Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, method man said:

Legit starting tackles at reasonable prices rarely hit the market. Can’t depend on that. Need to focus on drafting a guy and trading picks if needed to get that guy

Cowboys are probably going to not resign their LT. They have a young guy coming up and the vet has injury issues. Theyre both named Smith. 

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cowboys are probably going to not resign their LT. They have a young guy coming up and the vet has injury issues. Theyre both named Smith. 

Should’ve mentioned the other category is older LTs who are functional but you can’t depend on anymore like Smith, Duane Brown and Jason Peters

If Howell is the guy, I may think about an aggressive move up for Fashanu or Alt. 

Edited by method man

1 hour ago, method man said:

Should’ve mentioned the other category is older LTs who are functional but you can’t depend on anymore like Smith, Duane Brown and Jason Peters

If Howell is the guy, I may think about an aggressive move up for Fashanu or Alt. 

Smith will be 31 or 32. Not too too bad. Can still draft a tackle. We need two.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

49ers trading for Gregory and the Dolphins trading for Claypool.  Rich get richer and winning organizations make the right moves to makes their team better

But at least we got Wylie and Barton! 

Randy Gregory probably isn't that good at hugging OLmen anyway!

The day after we signed Barton, Drab (Junkies producer/ Seahawks fan) went on and on about how he was the absolute worst.  That he had no idea what the Commanders saw in him.  Infamous for making tackles 12 yards down the field.  

I thought to myself, Ron and the Marties have to know better than some shmuck radio producer and here we are.

I can think of 3 players off the top of my head that have been purposely attacked and abused by opposing coordinators, and all 3 came this past offseason: Wylie, Barton and albeit not a FA- Forbes.  

I had zero juice from the offseason moves including the draft, not sure why that didn’t put more of a damper on my expectations for the team overall.  Ugh, must have been that new owner euphoria in my veins.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ugh, must have been that new owner euphoria in my veins.

In hindsight, I can't think of any fans on this thread who were happy with Barton, Wylie, or Forbes.  This should have been obvious.  But when the season starts everyone gets excited.  Then we barely beat Arizona and Denver who are terrible teams.  We are are a 6-11 team.  

I'm at the point now I just want Howell and EB to develop and become impressive.  I'm done thinking about playoffs.  If we can go into the off-season with continuity in EB and Howell, it will help immensely with the rebuild.  

15 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The day after we signed Barton, Drab (Junkies producer/ Seahawks fan) went on and on about how he was the absolute worst.  That he had no idea what the Commanders saw in him.  Infamous for making tackles 12 yards down the field.  

I thought to myself, Ron and the Marties have to know better than some shmuck radio producer and here we are.

I can think of 3 players off the top of my head that have been purposely attacked and abused by opposing coordinators, and all 3 came this past offseason: Wylie, Barton and albeit not a FA- Forbes.  

I had zero juice from the offseason moves including the draft, not sure why that didn’t put more of a damper on my expectations for the team overall.  Ugh, must have been that new owner euphoria in my veins.

I felt the same about Barton, they must have really done their homework and found a semi diamond in the rough.

Also, they were so confident in his ability that they totally ignored the LB position in the draft even when there were numerous capable ones available on day 3.

I was excited to see what they would do with him. they said he brought more speed to the backers. I found that odd as his 40 time wasn't great and his profile was one of being a chase and take down guy who doesn't work well working through blockers. 

Then we heard from Keim and others in camps that he was having difficulty picking up the defensive scheme. WHAT? Red flags for me.

Similar comments kept coming, more flags.

Then preseason and he was Bostic. Well he still is. Yikes or should I say barf

Still amazes me that we have a HC and a DC that are ex linebackers and was and still is our weakest link on the defense.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 4:46 PM, NoVaSkins21 said:

49ers trading for Gregory and the Dolphins trading for Claypool.  Rich get richer and winning organizations make the right moves to makes their team better

This remains to be seen about them getting better but I agree that we are a team that does nothing compared to the better run organizations. Claypool might have been a good option for Howell given his height but he hasn't panned out everywhere he's been.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

This remains to be seen about them getting better but I agree that we are a team that does nothing compared to the better run organizations. Claypool might have been a good option for Howell given his height but he hasn't panned out everywhere he's been.

I didn't expect this out to lunch and out of touch FO to do anything.  They're aren't savvy.  Mayhew is trash and Rivera doesn't have a clue and couldn't coach up anything even if he tried.  Everyone needs to go

On 10/6/2023 at 4:46 PM, NoVaSkins21 said:

Those teams won't lose stride if the trade fails.  The new guys just have to fit in and are not expected to be heroes. If they don't, cool--just give us good looks for practice.

If we trade anyone away we MUST get nearly immediate value in return.

19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Given the major knee injury Collins had in Dec last year I’d be amazed if he’s fully ready to play right now.

he likely isn't.  On the other hand we've got a G/T in Trent Scott that we make inactive every week and Collins should e better than him

14 minutes ago, MrJL said:

he likely isn't.  On the other hand we've got a G/T in Trent Scott that we make inactive every week and Collins should e better than him

Well I’m assuming that, if required Scott could play. I don’t know that Collins could right now. 

Your best ability is your availability, and I don’t think Collins will be available to take snaps. It would be a heck of fast recovery if he is ready to play.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Well I’m assuming that, if required Scott could play. I don’t know that Collins could right now. 

Your best ability is your availability, and I don’t think Collins will be available to take snaps. It would be a heck of fast recovery if he is ready to play.

Thing is… it doesn’t hurt to give him a workout. Why aren’t we?

Are we satisfied at OT?

Also, RE: ignoring LB because we have Barton: I don’t think I’ll ever forgive them for not taking Pace. I sure am glad (and I said this in real time during the draft) that we have two defensive ends that we didn’t necessarily need and couldn’t have been the BPA…

• Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 3:31 PM, DWinzit said:

Still amazes me that we have a HC and a DC that are ex linebackers and was and still is our weakest link on the defense.

That's something I've been wondering for some years now and I still don't get it.

Sure that was some time ago, and position evolved a lot since then but damn they do suck at evaluating LBs and/or coaching them to NFL level...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Thing is… it doesn’t hurt to give him a workout. Why aren’t we?

Are we satisfied at OT?

The Giants O line sucks too but they are poking around on Collins, talked Pugh to come out of retirement and this below.

I am guessing Ron is too stubborn.  He knows the media both locally and nationally criticized his off season approach to the O line so sending for help admits defeat on that point.

• Sad 1

Said differently at least the Gaints are trying to do something about that spot. Shooting with high draft picks at that spot among other things.  They've failed so far. 

But I'd respect Ron a lot more if he tried to do something a lot more serious to help the line and by extension his young QB. If he swings and misses so be it.  But at least swing.

I did think there was a decent shot the Giants O line would do them in this season, just like this O line has for us.  But I like their code red approach to fixing it -- and they at least got injuries as an excuse in the mix. No Thomas for most of the season who is a stud.  JMS out, too.

They swung with a top 10 pick for Neal but he looks like a bust.   Another Erik Flowers for them.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MartinC said:

He was able to pass a physical so he could be released. Now I know that in no way means he is play ready but it shows he is moving in the right direction. My point, he could play later this year even if a G. Also, he would be ready to go in 2024 for sure. That would be an immediate upgrade to the OL moving forward making it easier come FA and draft.