Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: The Jaguars vs. The Command

KDawg

So many available tackles with tons of starting experience and pedigree and we sign an undrafted free agent who wasn't even considered good enough to make the steelers practice squad. 

I'd be lying if I said I was surprised, this is definitely the Ron Rivera way but it is so uninspiring.

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Any word on Allen's groin after the MRI?

Don't worry if he misses any time I hear there's a guy currently bagging groceries at the piggly wiggly who we have our eyes on to replace him.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really need to figure out how to get the Radio Broadcast timed up with the TV.  I really like Bram.  I did it a couple times last year, but honestly, DHall REALLY bothered me.  He kept stepping on Bram's play-by-play. So I mostly just did the easy thing and listened to the TV Broadcast.  If the broadcast was better, I probably would have tried to get the radio thing to sync up harder.  

Same.

We were at the game, so we were spared, but I have to do something.

I cannot listen to Doc.

Nope!

Can't do it!

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

It's negative.  BMitch and Finlay today thought he got nailed in the junk by the way he was holding his "stuff".  I guess that's considered a groin injury.  LOL

Same dilemma as the BRob knee shooting... We'd need to know if the shot grazed the beans and franks. 

You know you're Da'man when your boss requests a scan of your Boyz!

Guess which one is Dan?

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Commander -JB- said:

Random:  

I want to see the white jersey with white pants but with the black helmet.  It would look slick because of the black trim on the jerseys!  

Carry on!

Not for nothing, we have some serious uniforms.  Those white jerseys, and helmets...🔥

9 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Same dilemma as the BRob knee shooting... We'd need to know if the shot grazed the beans and franks. 

You know you're Da'man when your boss requests a scan of your Boyz!

Guess which one is Dan?

giphy.gif

Pork and Beans...There's Something About Mary.  Football related Brett Favre was in the movie, lol.

Scott Turner proved he does have talent as an OC when he has the playmakers to utilize his playback. He still needs to trim the fat off the play book though, and he is still growing as a play caller. Similar to Rivera, he is not perfect, but he has won me over as long as he continues to show improvement. Many of our OCs have gone on to greatness recently after their growing pains here. I think Turner has more potential than I originally thought. I'll still pick apart his scheme weaknesses though (the periodically self defeating route combos he has in there).

Del Rio is a mad man. It seems like the imbalance our LB room created has him overcompensating. I wonder how his defense would look with a few competent LBs. 

Holcomb I am always hard on because he's a guy who will only get there by coaching. He wants it. He just doesn't have the physical tools or football awareness to be a starting MLB. Hopefully the coaches chew him out all week so he can correct some of the fixable errors. His lack of awareness is his biggest weakness. Would be great in a rotational role but we have him in the General role on defense.

Davis is growing but he isn't where we need him to be yet. He was covering WRs a lot this week and had decent coverage on many plays. That was weird. He also still hasn't figured out how to engage and shed blocks the best, but he is more decisive now and you see him trying out different techniques. That is a good sign to me he's more comfortable and trying to level his game up. He has more work to do though and doesn't have the mentor or top dog LB in the room that I think he needs. Right now Holcomb is mentoring him and Holcomb needs mentoring himself.

The Corners are scared of giving up big plays. It's annoying but I get it. I hope they aren't so conservative all year because our DL looked ready to feast.

Allen is a beast.

Payne is a beast.

Sweat still has some work to be what we think he can be, but he is a good enough athlete to still just run past his man or make a few unnoticed athletic plays a game. He was close on a few sacks- needs to finish more often.

Our safety group just got a new playmaker. Forrest seems to be taking the McClaurin route and working his way up from special teams player. It took him until year 2 but that was quite the introduction. We have to see more of it now.

Wentz is going to make this season memorable, for sure. The silver lining is that he didn't lose an ounce of confidence after his bad plays, and made two great throws to give our playmaking WRs chances.

Our WR room is top 5 in the league. That sounds crazy but we have 3 playmakers that compliment each other very well. Jahan is going to be a problem in this league. McClaurin is McClaurin. And we all forgot about Curtis Samuel. 

We will see how they handle Detroit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Scott Turner proved he does have talent as an OC when he has the playmakers to utilize his playback. He still needs to trim the fat off the play book though, and he is still growing as a play caller. Similar to Rivera, he is not perfect, but he has won me over as long as he continues to show improvement. Many of our OCs have gone on to greatness recently after their growing pains here. I think Turner has more potential than I originally thought. I'll still pick apart his scheme weaknesses though (the periodically self defeating route combos he has in there).

Del Rio is a mad man. It seems like the imbalance our LB room created has him overcompensating. I wonder how his defense would look with a few competent LBs. 

Holcomb I am always hard on because he's a guy who will only get there by coaching. He wants it. He just doesn't have the physical tools or football awareness to be a starting MLB. Hopefully the coaches chew him out all week so he can correct some of the fixable errors. His lack of awareness is his biggest weakness. Would be great in a rotational role but we have him in the General role on defense.

Davis is growing but he isn't where we need him to be yet. He was covering WRs a lot this week and had decent coverage on many plays. That was weird. He also still hasn't figured out how to engage and shed blocks the best, but he is more decisive now and you see him trying out different techniques. That is a good sign to me he's more comfortable and trying to level his game up. He has more work to do though and doesn't have the mentor or top dog LB in the room that I think he needs. Right now Holcomb is mentoring him and Holcomb needs mentoring himself.

The Corners are scared of giving up big plays. It's annoying but I get it. I hope they aren't so conservative all year because our DL looked ready to feast.

Allen is a beast.

Payne is a beast.

Sweat still has some work to be what we think he can be, but he is a good enough athlete to still just run past his man or make a few unnoticed athletic plays a game. He was close on a few sacks- needs to finish more often.

Our safety group just got a new playmaker. Forrest seems to be taking the McClaurin route and working his way up from special teams player. It took him until year 2 but that was quite the introduction. We have to see more of it now.

Wentz is going to make this season memorable, for sure. The silver lining is that he didn't lose an ounce of confidence after his bad plays, and made two great throws to give our playmaking WRs chances.

Our WR room is top 5 in the league. That sounds crazy but we have 3 playmakers that compliment each other very well. Jahan is going to be a problem in this league. McClaurin is McClaurin. And we all forgot about Curtis Samuel. 

We will see how they handle Detroit.

Detroit is interesting. Okudah will likely be matching up against Terry. Okudah was on DeVonta most of the game this past weekend and held him to 0 catches on 4 targets. He might be starting to get it. The other corner Harris was getting smoked by AJ Brown, however. 

Detroit is going to bring a good pass rush but their back 7 isn’t particularly great

9 hours ago, redskinss said:

So many available tackles with tons of starting experience and pedigree and we sign an undrafted free agent who wasn't even considered good enough to make the steelers practice squad. 

I'd be lying if I said I was surprised, this is definitely the Ron Rivera way but it is so uninspiring.

Don't worry if he misses any time I hear there's a guy currently bagging groceries at the piggly wiggly who we have our eyes on to replace him.

I like Ron's track record and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt . 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I like Ron's track record and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt . 

I've always had a tendency to feel the same way, and I still like Rivera and a lot of the decisions he's made but more and more lately I'm leaning towards the crowd that thinks he has left the middle of our defense dangerously thin.

The lack of starter quality linebackers now combined with a complete lack of depth at the tackle position has our defense one injury away from being completely worthless up the middle. 

8 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Im excited to see what we have in both Turner and Rogers, if one of them shines that's  a nice group of receivers. Then also pair in the catching ability of Gibson and McKissic. Could be real fun.

I get killed when I say this point by some.  But some beat guys have said they get the impression that after trading for Wentz, Ron was told that's basically it, aside from signing Terry, as far as spending.

Granted there is no way to know for sure.   But what coach actually prefers to just get players on the cheap versus marquee names?  They supposedly wanted Landon Collins back but only if super cheap.  On and On

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, method man said:

Detroit is interesting. Okudah will likely be matching up against Terry. Okudah was on DeVonta most of the game this past weekend and held him to 0 catches on 4 targets. He might be starting to get it. The other corner Harris was getting smoked by AJ Brown, however. 

Detroit is going to bring a good pass rush but their back 7 isn’t particularly great

I didn’t see any of the Lions/Eagles game.  Did Okudah travel with Smith?  Or did the Eagles not move their receivers around?

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Going back and watching parts (in season and have a job so I don’t have time to rewatch entire games) I have to say a few things stood out:

Bates as a blocker.

Wentz arm and overall accuracy. He did miss on a few and the first pick is still really bad but man did he put the ball in perfect spots more than a few times. The corner route from Gibson out of the backfield, the TD to 17, the second TD to 1.

Our receivers are shifty and exciting. 

Samuel and Gibson are being used similarly. Like, the same role just one more ball carrier heavy and one more receiver heavy but otherwise same role. And that’s perfect.

I still think we were conservative in the mid game offensively. But overall this offense is well designed and explosive. I think our guys ran the routes incorrectly a few times but I can’t know that especially without deep diving on it. I think Turner is doing well and has gotten a bad rep for poor personnel.

Del Rio I was okay with other than Davis on Kirk. Have to have a fail safe there. But our D just doesn’t have a high end game breaker on it. Young could be that but he has to take a really, really big step when he gets healthy.

Forrest can 100% play free safety or strong or hybrid. So can Curl. That versatility is beautiful. If they still like McCain, fine. Use Curl or Forrest as BN/Hybrid, the other as the SS. Slot corner should continue to be BSJ. 

Interior DL is dangerous.

Sweat I maintain was good. But not what we need him to be/what he has hyped himself as. If he demands a huge contract he may be the odd man out, I’d pay Payne well before that. But if he gets paid based on his production + a little for skill set he’s a great guy to have around for a long time. 

Corners are touchy. Not as down as others on them but they can struggle at times. They seem too jumpy on small hip movements from receivers. Not sure if that’s a scouting report thing or just they’re nervous. 

• Like 4