Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Finlay: Brian Robinson Shot Multiple Times—Stable Condition

Conn

24 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Patently incorrect.  Fight, flight, fawn (submit and try to get on the good side), and freeze.

Source: Despite how I am on here, I'm a decent therapist.

I’ve finally come across someone well-versed in the human stress response. 😊 Never had anyone identify the fourth response… which you cite as ‘fawn’ - that’s clever to keep the F acronym - where I’ve referred to it as Mend (fix) & Attend (brown nose). The human organism is designed to create, store and use (conservatively) energy. Fighting is potentially a huge source of energy consumption (as well as potentially lethal). Which is why most people avoid controversy and only defend themselves when backed into a corner. 

That, and plus numbing (flight) can be fun. 🤣

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Problem is now a days complying doesnt really guarantee you anything. Some of these criminals are straight up evil and will just shoot you for the "fun" of it. 

Your odds are much better if you comply.

The only exception is if they want to abduct you - in that case I would fight or flee if practical.

Robinson is the victim here.   I can understand his reaction given his age and what he does for a living.  Yes, handing over the keys was the smarter play.   However can you imagine what the talk in the locker room would have been - "You let some punk ass your steal your ride, you a **** or something".  Its a very stupid point of view, but so many young males have that machismo and its very hard frame of mind to break.  Best you can do is rein it in.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If he got shot yesterday and they didn't do surgury until today and he's already going home and it's not even noon, it wasn't that bad.

That's pretty exciting.

Not sure how your logic adds up to "wasn't that bad" except compared to death, and don't get too excited...

First of all, just because this guy was listed as being in 'stable condition" following a shooting, doesn't mean anything other than as it relates to mortality. He could be listed as being in stable condition following an amputation...so, 'stable' means he's not in danger of dying.

Second, having surgery, post GSW to the glute (hip) and 'lower extremity' is completely normal as you have burnt and cauterized flesh that came in contact with a blistering projectile. You've got to completely inspect, clean, disinfect, and close the wounds along the entire path of the foreign body. Bullets tend to pull debris from the environment and clothing through and into the body. Trauma surgery follows the rule of the Golden Hour and life threatening intervention and recovery rates are directly correlated.

Summary reports have shown him to have been lucky not to die, having suffered two GSWs, undergoing post trauma surgical interventions, and being released. He has new holes in his leg and his ass! For an athlete, that runs for a living, is catastrophic. It will take +10 days to feel out the infection and foreign body issues from the initial trauma. It will take 6-8 weeks to fully scar the internal path of the bullets. These wounds have to heal from the inside out! You can't just slap a bandage over it and wait for a scab. You have to clean, irrigate, medicate with internal drains placed so the path of the bullets heal from inside. Could pull drains out in 7-10 days if there's no infection. The infection risk is extremely high.

If I had to guess, he goes on NFI injured reserve and doesn't play for 8-12 weeks, if he plays at all this year.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Not sure how your logic adds up to "wasn't that bad" except compared to death, and don't get too excited...

First of all, just because this guy was listed as being in 'stable condition" following a shooting, doesn't mean anything other than as it relates to mortality. He could be listed as being in stable condition following an amputation...so, 'stable' means he's not in danger of dying.

Second, having surgery, post GSW to the glute (hip) and 'lower extremity' is completely normal as you have burnt and cauterized flesh that came in contact with a blistering projectile. You've got to completely inspect, clean, disinfect, and close the wounds along the entire path of the foreign body. Bullets tend to pull debris from the environment and clothing through and into the body. Trauma surgery follows the rule of the Golden Hour and life threatening intervention and recovery rates are directly correlated.

Summary reports have shown him to have been lucky not to die, having suffered two GSWs, undergoing post trauma surgical interventions, and being released. He has new holes in his leg and his ass! For an athlete, that runs for a living, is catastrophic. It will take +10 days to feel out the infection and foreign body issues from the initial trauma. It will take 6-8 weeks to fully scar the internal path of the bullets. These wounds have to heal from the inside out! You can't just slap a bandage over it and wait for a scab. You have to clean, irrigate, medicate with internal drains placed so the path of the bullets heal from inside. Could pull drains out in 7-10 days if there's no infection. The infection risk is extremely high.

If I had to guess, he goes on NFI injured reserve and doesn't play for 8-12 weeks, if he plays at all this year.

I think this dude knows his **** 😲

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

If I had to guess, he goes on NFI injured reserve and doesn't play for 8-12 weeks, if he plays at all this year

Woof... Can I go back to hoping he just got grazed?

That's just bullet through meat. We don't even know if it hit bone.

We... should probably be looking at some stopgap RBs to backfill with.

14 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

A very good description of the path forward - thanks.

Two guys I worked with, got shot in the legs (twice each) over a parking space.  One of the guys was shot in the knee, had real trouble with infection and never walked the same.  The other guy was shot in the calves and used to pull back the bandage to show us the holes.  He would flex his leg muscles and you could see in the holes to watch the muscles/tendons move.  This was back in the 70's and I remember that like it was today.

:229:The Rook

3 minutes ago, The Rook said:

A very good description of the path forward - thanks.

Two guys I worked with, got shot in the legs (twice each) over a parking space.  One of the guys was shot in the knee, had real trouble with infection and never walked the same.  The other guy was shot in the calves and used to pull back the bandage to show us the holes.  He would flex his leg muscles and you could see in the holes to watch the muscles/tendons move.  This was back in the 70's and I remember that like it was today.

:229:The Rook

We can almost rule out a superficial wound because of the surgical intervention. Since there's two wounds, maybe one is superficial...??

Certainly one had an internal path. To what degree we might not know for awhile.

I did my fill of battlefield patch work in some shady places with skeleton crews. Rehab is an art.

19 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Woof... Can I go back to hoping he just got grazed?

Maybe on one of them. Not likely on both because he had surgery. At a minimum there's one internal path of concern.

• Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When I got jacked, it was 3am and I was pretty drunk. As I reached to turn the key I saw him a split second in the rear view, before I could turn the key and drive. Then I got punched with the gun and got out of the car and his buddy came up behind me and grabbed everything out of my pockets.

Earlier in the night they tried to jack a buddy of mine, but didn't get the drop and he punched the kid a few times before he ran off.

Cops asked me if I wanted them to go arrest the kids we were pretty sure they were. Hung around the bars every night, lived in the projects next door. I said nope.

Two weeks later, I bartending across the island at the late night joint. Doors locked, everyones in until daylight, this dude know as Money sits at the end of the bar and says "thanks for not getting my nephews arrested or this would have gone much different" and gave me my wallet back. That guys been in jail for years for murder. Again.

Island lifes wild. Never got the car back. It belonged to a friend that just moved to island.

You were pretty drunk and "they took the car before you could turn the key and drive?

They might've done you a favor😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You were pretty drunk and "they took the car before you could turn the key and drive?

They might've done you a favor😉

Island life. It was 3am and I was closing the bar I was working at and only going 2 blocks.

And shredder, I was just being optimistic. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When I got jacked, it was 3am and I was pretty drunk. As I reached to turn the key I saw him a split second in the rear view, before I could turn the key and drive. Then I got punched with the gun and got out of the car and his buddy came up behind me and grabbed everything out of my pockets.

Earlier in the night they tried to jack a buddy of mine, but didn't get the drop and he punched the kid a few times before he ran off.

Cops asked me if I wanted them to go arrest the kids we were pretty sure they were. Hung around the bars every night, lived in the projects next door. I said nope.

Two weeks later, I bartending across the island at the late night joint. Doors locked, everyones in until daylight, this dude know as Money sits at the end of the bar and says "thanks for not getting my nephews arrested or this would have gone much different" and gave me my wallet back. That guys been in jail for years for murder. Again.

Island lifes wild. Never got the car back. It belonged to a friend that just moved to island.

So wait, these piece of trash scumbags choose to assault you, rob you, and steal your vehicle. However the Uncle has the unfathomable AUDACITY to basically say to you ( the innocent victim ) that you are lucky you didn't turn his nephews in??? So you're supposed to say oh well, no biggie. I'll just turn a blind eye to this atrocity. We won't force these criminals to be held accountable whatsoever. Let's just let them off the hook completely. The Uncle and nephews all three absolutely disgust me.

• Like 3

First and foremost, while we all hope B Rob can recover fully and be the back we saw in camp and pre-season again, it's much more important that he pulls through this mess wtihout complications, heals completely and gets back to being the man and person his family and friends have already known for years. We all hope that he will be able to resume his same career track eventually but there will be time for that later. Right now, nothing but prayers and best wishes go out from me to him, his family and teammmates and job one for him now is to take care of himself at the moment and get better.

The Commanders have a pretty good certain ex-Commander who goes by the name of one Alex Smith who I am sure is just a phone call or a visit away if B Rob would like some personal inspiration and coaching on just how you go about turning shi**y situations back into victories. Hopefully B Rob's injuries are no where near as severe as Alex's was but it certainly can't hurt to have someone of Alex's skill, stature and experience showing him how to kick ass when it comes to recoverying from serious inujuries. For that matter, B Rob strikes me as the kind of guy who may not even need any inspiration from Alex about how to do that.

One last point....which is about car jackings. They have increased dramatically over the past few years since auto makers have been substantially improving anti-theft devices and as a resort, more thief's have had to resort to car jackings instead. Quite often, these Einsteins attempt to jack a car only to discover that they are too stupid to be able to drive it (because they can't drive stick shifts). Here is an example of one particular rocket scientist figuring this all out. 

I don't know if that was the case in Brian's incident however. I think the circumstances might have been different in his case.

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

If they have their ages, then it seems to me that they know exactly who it was. How else would they know how old they are? They're minors, they aren't going to announce their names. 

That was my point. Hence the reason why they would be closing in on an arrest.

For me, never resist.  Its not worth it.  This NFL culture, if that is what your teammates say to you if you do not fight back, then there are bigger problems.  I used to work at a bank.  First day, first lesson, never resist a robbery attempt.  Simply give him what he/she wants and let them leave the building then you notify management and the branch closes, etc.  We do not have the buttons that dial 911 anymore, at least here in Canada.  It makes perfect sense, you do not want to irritate a potentially armed individual, for a max of 3k.  That is the most you can keep in your till.

I think the same can be said for life in general. 

In life, I would rather be wrong and alive, then right and you know what.  JMHO   

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Commanders haven't ruled out running back Brian Robinson's return this season after the rookie was shot twice in his lower body Sunday.

Robinson remained hospitalized Monday, but there's a chance he'll be discharged in the afternoon. Robinson posted a story on his Instagram page saying the surgery went well.

Defensive tackle Jonathan Allen said he has heard Robinson might be discharged Monday. A team official told ESPN that a Monday discharge is possible.

Washington coach Ron Rivera said the team will determine whether to place Robinson on the non-football injury list after talking to doctors later Monday. Robinson would miss at least four games if the team makes that move.

• 1dJohn Keim

Rivera was among a contingent of team officials, including co-owners Dan and Tanya Snyder, as well as a few players, who visited Robinson on Sunday night. Robinson's aunt and uncle, an Air Force colonel stationed in the area, also were at the hospital.

"The doctors were very positive with him and he was very positive as well," Rivera said. "He's very fortunate. He's doing well. It will be a matter of time before he's back out here. There's no timeline, but everything was very positive.

"It's just about the healing process, and once he's well enough to get on the field, doctors have to clear him and we'll go from there. Everything is positive so far."

Robinson was shot in an armed robbery attempt. Robinson had gone into the District of Columbia to get something to eat. The incident happened shortly before 6 p.m. ET in the 1000 block of H Street Northeast.

When police arrived on the scene, they located Robinson, who was suffering from "a couple gunshot wounds to his lower extremities," according to Dustin Sternbeck, director of communications for the Metro Police Department in Washington. Robinson was treated by paramedics at the scene and transported immediately to a local hospital. One bullet hit his glute and another struck him in a lower leg.

Sternbeck said police have identified two potential suspects and recovered a firearm a short distance from where the shooting occurred.

According to the police report, the incident was described as aggravated assault.

According to the report, Robinson wrestled away a handgun from one assailant but was shot by the other, who also was using a handgun; both suspects are believed to be teenagers, but the investigation is ongoing.

Rivera met with players before they went outside for practice early Monday morning.

"I just let them know it's a somber day and we expected it to be a tough day so just hang in there," Rivera said. "They rallied and practiced pretty doggone good. They were able to focus. I know their hearts are heavy right now because a lot of them are thinking about Brian. But we're very fortunate, he's very fortunate that a lot of the news is positive."

Rivera said he and running backs coach Randy Jordan were watching film of Robinson when he got the phone call Sunday evening. Robinson soon called him to let him know he would be OK. Robinson, a third-round draft pick in April, had emerged this summer as Washington's likely running back on early downs. Coaches liked how hard he ran between the tackles.

But they also liked his personality and how he approached his job.

"I've gotten several phone calls as a head coach, but this was one of the harder ones," Rivera said. "First of all because he's a heck of a young man. It kind of blindsided me a little bit."

Quarterback Carson Wentz said the news jolted the players.

"It's sobering for sure," Wentz said. "This is real life. Things could have been a lot worse. It takes you away from football real quick. These are real-life issues and we're not immune to it.

"To have moments like that, that are unrelated to football, gives you a sense of reality and makes you understand a much bigger picture and that there are more important things in life."

This isn't the first time Washington has had to deal with off-field tragedies in the past year. Defensive end Montez Sweat's brother was shot and killed in December. Earlier last year, Sweat's mother died. Former safety Deshazor Everett crashed his car after going 90 mph on a rural Virginia road two days before Christmas, killing his longtime girlfriend.

That's in addition to multiple other off-field occurrences, including Dan Snyder being investigated by Congress and losing the team's trainer after the Drug Enforcement Agency raided his office last October.

"Things have happened on and off the field for this team the last few years," Commanders receiver Terry McLaurin said. "We've learned to take the time and appreciate what's going on and you can't just breeze over it and move past it. We're human and it does affect our mental. It shakes your whole day when things like [Robinson's situation] happen, but we also understand we still have to do our job and come out and practice hard and prepare."

McLaurin said Robinson has an infectious personality in practice -- not because he's always talking, but because of his actions and how hard he practices. He said Robinson often sits next to him in offensive meetings; after he was getting more work with the starters, he said, Robinson was "still hungry to earn that spot. If he keeps that mindset, he'll be successful."

Wentz said Robinson is "a lot of fun to be around. He's high energy, great dude. He was coming out of his shell a little bit. I look forward to seeing him back in here hopefully soon and a big smile on his face; I'm sure it'll come back real quick."

At his news conference, Rivera wore an orange shirt that had the inscription "Wear Orange," signifying his support for gun safety measures.

"It's about education," Rivera said. "If you're going to own a handgun, it's about knowing how to properly secure it so it doesn't get stolen or so the wrong people don't use it and do this.

"This continues to be a nationwide epidemic, gun violence. We have to get to a point where we talk about gun safety. We can't make this a partisan issue. It's something we have to work on to come together and be able to solve."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Maybe somewhat off on a tangent but some of the comments! "That's just bullet through meat"?? Tell me you've never been shot without saying you've never been shot

It's a whole 'nother thing when it's your meat

Physically he'll be a'ight, a pro player will get top tier attention and care, the thing with getting shot is mostly in your head. You get this PTSD feedback loop ****, you're just boppin along and something, anything triggers that and you find yourself reliving it, the fear, the adrenaline, it staggers you. And every time it replays it gets reinforced. Even well meaning therapy focuses on the event and can reinforce it subconsciously.

**** a buncha football, I hope the kid comes out the other side alright. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Maybe somewhat off on a tangent but some of the comments! "That's just bullet through meat"?? Tell me you've never been shot without saying you've never been shot

It's a whole 'nother thing when it's your meat

Physically he'll be a'ight, a pro player will get top tier attention and care, the thing with getting shot is mostly in your head. You get this PTSD feedback loop ****, you're just boppin along and something, anything triggers that and you find yourself reliving it, the fear, the adrenaline, it staggers you. And every time it replays it gets reinforced. Even well meaning therapy focuses on the event and can reinforce it subconsciously.

**** a buncha football, I hope the kid comes out the other side alright. 

You are so right. I have been shot at but never hit (wrong place wrong time). I had a friend get hit (shoulder but not near any vitals) and just seeing that tells that "just a flesh wound" only applies when it's NOT your flesh. There is the physical part of getting shot but also the mental part. I ducked for a long time when I heard certain sounds and I didn't even get hit. 

I hope Brian has a speedy recovery both mentally and physically. If he plays football agian that's a bonus. But right now he needs to get himself right agian. He has the advantage of being young. Just wish the absolute best for this young man. What a senseless act of cowardice from those punks. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1