Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Thing is… it doesn’t hurt to give him a workout. Why aren’t we?

Are we satisfied at OT?

It’s just not their MO. I agree with you, but it’s not how they seem to operate. I’m probably missing someone but I can’t think of any significant in season addition by trade or free agent signing while Ron has been in control. It’s hard to improve your roster in season, but other teams make moves. We just don’t.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He was able to pass a physical so he could be released. Now I know that in no way means he is play ready but it shows he is moving in the right direction. My point, he could play later this year even if a G. Also, he would be ready to go in 2024 for sure. That would be an immediate upgrade to the OL moving forward making it easier come FA and draft.

He’d be a signing with 24 in mind IMO. Which is still worth doing obviously.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Inquiring about Collins is an indictment on who they brought in this past offseason and would give credence to the media for dumping on the OL all summer.

It’s actually one of Ron’s weirder quirks, that he appears to care so much about what gets said by the media.  Contributes to his downfall as well.

Exactly.  His image matters a lot to him.  He was according to some in local media annoyed at the coverage they gave the O line in camp which was saying it was struggiling. 

I like the Giants approach to building their roster even if it doesn't end up working yet.  I want a FO that keeps swinging.  They did end up 9-7 last year.  do they step back this season?  Probably.  But their schedule is the reverse of ours -- its starts insanely hard and then it gets easier.  We started with the easy part of our schedule and then it gets hard. 

I am a bit all over the place on the Giants.  I like their HC and FO and their general approach to personnel.  Yet I am one of the most down people on Daniel Jones and I also didn't think much of their offensive line so like I said before the season I'd come off hypocritical if I touted how their season is going to go if i am also making a big deal about the value of an O line.

But heck we've only won one more game than them and they've had the harder schedule.  So while it feels that we can still goof on them, i wonder if that will last? 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Inquiring about Collins is an indictment on who they brought in this past offseason and would give credence to the media for dumping on the OL all summer.

It’s actually one of Ron’s weirder quirks, that he appears to care so much about what gets said by the media.  Contributes to his downfall as well.

Yes it is strange because their image is a dude that just breaks even and that's what all prediction hover around this year. They should have worked to bring in an OL and LB once it became evident those spots were in trouble. His tarnished image is going become opaque if the season continues to trend like this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Commanders' D-line dilemma: Chase Young and Montez Sweat

Young and Sweat, whose contracts expire in March, are popular names this year. Here's what I've been told: Washington, as of now, very much sees both in its future. The Commanders' team strength is the defensive line. Daron Payne produced in his contract year to earn a four-year, $90-million deal in March, and Sweat (4.5 sacks) and Young (3.0 sacks) are the next in line. As one source told me, betting odds on one or both being dealt should not be great. So, my sense is they don't plan to trade them.

But one AFC exec believes Washington would at least listen to offers and potentially consider them, which the source didn't completely shoot down.

Which brings us to the state of Washington: Sitting at 3-3, the Giants and Eagles are on deck. The next two games could determine a lot.

The sense after talking to several people is, if one were to be dealt -- again, huge if -- it's likely Young, in part because he's more inclined to play out the year and entertain free agency. Plus, he needs to play a healthy season.

Sweat is considered a stronger franchise-tag or extension candidate at this stage.

Edited by Andre The Giant

I'm sitting here looking at David Carr and the way people compare Howell to him saying we don't want Howell to become another Carr, we'd think Carr is cursed ground. 

Dude won rookie of the year. 

Had a 14.6 sack percent in his first year - 444 attempts

Had a 4.8 sack percent in his second year. (when they got him a 1000 yard back, wonder how that works) - 295 attempts

Had a 9.5 sack percent in his third year (again with a 1000 yard back) - 466 attempts

His 4th year his sack percent was 13.8 but his RB got hurt and they had a horrible year overall - 423 attempts

His 5th year his sack percent was 8.5 with no real running game - 442 attempts

So was he a top QB, no. But he was able to lower his sack numbers to the point where the Texans were competitive with him. 

On 10/11/2023 at 1:59 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Exactly.  His image matters a lot to him.  He was according to some in local media annoyed at the coverage they gave the O line in camp which was saying it was struggiling. 

I like the Giants approach to building their roster even if it doesn't end up working yet.  I want a FO that keeps swinging.  They did end up 9-7 last year.  do they step back this season?  Probably.  But their schedule is the reverse of ours -- its starts insanely hard and then it gets easier.  We started with the easy part of our schedule and then it gets hard. 

I am a bit all over the place on the Giants.  I like their HC and FO and their general approach to personnel.  Yet I am one of the most down people on Daniel Jones and I also didn't think much of their offensive line so like I said before the season I'd come off hypocritical if I touted how their season is going to go if i am also making a big deal about the value of an O line.

But heck we've only won one more game than them and they've had the harder schedule.  So while it feels that we can still goof on them, i wonder if that will last? 

Nothing would help his image more than winning games.  The short term embarrasment of admitting a mistake shouldn't Trump the long term benefit of fixing it.  

The slobbing over Daboll last year was so over the top. I think the Giants 9-7 was clearly fool's gold. They're 4-12-1 after their 6-1 start last year.  

The Giants are terrible and will be for the foreseeable future. They're not building a thing, IMO. They are who we thought they were.  I'm not sure who the core players are that they're supposed to be building around.  Thomas and Lawrence, and it gets dry real quick.

40 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm sitting here looking at David Carr and the way people compare Howell to him saying we don't want Howell to become another Carr, we'd think Carr is cursed ground. 

Dude won rookie of the year. 

Had a 14.6 sack percent in his first year - 444 attempts

Had a 4.8 sack percent in his second year. (when they got him a 1000 yard back, wonder how that works) - 295 attempts

Had a 9.5 sack percent in his third year (again with a 1000 yard back) - 466 attempts

His 4th year his sack percent was 13.8 but his RB got hurt and they had a horrible year overall - 423 attempts

His 5th year his sack percent was 8.5 with no real running game - 442 attempts

So was he a top QB, no. But he was able to lower his sack numbers to the point where the Texans were competitive with him. 

He actually got third place in AP Offensive Play of the Year award, but I do see your point.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

Whats the deal on Jabrill Cox? I haven't heard anything about him since we added him to practice squad. 

Presumably during practices he's  doing well enough to maintain  his spot but not to replace anyone

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Commanders' D-line dilemma: Chase Young and Montez Sweat

Young and Sweat, whose contracts expire in March, are popular names this year. Here's what I've been told: Washington, as of now, very much sees both in its future. The Commanders' team strength is the defensive line. Daron Payne produced in his contract year to earn a four-year, $90-million deal in March, and Sweat (4.5 sacks) and Young (3.0 sacks) are the next in line. As one source told me, betting odds on one or both being dealt should not be great. So, my sense is they don't plan to trade them.

But one AFC exec believes Washington would at least listen to offers and potentially consider them, which the source didn't completely shoot down.

Which brings us to the state of Washington: Sitting at 3-3, the Giants and Eagles are on deck. The next two games could determine a lot.

The sense after talking to several people is, if one were to be dealt -- again, huge if -- it's likely Young, in part because he's more inclined to play out the year and entertain free agency. Plus, he needs to play a healthy season.

Sweat is considered a stronger franchise-tag or extension candidate at this stage.

The info on “who gets the tag” is irrelevant. New GM makes that call. For all his warts, I’d rather have Chase. 

I cannot ****ing wait until we have a real GM. It would be so easy for us to have a competent OL and secondary and then we’d be decent. And every idiot off the street called this. It’s not hindsight. 

I wonder if we cherry pick from the eagles’ FO staff. I wouldn’t mind that. Regardless, I’d like to be aggressive in a similar manner to the Eagles and also build a team using some common sense. 

Also, never again do I want to see a coach shopping for the groceries. 

• Like 3

I don't think Harris will force us to make a move, so I don't think we trade anybody.

It won't completely hang the new staff out to dry either as we have the tag. They will have some ability to prevent our best asset from leaving for nothing and that can be utilized nicely if we can lock up some desirable into contracts before the tag period.

• Like 1