Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Why the hell are we adding void years onto Leno’s deal to create $6M in space we aren’t gonna spend? Seems they usually prefer to roll over any space they already have so I wonder what the thinking is here 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

Why the hell are we adding void years onto Leon’s deal to create $6M in space we aren’t gonna spend? Seems they usually prefer to roll over any space they already have so I wonder what the thinking is here 

I'm not sure what you're complaining about here? Created space also rolls over.

Anyways, we went from 524k in cap space to 6.5m in cap space. It was needed.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Yeah, dead money from camp cuts, and then PS signings blew the last bit of cap space. To your point, they weren’t making it through the season with half a mil, lol.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I didn’t realize they had gotten down to half a mil in cap space, that’s the reason right there. Man what an empty usage of the cap space we did have to start the offseason (other than the Payne re-signing obviously). 

In a vacuum I don’t like adding void years and spreading the cap hit if you don’t have to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Aren't we surprised it's Leno though? The general feeling is we go OT in the draft next year, our OL looks like ****, yet we increase his cap hit. I know it's not a real extension but aren't there players we are more likely to keep that would have made more sense?

I don’t necessarily disagree, but if we do go OT in the draft, it’s more important we solve RT.  In an ideal world we can upgrade both tackle spots, but that’s probably a challenge.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Aren't we surprised it's Leno though? The general feeling is we go OT in the draft next year, our OL looks like ****, yet we increase his cap hit. I know it's not a real extension but aren't there players we are more likely to keep that would have made more sense?

As for Leno, the total cap hit is the same regardless, we aren't adding additional money. We do it because it spreads the same money out over 4 years and gives us flexibility now. He does it because it makes him a little more secure financially. He gets 6.5 million now instead of over the course of the season, and he's a little harder to cut in 2024.

This should not affect 2024 draft plans. We aren't paying Wylie as much money as people think. From a cap perspective we can easily draft a RT, and have Wylie be the backup or move to LG. After this season, Lucas and Charles are free agents. So that's the backup OT and the starting LG.

If we spend a 1st rounder on an OT here's the estimated cap hit for Year 1:

5th overall pick - $5.85m

10th overall - $3.85m

15th overall - $3m

20th overall - $2.65m

25th overall - $2.5m

Lucas cap hit this year is 4.5 million. It's pretty likely that a 1st round OT's cap hit will be less than what we currently pay our backup OT.  Even if Wylie becomes just the backup OT, our overall OT spending would not be bad. If Wylie is moved to LG because that spot is now open after Charles rookie contract expires, then it's also an appropriate allocation of cap spending.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let’s send Jacoby Brissett to the Jets for a solid O lineman. We might have to throw in a late round future pick as well to make it happen, so be it. Even if they decide to Roll with Zach Wilson it sounds like they will at least need a backup. They are in win now mood, and are gonna need to make a move.   I’d be fine Rolling with just Sam and Jake Fromm for the year if we can get someone to help this O-line out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Thanks that's good to hear, but don't we now have dead cap in those new years, assuming we cut him next season or the one after?

Void years turns into dead cap when the contract ends. So $4.8 million in dead cap in 2025 and $1.6 million in extra cap in 2024. If we cut him in 2024, then the full 6.5ish million in dead cap hits then (we'd still save some money cutting him though so it's a possible option).

We have the 3rd most cap space in 2024 with $87 million. Our cap situation is really good. With the usual salary cap expansion and our loads of cap space in 2024, that shouldn't be something we feel.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

27 minutes ago, Conn said:

https://x.com/fieldyates/status/1701703150800126257?s=46&t=dlLRyneF5BuPZKQ_J3Da9w

Collins released.

Probably washed, but we need to work him out 

Yeah, off year last year as a pass blocker but still a good run blocker.  Before 2022, he was good both with the run and pass blocking.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

That account prob doesn’t have any real sources but I hope they do. I saw Mina Kines advocating HARD for them to go after Jacoby today which kind of got the idea floating around twitter. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where this came from, rather than a real source. But I’ll cross my fingers 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

That account prob doesn’t have any real sources but I hope they do. I saw Mina Kines advocating HARD for them to go after Jacoby today which kind of got the idea floating around twitter. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where this came from, rather than a real source. But I’ll cross my fingers 

Would love to do the Wentz deal. 3rd this year, conditional 3rd/2nd in 24.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Would love to do the Wentz deal. 3rd this year, conditional 3rd/2nd in 24.

2 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

so you are telling me you want brissett on our roster

we only signed Brissett to a one year deal so we're not getting a pick in the 2025 draft which would be the second pick in the proposed trade there

give me Brissett for Wes Schweitzer

Edited by MrJL
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

we only signed Brissett to a one year deal so we're not getting a pick in the 2025 draft which would be the second pick in the proposed trade there

this and the fact that, with rodgers out, they won't have to give up their #1 and there is a good chance they'll be drafting high...so every pick to the 4th round is likely to be a premium pick. saleh isn't in danger of losing his job this season. i don't think he's gonna give up that much for any type of stop gap, let alone someone of brissett's caliber (he's good...but it's not like he's jimmy g.).