QB with some physical abilities to stretch the field. We rolled the dice and lost. You can't make omelette without breaking some eggs. Despite the lost draft picks, we don't owe him a penny and the team doesn't appear to be significantly set back by him. I don't feel the disgust towards it that others have.

I would've been fine drafting Howell last offseason, and just rolling with him and Heinecke.  That would've allowed us to keep our draft capital, and we would've had enough cap space to extend Payne, without having to wait until this offseason to franchise tag him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ntotoro said:

I do agree, but a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff... Champ was gone, anyway. Whether he left on his own or his wife forced him to geographically relocate... :rofl89:

This. Adding the second was terrible and Champ was the better player. But he was going to leave and Portis was outstanding here.

Wentz, McNab, and Duckett are top 3 for me.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1

RG3 brought us one of the most memorable (sadly) seasons in a long time, and if either Shanahan or Griffin had shown the slightest bit of courage in resting him up after the injury, or even pulling him vs. Seattle (when we were in control), it's possible we go further in the playoffs than that and maybe Griffin's career would not have been so dreadful afterwards. It also proved Kyle Shanahan and could have been our opportunity to give him a head coaching job.  I don't know that I would consider a possible chance at a SB appearance (loss likely) with a QB to be one of the top 2 worst trades in team history.  After all, a first round pick could have ended up like Chase Young.

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pretty naive to think our trading history is that good. I doubt this is even in the top 20 or top 40 of bad trades in franchise history.

Let's scope out 3 particularly bad trade years in 2006, 2008, and 2010:

1st bad trade

Traded a 3rd rounder to the 49ers for Brandon Lloyd, he of a career high 700+ receiving yards and a career high of 48% catch rate. Lloyd lasted 2 years with us and totaled 25 catches with a 37% catch rate

2nd bad trade

Traded a 3rd and a 4th rounder for a bruising overweight (260lbs) RB that had a career high of 700+ rushing yards. Short yardage was his calling card. Well, we already had Clinton Portis. Duckett had just 132 rushing yards with us.

3rd bad trade

Traded two 2nd's and a 6th for a lone 2nd to take Rocky McIntosh. One of the 2nd's we gave up turned into 6 time pro-bowler Eric Weddle.

1st bad trade

Gave up a 1st and a 3rd to Atlanta for a pair of 2nd's. The WR's we took in the 2nd round had 482 yards and 365 yards in their career. The WR Atlanta took in the 3rd round, with the pick we gave them, had 3,759 yards. We got absolutely fleeced.

2nd bad trade

Traded a 2nd and a 6th rounder for a disgruntled Jason Taylor. He wanted off the Dolphins, so publicly did not train and skipped all team activities. Other teams called about trading for him but were rebuffed by a) the asking price and b) Taylor's mindset. That did not stop us from meeting the asking price for somebody who was 34 years old and was widely reported to have not trained in the offseason. Surprising nobody, he got hurt quickly with nagging injuries and managed just 4 QB hits all season. He resumed being disgruntled and refused to train the next offseason demanding a release.

1st bad trade

Traded a 2nd and a 4th for 34 year old Donovan McNabb, who we were already making fun of Eagles fans for having a washed up QB...only to trade for him, and then give him a contract extension.

2nd bad trade

Traded a 3rd rounder for Jammal Brown. Who was good (2 pro bowls with Saints) yet had a series of bad injuries. He needed both hip and knee surgeries in 2009 and missed the entire season. The injuries were bad enough that the media was questioning if Brown could even return as the same player. He only lasted 2 seasons with the this team before retiring due to the bad hip. He only played 6 seasons in the NFL. I believe we also gave him a nice contract extension after trading for him.

In comparison, Wentz was traded for a pair of 3's. Wentz was not publicly disgruntled, we did not give him a contract extension, he was not coming off a series of injuries, he was not 34 years old like McNabb or Taylor, and his career highs were not embarrassingly limited. We swung, we missed, it didn't work out. The future of the team is not still hurting because of the move.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ntotoro said:

yes that information coming out softens the blow somewhat. But still if your gonna trade Champ you’ve got to get a hell of a lot better deal than that!

• Like 1

I’m willing to say it’s the worst in terms of how bad it was at the time it was executed. 

One team ate a record dead cap hit to get rid of him. Another got rid of him before knowing who they’d replace him with. We gave up too many picks PLUS we ate his salary. For a guy that was about to be released. 

and we knew it was awful. Well, many of us. We always have the delusional faction that eats up every move as if it’s great. Look at the EB hiring people 😂 

in terms of how it ended I’d guess McNabb and some others are worse. Way more time investment and money, more potential, all of it wasted. 

but evaluating it the day the trades are executed? This was an awful trade and anyone with a brain that watches football knew it the second it was announced. 

• Like 1