Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Night Thread - Washington vs NY Giants: Round Two. Ding! Ding! Mothaf**kahs!!!

TK
Message added by TK,

1296459415_ScreenShot2022-12-18at11_30_14PM.thumb.png.00b7b0a9cb4052495faf305dc4c24108.png

43 minutes ago, Conn said:

They played around with PI calls being challengeable for one single season—and the referees as a whole literally rebelled against the league’s wishes. They confirmed their own poor calls over and over again that season to make the new rule seem not just pointless and time-wasting, but completely untenable. The refs as a group decided to be ungovernable and the league…just rolled over and took it. It was crazy to witness that season and it was rarely covered the way it should have been in the media. 

I don’t know how I forgot about that, but you are correct sir.

Also, 12 out of the 16 games this week were 1 possession games.  Im not sure if this is a trend but it really seems like there is more and more of games coming down to the last possession.  If this is the case, then its not just us.  Yea we should have scored 40 points and dominated but that just isn't happening much for any team.  More to the point, the refs need to do a better job if these games keep coming down to the wire, which is what the NFL wants. Blown, missed or terrible calls can sway games in a big way and have a huge impact on Vegas of course.   The spread last night was Washington -4.5 and ofc we lost by 8.  Strange.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, method man said:

The "don't blame the refs, blame ourselves" crowd need to can it when it comes to this game. Yes, there are a number of things this team should have done better on offense but never have I seen such egregious back to back bad calls by the refs on the final plays of a game winning / game tying drive

Yeah man.  Everyone carrying water for those refs can **** off.  They took nine points off the ****ing board from us in a game we lost by eight.  That's a ****ing huge margin in an NFL game.

• Like 3

This team had an entire extra week off to prepare for playing the same exact team they just played yet the Giants look much more prepared after getting smoked last weekend.  They don't deserve to be in the playoffs after that no matter the ref jobbing they took.

Also, Keyshawn Johnson on his show this morning said that McLaurin was absolutely lined up correctly and nobody ever gets it exactly perfect anyway so it shouldn't have been an issue at all. That should have been a TD. Either way, I enjoy watching Doofus Dan's final season (hopefully) going down in flames. Everybody knows they weren't winning anything anyway. I wish him a nasty hangover after that one lol.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

This team had an entire extra week off to prepare for playing the same exact team they just played yet the Giants look much more prepared after getting smoked last weekend.  They don't deserve to be in the playoffs after that no matter the ref jobbing they took.

Also, Keyshawn Johnson on his show this morning said that McLaurin was absolutely lined up correctly and nobody ever gets it exactly perfect anyway so it shouldn't have been an issue at all. That should have been a TD. Either way, I enjoy watching Doofus Dan's final season (hopefully) going down in flames. Everybody knows they weren't winning anything anyway. I wish him a nasty hangover after that one lol.

Anyone who says he was lined up correctly doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. It's not a judgement call, he wasn't close.

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Anyone who says he was lined up correctly doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. It's not a judgement call, he wasn't close.

Got a line of scrimmage jpg to share if it wasn't even close?  I think I read he only needs to be lined up with the centers hips.

Edited by RandyHolt

8 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

https://twitter.com/bthatrad/status/1604697733784272898/photo/1

He's lined up with the Ol, unlike the Giants WR who isn't even close.

Obviously the WR can't be directly ON the LOS. There is a buffer that seems inconsistent. What is the exact rule vs how is it actually enforced. Looks like they give a yard of wiggle room.

Edited by RandyHolt

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Looks like they give a yard of wiggle room.

Not in this instance. Only to the Giants WR who was more lined up with the QB than the OL.

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. No. 

His forward foot is clearly between the one and two, just like the entire OL.

Now compare with the Giants WR. Not even close.

Anyone else hear that the WR only need to be lined up with the centers FAT ASS?

I guess if a WR lines up too close to the LOS it telegraphs run play? Otherwise not sure why Terry would risk not being close enough on a simple dive.  At least Turner didn't try to dive Samuel there. What was up with all the failed Samuel runs.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Not in this instance. Only to the Giants WR who was more lined up with the QB than the OL.

His forward foot is clearly between the one and two, just like the entire OL.

Now compare with the Giants WR. Not even close.

LOL. No, I get that it's fun to play with misleading camera angles and all, but it's still obvious Terry is too far off the ball. 

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

My issue is with Terry. Why does he need a ref to tell him if he’s close enough to the line? 

From my understanding the perspective Terry or a WR has makes it difficult to tell exactly if they are lined up on the line.  A few inches to far and they are off sides.  The linesman is looking right down the LOS and can see so receivers typically ask the ref if they are good.  As Terry did.  Same as always.   Then the flag after Terry was told he was good.  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

My issue is with Terry. Why does he need a ref to tell him if he’s close enough to the line? 

Nothing wrong with checking, but he was so far off to begin with and then barely nudged forward. I'm just not buying that a ref blatantly lied to him to set him up for a penalty. There was almost surely a miscommunication/misunderstanding. The ultimate responsibility to line up correctly rests with him. Him saying he was on the line the whole time when he started so far off it doesn't inspire confidence. 

• Like 1

Jay Gruden on the radio today and here some bullet points:

- If it was me I would have ran across the field and tackled that referee.

-The ref should be suspended. 

-It happens all of the times if the tackles are lining up too deep they will tell the coach if he doesn't correct it they will throw the flag next time. Ref talks to the players and coaches all of the time. 

-Don't get me started on that ref.

-There is no way the ref can justify that call

-The guy still threw the flag. It was crazy.

-The call had no impact on the play

-The line is better at run plays than pass plays. On the sack-fumble it should have been a run instead of long developing pass play. 

-Their strength is running the ball, quick plays and play-action instead of longer plays. 

-Not good enough to protect for deeper pass plays

-Lots of teams are in the same boat but you have to get the ball to your playmakers a lot quicker. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Jay Gruden on the radio today and here some bullet points:

- If it was me I would have ran across the field and tackled that referee.

-The ref should be suspended. 

-It happens all of the times if the tackles are lining up too deep they will tell the coach if he doesn't correct it they will throw the flag next time. Ref talks to the players and coaches all of the time. 

-Don't get me started on that ref.

-There is no way the ref can justify that call

-The guy still threw the flag. It was crazy.

-The call had no impact on the play

-The line is better at run plays than pass plays. On the sack-fumble it should have been a run instead of long developing pass play. 

-Their strength is running the ball, quick plays and play-action instead of longer plays. 

-Not good enough to protect for deeper pass plays

-Lots of teams are in the same boat but you have to get the ball to your playmakers a lot quicker. 

It would never happen because I think there is some bad blood between Ron and Jay but I would substitute Jay in a minute for Scott Turner as OC

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's not a judgement call

Yes, it is.  

Terry checked with him.  That was clear to see, unless you think Terry asked him where he's going after the game.  It isn't all that easy sometimes to line up properly when split wide.  The ref will definitely answer you when asked, and do it honestly.  The guy lied to Terry and then couldn't wait to throw the flag.  Blatant.  Despicable.  The guy needs to be fired for such an act.

I'm a ref, and I'm telling you the wide-out checking with the linesman is the norm in football.  I've never seen such a thing.  Ever.

As far as I'm concerned, these refs weren't mistaken.  They made these bogus calls/non-calls on purpose.  Hate to say it, but it is impossible for me to believe these were mere misses.  They simply weren't the type of plays/calls where such a miss could happen.  They were clear and obvious, with no distraction.  Someone brought up the Sweat facemask in the PHI game.  No one saw the facemask when it happened.  The reason is the runner fumbled the ball just before the facemask occurred.  Everyone, including the refs, were focused on the ball.  We only noticed the facemask when looking at the replay.  Heck, even the runner wasn't screaming for a facemask call when it happened.  Things like that happen.  Any ref is going to miss a call here and there.  Screened out, imperfect angle, or some type of distraction (like the PHI fumble) cause that to happen sometimes.  But these flagrant BS calls - all in favor of the same team?  Sorry.  No.

Complaining about the refs tends to sound like sour grapes, but, man, when the refs clearly and deliberately change the outcome of several key plays all in favor of one team over the other, staying silent is the wrong course of action.  Something must be said - or it will keep happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Got a line of scrimmage jpg to share if it wasn't even close?  I think I read he only needs to be lined up with the centers hips.

Actually, the tackle's hips.  The guard has to be at least up to the center's hips, the tackle to the guard's hips, and the end (whether wide or tight) to the tackles hips.  That's why sometimes the line will almost look like a "V".

Edited by Number 44
  • Thanks 2

As a WR you are taught to check with the ref every time you get to the LOS. Absolutely no reason to throw that flag, such a BS call, I truly don’t think there’s a conspiracy anywhere on some grand scheme… but Tim Donaughy (sp) was technically a highly graded ref that was betting and cheating. Some of these guys have to be doing it, too much money out there. I can’t think of any reason other than that for that call. Probably could have called that for every play in the game. Just like when the line bends off the LOS as you get away from the center 

• Like 1