Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Do we get back the money we owed both Sweat and Young,  or was it part of the trade that we have to eat the rest of this years cap hits. Hopefully we got the cap relief,  be over 10m to carry over to next season. 

Bears and 49ers assume what is left of their contracts (ie rest of this season). Both are free agents next season but Young has a 5th year option available. 

They were both not on our cap number for next season and there is no dead cap to carry over.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I'm not a fan of trading away good players for pennies on the dollar (just my opinion). However, in Chase's case, if he's causing trouble off the field, it's easy to justify parting ways with him. It's challenging to succeed with players who aren't fully committed or have off-field issues; the risk isn't worth it.

Earning a playoff spot would indeed be a surprising and somewhat amusing turn of events. To escape the 8-9 pattern, it's crucial for Sam Howell to grow into a proficient quarterback while on a rookie contract. This issue is more quarterback-related than it is about the front office.

Regarding the defense, there have been serious concerns, and Ron and Jack are responsible. On the other hand, EB, the offensive coordinator, has shown promise and delivered some outstanding offensive stretches that haven't been seen in this area for a long time.

Given the circumstances, it's evident that change is needed. If EB and Howell continue to progress as they are, I would be thrilled to find a way to keep them together.

I'm not thrilled with EB. If we end up hiring a coach like Ben Johnson, Howell will be staying in a WCO scheme anyway so I'm not sure the continuity is worth such a large premium vs. giving the new staff carte blanche. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Earning a playoff spot would indeed be a surprising and somewhat amusing turn of events. 

I don't think it would be that surprising.  8-9 I think was still on the table.  Less so now.  that might be enough to make it in the weak NFC.  But I am tired of peak success is a wildcard and one and out every 3-4 years.  I want off that treadmill.  

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Given the circumstances, it's evident that change is needed. If EB and Howell continue to progress as they are, I would be thrilled to find a way to keep them together.

Will see.  I am hoping for a new GM-new regime.  EB has been a roller coaster.    I could swallow it as OC perhaps.  But I think I've seen enough where I don't think I want him as the next HC. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Bears and 49ers assume what is left of their contracts (ie rest of this season). Both are free agents next season but Young has a 5th year option available. 

They were both not on our cap number for next season and there is no dead cap to carry over.

we already declined that option

Young will cost SF about half a million the rest of the way

Edited by Birdlives
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the vibe its deeper than that

Those coaches in the building who felt it was necessary to leak this are part of the problem. Speaks of them as bad at what they do. 

If I'm Harris, I'm pissed and want to know who leaked it so they can be unemployed immediately. Don't care if it's true. Deflecting blame for the ****ty jobs they've done with more than just Chase is a bushleague move. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I'm not thrilled with EB. If we end up hiring a coach like Ben Johnson, Howell will be staying in a WCO scheme anyway so I'm not sure the continuity is worth such a large premium vs. giving the new staff carte blanche. 

What Howell and EB accomplished against the Eagles last week was truly exceptional. They completely dismantled the Eagles and effectively neutralized their pass rush throughout the entire game, led by the young QB. Many discussions revolve around breaking free from mediocrity, and this is it – the quarterback and offensive coordinator taking control of games and placing the outcome in the quarterback's hands.

I couldn't care less about who the opposing quarterback was because EB and Howell were in sync. Achieving this level is what Washington needs to consistently attain double-digit win seasons. Hearing Mark Schlereth trying to quantify the value of how EB and Howell neutralized the Eagles' pass rush by throwing 50 times was a delightful moment.

I prefer an Andy Reid-style West Coast offense over Ben Johnson's approach. However, I do wish that EB would utilize Howell as a runner more, as he's similar to Josh Allen in the sense that he excels when he gets the opportunity to run and make contact. Full disclosure, I only know a little bit about Ben Johnson, not at all saying I don’t like him as a potential coach. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think it would be that surprising.  8-9 I think was still on the table.  Less so now.  that might be enough to make it in the weak NFC.  But I am tired of peak success is a wildcard and one and out every 3-4 years.  I want off that treadmill.  

Will see.  I am hoping for a new GM-new regime.  EB has been a roller coaster.    I could swallow it as OC perhaps.  But I think I've seen enough where I don't think I want him as the next HC. 

What OC hasn’t been a roller coaster this season? Not to say he isn’t working kinks out and learning. No doubt been some rough patches. I still want to see more. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Maybe I am missing something. But how is Josh Harris being a ****ty owner? He can make personel changes due to lack of performance. The team is 3-5 and woefully underperfroming (or performing just as it should, niether is good). So they are making some moves that will help the team. I was one of the longer Ron hold outs thinking he was jsut struggling under mini-me's ignorance. But the game has passed him - and that includes JDR. Ron is a great guy but he lost his edge as a good coach. So Ok, just move on. If I missed something said let me know. 

If they fire Ron tomorrow it's not being a ****ty owner unless he goes out of his way to embarress him, ala Bruce Allen and Scott M.

Last sentence really makes no sense. WHat was all a mistake? Trading 2 players from an underperforming until that are both on last contracts that would have eaten a lot of CAP space even if you just sign 1 much less two? And you get a 2nd and a 3rd for them. 

I am just not seeing how any of that is being a ****ty owner. 

Don't worry about it. He's been on this kick because he can't handle Sweat and Young being dealt, so now his argument basically boils down to no owner in the NFL ever has any say in personnel and Harris doing so by wanting this regime to make moves for the teams future means he's meddling therefore he's literally as bad as Snyder, blah blah blah. 

It's silly and pointless to argue.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

With chases injuries and performance they got the best they could. And they got much better than expected for sweat

Yeah, it amazes me that people think Young brings anything but the potential that never consistently showed up. He was never what he was supposed to be.

11 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Those coaches in the building who felt it was necessary to leak this are part of the problem. Speaks of them as bad at what they do. 

If I'm Harris, I'm pissed and want to know who leaked it so they can be unemployed immediately. Don't care if it's true. Deflecting blame for the ****ty jobs they've done with more than just Chase is a bushleague move. 

Leaked? Del Rio said that to the media last year how Chase doesn't do his job/assignment like he is asked to do so. So looks like that is still going on since he hasn't done anything special this year. We actually had a better D last year without Chase. That should tell you something or everything about him. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Passizle said:

TO be fair, Its not on the Dline to make sure the 2ndary doesn't blow coverages... but yeah, this D is terrible at preventing points.

No, but they are supposed to get near the QB to pressure them and neither of these guys do that.

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Not a fan on slandering Chase on the way out. Especially when it’s clearly coming from Ron based on the author of that article. Pretty gross honestly. Even if it’s all likely true. 

Ron hasn't really hid though in his own comments, he's been snarky about Chase.  I expect Chase will have a big revenge game late this year against Washington.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Not a fan on slandering Chase on the way out. Especially when it’s clearly coming from Ron based on the author of that article. Pretty gross honestly. Even if it’s all likely true. 

Dude has hated him since that second season and it’s been obvious. Ron is just not a good coach and having a very obvious very personal beef with one of the most talented players you ever drafted is a tell tale sign that it’s over. 

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I have concerns about this, but it also makes perfect sense.

Every new owner wants to immediately put their stamp on their new team. Harris took over the team way too late to allow him to do anything meaningful. The trade deadline finally gave him the chance to play with his new toy.

On the one hand, it's perfectly normal.

On the other hand, Dan Snyder had the patience to wait for the off-season. (And, yes, I know the 99 team was good so Dan got to celebrate wins).

Next year is going to be weird. I assume we're going to have a new GM, a new coach, a new staff, a decent amount of draft capital......and an awful defense, a terrible offensive line, and a 5th round QB.

I have no earthly idea what the long-term plan is as this build is going to be just this side of an expansion team.  

Seems like we have to overcome that every several years, since Snyder had been owner?  Only it will be under new leadership this time. Someone has to set the tone, maybe they will quit playing like a expansion team these last 25 years. Might has well get what you can for them. Good move and that most agree with and are fine with the deals and understand they were the correct moves. Shake it up.

26 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I prefer an Andy Reid-style West Coast offense over Ben Johnson's approach.

I've posted on this.  How do you describe Ben Johnson's approach as to preferring something else?

26 minutes ago, wit33 said:

What OC hasn’t been a roller coaster this season? Not to say he isn’t working kinks out and learning. No doubt been some rough patches. I still want to see more. 

All of the OC's have been up and down from week to week?    We've fluctated this year from Beiniemy is horrible to Bieniemy is king week to week.  I was cool with the hire.  But I am not in love with his work so far.   I want to see a consistent run.  If the Eagles game is a harbinger for the rest of the season, awesome.  If its a one off and we are back to WTFH the next week, then I pause.  Lets see.

Judging by the inconsistency and his public statements among other things -- i am not blown away by Bieiniemy at a minimum where right now I'd want him as the HC. 

We've gotten used to having a lower bar than some organizations as for the HC spot but more so the FO.  Harris likes to shoot for the fences with his hires.  Bieniemy right now doesn't feel like a shoot for the fences HC.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

Why do ppl think we gave away talent for Pennie’s on the dollar? Did you really think a competent person is going to pay two defensive ends top dollar for a defense that ranks in the bottom of the league? At least we got something on two guys who probably weren’t going to be here anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m more afraid that trading them gives us a better shot at being competitive…

You've somewhat led the narrative that the edge rushers don't play contain well and that leads to problems.  Looks like this regime sees it the same way especially as to Chase.  lol, i guess will see it play out now.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Chase Young = Lavar Arrington. Both came w/ a lot of hype and potential but never came close to reaching it. Look at how poor the defense was playing w/ Chase and Sweat? Can't be any worse. Toohill and Williams aren't flashy players but they'll play assignment football. 

I feel like Harris saw enough and gave Ron some marching orders. Get some extra picks for the new GM and coach. 

• Like 3