Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing I don't like for Ron's sake about his last year here his behavior-rhetoric is off putting.  Leading up to this year, I think we can easily say he's a very likeable guy.  But his public stances doesn't make him come off likeable this off season -- he comes off defensive, delusional and arrogant.

Where he really stated to lose me purely as to likability was all of his pro Dan comments when he didn't have to say a word, Dan was already out.   Then so much of his other rhetoric is a combination of arrogance, defensiveness blame-shifting, 

We've seen of course other coaches leave where you feel good riddance at the time.  I used to think even wanting Ron gone once it was clear ownership was going to shift, I'd still feel a bit bad for Ron but now I don't. 

If they have a losing season and fans continue to crap on Ron all over social media -- it feels like a karma he's earned.  I didn't feel remotely like that at the beginning of this off season.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim suggesting that Ron's outward rhetoric of this season is a start over because of Sam so almost look at it as year 1 of this rebuild because this team is so young.  Ironically on age, this team is actually the 15th youngest.   And people (fans) should be paitent with Ron and look at the future more so than the present.  That's Ron's sell behind the scenes too. 

I gather and hope that ownership can read through Ron's BS.  Among a series of dumb and off putting comments Ron has made this off season -- for me in that mix was his long explanation about how they aren't making any moves, the calavry isn't coming -- implying heck we aren't at that stage in this team's development, lets ride with our youngsters in this rebuild takes the cake for me.   I wonder if Ron's delusion extends to himself that he actually believes in wat he's saying.  I suspect that he does.

But for me, and I gather based on social media some other fans too not only can't wait to see Ron gone but also find his behavior-rhetoric off putting to the extent that he's lost some of that good will that he had earlier.

Ron had probably more power than any HC, possible ever. He had a hand in naming the team for crying out loud. Dan had checked out and handed they keys over to him and hopped on his yacht and left.

I'm sure it was cordial with Ron and the HOG at first, but I'd also bet Harris has some pretty smart football people around him and has since he dropped his bid.

So Ron hired his buddy as Asst HC, since he couldn't get it on his own and had to scapegoat Turner last season. Now, he just runs around throwing his hands in the air, waiting to be canned yelling "rookie QB" at anyone who questions what's wrong.

I know you and I were 100% on the Ron wagon and ready to compete for a SB run at the end of last season and then we had an obvious and absolute failure of an offseason.

Good riddance. 

I'll tell you what though, if I was to believe in conspiracy theories, maybe guys like Ben Johnson turned down HC interviews and Ian Cunningham turned down a GM job last year. Everyone knows that Harris is going to create the premier franchise in the NFL and is going to be a patient and very supportive owner.

At least I can dream.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ron had probably more power than any HC, possible ever. He had a hand in naming the team for crying out loud. Dan had checked out and handed they keys over to him and hopped on his yacht and left.

I'm sure it was cordial with Ron and the HOG at first, but I'd also bet Harris has some pretty smart football people around him and has since he dropped his bid.

So Ron hired his buddy as Asst HC, since he couldn't get it on his own and had to scapegoat Turner last season. Now, he just runs around throwing his hands in the air, waiting to be canned yelling "rookie QB" at anyone who questions what's wrong.

I know you and I were 100% on the Ron wagon and ready to compete for a SB run at the end of last season and then we had an obvious and absolute failure of an offseason.

Good riddance. 

I'll tell you what though, if I was to believe in conspiracy theories, maybe guys like Ben Johnson turned down HC interviews and Ian Cunningham turned down a GM job last year. Everyone knows that Harris is going to create the premier franchise in the NFL and is going to be a patient and very supportive owner.

At least I can dream.

Feels like Ron is almost schizophrenic this off season racing from insecurity to arrogance.   

But you are right about the power.  He did among other things seem all over the name.  And when Dan was going under with his self-made implosion, Ron was sort of the dude holding things together.  On that front, I respected him. But somehow, somewhere all that power got to his head.  

The idea that he deserves a SB ring after he's fired.  Getting huffy as to characterizing the press as being wrong for how they represented Dan for things according to him that happened "years ago".   Basically saying that the first three years didn't count, this is year 1 for him because of Howell.    Getting huffy that the press won't let him get by with the rap that this is like year 1 for him, etc.  Talking about this roster like its the youngest in the NFL when its 15th -- smack in the middle.  Basically bragging that he's not making changes. 

Then you got all the odd contradictions.  Like its all about Howell, Howell, Howell and then in that same press conference refusing to say that Howell will get the full season.  In the last post game press conference he first touts their "adjustments" in the 2nd half, then another question a few minutes later takes him in another direction where he had to defend their game planning so he goes the plan was exactly the same from the first half to the 2nd.  It was just executed better in the 2nd half.

In these press conferences he loves to tout that they "almost" won.  They played better in spurts of those games even if they lost.  You'd think he took over some expansion team and we should enjoy just flashes.  It's really odd.   So we "almost" beat or had flashes against at the time 2 teams with the worst record in the NFL.   Lets celebrate that.

This from a dude who said expect to win in season 3 and then when it didn't happen and was questioned about that at that end of that season he shrugged it off and said they made progress and that's what counts.  

I am waiting for Ron to start giving participation medals to the team next -- like this is the Bad News Bears, we might not be that talented but we are are a lovable upstart team 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Everyone knows that Harris is going to create the premier franchise in the NFL and is going to be a patient and very supportive owner.

What better endorsement of patience than not nuking this current staff from orbit yet.

Harris is looking comparable to a celibate monk...

He probably starts NNN in May.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

At least I can dream.

I don't usually quote myself. I feel like EB talking to EB, but this thought has me really really excited.

That would be incredible.

So, based on that article posted, should we start preparing for the loss of several defensive players who we get nothing for? Between Sweat, Chase, Kam Curl and Fuller we either re-sign them or let them walk for what will amount to be comp picks? I assume one of them may get the franchise tag? Clearly Gibson is a goner? 

51 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

So, based on that article posted, should we start preparing for the loss of several defensive players who we get nothing for? Between Sweat, Chase, Kam Curl and Fuller we either re-sign them or let them walk for what will amount to be comp picks? I assume one of them may get the franchise tag? Clearly Gibson is a goner? 

Just listened to the Keim-Bram podcast.  Really pessimistic.  to combine their takes.

Running game isn't working -- they attributed it to blocking and scheme.  the holes aren't there.  It's a bottom feeder defense (which they find shocking) against a weak schedule so far.  Payne and Allen not having impact seasons like we are used to.  Hinting some discontent internally about play calling with Terry in that mix of people wondering about it.   All the hits that Howell has taken might be getting to him, where he's not the same player he was earlier this season.  

Keim talked about Gates inconsistency and wondered if its on the table that he's benched but also said they aren't benching Wylie.

As for trading deadline, their takes was Ron is unlikely wanting to do anything because it doesn't serve him.  Maybe Harris interjects and pushes it but they are skeptical (but don't know) that he does it because its not his style to interfere like that.   Keim seems confident that there is league interest but he's equally confident that there is no team that will offer a first for either edge rusher.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am waiting for Ron to start giving participation medals to the team next -- like this is the Bad News Bears, we might not be that talented but we are are a lovable upstart team 

🤣 Sad but true.

I realize that when you lose often, not much you can say with a mic in your face is going to sound good.  But Rivera hits new lows every week by interjecting Sam as an answer for every question not related to Sam.  Pretending this is some young team with a bunch of budding talent. He hates losing but it presents an opportunity to learn and grow.  This guy was hired before Covid for christ sake.  Have some dignity and resign.

• Like 1

I don't know where to put this but I just saw where Dustin Hopkins...Dustin friggin Hopkins just made a 44, 54, 54, and 58 yard kicks, last Sunday?? He is the #2 best fantasy kicker and looks like Justin Tucker on steroids!!! I'm flabbergasted. I don't recall Hopkins having a strong leg whatsoever, when he played for us. He certainly didn't have this kind of accuracy. Now he just set an all time NFL record for consecutive  games, making a fg from 50 plus. Am I in the Twilight Zone?? 

6 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I don't know where to put this but I just saw where Dustin Hopkins...Dustin friggin Hopkins just made a 44, 54, 54, and 58 yard kicks, last Sunday?? He is the #2 best fantasy kicker and looks like Justin Tucker on steroids!!! I'm flabbergasted. I don't recall Hopkins having a strong leg whatsoever, when he played for us. He certainly didn't have this kind of accuracy. Now he just set an all time NFL record for consecutive  games, making a fg from 50 plus. Am I in the Twilight Zone?? 

Kicking is just a super volatile position. Guys who are good one year suck the next year and vice versa, with the exception of Tucker who is always great. 

We tend to sell on Ks when they're at their lowest so no surprise they go elsewhere and blow up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

He always had a strong leg - he’d boot the ball past the end zone on the kickoffs even before they moved the line up. His issue was always accuracy. 

• Thumb up 1

I actually am fairly frustrated with what we see from Harris in the transition period. I see SIP posted that there is likely someone from the Harris team quietly overseeing things, and I certainly understand why no significant changes were made to the coaching staff when Harris got control of the team…

But for this season we absolutely needed to have a front office presence in place to make the decisions on the future of the roster. 

If Ron refuses (let’s say he really does have absolute control… which I doubt) you fire him. Period. 

For instance, it seems Michael Pittman, Jr. may be a little disenfranchised with the Colts at the moment. They basically didn’t even target him last week.

Having someone in place allows us to reach out and say, “hey, we have a 7th rounder if you want to ship MPJ out.”

Now… they obviously don’t likely take that trade. It would be a horrendous RoI… and it probably doesn’t help us short term. 

My point isn’t really about Pittman, just using him as an example. My point is more so we’d have someone to manage the assets with an eye to the future for both adding to and trading away players that aren’t in future plans. 

I wish a GM or someone was already in place. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Once again we as a franchise find ourselves in a position whereby what is in our interests wildly differs from the interests of the HC.

Should Washington be moving pieces leading up to the deadline in order to maximise our possibilities in an impending rebuild? Yes. Will we? No because Rivera will delusionally still believe he has a chance at keeping his position.

The outcome? Highly likely that we will hold pieces instead of maximising our return, yet Ron will still fail. Vintage Washington.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually am fairly frustrated with what we see from Harris in the transition period. I see SIP posted that there is likely someone from the Harris team quietly overseeing things, and I certainly understand why no significant changes were made to the coaching staff when Harris got control of the team…

But for this season we absolutely needed to have a front office presence in place to make the decisions on the future of the roster. 

If Ron refuses (let’s say he really does have absolute control… which I doubt) you fire him. Period. 

For instance, it seems Michael Pittman, Jr. may be a little disenfranchised with the Colts at the moment. They basically didn’t even target him last week.

Having someone in place allows us to reach out and say, “hey, we have a 7th rounder if you want to ship MPJ out.”

Now… they obviously don’t likely take that trade. It would be a horrendous RoI… and it probably doesn’t help us short term. 

My point isn’t really about Pittman, just using him as an example. My point is more so we’d have someone to manage the assets with an eye to the future for both adding to and trading away players that aren’t in future plans. 

I wish a GM or someone was already in place. 

Some hard things IMO in play.

A.  GMs usually at least from what I call don't typically transition in the middle of the season unless they are already out of work.  Plus if they want to replace Ron as GM, he's in essence fired already.  Ron is the GM.  So having all these interviews to find the best GM likely needs to take place after the season not during the season.  Unless Ron is canned now.

B.  Ron for his faults is generally liked around the league.  Firing him which I'd think you need to do to put anyone in charge after a 3-4 start when Harris told people he'd give this regime a season shows a bit of a trigger finger.  Keim seems plugged in around the league and he suggested it wouldn't be a good look for Harris especially if the idea is to attract someone who is in demand and has multiple options.  While for us, the Ron regime is 3 plus years but for Harris he'd be firing him within season in year 1.  Heck Tepper arguably had the same issue.  He inherited Ron.  He actually let a full 7-9 season play out, then fired him in the middle of the 2nd season under him.

I think the way you can try to have your cake and eat it too is for Harris to prod Ron to make moves. That might be on the table according to Keim-Bram but they weren't sure.

But in short, we seem stuck with a lame duck coach this season.  Some suggest maybe fire him before the season is over but right now its premature.  Harris has to be carefull to be seen as someone who interferes in personnel right from the jump or lacks patience with coaches.  I agree with what you are saying as to I'd love to have someone in place.  But I agree with Keim that Harris is in a tricky spot.

Usually if there is someone an owner is listening to at this juncture its an ex-GM type who is consulting ala Casserly with the Jets, etc and then Casserly that off season recommended GMs for the Jets to interview, etc.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

A few hard things IMO in play.

A.  GMs usually at least from what I call don't typically transition in the middle of the season unless they are already out of work.  Plus if they want to replace Ron as GM, he's in essence fired already.  Ron is the GM.  So having all these interviews to find the best GM likely needs to take place after the season not during the season.  

B.  Ron for his faults is generally liked around the league.  Firing him which I'd think you need to do to put anyone in charge after a 3-4 start when Harris told people he'd give this regime a season shows a bit of a trigger finger.  Keim seems plugged in around the league and he suggested it wouldn't be a good look for Harris especially if the idea is to attract someone who is in demand and has multiple options.  While for us, the Ron regime is 3 plus years but for Harris he'd be firing him within season in year 1.  Heck Tepper arguably had the same issue.  He inherited Ron.  He actually let a full 7-9 season play out, then fired him in the middle of the 2nd season under him.

I think the way you can try to have your cake and eat it too is for Harris to prod Ron to make moves. That might be on the table according to Keim-Bram but they weren't sure.

But in short, we seem stuck with a lame duck coach this season.  Some suggest maybe fire him before the season is over but right now its premature.  Harris has to be carefull to be seen as someone who interferes in personnel right from the jump or lacks patience with coaches.  I agree with what you are saying as to I'd love to have someone in place.  But I agree with Keim that Harris is in a tricky spot.

Usually if there is someone an owner is listening to at this juncture its an ex-GM type who is consulting ala Casserly with the Jets, etc and then Casserly that off season recommended GMs for the Jets to interview, etc.

I don’t think Harris has to be careful at all. He’s the owner. What Snyder did doesn’t matter.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Good post, this is why I'm on the side of firing who we know we aren't keeping now instead of waiting. The Eagles are adding pro bowl safeties while we may watch our best safety walk for nothing at the end of the season cause our management team is in flux. Bring in a veteran interim GM to oversee the guys we have not and to make recommendations to Harris.

Ask Ron Wolf or someone if they'd work as a consultant and let them make a recommendation on our next GM if we move on from this current group. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think Harris has to be careful at all. He’s the owner. What Snyder did doesn’t matter.

Not so much about Snyder.  But lets say for example Ben Johnson who likely is the hottest head coaching prospect.  He can likely pick his spot.  Everything being equal, would Harris send some early red flags by firing a head coach within half a season and or making calls with personnel? Everything being equal, even if it makes him pause, maybe that's the tipping point to choose one team over the other.  Keim isn't the only one who suggested it can come off like a red flag.

Also for whatever reason you don't typically see GM candidates who are usually the 2nd in command guys jump ship within season.  Those interviews tend to happen after the season.  So if they want to interview 6-7 guys or whatever this isn't likely the ideal time to do it.

I don't know why Gms don't tend to manifest in mid season for new teams -- but am guessing the league frowns on those moves withins season. I gather because they are in the middle of still doing their jobs.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We are on the same page for sure. And Harris likely does have a trusted consultant that he's either working with now or working on getting. He likes having respectable people in place to advise him. 

• Like 1

Not so much about Snyder.  But lets say for example Ben Johnson who likely is the hottest head coaching prospect.  He can likely pick his spot.  Everything being equal, would Harris send some early red flags by firing a head coach within half a season and or making calls with personnel? Everything being equal, even if it makes him pause, maybe that's the tipping point to choose one team over the other.

Also for whatever reason you don't typically see GM candidates who are usually the 2nd in command guys jump ship within season.  Those interviews tend to happen after the season.  So if they want to interview 6-7 guys or whatever this isn't likely the ideal time to do it.

I don't know why Gms don't tend to manifest in mid season for new teams -- but am guessing the league frowns on those moves withins season.

I don’t see an issue. Clearing out a staff that wasn’t going to be in place and getting guys in place with forward thinking for the franchise in mind is a smart business decision. No HC candidate is going to look at the removal of Rivera as a red flag, imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t see an issue. Clearing out a staff that wasn’t going to be in place and getting guys in place with forward thinking for the franchise in mind is a smart business decision. No HC candidate is going to look at the removal of Rivera as a red flag, imo.

Some think it would in part because Harris would be breaking his word as for what he's told people from what I understand.  But the larger point is Harris' style is to obsess on getting the best GM judging by how he approached his other teams.  I don't see how he can cast a wide net on that front right now.  These guys from what i recall don't tend to jump ship from team to another team smack in the middle of the season.

Some think it would in part because Harris would be breaking his word as for what he's told people from what I understand.  But the larger point is Harris' style is to obsess on getting the best GM judging by how he approached his other teams.  I don't see how he can cast a wide net on that front.  These guys from what i recall don't tend to jump ship from team to another team smack in the middle of the season.

I’m not necessarily talking about a permanent GM at this juncture. I’m talking about an interim guy or a panel of them to help make decisions on the franchise based on industry standard processes. For instance, someone to talk to the pending FAs and see where their heads are, what kind of contract they are looking for, etc., and determining if signing them is even an option so they can pursue compensation if it isn’t. Minor things like that go a real long way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not necessarily talking about a permanent GM at this juncture. I’m talking about an interim guy or a panel of them to help make decisions on the franchise based on industry standard processes. For instance, someone to talk to the pending FAs and see where their heads are, what kind of contract they are looking for, etc., and determining if signing them is even an option so they can pursue compensation if it isn’t. Minor things like that go a real long way.

I am not sure what they are doing behind the scenes but i get the vibe they are doing something.  As for how it effects the trading deadline I guess we will see soon enough.

I don't think we'll see any big midseason trades. The current staff has no future job security and as such has no obligation to look towards building for 2024 and beyond. And I don't see Harris as the type to step in and start trading guys on his own.

This is where the late timing of the sale effs us. Had Harris gotten the team in like, say, April or May, he could have had his own GM in place after the draft(while still letting Rivera remain as HC)and that GM could start trying to make moves for the future.

We're just in a tough situation.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Quality GM candidates aren't  looking for a job right now. So new HC candidates know their new boss isn't top quality

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

Quality GM candidates aren't  looking for a job right now. So new HC candidates know their new boss isn't top quality

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

See above.