Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

17 hours ago, Conn said:

Sweat for a 2nd would be divine. Keep Young and let him take the rest of this year to prove his continued health, then discuss that contract with him, or a franchise and trade. 

Either way, Sweat is the one I would move now, for the right pick. 

Completely agree.

My take is that at least with Young, you don't fully know what you have yet...and there's a definite possibility of a big leap still to come.   Sweat has been here long enough; we know what we have in him, which is a solid DE who is anything but dynamic or a headache for good offenses.  Neither guy is a player you have to gameplan for, but the possibility for Young to reach that is still there.  Sweat is what he is.  

This D line is a failure.  For what has been invested, it's an abject failure and isn't going to magically get better.  They should be the Eagles type D line and be a nightmare for any offense we face.  Instead, they only make their presence known against mediocre or worse competition.  And sometimes not even then.   I have zero problem trading Sweat.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We could do that, there’s never been anything stopping us from paying them all. It was always a matter of “are they worth it” and “should we” in terms of roster construction. I certainly wouldn’t, I want to see that money on offense personally. The defensive scheme and play calling has let them down, but these players have still been playing together for multiple years at this point with hardly a glimpse of elite play against good offenses.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

We could do that, there’s never been anything stopping us from paying them all. It was always a matter of “are they worth it” and “should we” in terms of roster construction. I certainly wouldn’t, I want to see that money on offense personally. The defensive scheme and play calling has let them down, but these players have still been playing together for multiple years at this point with hardly a glimpse of elite play against good offenses.

I think the point was that it's easier to pay them than we realize, if we had proper cap guys running our show and it wouldn't hurt us moving forward.

It doesn't stop us from spending on offense.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the point was that it's easier to pay them than we realize, if we had proper cap guys running our show and it wouldn't hurt us moving forward.

Not in the short term, because you can structure the cap hits to be small early in if you want. Or the opposite. But eventually all 4 of those DL are going to be hitting for $20M+ on the cap and unless your offensive drafting is magnificent to make up for it within that window, you’re strapped elsewhere. It can be done, but idk why anyone would want to tempt fate and try it when we haven’t seen that group gel and dominate for any real period of time against good teams. 

I can see the argument for it though with a better DC, I wouldn’t foam at the mouth opposing it if the new staff comes in and has a vision.

• Like 1

Regardless of whether or not we can make it work for the cap, the fact remains that this line has underperformed relative to investment both in terms of contracts and draft capital. 

With that said and given where we are as a franchise where we will likely have a new FO/HC next year, best to try and trade one/both for max value. We need draft picks, and plenty of them. 

I agree with the poster who suggested we try and move Sweat. We know what his ceiling likely is. If we keep one, let's keep Chase.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

In something like 2028 or 2029, the eagles already have something like $100m committed in dead money.  They’re going all in right now to win a SB or two before they have to tear the whole thing down.  

I have no issue with this strategy if you’re ready to win.  

Nothing this team has shown indicates we’re ready for that type of strategy.  

And it starts with a top 10 Qb in their prime.  If we have that, then go for it.  I think the jury is still out on that.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In something like 2028 or 2029, the eagles already have something like $100m committed in dead money.  They’re going all in right now to win a SB or two before they have to tear the whole thing down.  

I have no issue with this strategy if you’re ready to win.  

Nothing this team has shown indicates we’re ready for that type of strategy.  

And it starts with a top 10 Qb in their prime.  If we have that, then go for it.  I think the jury is still out on that.  

I understand what the eagles are doing. I and a few others, like Sip, Dwinz, etc, felt like this roster was close.

With a new HC and an OC that's not incompetent, working with a GM that's smart and forward thinking, we could be exactly like the Eagles. When Siriani was calling plays, Hurts looked like a bust and they went after Wilson. He let Schtien take over play calling and Hurts is a top 10 QB. Now, with Johnson, he's leveled off a bit.

But when he looked good, they invested in him. 

They also did things like sign Hargraves when he was worth $20mil per and when his contract ran out, they let the 49ers pay $40 mil per for him and drafted his replacement.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I understand what the eagles are doing. I and a few others, like Sip, Dwinz, etc, felt like this roster was close.

Who are you? Bruce Allen? We’re close?  We’re close to nothing. Except an entire rebuild. 

- still have questions at QB, which is the biggest thing.

- OL is a mess

- strongest unit, the DL, consistently underperforms

- Holes at LB

- Secondary has one player who might start on another team in Fuller and they blew the draft with Forbes so it isn’t getting better. 
- No TEs to speak of

- RBs are ok at best

- 1 good WR and a bunch of guys who are sometimes good

Is it a better roster than we had under Bruce/Jay?  Yes.

Is it capable with better coaching of getting to 9-10 wins? Yes.

Is it built to be a SB contender even with the best coaching staff? No.

They need to blow up the entire defense and start over.  It doesn’t work together and it’s not ALL on JDR.  

You have Ashburn Syndromed yourself into thinking there’s more here than there is.  

We’re not close. 

Now, a new GM/Coach, given the cap room and draft assets could get us close quickly.  IF Howell is the answer at QB or they go get an answer if he’s not.  

• Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Who are you? Bruce Allen? We’re close?  We’re close to nothing. Except an entire rebuild. 

- still have questions at QB, which is the biggest thing.

- OL is a mess

- strongest unit, the DL, consistently underperforms

- Holes at LB

- Secondary has one player who might start on another team in Fuller and they blew the draft with Forbes so it isn’t getting better. 
- No TEs to speak of

- RBs are ok at best

- 1 good WR and a bunch of guys who are sometimes good

Is it a better roster than we had under Bruce/Jay?  Yes.

Is it capable with better coaching of getting to 9-10 wins? Yes.

Is it built to be a SB contender even with the best coaching staff? No.

They need to blow up the entire defense and start over.  It doesn’t work together and it’s not ALL on JDR.  

You have Ashburn Syndromed yourself into thinking there’s more here than there is.  

We’re not close. 

Now, a new GM/Coach, given the cap room and draft assets could get us close quickly.  IF Howell is the answer at QB or they go get an answer if he’s not.  

I think we're close and I've said it all year. That's why I was so mad at the FA trash we brought in and the buffoon at OC and his garbage play calling.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think we're close and I've said it all year. That's why I was so mad at the FA trash we brought in and the buffoon at OC and his garbage play calling.

Yeah you’re trying to put the entire season and roster on EB. 

I think that’s a bit much. 

Especially given how unbelievably disappointing the defense has been.  

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah you’re trying to put the entire season and roster on EB. 

I think that’s a bit much. 

Especially given how unbelievably disappointing the defense has been.  

No I'm not. Rons bad personnel decisions, bad draft and worse FAs, JDRs lack of pressure and trying to force man coverage with a rookie, instead of zone where we thrive.

Not investing in LBer which I've been yelling about for years.

I don't like EB and I think he's a trash OC with no idea what he's doing, which he is proving to be right. I think Ron gave his ol buddy a shot, knowing he was on his way out. I hate all of that.

You seem to only be able to read anything I say about EB and then get all dramatic about it. It's annoying. 

I listed two thing, you only read one. There is a bunch of things I don't like and I've said them ad nauseum and sound like a broken record, but for whatever reason you react like all I'm saying is that I don't like EB.

It's pointless to engage with you on here. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Rivera having no idea what’s happening while being the leader of this franchise speaks volumes.

Seems pretty on point for his style. We're out of the playoffs? Sam Howell can play? We can trade players?

J/K I think this speak more to the recent hiring of Shen. Ron just unofficially got a new football boss.

• Like 2

I think Rivera's comments are pretty clear.  Teams have expressed interest, one team maybe made a low ball offer on Montez Sweat, but until teams start making serious offers we don't know how serious other teams are.  Lets say a team offered a fourth rounder for Montez Sweat.   We want a second rounder.  At some point thing might get serious and while a team doesn't make offer a second, they offer a third this year and a fourth the following year, which would be a serious offer even if it adds up to less than a second rounder, which is generally thought to be equal to two third rounders.  But until a team starts seriously negotiating, we don't know who is seriously interested.  That was my interpreation

• Like 3