Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

6 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

For the record, if we trade players for picks now, it's going to be this same staff selecting players with those picks, right? As I understand it, most GM candidates aren't available until the summer. Of course, this is all subject to to change if Harris opts to go young and upcoming.

No, GM’s are interviewed and hired at the same time as HC’s, in the winter. As are other scouting executives. 

It’s the rank and file scouts (regional and area scouts, etc.) who don’t move until their contracts expire post-NFL draft. But that will be in the spring as well, not summer.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not so sure about the no comp pick thing. Look at what the Bears have done. They sat on their roster and moved guys for picks, let FAs go, while they brought in a new coach and waited to see what Fields had, then the year after signed some decent FAs and still have a ton of cap. Eagles let high end guys walk, some they tradeed for one year deals and didn't sign anyone to replace them and then got some comp picks. Dolphins sold off assets and sat out a year and then this year reinvested.

It feels like an NFL version of "the process" to me. Let guys go, get assets sink in draft position and lets your cap empty out. When you have a new GM and a new coach that you're going to stand behind for a long time and let them build their team, you can do that. Have a multi year plan and look ahead.

We've just never seen it, but it seems to be one way soe of the younger new GMs are into.

It's not a tank job either, kind of a refreshing flush and we can do a really really big one. If we let Chase, Sweat, Fuller (who may be the top corner on the market), Curl (who might be a top Safety on the market), Samuels all walk. I think Leno can go this year. That's a lot of high end talent that can be replaced with budget guys on the roster. Bring in players from other teams PS or low end FAs, we'll come away with a few comp picks and a ton of roster space. Have a good draft and bring in PS players who may contribute, it sets us up really really well going into 2025, which could be when a name change and new stadium are announced.

The HOG is in for the long run. He's looking for a legacy, not a win now guy. Zero chance they aren't thinking years ahead already.

Trying to recall who said what, listening to different podcasts including a cap anayltics guy, Keim among others.  The takeaway I got from it was its a long shot that we get that comp pick.   They doubted this FO doesn't make a big signing.

No way to know.  We might find out.  I am just not in love with the trade value of a mid round pick for superstars.  For OK players, its fine or actually good.  But if they are going to lose one of these guys, a late round 3rd in 2025 doesn't move the needle for me.  I'd rather get a higher pick now.  If that's how its going to fly.

I am not so sure this is going to be a complete tear down next season.  I think there is a shot a new regime would in effect try to rebalance this roster.   In short I don't want 100 million or so spent on a unit that's not even close to be dominating.  It's not worth overdoing it IMO for the D line.  I was OK with it in theory if this unit dominated but not for the 29th ranked defense in the NFL versus a soft schedule so far.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trying to recall who said what, listening to different podcasts including a cap anayltics guy, Keim among others.  The takeaway I got from it was its a long shot that we get that comp pick.   They doubted this FO doesn't make a big signing.

No way to know.  We might find out.  I am just not in love with the trade value of a mid round pick for superstars.  For OK players, its fine or actually good.  But if they are going to lose one of these guys, a late round 3rd in 2025 doesn't move the needle for me.  I'd rather get a higher pick now.  If that's how its going to fly.

I am not so sure this is going to be a complete tear down next season.  I think there is a shot a new regime would in effect try to rebalance this roster.   In short I don't want 100 million or so spent on a unit that's not even close to be dominating.  It's not worth overdoing it IMO for the D line.  I was OK with it in theory if this unit dominated but not for the 29th ranked defense in the NFL versus a soft schedule so far.

I can agree with this. We can bring most of the players back. A lot will be available long into the offseason. Chase I think is a must to stay into the future. If we got a second for Sweat, that'd be alright, but I like Sweat and his balanced play.

You and I are on the same page about the talent level of this team and I'd guess a new GM/HC would want to keep it together, but you never know.

• Like 2

I think I'm open to trading everyone.  And I mean, everyone.  Up until acouple days ago, I had a handful of untouchdbles, but I'm off that.  None of these guys are so good they shouldn't be dealt.  Like, Mclaurin's my favorite player on the team, and maybe my favorite player since the glory days.  BUT, he's not really a difference maker.  He doesn't really put up huge numbers and dominate.  He's not Jefferson, Hill, Kupp, or Diggs.  Hell, even a guy that's supposed to be in his tier, like AJ Brown, is cooking people every single week.  And a lot of that is QB play and OC's not focusing on him.  But I dont see any of that changing.  If we're not gonna take advantage of the asset on the field, trade him.  Trade him to KC and watch him catch 90 balls for 1400 yards and 10 TDs.

And Curl, Allen, Payne, they can all go if the price is right.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think I'm open to trading everyone.  And I mean, everyone.  Up until acouple days ago, I had a handful of untouchdbles, but I'm off that.  None of these guys are so good they shouldn't be dealt.  Like, Mclaurin's my favorite player on the team, and maybe my favorite player since the glory days.  BUT, he's not really a difference maker.  He doesn't really put up huge numbers and dominate.  He's not Jefferson, Hill, Kupp, or Diggs.  Hell, even a guy that's supposed to be in his tier, like AJ Brown, is cooking people every single week.  And a lot of that is QB play and OC's not focusing on him.  But I dont see any of that changing.  If we're not gonna take advantage of the asset on the field, trade him.  Trade him to KC and watch him catch 90 balls for 1400 yards and 10 TDs.

And Curl, Allen, Payne, they can all go if the price is right.  

I’d say I’m at this point too, Howell aside, who deserves a shot at the starting QB job in 2024. After that, everyone is fair game for a trade IMO. 

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it was Sam Fortier.  He said he talked to an salary cap analyst at OvertheCap and basically was told the Commanders definitely should not count on getting a 3rd round comp pick.  First if you spend in free agency, you could negate and then even beyond that, there are a lot of things you don't control with the comp pick formula. 

4 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think it was Sam Fortier.  He said he talked to a salary cap analyst at OvertheCap and basically was told the Commanders definitely should not count on getting a 3rd round comp pick.  First if you spend in free agency, you could negate and then even beyond that, there are a lot of things you don't control with the comp pick formula. 

Yep, playing time at the new team being one of them.

Sweat for a 2nd would be divine. Keep Young and let him take the rest of this year to prove his continued health, then discuss that contract with him, or a franchise and trade. 

Either way, Sweat is the one I would move now, for the right pick. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Conn said:

From the draft war room videos it looks like Mayhew works the phones.

You would not rather have Magic Johnson handle that, that would be horrible. The owners should not be involved in that in any fashion. 

6 hours ago, Conn said:

From the draft war room videos it looks like Mayhew works the phones.

You would not rather have Magic Johnson handle that, that would be horrible. The owners should not be involved in that in any fashion. 

I think having a lame duck staff is pretty horrible too. This could be a pretty messed up situation.

3 hours ago, Conn said:

Sweat for a 2nd would be divine. Keep Young and let him take the rest of this year to prove his continued health, then discuss that contract with him, or a franchise and trade. 

Either way, Sweat is the one I would move now, for the right pick. 

It would need to be at least a 2nd for me to make the deal. I doubt we get offered that.

28 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I think having a lame duck staff is pretty horrible too. This could be a pretty messed up situation.

And yet it happens. Unfortunate timing. But having someone in your ownership group work the phones on trades—not normal. No thanks. 

44 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It would need to be at least a 2nd for me to make the deal. I doubt we get offered that.

I’d consider a 3rd and a next year 4th for sweat. I’d also jump at two 3rds, but I also have no idea what I’m doing.

2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Who's PFF? Spent a lot of time as a project manager......the more data the more bull****.

Pro Football Focus. They assign grades to people. 

People use them to prop their arguments all the time.

They have our OL ranked 8th and say they’ve only given up something like 16 of the 40 sacks. :ols:

• Haha 1