Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

31 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This is a bit of a stretch, the difference between the tag and a 5th year option is only a couple million so it was worth the gamble to provide motivation in a "show me" year for chase.

The hardest part is if we want to keep both him and sweat we now have to extend one before the season ends because we can't tag them both and it gives leverage to both of them.

If they're smart they'll team up and use that leverage together to put us in a pickle.

This is a Reed richards/gumby level stretch.

He's a fantastic prospect but most highly regarded prospect in NFL history?

I don't think so.

The irony is that if you compiled a list of the most highly touted prospects in nfl history he wouldn't even rank above the one we're currently talking about trading for him.

Meant TE prospects specifically! Should've made that clearer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too but my gut is you and I will more likely to be their next RT than Collins.  Ron seems to be stubborn on the point of just let it ride on almost every roster position especially O line. 

Agreed. RonMart isn't going to do a single thing and just let it ride, but if EB comes out with that same bull**** gameplan as the first three weeks against the Eagles, we're going to need a new level of incompetence from the Bears and Denver to cover up our stink.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Agreed. RonMart isn't going to do a single thing and just let it ride, but if EB comes out with that same bull**** gameplan as the first three weeks against the Eagles, we're going to need a new level of incompetence from the Bears and Denver to cover up our stink.

We are to my eyes playing a lot of 6 man protections and struggiling to block 4 while opposing defenses are putting 7 in coverage.

They can do this because I gather they figure we aren't committing to the run.  Our hyped receivers are ranked almost dead last in the league right now by PFF and another metric which shows Dotson and Terry are struggiling to seperate and getting open. 

It doesn't take a mathametician to deduce teams have the numbers to clamp down on Dotson and Terry with 7 in coverage especially when a TE and or RB is staying back to pass block so opposing defenses don't have as many guys they need to cover so they can double up Dotson and Terry.

Hopefully they can make a change.  Some take the O line off the hook because some of these sacks are on Sam or because PFF rates the O line as pedestrian as to how good their 5-7 guys are in blocking 4.    But those that defend the O line miss the forrest for the trees. 

The fact that 4 D lineman from teams that have struggled to create sacks against other teams can bring the heat on this QB means everything --  because in short it becomes a vicious cycle as Jay Gruden pointed out because Sam has to hold on to the ball longer because his receivers aren't getting open.   So some blame that on Sam for holding on to the ball.  But its still mostly on the O line IMO.   

If opposing defenses can bring heat with 4 and cover the receivers with 7 where dudes aren't getting open -- Sam of course has to hold on to the ball longer to see if a receiver can get free.  It feels hipsterish to me when some on twitter blame that on Sam.  But to me that's not on Sam. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

New ownership must be asking why they got into this. Why there are no efforts being made to plug the holes in the dike...lineup changes, game plans updates, new players being brought in, anything other than 5 long snappers not as good as the cheese.

As they were talking about on 106.7 with Doc about how embarassing it must have been with all the Alumni watching that game.

That game I think was likely a rude awakening for Harris.  Ron can talk a good game and I gather he sold Harris on the season or with a version of hey even if it doesn't happen for them this year send him his SB ring when they win in 2024 if he's fired.

Seeing them get boat raced by a good team while also noticing the team they beat last week were being boat raced in historic fashion  -- I gather is at least making him think Ron isn't the guy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We are to my eyes playing a lot of 6 man protections and struggiling to block 4 while opposing defenses are putting 7 in coverage.

They can do this because I gather they figure we aren't committing to the run.  Our hyped receivers are ranked almost dead last in the league right now by PFF and another metric which shows Dotson and Terry are struggiling to seperate and getting open. 

It doesn't take a mathametician to deduce teams have the numbers to clamp down on Dotson and Terry with 7 in coverage especially when a TE and or RB is staying back to pass block so opposing defenses don't have as many guys they need to cover so they can double up Dotson and Terry.

Hopefully they can make a change.  Some take the O line off the hook because some of these sacks are on Sam or because PFF rates the O line as pedestrian as to how good their 5-7 guys are in blocking 4.    But those that defend the O line miss the forrest for the trees. 

The fact that 4 D lineman from teams that have struggled to create sacks against other teams can bring the heat on this QB means everything --  because in short it becomes a vicious cycle as Jay Gruden pointed out because Sam has to hold on to the ball longer because his receivers aren't getting open.   So some blame that on Sam for holding on to the ball.  But its still mostly on the O line IMO.   

If opposing defenses can bring heat with 4 and cover the receivers with 7 where dudes aren't getting open -- Sam of course has to hold on to the ball longer to see if a receiver can get free.  It feels hipsterish to me when some on twitter blame that on Sam.  But to me that's not on Sam. 

I think I saw that Turner and Bates were both in on 61% of plays. Turner doesn't stay in to block. Also, Gibson was in on twice the plays that BRob was and Gibson is a terrible blocker. BRob isn't great. CRod is the best pass blocker and had 1 offensive snap.

All of our backs can catch. I don't know why we aren't using Bates and CRod to block and sneak out. We can't just run 2 WRs and a Turner out into 7 man coverages, when they're sitting on that.

We have got to run the ball and bring defenses up to the line, then we can get behind them. The lack of second half adjustments and trying to force more of the same, when we were only down 16 points was almost as pathetic as our last drive fighting for 3 points.

• Like 5

The crazy thing is we have some who push back saying what did we expect Ron to do.   And we should trust his instincts as to whatever O lineman he decided wasn't worth it.

Look Ron has done some good things as to the roster.  He inherited a big time D line and made it even better.   He also inherited a really good O line and made it one of the worst in the league.  Somehow this has balanced out to being an 8-8 team.  What a shocker.

And no I don't trust Ron when it comes to what O lineman he doesn't think is worth taking.   He's proven to us already that the O line isn't his wheel house to say the least.

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 12.01.36 PM.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We've overlooked a lot of options and it's definitely fixable.

I think the position coaching mix up this offseason is also not helping anything. Castilo being the OL coach and TEs, when both positions were code red, can't be helping anything now.

I can't wait to see it all cleaned out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think I saw that Turner and Bates were both in on 61% of plays. Turner doesn't stay in to block. Also, Gibson was in on twice the plays that BRob was and Gibson is a terrible blocker. BRob isn't great. CRod is the best pass blocker and had 1 offensive snap.

All of our backs can catch. I don't know why we aren't using Bates and CRod to block and sneak out. We can't just run 2 WRs and a Turner out into 7 man coverages, when they're sitting on that.

We have got to run the ball and bring defenses up to the line, then we can get behind them. The lack of second half adjustments and trying to force more of the same, when we were only down 16 points was almost as pathetic as our last drive fighting for 3 points.

They need to committ to the run.   Among other reasons as O lineman around the league have stated its much easier to attack the D line than have the D line always attack them.  It changes the tone of the game to some extent.

The delayed screen routes they used against Denver they should continue to use in a heavy way -- use the opposing defenses aggressiveness against them just like Buffalo's offense did to our defense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As they were talking about on 106.7 with Doc about how embarassing it must have been with all the Alumni watching that game.

That game I think was likely a rude awakening for Harris.  Ron can talk a good game and I gather he sold Harris on the season or with a version of hey even if it doesn't happen for them this year send him his SB ring when they win in 2024 if he's fired.

Seeing them get boat raced by a good team while also noticing the team they beat last week were being boat raced in historic fashion  -- I gather is at last making him think Ron isn't the guy.

After Sunday Ron, EB and JDR are all on notice. They had a little honeymoon with the new ownership after weeks 1 and 2. 

I agree with all or your OL misses posted above except Torrence. While he was rated higher than where he was drafted, he came with drawbacks that didn't necessarily fit with what the teams offensive plan was. However all the others were not misses but blunders.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The crazy thing is we have some who push back saying what did we expect Ron to do.   And we should trust his instincts as to whatever O lineman he decided wasn't worth it.

Look Ron has done some good things as to the roster.  He inherited a big time D line and made it even better.   He also inherited a really good O line and made it one of the worst in the league.  Somehow this has balanced out to being an 8-8 team.  What a shocker.

And no I don't trust Ron when it comes to what O lineman he doesn't think is worth taking.   He's proven to us already that the O line isn't his wheel house to say the least.

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 12.01.36 PM.png

images.jpg

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They need to committ to the run.   Among other reasons as O lineman around the league have stated its much easuer to attack the D line than have the D line always attack them.  It changes the tone of the game to some extent.

The delayed screen routes they used against Denver they should continue to use in a heavy way -- use the opposing defenses aggressiveness against them just like Buffalo's offense did to our defense.

This is true but will be hard this of all weeks. One other thing, you can't get sacked, pressured or throw interceptions when you are running the ball

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They need to committ to the run.   Among other reasons as O lineman around the league have stated its much easuer to attack the D line than have the D line always attack them.  It changes the tone of the game to some extent.

The Cardinals put on a clinic on how to attack the Cowboys defense and it was fun to watch. Run at Parsons, make them attack you more and then throw over them, while pounding Connor up their line.

EB was calling plays like he was playing 4D chess, but everyone knew it was checkers.

I'm really curious to see what he does, but I'll be it's the same game plan again.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

After Sunday Ron, EB and JDR are all on notice. They had a little honeymoon with the new ownership after weeks 1 and 2. 

I agree with all or your OL misses posted above except Torrence. While he was rated higher than where he was drafted, he came with drawbacks that didn't necessarily fit with what the teams offensive plan was. However all the others were not misses but blunders.

I think our defense played really well most of the game, but Jack called a **** game too and continues to have the most predictable play calling. 

He basically just runs a base and hopes his studs make him look good.

• Like 2

Just now, DWinzit said:

This is true but will be hard this of all weeks. One other thing, you can't get sacked, pressured or throw interceptions when you are running the ball

True. But Gibson could fumble 🙂

Eagles are a much better D against the run than the pass. I totally agree that we need to be more committed to the run game - and get more effective play action off that. But that doesn’t mean going run, run pass against a team who are good against the run. 

Putting Sam in 3rd and long on a consistent basis behind a line that struggle to protect will not end well. 

First down is the best down to pass on. But we need to game plan to have those be plays that a WR can win on quickly and give Sam places to get the ball out much quicker.

Then Sam’s clock has to speed up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

True. But Gibson could fumble 🙂

Eagles are a much better D against the run than the pass. I totally agree that we need to be more committed to the run game - and get more effective play action off that. But that doesn’t mean going run, run pass against a team who are good against the run. 

Putting Sam in 3rd and long on a consistent basis behind a line that struggle to protect will not end well. 

First down is the best down to pass on. But we need to game plan to have those be plays that a WR can win on quickly and give Sam places to get the ball out much quicker.

Then Sam’s clock has to speed up. 

Agreed and do wish to see more CRod, less Gibby. And when Gibby is in move him around the slot and outside

The backfield with more combos of BRob, CRob and I wouldn't mind seeing some Armah. 

One thing for certain, EB must do some magnificent improvements

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I didn't pound the table for Torrence because he was seen as a late first rounder.  I thought that was a reach but a late 2nd was good value IMO.  Yeah he's more of a mauler gap bocker than he is a zone blocking RB.  But judging by his PFF pass blocking grade and the fact that he hasn't given up a sack and I presume he was part of the reason why this team didn't sack Josh Allen once or even got much pressure on him -- I gather he would be helpful here.  If he can block Daron Payne.  You'd think he can help this O line avoid their 19 sack record making start for the season.

• Like 1

“I told Trent he needs to prove himself” should have been a huge 🚩 the moment it occurred.  I recall convincing myself that it didn’t come across the way it sounded and that Ron was smart enough to kiss Trent’s ass to get him back in the fold.

But the more we learned down the road, was that Ron was essentially carrying Dan’s water regarding Trent.

• Like 3