Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Night Thread - Washington vs NY Giants: Round Two. Ding! Ding! Mothaf**kahs!!!

TK
Message added by TK,

1296459415_ScreenShot2022-12-18at11_30_14PM.thumb.png.00b7b0a9cb4052495faf305dc4c24108.png

8 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Actually, the tackle's hips.  The guard has to be at least up to the center's hips, the tackle to the guard's hips, and the end (whether wide or tight) to the tackles hips.  That's why sometimes the line will almost look like a "V".

what actually needs to be lined up, their foot closest to the LOS? 

e.g the guard's foot has to be at least up to the center's hips?

Edited by RandyHolt

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

what actually needs to be lined up, their foot?

Helmet if down in a stance, foot if standing.  Really, refs aren't anal about it as far as the WR is concerned.  I'm telling you that penalty was total BS.  Notice above, gruden said the same thing.  It's just not done.  That ref cheated.  No way around it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Helmet if down in a stance, foot if standing.  Really, refs aren't anal about it as far as the WR is concerned.  I'm telling you that penalty was total BS.  Notice above, gruden said the same thing.  It's just not done.  That ref cheated.  No way around it.

Yeah they let us win enough times. I think we won 6.5 of 8.  I bet the league doesnt want our entire division in the playoffs, nor Dastardly Dan for that matter.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

If you watch the replay the ref put his hand directly to his flag prior to the ball being snapped. It was out before anyone got a yard down the field.  Every receiver always checks with the line judge when they are way out.  Just my uneducated football eye for the last 45 years. Guarantee you will be seeing a vid of all of them doing it and the refs correcting or saying they are good. 

1 hour ago, BleedBNG said:

Would have been so much easier if TH could have somehow just punched it in instead of running to that pylon. Screw Kayvon.

Maybe Heinicke had his eyes closed, seems like an easy TD if he cuts to the left at about the 2-3 yard line instead of beelining into a direct hit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Maybe he saw 55 out of the corner of his eye and didn’t feel confident he could get around him?

But he definitely didn't run out of bounds to save his own ass, which is odd because he hasn't been running at all lately until he did a couple times in that game.

12 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

If you watch the replay the ref put his hand directly to his flag prior to the ball being snapped. It was out before anyone got a yard down the field.  Every receiver always checks with the line judge when they are way out.  Just my uneducated football eye for the last 45 years. Guarantee you will be seeing a vid of all of them doing it and the refs correcting or saying they are good. 

As Jumbo, myself and a couple others have been saying—the most likely explanation is that Terry misinterpreted whatever he thought the ref said or gestured, and didn’t move up far enough before turning his attention to the snap. Of course the ref had his hand on the flag before the snap and threw it immediately, he thought McLaurin ignored him. So he already knew it was an instant penalty.

A case of dumb miscommunication is way more likely than some vendetta or conspiracy. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

So, my question is, is a ref obligated to tell the player if he's lined up correctly or not? I assumed it was more of a courtesy type thing. Ultimately, a player should be responsible for his awareness of where he's lining up, no?

Based on what ive read and heard is that no, the ref isn't obligated.  But this is very common practice such that receivers and refs communicate on nearly every play of every game.  To throw a flag especially at that point in the game when Terry (and all other receivers on both teams) was just doing what was common practice is ridiculous.

I think one of the biggest problems teams and fans have with officiating is consistency.  They want to call it tight? Fine... but be consistent.  They want to let the players play?  Fine but be consistent.  When its something like this so out of left field and NOT consistent with how things had been called to that point is when people get upset.  Its those calls especially that have a direct affect on the outcome of a game.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Conn said:

As Jumbo, myself and a couple others have been saying—the most likely explanation is that Terry misinterpreted whatever he thought the ref said or gestured, and didn’t move up far enough before turning his attention to the snap. Of course the ref had his hand on the flag before the snap and threw it immediately, he thought McLaurin ignored him. So he already knew it was an instant penalty.

A case of dumb miscommunication is way more likely than some vendetta or conspiracy. 

Let's say that is the case then he shouldn't have thrown the flag since Terry wasn't even involved in the play and had no advantage over the DB. The ref was being an ass then. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I think one of the biggest problems teams and fans have with officiating is consistency.  They want to call it tight? Fine... but be consistent.  They want to let the players play?  Fine but be consistent.  When its something like this so out of left field and NOT consistent with how things had been called to that point is when people get upset.  Its those calls especially that have a direct affect on the outcome of a game.

And then after cancelling a TD on that play, to completely ignore the easiest PI call of the entire weekend makes the game look a little rigged. Especially after they had already screwed them earlier by removing the 2; points on a ticky tack call and that OL holding call that happens on literally every single play of the game.

Yeah, Heineke sucked and the offense laid an egg for most of the game but at least be consistent when it was obvious that players like Allen and Sweat we're wearing Giants OLmen like capes for most of the day without a single call on them for it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Let's say that is the case then he shouldn't have thrown the flag since Terry wasn't even involved in the play and had no advantage over the DB. The ref was being an ass then. 

Refs are always authoritarian asses. If he perceived McLaurin as asking if he was on the line and then ignoring instructions (as laid out in my above post theory), then yeah he felt slighted and decided to throw the flag. Whether most refs are arrogant jerks who are bad at their jobs or not isn’t up for discussion imo. Just the details of this particular situation.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy, but I side with Jay and everyone else that it was absolutely ridiculous to even think about pulling a flag out there.

I also feel like because they did throw the flag there, you absolutely have to call the following DPI.

The optics are bad and it’s not just Commanders fans whining about it.  General consensus is that was a terrible sequence for the refs.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy, but I side with Jay and everyone else that it was absolutely ridiculous to even think about pulling a flag out there.

I also feel like because they did throw the flag there, you absolutely have to call the following DPI.

The optics are bad and it’s not just Commanders fans whining about it.  General consensus is that was a terrible sequence for the refs.

Maybe the refs were just cold - the potential for us tying the game and going into extra time probably sounded like pain in the ***, lol. 

Edited by skinny21
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Conn said:

Refs are always authoritarian asses. If he perceived McLaurin as asking if he was on the line and then ignoring instructions (as laid out in my above post theory), then yeah he felt slighted and decided to throw the flag. Whether most refs are arrogant jerks who are bad at their jobs or not isn’t up for discussion imo. Just the details of this particular situation.

Yeah, but this is literally at the end of the game and McLaurin lined up next to him a couple dozen times or so prior to that moment. McLaurin was disrespectful the entire time? And for other games he's played in with that LJ? It doesn't exist in a vacuum.  Terrell Owens?  I coul see that.  Terry?  Nah.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, Jumbo said:

Fwiw

Now my take is I get sll that but one prob to me, and it's only on the no pi call, is the inconsistency in that approach. It sure is judgement and that means inconsistency from ref squad to ref squad and game to game depending on things, or even within in a came, even if it's just the diff in what one guy sees in "real time."

In a crucial play very late in the game, I could see if a ref doesn't throw the flag for a WR not involved in the play, but it was thrown directly to him, and thats a call a ref has to make 100 out of 100 times.

McLaurin's thing, well, its kinda ticky-tack but the obvious PI in the endzone, no, there's no way that can't be called; at least by a competent ref.

8 hours ago, Captain James said:

WOW. That's my first time seeing a replay of that. Holy crap that looked like a gimme. WTF

I saw it on game day and was like man only if he had ran to his left. Ron said he thought he was going for the pylon dive but their DE blocked him. I think TH was locked and loaded for the pylon dive so he didn't see that if he had run to his left that was a TD. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Because Dotson whiffed the block and Heinicke got stuffed?

Dotson might be dead if he engages a full speed Thibodeaux running downhill. IMO, Dotson clearly saw there was an easy cutback lane but TH tripped and his momentum led him out of bounds. 

On 12/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, Number 44 said:

Check out what Dean Blandino says...you can find it on the internet. He goes into great detail how the call was total bull****. It's infuriating.