Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Night Thread - Washington vs NY Giants: Round Two. Ding! Ding! Mothaf**kahs!!!

TK
Message added by TK,

1296459415_ScreenShot2022-12-18at11_30_14PM.thumb.png.00b7b0a9cb4052495faf305dc4c24108.png

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

for people wondering about us complaining about the refs when Heinicke gave up that sack fumble, it's simple.  Heinicke gave the Giants 7.  Refs took 8 off the board for us

Don't forget that Heinicke (again) tried his hardest to give the game away on the final drive but DBs just absolutely refuse to catch passes directly to them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

for people wondering about us complaining about the refs when Heinicke gave up that sack fumble, it's simple.  Heinicke gave the Giants 7.  Refs took 8 off the board for us

Heinicke is awful but the sack fumble isn't on him. Pretty sure that was on the Oline...... again.  But yes Heinicke probably cost us 21 points. 

I have followed the Washington Redskins from over here in the UK, first seeing them play on TV over here in 1984. I really got into them from around 1998, I've been over watching our Redskins twice(2 wins). Now I have felt the wins and losses(plenty or these) personally in my heart because I love the Redskins and always will. But with the game being 1.20am over here I recorded the game to watch before work today, I was confident of a win after hearing coaches and players asking for more home support. But I couldn't wait and checked the final score very early this morning,  this defeat has hit me like a Ton of bricks,  I don't know why but it has really upset me. 

Really ****** Redskin fan.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Heinicke is awful but the sack fumble isn't on him. Pretty sure that was on the Oline...... again.  But yes Heinicke probably cost us 21 points. 

The strip sack was an organizational failure from how they got to 2nd and 18, the playcall, Leno getting beat like a drum and Heinicke patting the ball in the no-pat zone.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

On another note we will continue to get boned by the refs until Snyder sells. Goodell has determined that we will continue to pick 15 >, and he has instructed all facets of the NFL machine,  even down to the lowliest sideline judge.🤣🤣🤣🤣

I mean, its not like that would be hard to do.  

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

We know that we can't rely on the offense to score many points, but at the same time it's completely unrealistic to expect your defense to hold most teams to single digits, especially in the modern pass happy high scoring NFL. The Giants aren't exactly what I'd call a prolific offense, but they've been averaging a bit over 20 points per game. A defense holding them to 13 points is mostly doing their job.

I'm not saying the defense played amazing or that the long drive then allowing Barkley to run down their throats on that late drive weren't disappointing, but them holding the Giants to 13 points is still mostly holding up their end of the bargain.

Yes the defense didn't play amazing. Yes the refs botched a couple of calls. But none of that changes the fact that our offense is awful.

No one argued against that though. But their defense basically made the difference when it mattered. They scored 7 themselves, caused a fumble in the redzone taking at least 3 off the board and had a turnover on downs (even though that was more on the refs than their defense).

The Giants came into the game with the exact same path to success we had: We go as far as the defense will take us. Their offense is just a ****ty as ours, they also only scored 13 points. So the difference in that meeting of two ****ty offenses was their defense making points, ours didn't.

Is that then on the defense or the offense? It's still mostly on the offense obviously, but at the end of the day the Giants defense made the difference in a matchup that was just as favorable for our defense as for theirs.

34 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Is that then on the defense or the offense? It's still mostly on the offense obviously, but at the end of the day the Giants defense made the difference in a matchup that was just as favorable for our defense as for theirs.

Our QB was ****tier than theirs, really.

• Like 2

Fwiw

Folks might want to view gmfbs breakdown on the two ref calls most are focusing on, and Jason mccourty comments in particular.

Recap: film shows Terry checking with ref. Ref motions terry up and Terry looks then turns away and only leans forward with his upper body, doesn't move his feet forward though. Ref has hand on flag, ready to throw cuz he can see the formation is off, sees Terry did not move up and Terry is now looking on other direction from ref who's hand is still on flag but ref has to wait til ball is actually snapped to throw so ref is readying to do so as soon as possible per normal.  

Make of that what you will.

On the end zone piggy back: absolutely pass interference. But it's a judgement call. And the point db Jason mccourty made, and peter schrager agreed, is that it's common for plays like that at the end of the game to often go uncalled if it was even close in real time and not slow motion review. They often try to not have a pi call decide the game at the end by setting up a first and goal at the end and rather let the receiver just make the play if he can. Again, they emphasize that it's judgement and how close it seems in real time. And shrags and Jason said they've seen calls like that made all year. 

Now my take is I get sll that but one prob to me, and it's only on the no pi call, is the inconsistency in that approach. It sure is judgement and that means inconsistency from ref squad to ref squad and game to game depending on things, or even within in a came, even if it's just the diff in what one guy sees in "real time."

My final position on the loss is it fits us at this time. Too weak at qb and pass pro, too inconsistent and off key with play calling, and poor in game management, to be a serious play off team.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Now my take is I get sll that but one prob to me, and it's only on the no pi call, is the inconsistency in that approach. It sure is judgement and that means inconsistency from ref squad to ref squad and game to game depending on things, or even within in a came, even if it's just the diff in what one guy sees in "real time."

My stance, and it’s why I hate their explanation, is that you should call it consistently through the game. 

different refs different days different points of emphasis coming from the league office, I get why it changes week to week or year to year. 

but call it in the 4th way you did the other 3 quarters. Players will see what they can and can’t get away with and adjust through the game. 

but changing it up on the final drive? That’s lame. You can’t just turn db’s loose to do whatever because you don’t want your flag to “decide the game.”  It’s dumb. Your job is to set the tone in the first half, and stick to it in the second, so the players can play and your willynilly judgement doesn’t affect the game

cause what they did, did affect the game. They missed a blatant PI on the last play of the game. And it wasn’t a Hail Mary. It was a short route in condensed a field. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Fwiw

Folks might want to view gmfbs breakdown on the two ref calls most are focusing on, and Jason mccourty comments in particular.

Recap: film shows Terry checking with ref. Ref motions terry up and Terry looks then turns away and only leans forward with his upper body, doesn't move his feet forward though. Ref has hand on flag, ready to throw cuz he can see the formation is off, sees Terry did not move up and Terry is now looking on other direction from ref who's hand is still on flag but ref has to wait til ball is actually snapped to throw so ref is readying to do so as soon as possible per normal.  

Make of that what you will.

On the end zone piggy back: absolutely pass interference. But it's a judgement call. And the point db Jason mccourty made, and peter schrager agreed, is that it's common for plays like that at the end of the game to often go uncalled if it was even close in real time and not slow motion review. They often try to not have a pi call decide the game at the end by setting up a first and goal at the end and rather let the receiver just make the play if he can. Again, they emphasize that it's judgement and how close it seems in real time. And shrags and Jason said they've seen calls like that made all year. 

My final position on the loss is it fits us at this time. Too weak at qb and pass pro, too inconsistent and off key with play calling, and poor in game management, to be a serious play off team.

That was my take on both calls...

You can tell on the illegal formation play that Terry didn't do what the ref wanted him to do to be "legal" in his view. Whether Terry thought he got the OK and misunderstood, who knows? But I don't put that on the ref. That's on the WR to be sure he's compliant with the rule. 

The PI should have been called...and especially should have been called if they decided to hold the flag based on game situation. It's one thing if the ref truly thought it wasn't an infraction (doubtful, but possible). It's a completely different thing if he thought it was an infraction but didn't want a penalty to decide the game...that's inexcusable to me and I hate that mindset. It's for that same reason that I've hated the Tweets since last night of Skins fans saying that the line judge shouldn't have dropped a flag on Terry "in that situation" since it didn't impact the play. 

A foul/penalty is a foul/penalty. First quarter, fourth quarter, preseason, Super Bowl. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's a completely different thing if he thought it was an infraction but didn't want a penalty to decide the game...that's inexcusable to me and I hate that mindset.

You know that if the roles were reversed and we had the lead, and something egregious like that happened in the endzone, there would be 3 flags at least on the play and a huge spotlight from the ref helicopter beaming down on the DB.  We don't get those calls though.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

In this video it shows Terry looks at the ref and then moves up a foot.