Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Finlay: Brian Robinson Shot Multiple Times—Stable Condition

Conn

31 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

link?

About a dozen AP textbooks and another dozen rehab/healing texts. I’m a HCP. 🙂

🤷‍♂️, somebody throws out a “fact” on the ol’ interwebs that I haven’t seen yet, I ask for a link/reference, something.  Only timetable I’ve seen is “no timetable” and that was from the team. 

sorry, I didn’t know you are an HCP and still don’t know what an “HCP” is tbh……

**google is your friend:  health care provider, duh.  So you’re a knee/trauma doc of some sort?

Edited by stoshuaj

3 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

🤷‍♂️, somebody throws out a “fact” on the ol’ interwebs that I haven’t seen yet, I ask for a link/reference, something.  Only timetable I’ve seen is “no timetable”.

The fact he used an acronym should tell you it means Health Care Professional. Those folks speak in acronym algorithms  24/7

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

🤷‍♂️, somebody throws out a “fact” on the ol’ interwebs that I haven’t seen yet, I ask for a link/reference, something.  Only timetable I’ve seen is “no timetable”.

**google is your friend:  health care provider, duh.  So you’re a doc?

I’m a physical/rehab therapist. I work with the patients after the surgeons do their craft.

Only the surgeon and their clinical staff have any ‘facts’. However, given the quotes from the media/coaches/teammates, it’s pretty easy to infer.

If he had hit any major artery/vein/nerve and hard tissues…. His season was over. It’d take at least 3 months for all the tissues to heal… nevermind rehab. That’s the season.

The fact that everyone is optimistic and thinking short-term…. it can only imply one thing.

And I’m just as surprised as anyone else. I wasn’t expecting such a good diagnosis. It can only infer best case scenario.

Of course, barring anything unforeseen (setbacks, infections, etc).

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, The Rook said:

Thanks @TheShredder

I seriously hope he is talking with a trauma therapist.  This could be a life-changing event with echoes of PTSD.

I'm pulling for you, Rook - 100% back - physically, mentally, spiritually

:229:The Rook

Just like most media stories, PTSD narratives can be slanted to promote agendas. I could do a weekend seminar about PTSD.

As for BRob receiving counseling for getting jacked in DC, probably has the number for the team psychologist and was reminded to use it upon discharge with instructions. Past that, he's 23 yrs old and feels lucky after the incident and likely doesn't miss a wink of sleep over this. Things are much more cut and dry when you're younger.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Lets call him Big Ass h/t @theShredder

Or Bad Ass

😆 He's a big RB, so dudes glutes are oversized = Big Ass!

I was talking about the anatomy of the disclosed locations of the GSWs. They said 'hip', then 'glute', then we see him on crutches. His hips are fine, clearly. Media uses sensationalized terms for body locations to inflate severity to make the story more intense...I was poking at the fact he got shot in the ass and distal quad...not the hip and knee, which are far worse than what's actually happened.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

And it's a flight or fight response. If you don't attack you can still get shot. Judging him on his actions when he had a gun pointed directly at him, (two guns), is absurd.

There's some wild stats about what you should do and not do when you are being threatened with a gun. Maybe someone can look it up.

One of the best options is RUN! Most people can't shoot. Then add the interface of shooting someone and even at close range they miss. The fact he chose to fight might be in the unknown details, but I think I remember something along the lines of Running vs Fighting being 90% of the time it's best to flee. He probably didn't know about shooter #2, so he went for taking the gun away from a teenager. I'd imagine all 32 NFL teams and most Pro Sports Teams are reminding athletes to flee not fight, or give them what they want and replace the stolen item(s).

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

The bullet went through his knee. How would that NOT hit SOMETHING? There's stuff in there. It's not hollow. 

It didn't damage the structure from what I understand, but it went through his knee. So... there's stuff in there it hit and went through. 

Buddhist monks teach novices how to contemplate during meditation practice. Goes something like,

Monk- What do you see right in front of you?

Novice- A table.

M- Point to the table?

N- Points towards the table.

M- What is this? Points to a table leg.

N- Table Leg

M- Mmmm, is this not the table?

N- Yes, the leg of the table.

M- What is this? Points to a table top.

N- The table top.

M- Mmmm, is this not the table? You said this was a table, yet we have not been able to find it.

This is the same semantics we see here with the 'he was shot in the knee'. He was not shot through the knee, as nobody can really pinpoint the knee...it's somewhere in that area. Only region without structure is the medial distal quad that hangs over, protruding medially with progressive flexion. These were wild shots of desperation as his boy was going to get his ass beat.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Buddhist monks teach novices how to contemplate during meditation practice. Goes something like,

Monk- What do you see right in front of you?

Novice- A table.

M- Point to the table?

N- Points towards the table.

M- What is this? Points to a table leg.

N- Table Leg

M- Mmmm, is this not the table?

N- Yes, the leg of the table.

M- What is this? Points to a table top.

N- The table top.

M- Mmmm, is this not the table? You said this was a table, yet we have not been able to find it.

This is the same semantics we see here with the 'he was shot in the knee'. He was not shot through the knee, as nobody can really pinpoint the knee...it's somewhere in that area. Only region without structure is the medial distal quad that hangs over, protruding medially with progressive flexion. These were wild shots of desperation as his boy was going to get his ass beat.

I was using knee as a loose interpretation based on the reports. I don’t know if it was quad, hammy, calf, etc. My point was: there was something wherever he got shot. The poster I originally responded to essentially said there was nothing there. There was something there. And due to the nature of a gunshot wound, there’s a lot that can go wrong.

So while he likely isn’t in any life threatening danger, saying he got shot and nothing of importance was hit is a bit misleading. He had hot lead pass through his body. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

So while he likely isn’t in any life threatening danger, saying he got shot and nothing of importance was hit is a bit misleading. He had hot lead pass through his body. 

Yep. Point being we don't have enough info except he'd been wounded in the knee region and didn't sustain structured damage...that alone eliminates 90% of the 'knee'. Only thing left is the distal end of the quad.

quadinjury.jpg

• Like 1

If he got shot in the knee cap proper I wonder it if deflected off the knee cap? IIRC people have been shot in the head and their skull deflects the bullet.  When Reagan was shot the bullet bounced off a rib. Obviously the round caliber angle are in play but I share in case that helps explain him not put on IR.

Edited by RandyHolt

13 hours ago, TheShredder said:

There's some wild stats about what you should do and not do when you are being threatened with a gun. Maybe someone can look it up.

One of the best options is RUN! Most people can't shoot. Then add the interface of shooting someone and even at close range they miss. The fact he chose to fight might be in the unknown details, but I think I remember something along the lines of Running vs Fighting being 90% of the time it's best to flee. He probably didn't know about shooter #2, so he went for taking the gun away from a teenager. I'd imagine all 32 NFL teams and most Pro Sports Teams are reminding athletes to flee not fight, or give them what they want and replace the stolen item(s).

I have a question for you. I had surgery exactly one month ago. Double umbilical hernia. If I carry something I probably shouldn't, I can feel it kinda tear and I'm trying to be good. I was told 6 weeks to be recovered, but that just means until I can start to recover, right? Like at 6 weeks I can't start hitting the weights and ****, correct?

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have a question for you. I had surgery exactly one month ago. Double umbilical hernia. If I carry something I probably shouldn't, I can feel it kinda tear and I'm trying to be good. I was told 6 weeks to be recovered, but that just means until I can start to recover, right? Like at 6 weeks I can't start hitting the weights and ****, correct?

This is a pretty classic case and here we'd need more personal (patient history) info to be more accurate (of course).

Q- Age range? (20's, 30's, etc) {I'll assume you're over the hill, like me}

Q- PMHx? Any past hernia, abdominal, or core soft tissue injuries?

Q- Activity/Exercise tolerance prior to injury?

Q- Mechanism of herniation? Dead-lifting?

Q- How was the hernia repaired? Mesh?

-----

Really need more details to help properly. No responsible short answer.

I can feel it kinda tear and I'm trying to be good.

If you feel a tear, you're tearing something 100%. Patients also report feeling bleeding and blood leaking down into their leg, or testes.

If you had mesh implanted, you could be tearing scar tissues that are merging with the mesh. This will bleed (minimally). Scar tissue forms at different rates for different people. That's why there's ranges for when to take out sutures for example. We wait 7-10 days for suture removal without infection signs. {1} I would not panic about feeling tears. {2} Be disciplined during the healing process and don't screw up the Doc's work or he'll gladly take your money again to repair it.

I was told 6 weeks to be recovered

In 4 weeks, your body will have created a scar tissue "patch" where it's been cut or torn. This scar tissue is different from the normal tissue. It's not 100% finished with it's process, but it's well on it's way (in this case). At 6 weeks, it's probably healed enough that you can begin to rehab. Some people might need 8+ weeks. Healing factors like age, sex, wt., PMHx, diet, nutrition, etc come into play. Old, male, fat, smokers heal pretty slow (obviously).

Like at 6 weeks I can't start hitting the weights and ****

Ah, no. Rehab process is a graduating process. Starts with specific muscle movements to increase range of motion, as not to tear and avoid re-injury. You start without any load. Natural body movements to rehab the affected muscles and connective tissues, to slowly incorporate the scar tissue (takes time). If you want to take the Curtis Samuel 21' plan, sure go jump into lifting right away! Otherwise you have to have a basic plan to increase load and intensity when you can safely handle it. Use the 'harder than last time' approach to stack pain free days with increased activity. Don't overload, or Doc is going to double up! Used to say that all the time because nobody does what you tell them...'Do what I say or pay me twice.'

Be patient Patient.

Rehab isn't a pain free process. That's why people get paid to help, figuring out what pain is good, ok, expected, and what is not. Doing this yourself will create setbacks almost certainly. With help, setbacks can still happen. It's about not re-injuring yourself. You know your body.

As far as sex after hernia, that's pain tolerance mostly after the initial healing period. Same as the rehab process...don't go slamming it, exceeding the tissues recovery process. Start slow and work your way up.

4-6 weeks range of motion (ROM) only. Manage daily step count. Avoid increased abdominal pressure (no squatting-no lifting).

6-8 weeks step up ROM with increased intensity (like a PT applies counter pressure to natural movements) Can use lite restricting bands. Increase your daily step count.

8+ weeks 'Harder than last time' approach getting back to full strength.

If you're doing this on your own go slow. Use pain as a guide. Try to aim for being pain free or pain normal for 2-3 days in a row before increases.

You can literally walk your way to 100% FYI. Send me a message if you need to.

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 8/31/2022 at 11:23 AM, KDawg said:

The fact he used an acronym should tell you it means Health Care Professional. Those folks speak in acronym algorithms  24/7

Technically it’s an initialism. An acronym you read out the word like NASA or AIDS. When you sound out the letters it’s an initialism like FBI or CIA. 

• Like 3