Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Night Thread - Washington vs NY Giants: Round Two. Ding! Ding! Mothaf**kahs!!!

TK
Message added by TK,

1296459415_ScreenShot2022-12-18at11_30_14PM.thumb.png.00b7b0a9cb4052495faf305dc4c24108.png

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Bro, you are going to bat for this ****ty officiating crew. Why?! Are you related to them? I can’t figure it out. 

yeah, we could have been better. But we aren’t better. The giants weren’t great either. The only difference between this game and the last game is that the refs made several horrible key calls against us. 

They got a ****ing sack fumble 6. 

we barely even touched Jones. That’s the difference. They made plays and we made zero 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

They got a ****ing sack fumble 6. 

we barely even touched Jones. That’s the difference. They made plays and we made zero 

We held them to 288 yards and 13 offensive points--and 97 came on 1 drive. Sacks or not that's going to win you 98% of games with a half way competitive offense that isn't being hamstrung by horrendous calls.

• Like 2

The NFL is at least a little rigged and always has been. It's impossible to come away from last year's Super Bowl with the Rams at Sofi and those calls they got late and not come away thinking it's a little rigged.

We still suck though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Folks can be mad all they want, for all we know Terry did ask and ref thought he was then realized he wasn't. What's he going to do, give him a hint to move to the right place?  

It's the WRs job to know where to lineup, folks thinking the refs lied to him just to throw a flag do you honestly believe that?

I'll have to watch a replay again if I get a chance (and care enough to, but from the replay I do remember, he was talking to the ref at the snap. He probably asked, moved, asked again and the ball was snapped and in his mind he the ref said he was fine but it was basically too late the second d time. But bottom line, I want my Pro Bowl WR to know where the line is without needing a ref to give him multiple pints of instruction to get him there. 

You know, I live in New England. I really hate Patriots coverage and hav forever. But if you saw their game today, the Raiders tied it on a long TD pass where the WR pretty clearly had a toe on the line, but was ruled inconclusive. 

Watching all the postgame talk, all the ex-players and talking heads basically bring it up and say "oh well, those are the breaks" and then move on and what they actually want to talk about is the QB not being good enough, the team committing too many penalties and mental mistakes, and how they could make the bonehead play that ended the game. Basically , no one has time to discuss a game-deciding call that probably went against them. They want to talk about the ways their team blow it.

Then you spend time not his board and people want to spend their whole night whining that a penalty was called a penalty and that the ref didn't spend all his pre-snap time (when, you know, he has some other responsibilities) walking the team captain through knowing exactly where he needs to be standing.

Sad what has happened to elements of this fanbase.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We held them to 288 yards and 13 offensive points--and 97 came on 1 drive. Sacks or not that's going to win you 98% of games with a half way competitive offense that isn't being hamstrung by horrendous calls.

Any type of defensive TD drastically changes win probability. It’s been studied 

We made zero big plays. That’s why long methodical drives only get you but so far in this league 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Folks can be mad all they want, for all we know Terry did ask and ref thought he was then realized he wasn't. What's he going to do, give him a hint to move to the right place?  

It's the WRs job to know where to lineup, folks thinking the refs lied to him just to throw a flag do you honestly believe that?

Don’t quote me but I’m pretty sure that’s literally the line judges job…..to tell the player if he is on the line or not. Every WR. Every game. Every time. That’s why they check with him. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'll have to watch a replay again if I get a chance (and care enough to, but from the replay I do remember, he was talking to the ref at the snap. He probably asked, moved, asked again and the ball was snapped and in his mind he the ref said he was fine but it was basically too late the second d time. But bottom line, I want my Pro Bowl WR to know where the line is without needing a ref to give him multiple pints of instruction to get him there. 

You know, I live in New England. I really hate Patriots coverage and hav forever. But if you saw their game today, the Raiders tied it on a long TD pass where the WR pretty clearly had a toe on the line, but was ruled inconclusive. 

Watching all the postgame talk, all the ex-players and talking heads basically bring it up and say "oh well, those are the breaks" and then move on and what they actually want to talk about is the QB not being good enough, the team committing too many penalties and mental mistakes, and how they could make the bonehead play that ended the game. Basically , no one has time to discuss a game-deciding call that probably went against them. They want to talk about the ways their team blow it.

Then you spend time not his board and people want to spend their whole night whining that a penalty was called a penalty and that the ref didn't spend all his pre-snap time (when, you know, he has some other responsibilities) walking the team captain through knowing exactly where he needs to be standing.

Sad what has happened to elements of this fanbase.  

The refs job on that play when the wr asks is supposed to tell them to move back or forward and not say you are okay and then throw a flag.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

The refs job on that play when the wr asks is supposed to tell them to move back or forward and not say you are okay and then throw a flag.

What I’ve been saying is, what if he didn’t say he was okay, and thought McLaurin was ignoring his instructions? A case of dumb miscommunication at an inopportune time. Who knows, I guess. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Depends....If you want a top 15 pick, go to Wentz.   Otherwise you gotta stick with TH.

I really don't care if it's Wentz or Heinicke. But that being said, what exactly is Wentz going to do so much worse than TH? Is he going to lead us to 11 points instead of 12?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Yeah, as bad as our offense is now, I don’t think people remember how frustratingly inept our offense was under Wentz. It felt hopeless. 

Yup. Tonight was the 1st time we scored less than 17 with TH. Could have had 18 but thanks to the refs for two major blown calls. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I really don't care if it's Wentz or Heinicke. But that being said, what exactly is Wentz going to do so much worse than TH? Is he going to lead us to 11 points instead of 12?

The defense will play worse without all that Moxie on the field 

58 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Bro, you are going to bat for this ****ty officiating crew. Why?! Are you related to them? I can’t figure it out. 

I'm not going to bat for the refs, I'm demanding personal fn responsibility.  I am so tied of trying to rationalize any other way we could be losing outside maybe we jus weren't good enough to win.

58 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

yeah, we could have been better. But we aren’t better. The giants weren’t great either. The only difference between this game and the last game is that the refs made several horrible key calls against us. 

Our passing offense was God awful even by our standards.  There were parts especially in the beginning of the game that our run game was completely dominant and the drive ended because we finally wanted to pass the ball.  The turnover to give the Giants the lead was on a passing play.

• Like 1

I never get to watch a full game, so I did to this one.  

Up front I will say that THs sack-strip-fumble and the fumble at the goal line were a 10 point swing.  

The refs blew a quite a bit.  Sometimes you get unlucky and they flub all the calls in one direction:

- First half drive killed by a early hit to the head that was DPI... uncalled.  Chris Collingsworth just acts like "ohhh, we got NFC east football going on!!" 

- Giant makes a tackle with helmet.  Tirico comments "he was no longer defensless".  Yes Mike, he is no longer defenseless, but that doesn't mean the defender can use their helmet against his head!  Defenseless means they are protected from helmet, shoulder, forearm and other blows to the head and neck area.  Whereas the "using helmet as a weapon" is not. 

- The Terry call it also appears he moved up enough.  Ridiculous as well he wanted to throw the flag.

Game came down to quarterback turnovers.  Daniel Jones nearly had one, and TH had 2 costly ones.  It sucks having so many good offensive weapons (from what I have seen) with QBs who can't take advantage of them and an OL that seems to have pass protection issues. 

There was another 1H play where Doctson was running free without safety help, but TH was sacked.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Don’t quote me but I’m pretty sure that’s literally the line judges job…..to tell the player if he is on the line or not. Every WR. Every game. Every time. That’s why they check with him. 

I don't believe that's true:

https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/the-officials/officials-responsibilities-positions/

SmartSelect_20221219_014915_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d89dfa6e6680cb2fe5d7cb536cb6f75e.jpg

Why have a penalty for something like lining up wrong in illegal formation if its the ref's job for making sure a player doesn't do it??

@Rufus T Firefly. I understand another layer of perspective on your takes of this team. 

You're in "do your fn job" Team's country...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't believe that's true:

https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/the-officials/officials-responsibilities-positions/

SmartSelect_20221219_014915_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d89dfa6e6680cb2fe5d7cb536cb6f75e.jpg

Why have a penalty for something like lining up wrong in illegal formation if its the ref's job for making sure a player doesn't do it??

@Rufus T Firefly. I understand another layer of perspective on your takes of this team. 

You're in "do your fn job" Team's country...

I am a linesman.  I officiate high school football. Our mechanics are to signal whether the widest guy on our side is on or off. We do this by pointing either toward the line of scrimmage or toward the backfield with our arms, 45 degrees out from our body. We also verbally communicate with the wide out, saying “I got you on” or “I got you off.”  The wideouts are trained to look out to the officials to check on their positioning.

NFL officials do not use the “on or off” mechanic, but their is clearly communication between them and the wideouts on every play.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Except for the first 2 games it was 8,10,17,12. 

As I said, I don't really care one way or the other if it's Heinicke or Wentz next week, or the rest of the season. I legit don't really have a dog in that race. I'm just not entirely sure what Heinicke brings the table nowadays that Wentz wouldn't be capable of.

Stuff people cited for TH: elusive, uses his legs, gets the ball to the open guy, gets the ball out fast etc...were mostly out the window tonight, and mostly have been for the last few weeks. He's probably still more elusive than Wentz, but the pressure is getting to him much more now it seems. He hardly ever uses his legs, though he did a couple of times today, which was surprising. He routinely missed open guys. He was holding the ball too long and often looked indecisive.

I'd assume that Wentz could hand the ball off a bunch and hit occasional short and intermediate passes as well. Though with him he might take more sacks, but defenses would also know that he can stretch the field in a major way, so they couldn't cheat up as much as they do against Heinicke.

That being said, I have a feeling that with either of them it's going to be a bloodbath vs SF next week. We've lost to multiple ****ty defenses, now we're up against the best in the league.