Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Sam Howell QB North Carolina

PCS

38 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Howling for Howell?

I'm telling you, should have been the Redwolves.

I definitely made a couple heads explode when I said drafting Howell to be the Redwolves QB was too perfect in the name changery.

Now we can Howl every time Wentz screws up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I definitely made a couple heads explode when I said drafting Howell to be the Redwolves QB was too perfect in the name changery.

Now we can Howl every time Wentz screws up.

Maybe in 1-2 years we can have a new owner, new team name and a new starting QB.  Wentz has 2 solid years and is traded for more than we got him for and we move to Howell. 

A man can dream.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I wasnt really high on Howell as was clear from me in the draft thread. He doesnt have good size, struggles with midrange accuracy on occasion, has a bit of a slow release and takes far too many sacks. That being said he is a steal in the 5th round. The nice thing about getting him in a later round is it takes all pressure off of him to come in and perform. He can sit and learn the pro game. And Wentz also will feel no pressure from Howell either. Really a win for the team. Worst case you probably have a capable backup with enough arm strength to threaten all levels of the field. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

21 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I wasnt really high on Howell as was clear from me in the draft thread. He doesnt have good size, struggles with midrange accuracy on occasion, has a bit of a slow release and takes far too many sacks. That being said he is a steal in the 5th round. The nice thing about getting him in a later round is it takes all pressure off of him to come in and perform. He can sit and learn the pro game. And Wentz also will feel no pressure from Howell either. Really a win for the team. Worst case you probably have a capable backup with enough arm strength to threaten all levels of the field. 

I do this, too, so glass houses and ****…

But when we watch a guy and our first reaction is “meh” we tend to view them through a negative lens. When we watch a player and our first reaction is positive, we tend to view them through a positive lens.

Therein lies the trouble with couch scouting. 

But when I watch a guy and don’t like him, I focus on the things he doesn’t do vs. the things he does. Vice versa when I watch him and like him. I’ve gotten better at not letting that overcome the actual film, but… human. Dotson was a guy I was really eh on the first time I watched him. Then I decided to watch him again. Couldn’t have been more wrong the first time. I switched thoughts quick. I am probably partly guilty of that with Pickett. Still don’t think as highly of him as the Steelers or others, but @Jds0912 made me go back and watch him more and… while still not through the roof high on him, I think I did slightly undervalue what he can do in my eval. So… guilty.

But with Sam Howell I think a lot of people had him painted negatively before they watched. Maybe not you. But many. 

He didn’t have the type of season he was “supposed” to, so the negatives stand out more.

I thought he had a pretty good season. Lose your top 2 receivers and top 2 backs which accounted for 3k + total yards and what do you do? Change your game a little, rush for ~850 and help get another receiver to 1400 yards.

The ball pops out of his hand. 

Fairly athletic. 

Reads the field. 

I wasn’t as high on Pickett, but he was the only other QB in this class that I saw scan the field. 

Stout and durable. Can make all the throws on top of having the rocket. 

Protects the ball. Big time. 

having said that, I don’t think your shortcomings list is wrong. I’d watch him and see him play the pocket like he was an award winning musician at times and then a play later it was like he forgot there were guys trying to get him.

Sometimes, because he reads the field, he held the ball too long and took sacks. 

But, because I liked the dude, I focused on his positives.

But I can’t fault anyone who watches the film and forms an opinion for their take, no matter if I agree or not. Well informed opinions are always awesome. 

So I do appreciate your takes on him. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Howell’s biggest rival in college (NC State) uses the “howl” and I’m pretty sure Sam hates it. Let’s do better.

Howell's biggest rivals in college probably also cheered when their team scored touchdowns. Do you think Sam would hate it if Commie fans cheered too?

Edited by NickyJ

I didn't find out the day 3 picks until this morning. Seeing Howell was picked by Washington gave me a smile. Seeing that is wasn't until the 5th round widened my smile.

Definitely one of the top value selections of the drat for teams. I didn't expect him to survive the 3rd round no less make it through the 4th. Great addition and at a minimum will be a long term solid backup

lpl...

Stefanskins replied to Renegade7's topic in The Stadium

I’d love to be in position to get Howell after next season...but, baring the injury thing, I truly believe hienicke/Allen/cheap veteran/build THIS team is the way to go...I’ve been drinking but from what I’ve seen a either Allen/hienicke/tyrod-esque combo gets us to 10 wins playoffs/division champs...all in on the TEAM...that’s culture
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Simmsy said:

Not trying to be an ass here, but if this kid is so good and everyone is so excited to get him, why was he available so late in the draft?

Not flashy. Didn’t fit with schemes as well as others.

Not to say he’s Brady. He’s not. But… if he was available in the 6th, why was he available so late in the draft?

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Not trying to be an ass here, but if this kid is so good and everyone is so excited to get him, why was he available so late in the draft?

Recency bias, as last year was not as good as the previous year as a passer (although he did some really good things and has really solid career numbers at UNC).

Doesn’t have prototypical size (built more like Dak Prescott/ Baker Mayfield then the ideal)

QB is weird and is so dependent on who has one and who needs one. Tons of teams got veterans in FA and others are rebuilding and are probably going to address it next year. Others took QBs last year.

Same reason Kirk Cousins went in 4th and Dak went in 4th.

I’m really excited to see what he can grow into and become in our offense over the next year or two.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Had a poor year 2021. Lost his OL and offensive weapons. Our FO love his 2020 tape. He may or may not become a starter, but I think he is on the roster for several years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not flashy. Didn’t fit with schemes as well as others.

Not to say he’s Brady. He’s not. But… if he was available in the 6th, why was he available so late in the draft?

Quoting myself just to piggyback.

The Brady draft there weren’t a ton of guys drafted at quarterback, either.

Brady was QB7

Howell is QB6.

That doesn’t mean a damn thing, obviously. 

Prescott was QB8.

Cousins was QB8.

Again, circumstantial. But QBs slip because there aren’t as many of them and some teams don’t need them. 

Will Howell pan out? No idea. Not saying he will. I think he can. 

But, ya… good QBs can be available late.

1 hour ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

If Gibbs was our coach he probably would have drafted this kid and saw a better version of Rypien calling him a " Super Smart, real intelligent guy who can throw the deep ball"

But will he fight his guts out?!?!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Quoting myself just to piggyback.

The Brady draft there weren’t a ton of guys drafted at quarterback, either.

Brady was QB7

Howell is QB6.

That doesn’t mean a damn thing, obviously. 

Prescott was QB8.

Cousins was QB8.

Again, circumstantial. But QBs slip because there aren’t as many of them and some teams don’t need them. 

Will Howell pan out? No idea. Not saying he will. I think he can. 

But, ya… good QBs can be available late.

Also, a lot of experienced NFL QBs changed teams, so teams that might have been in the market for a QB in the draft filled their QB spot without needing to draft one.  I don't ever remember so many experienced QBs going to a new team in any one year before.  I think that played a big roll in what happened in the draft as far as QBs are concerned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

I'm not so sure about that. Every indication is that Wentz does not take well to competition.

Personally I'm fine with "Red shirting" Howell for the year so he can learn the most possible before possibly needing to start in 2023. Throwing rookie QBs to the wolves just seems like a bad idea to me. 

👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I can’t wait to cheer for this guy to be a starter when Wentz looks entirely pedestrian in preseason.

That’s the only negative to this pick that I see… Having to listen to half the board calling for Howell the first time Wentz doesn’t light it up.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1