Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: The Jaguars vs. The Command

KDawg

Thought the game flipped after Samuel's fumble late in the first half. We seemed to be in control of the game leading 14-3 and were on the move for more when he fumbled it away. If we get points on that possession, we go up 17-3 or possibly 21-3 and are getting the second half kickoff. Luckily, Jacksonville didn't capitalize and missed a FG right before half, but I still feel like that fumble threw cold water on us, because we were hot up to that point. 

That lull in play then lasted until the McClaurin TD, which then led to a huge defensive stop to get off the field and ultimately the winning TD on Dotson's great catch in the end zone. Loved the ice water in his veins mentality Wentz showed coming back from back to back horrific picks to lead consecutive TD drives, while making two great throws on the two TD passes. 

We were fortunate that Jacksonville missed several scoring opportunities, otherwise we might be having a different convo this morning. They missed an easy FG, Etienne dropped a 4th down swing pass that would've been a walk in TD and Lawrence overthrew a wide open receiver in the endzone who beat Davis badly early in the game. At the same time, we too missed some opportunities that may have led to scores on Samuel's fumble and several Wentz overthrow's to wide open receivers that would've went for big chunks.

Nice win to start the season! There's a lot of room for improvement and if we do that we have a chance to be a pretty good team this season. 

• Like 4

If we could get this def playing to potential, this could be a very fun year to be a fan.  

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its mind boggling to me that Turner is still being criticized so heavily. The offense put up 28 points despite three turnovers. We were 4/4 in the red zone. The ball was spread to multiple targets. The offense dropped off some when Schweitzer went out and our OL couldn't hold up in pass protection anymore. That ain't on him.

Turner has forgotten more football then most fans know.  Every OC needs a QB that can make NFL caliber throws, we and he has that know.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised by the screen call.  I think most OC see the momentum changing and take advantage of the defense being hyped and rushing up field hard.  That one is on Wentz.  That ball should be thrown to the ground.  Next play.  Overall I think we have seen what this offense can do, and will get better every week.

6 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I completely disagree with you on St Juste. Watch the highlights that was posted on YouTube and you will see St Juste was lost at times and more concerning was lackadaisical on some. Watch the 2nd play in this highlight reel when Robinson breaks off a long yard. You actually see St Juste running away from the play. 

Watch at 3:30, he actually played soft at coming off a simple block and let Etinenne run right past him. 

On the drop by Etinenne at the goal line, I believe he was St Justes responsibility but he got lost in the backfield trying to cover a receiver. These are some of his mistakes in just the first half. I’m sure he had many more in the 2nd half but I didn’t look at it closely. 

https://youtu.be/aosepuuGeIg

Game 1. I was speaking on his range, ability and fit. I agree there were times he looked lost mentally. Has to come together for him.

Minus the fumble, we saw what a healthy Curtis Samuel can do for this offense.  Very explosive and opens things for other guys (see Dotson)  Defensive was ok, but the scheme was CRAP.  Putting Davis on Kirk(seriously??!!) made no sense.  Forrest definitely showed that he can make plays.

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Don't know but failure to put away the other team is pretty common in the NFL. This week, less than half the teams were out of it when the fourth quarter started.

Yeah, they just always seem to ease up, go conservative if they get up two scores

I still maintain they didn't let up on the gas that much.  Yeah, we were conservative on one drive, but one of the drives we had went like this(as far as I remember.) Mid range pass falls incomplete.  Run up the middle gets a first down. I'm afraid I don't remember the next play.  Pass behind the line sniffed out for a two yard loss  Pass attempt stopped by  a sack.  So one of our supposedly conservative drives still featured three passes.  And if one of them was behind the line, Samuel and Gibson had done a good job with them throughout most of the game

• Thumb up 1

Getting picked on a screen is bad luck.  It happens rarely, and ideally you just eat it and take the sack when you see opposing team color flash in your lane, but that is a right place right time situation for the defender given how fast it happens and not really a product of terrible decision making by the QB.  I give Carson credit for saving the TD after the pick and putting a big hit on Travon Walker and making him fumble.  Carson has some competitive fire and he's a big and athletic dude.

My takeaway from the game is the defense and offensive line still need some work to come together, but that was a sensational performance from our skill players on offense.  Carson was ridiculously explosive and effective throwing the ball downfield, and our WR trio looks like one of the fastest and most sure handed groups in the league.  Good TE play, and very complimentary and effective running/short passing work from the backs.  Gibby was a revelation in the passing game, he is a different player and level of threat when he gets the ball in space.  That was the dynamic weapon we saw at Memphis.

Daron Payne is going to make us pay for betting against him.  I think it was a significant mistake to not get him signed over the summer, and it feels reminiscent of the Scherff situation heading into the final year of his rookie contract.  The number of snaps per game he plays are going to be very hard to replace with any kind of quality when he walks, and the defense is going to take a big step back after it happens.  He's our second best and most consistent player on that side of the ball and should have been valued as such.

I didn't see Jamin's sack that got wiped out by a penalty, does anyone have a replay of it?  I want to see what his rush looked like.

Cosmi got worked by Travon Walker's ball get off on that sack he gave up. Cosmi is a top percentile athlete at the position, it shows you why Travon Walker went #1 overall.  Thought that was a terrible reach at the time it happened, but damned if that kid doesn't already look special.

This team is pretty good.  The first game was a little bumpy, but that's how it was for almost everyone except the Chiefs and Bills.  Week One.  We're going to get better and we're going to get some important players back in October and November.  We've got a good QB, a good back up, and a really nice prospect in the pipeline.  Our QB room hasn't been this strong in a long time, and this is the most talent we've had on offense in decades.  Can't wait until Brian Robinson gets back and enters the mix.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I just wish Bates caught that 3rd and 2. It basically hit him right in the hands. I'm high on him but drops like that mean he'll see pine when Turner returns. Thomas doesn't quite have all his explosiveness back but he did make a couple big catches to keep drives going. The WR trio will be a top 5 unit by season's end. 

I loved that we finally used Gibson the way I've said we should use him from day one: as a RB/WR hybrid. His hand offs were also mostly in space where he's a lot better(until the very end when we were just in kill clock mode). 

11 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Daron Payne is going to make us pay for betting against him.  I think it was a significant mistake to not get him signed over the summer, and it feels reminiscent of the Scherff situation heading into the final year of his rookie contract.  The number of snaps per game he plays are going to be very hard to replace with any kind of quality when he walks, and the defense is going to take a big step back after it happens.  He's our second best and most consistent player on that side of the ball and should have been valued as such.

Agree 100% and have said this for a while. Payne is very underappreciated. I don't buy the "we can't pay all our DL" schtick either. We don't have enough good players that we can just let guys walk just because they happen to play the same position as someone else we paid. I mean we paid Samuel, drafted Dotson, and still gave McLaurin a big deal. Its bad business to just let good players walk.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

We're criticizing the pass rush and it feels like to us they needed to blitz to get any pressure. Which makes it sound like the Jags OL was good. But just checked on some Jags fans and they unanimously think their OL got worked over.

Maybe our DL (minus run D) played better than we thought.

DL had a very good game. Even Toohill and Wise played great.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Eh, I dont know.  He simply hadn't played to that level before now.  Solid, above average player, and he'll be a good player somewhere else most likely.  But yesterday felt like standard contract year stuff.  If he looked like that more, maybe he's not in a contract year to begin with.

I think they really like Mathis and think he will give those quality snaps.  And before he got injured, he was rotating in there quite a bit.  I think the whole point of drafting him was to give an approximation of Payne for pennies on the dollar.  

Was very impressed with Dotson's body control on that last touchdown. 

The ball was thrown perfectly but the coverage was there so he slowed up just a hair, made marginal contact, without extending his arms and then reached out and made the catch. 

That's the type of body control that savvy veteran receivers have and it was very nice to see from a rookie in his first start.

He's definitely going to be a stud!

• Like 6

All of the people who point to this play or that play to say the Jags could have or even should have won if only..., remind me of a quote attributed to Lombardi,

"This game is going to come down to just a couple of plays.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you which ones.  So we will have to go play them all."

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1