Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: The Jaguars vs. The Command

KDawg

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Was very impressed with Dotson's body control on that last touchdown. 

The ball was thrown perfectly but the coverage was there so he slowed up just a hair, made marginal contact, without extending his arms and then reached out and made the catch. 

That's the type of body control that savvy veteran receivers have and it was very nice to see from a rookie in his first start.

He's definitely going to be a stud!

I was equally and maybe more impressed on his first TD.  His break was sick and was wide open but had to wait for Wentz to throw it so when the DB was closing in, Dotson caught the ball with 2 hands (not body) and immediately while still in the air transitioned the ball to his right hand away from the defender.  If he kept the ball in front of him the DB could have tried (and maybe successfully) batted it out of his hands.  Dotson's moving of the ball to his side away from the DB prevented that possibility of a breakup from happening and kept our 6pts.  Amazing transition control of the ball in mid-air.  Anyone else notice that as I watched it several times again during the commercial?  

The kid is just impressive and his personality with Finlay's interview on the field post game just warms me ****les.  🤣

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Gonna have to bring in new interior D-line dudes. That's a given

Given how Logan looked Turner has a shot to get some real burn when he returns. I don't see him getting a lot of Bates reps.

Kinda weird that Amari just ceased to exist after the start of the game. I don't know how many reps he got but it didn't feel like a ton.

I haven’t reviewed the snap counts, but it seemed like they had 3WR and 1TE for the majority of the game.

Everybody, check out Bates on the second Dotson TD.  He goes in motion right to left and picks up Walker 1 on 1.  Blocks him up giving Carson enough time to have a clean release.  Outstanding play execution and design.  They started with Bates as part of a trip to the right, safety is going to shade in that direction.

• Like 5

Mini shoutout to Milne - he was solid returning punts/kicks.

Two passes I really dug that I haven’t seen discussed much - the deep out to Gibson and the pass to Gibson running up the left sideline.  

Random, but there were a couple or few throws that I thought were heading toward the dirt based on the trajectory they left Wentz’s hand.  Then I realized it’s because of his height and the velocity he put on the passes.  Gonna take some getting used to, lol.

• Like 2

Random observations:

- I don't think it can be overstated what having a player with Wentz's skillset does for any offense.  It makes the defense defend every blade of grass from the LOS to the sideline and to the endzone on every play.  You have a lapse, the ball can be going over your head for a long gain.  The offense has more available to it than it has had at any point under Scott Turner. ** Haskins (RIP) had the physical tools, but not the understanding of the offense to actually make the plays.

- Another note on Wentz:  I loved the fact in the team post-game huddle he said, "that's on me" when talking about throwing 2 consecutive INTs.  Also, it seemed the team responded to him really well when Ron gave him the game ball.  So far (and we'll see how it goes) but the leadership stuff doesn't seem to be a thing at the moment. Seems like the team is rally around him, and the Thom Lovero idea that the team is going to hate Wentz and be begging for Taylor Heinicke doesn't seem to be in play.  At least not yet.  

- We'll see how it plays out, but Reich could end up looking really dumb by the end of the year if Wentz throws a bunch of TDs and we have a high-flying type of offense, and the Colts sputter.  I said in my re-watch, I think they completely mis-used Wentz, and what he was good at, by running the entire offense through the running game.  Granted, they had a great running game.  But never forget what Jaws said back in like 1995: Points come out of the passing game.  It was true then, it's even more true now.

- Curtis Samuel adds a dimension to the offense which is somewhat unique.  It's kindof like Deebo in SF, but they are different players.  He's a matchup problem for everybody when healthy.  He juked a guy completely out of his shoes on a cut, it was as beautiful as the Mona Lisa.  

- If this is the beginning, and they expand on the offense, by the time it is complete, it could be ELECTRIC. 

- This offense reminded me a lot more of the Mike Martz "Greatest Show on Turf" 1999 offense than a typical Norv Turner offense, both of which are based in the Air Coryell style.  When I think of those Ram's offenses, 3 things come to mind:

1. From a play-design/skill position perspective, the entire offense ran through Faulk. He made the whole thing go, because he was a matchup problem in the pass game, could get down-field, and run the ball.  Gibson is NOT Marshall Faulk.  But he can do everything Faulk did, just not as well.  It's the role I was SCREAMING for him to be in for 2 years. He led the team in rushing and receiving.  

2. They hit you with waves of deep threats: Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt (rookie), Ricky Proehl, Az-Zahir Akim.  You concentrated on one, another was going to beat you. Our WRs are not as good as those, but the combination of McLaurin, Dotson (who's a rookie like Holt) and Samuel are a good approximation.  We don't have the 4th guy they did though.  Cam Sims, Dax Milne, DBrown.  None of them are at the level of Proehl or Akim (who was F-A-S-T.)

3.  They ran a ton of crossers.  The entire Rams offense was based on keeping weapons moving through the defense, and then having a guy pop-out behind them somehow.  It was masterfully coordinated.  Saw a lot of the same yesterday from Scott Turner.  A lot of motion, a lot of receivers running across the field, and then some vertical routes off of it.  

- I don't know if they can or not, but I would put a phone call in to Erek Flowers and see if he wants to come back in some capacity, because if Wes is out for any period of time, it's going to be really tough on the interior of the OL.  Charles had to play yesterday, and I'm coming to the conclusion that's a bad thing.  

- Defensively, losing Mathis for an extended period of time (probably the year) is going to hurt.  They probably need to get a few more bodies in there for depth at the very least, but they drafted him for a particular reason, and now they don't have that guy, and that's going to put a real big hole in the plan.

- JDR needs to be hung upside down and sprayed with a squirt gun for allowing Davis to get ISOed on Kirk.  I'll give you just about any LB in NFL history, you ISO them on Kirk, they're at a disadvantage, and would beat 99.99% of them like a drum 99.99% of the time.  There were things Davis didn't do well.  The fact the Jags were able to get him on their best WR in 1:1 coverage is a DC mistake.  (And Ron said as much in his post-game presser.)

- Forrest was REALLY good.  

- A sneaky "big play" in the game was the absolutely horrendous illegal contact penalty on Fuller.  It wasn't illegal contact.  It should have been OPI.  Fuller was literally not moving and the WR ran into him.  In basketball lingo, it was a charge.  It erased a sack from Davis, and on the next play, Fuller got the PI penalty (which was the right call, but a little unlucky.  Bad throw and they just got kindof tangled up.)  

- When Curl comes back, the safety group is going to look really good.  

- I don't think it's going to happen until November, but when Young comes back, if he's ready to go, then that will be a really nice addition to the DL at the mid-point of the season.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

A few NSFW words but they are relatable lol...

Hide contents

And.......this is why I go to games.    I understand all of the "I'll watch in my home theater on my 100" Kazillion mega-pixel screen that you can see from the moon, where the beer is cold and no lines in the bathroom crowd etc" but nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to the excitement of being at the game

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rewatching the game and I didn't realize that it wasn't just Wes that went out. Norwell did as well and Charles came in.

That would explain why our O sputtered a bit. Losing both starting guards at the same time.

Chris Russell this morning also said there were a lot of guys getting IV fluids too.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

- Curtis Samuel adds a dimension to the offense which is somewhat unique.  It's kindof like Deebo in SF, but they are different players.  He's a matchup problem for everybody when healthy.  He juked a guy completely out of his shoes on a cut, it was as beautiful as the Mona Lisa.  

Watched on t.v. while listening to the broadcast on the radio. London Fletcher had a ball with that play, told the DB to go pick up his jock, London was down right giddy / playing with himself on that call, lol. Fletch was really good on the broadcast, especially after listening to Doc on the t.v. pre season broadcasts.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

And.......this is why I go to games.    I understand all of the "I'll watch in my home theater on my 100" Kazillion mega-pixel screen that you can see from the moon, where the beer is cold and no lines in the bathroom crowd etc" but nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to the excitement of being at the game

She was kindof cute, too. :P 

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Chris Russell this morning also said there were a lot of guys getting IV fluids too.

I don't know who else, but they said on the TV Broadcast Gibby did get an IV.

I'm not sure who "a lot" is or even how many "a lot" might be.  I'd want some names and times.  Chris is known for taking a small fact and extrapolating on it, and then talking about it, with HUGE LONG pregnant pauses at the most bizarre times.  

(I'm not a fan. If you can't tell.)

Oh, and Doc was a completely, total, and unmitigated disaster.  I think it was Julie who decided to put him on, and she was probably pushed that way by Bram and a few others who love Doc and worked with him at 980.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not making excuses for Wentz, but I think the 2nd INT was just a spectacular play by a top rookie draft pick.  It wasn't like Wentz threw it right into the guy, the defender reached back, arms extended to make the INT.  That is very rare to see something like that.  I think part of what set that up is the Commanders just throwing a lot of short passes in the second half and it allowed the Jags D to be super aggressive crowding the line and having defenders all around there on every play.  Now that first INT was just awful and something a veteran should not be doing (staring down a receiver the entire time).

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Watched on t.v. while listening to the broadcast on the radio. London Fletcher had a ball with that play, told the DB to go pick up his jock, London was down right giddy / playing with himself on that call, lol. Fletch was really good on the broadcast, especially after listening to Doc on the t.v. pre season broadcasts.

I really need to figure out how to get the Radio Broadcast timed up with the TV.  I really like Bram.  I did it a couple times last year, but honestly, DHall REALLY bothered me.  He kept stepping on Bram's play-by-play. So I mostly just did the easy thing and listened to the TV Broadcast.  If the broadcast was better, I probably would have tried to get the radio thing to sync up harder.  

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I'm not making excuses for Wentz, but I think the 2nd INT was just a spectacular play by a top rookie draft pick.  It wasn't like Wentz threw it right into the guy, the defender reached back, arms extended to make the INT.  That is very rare to see something like that.  I think part of what set that up is the Commanders just throwing a lot of short passes in the second half and it allowed the Jags D to be super aggressive crowding the line and having defenders all around there on every play.  Now that first INT was just awful and something a veteran should not be doing (staring down a receiver the entire time).

The first one was entirely on Wentz.  He was late to the throw, stared it down, did an extra hitch, and his mechanics were off.  I saw it real time (and if I can see it, it's massively obvious, because I'm no coach).  Then Ron said it in the presser.  So, I'm going to take that as fact.  Ron even said, "yeah, he knows it." 

The second one, it's really tough, it's a screen play, the guy actually came from the back-side to intercept the ball.  Maybe he can see him, maybe he can't.  There might have been a player in the way obscuring his view.  Dunno.  I chalk that one more up to bad luck/good play.  Though he did say he needed to eat it.  But that might have been a QB taking responsibility for everything bad, which we also want him to do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really need to figure out how to get the Radio Broadcast timed up with the TV.  I really like Bram.  I did it a couple times last year, but honestly, DHall REALLY bothered me.  He kept stepping on Bram's play-by-play. So I mostly just did the easy thing and listened to the TV Broadcast.  If the broadcast was better, I probably would have tried to get the radio thing to sync up harder.  

I pause the t.v. to allow the radio broadcast to catch up. Id be screwed if the radio was ahead of the t.v. though! There was a bout a 20 second delay yesterday between the two, I dont remember it being that long last year. I gotta stay away from the game day thread so It doesnt ruin it for me. Catch up on the thread during commercials. Bit of a pain but I like the radio broadcast over the bottom of the barrel announcers we usually end up with on t.v.

Just now, Chris 44 said:

I pause the t.v. to allow the radio broadcast to catch up. Id be screwed if the radio was ahead of the t.v. though! There was a bout a 20 second delay yesterday between the two, I dont remember it being that long last year. I gotta stay away from the game day thread so It doesnt ruin it for me. Catch up on the thread during commercials. Bit of a pain but I like the radio broadcast over the bottom of the barrel announcers we usually end up with on t.v.

I have to do it all through streaming, and the other problem is my wife and 2 kids don't give me peace and quiet, so I end up pausing the game from time to time to deal with something, and then I have to re-sync it.  It's a pain.  Which is why I don't do it.  

Also, I might enjoy the game-day thread as much as any part of my "at home" game day experience.  I enjoy the epic meltdowns.  They amuse me.  Even if I'm the one having one....

• Haha 3