Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Sam Howell QB North Carolina

PCS

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That’s the only negative to this pick that I see… Having to listen to half the board calling for Howell the first time Wentz doesn’t light it up.

Wentz is still on the team?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 4/30/2022 at 10:16 PM, CjSuAvE22 said:

Kirk Cousins was not a fifth round pick like this guy, but he was a 4th rounder and believe me when i tell you all Kirk Cousins is way better than this bum.

Any reference is based upon them both being day 3 guys that were value. Cousins had a 3rd/4th round valuation if memory serves, but never came close to top 10-20 during his Michigan State days like Howell did in '20 and the '21 offseason. He tumbled badly, but his play on the field when he had talent around him slotted him as a 1st/2nd round caliber QB in a bad QB draft (in fairness, Cousins had a late 3rd/4th round grade in a great QB class). 

Ringing endorsement from Kurt Warner here. Seems like he's saying he's his favorite of the 5 that came out this year.

Bonus: can get an eye on our UDFA LB from ND.

On Part 2 Kurt Warner goes over his negatives for Howell, and (spoil alert) it's technique. That's really exciting to me, because technique can be learned, and Howell sounds like he has the work ethic and desire to be great to fix those technique issues.

Imagine looking back on this draft and it being our Cinderella story draft when we got our franchise QB in the 5th round like a Dak or Wilson.

Learning how to QB under center and technique development for a year and we might really have something here.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not to say he’s Brady. He’s not. But… if he was available in the 6th, why was he available so late in the draft?

There's literally no way to know if he's Brady or not ... yet.

He's probably not.  Because nobody has ever been.

But Brady wasn't Brady until Brady was Brady.  (If you follow that logic...)

I hope he gets a chance to play at some point, and plays well enough so we don't have to extend Wentz.  That's my absolute desire: He sits this year, never plays a snap.  Wentz plays well enough to win enough.  

Howell allows the Commanders to not re-sign TH in 2023.  He is the backup for another year or two. 

Then instead of having to re-up with an older Carson, he's there to take over, ala Aaron Rodgers, and goes on to have a HOF career.

That's what I want.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I hope he gets a chance to play at some point, and plays well enough so we don't have to extend Wentz.  That's my absolute desire: He sits this year, never plays a snap.  Wentz plays well enough to win enough.  

Howell allows the Commanders to not re-sign TH in 2023.  He is the backup for another year or two. 

Then instead of having to re-up with an older Carson, he's there to take over, ala Aaron Rodgers, and goes on to have a HOF career.

That's what I want.  

What's cool is for once I think that's what the player and the organization want and its actually a good idea

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's what I want.  

No. He’s literally not Brady.

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's what I want.  

Also, I find it hilarious that people are trying to sell me on Howell… I was the conductor on the train all offseason. No need to try to sell me on him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

QB's take time to develop, even the great ones. Brady was good when he took over as the starter but it wasn't like he was playing so elite those first few seasons that it would be a safe bet to say he'd end up amongst the GOAT(s) when all was said & done.   It's the fact that he kept getting better every season that made the difference.

Another example is Russell Wilson. For most of 2012 it was a two QB race for ROTY between RG3 & Luck.  Wilson wasn't having a bad rookie season, just nothing that jumped out at you. Until that is, Wilson changed up the offense and had Wilson running more RPO stuff like RG3 was doing.  All of a sudden Wilson's legs opened up things that weren't there before when he was trying to run a more traditional QB style in the pocket.   Wilson still isn't at his best as a pocket passer, but he made sure to tighten up the aspects of the running QB style that often leads to shorter careers and/or slippage in the passing game itself. 

These things take time, and Washington ideally has drafted a rookie QB into a situation where there is time, hopefully.

• Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Also, I find it hilarious that people are trying to sell me on Howell… I was the conductor on the train all offseason. No need to try to sell me on him. 

Honestly I dont think you are high enough on him idk. 

• Haha 3

Part of what gives this pick value is that Wentz misses games. Even if Wentz is great and is the long term solution, you’re  going to need a solid backup if you’re a team shooting for the playoffs. And then if the backup shines, you can move him for value. 

Some of you ******* are acting like you haven't been through quarterback controversies before.

Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed to be associated with you.  I thought you were battle-hardened.  I thought you knew what was up.  I thought the pain, suffering and agony of a quarterback controversy wasn't something you candy-ass puppy piss pumping chumps didn't run away from but something you ran TOWARDS.

****, this **** runs in our BLOOD.  This **** is something that has been going on with this franchise since before some of us were BORN.  I was put to bed by stories of "I like Sonny/I like Billy" and the bumper stickers that were plastered all over this town with each Redskins fan claiming their guy.  Schroeder/Williams.  Rypien/Anyone.  Shuler/Frerotte.  Johnson/George.  Matthews/Ramsey/Wuerffel/Spurrier.  Campbell/Collins.  RG3/Cousins.  Heinicke/Allen.

And I know I'm forgetting some, but now you guys are cowering at the thought of a Wentz/Howell controversy?  What the **** am I seeing here? 

Do you know who we are?  We're the inmate doing a 40 year stint.  Sitting in the corner in the yard, jacked as ****, muscles rippling, bulging, everyone in that yard knowing we're the old guy not to **** with.  We've been through WARS.  And we get up each morning and hit the weights in the yard, benching twice as much as ******* half our age.

New guy, Titan walks in, thinks he's got a quarterback controversy.  Tannehill/Willis?  **** outta here with that ****, meat.  You think you got a quarterback controversy?  YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I'VE BEEN.  YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE SEEN.

Wentz/Howell?  **** please.  Sack the **** up, we've been here before.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 3
  • Haha 13
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

No. He’s literally not Brady.

I was kindof kidding.

But there is not one person alive who thought Brady coming out of Michigan was going to develop into the future GOAT.  It was not predictable.  

So, eh, in the realm of things which are completely unpredictable, Howell developing into Brady would be one of them.

I'd take a solid starter myself.  I'm not that greedy.  

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was kindof kidding.

But there is not one person alive who thought Brady coming out of Michigan was going to develop into the future GOAT.  It was not predictable.  

So, eh, in the realm of things which are completely unpredictable, Howell developing into Brady would be one of them.

I'd take a solid starter myself.  I'm not that greedy.  

No. I was saying, literally, that Howell isn’t Brady. There will never be another Tom Brady. Howell is his own entity. 

21 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Some of you ******* are acting like you haven't been through quarterback controversies before.

Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed to be associated with you.  I thought you were battle-hardened.  I thought you knew what was up.  I thought the pain, suffering and agony of a quarterback controversy wasn't something you candy-ass puppy piss pumping chumps didn't run away from but something you ran TOWARDS.

****, this **** runs in our BLOOD.  This **** is something that has been going on with this franchise since before some of us were BORN.  I was put to bed by stories of "I like Sonny/I like Billy" and the bumper stickers that were plastered all over this town with each Redskins fan claiming their guy.  Schroeder/Williams.  Rypien/Anyone.  Shuler/Frerotte.  Johnson/George.  Matthews/Ramsey/Wuerffel/Spurrier.  Campbell/Collins.  RG3/Cousins.  Heinicke/Allen.

And I know I'm forgetting some, but now you guys are cowering at the thought of a Wentz/Howell controversy?  What the **** am I seeing here? 

Do you know who we are?  We're the inmate doing a 40 year stint.  Sitting in the corner in the yard, jacked as ****, muscles rippling, bulging, everyone in that yard knowing we're the old guy not to **** with.  We've been through WARS.  And we get up each morning and hit the weights in the yard, benching twice as much as ******* half our age.

New guy, Titan walks in, thinks he's got a quarterback controversy.  Tannehill/Willis?  **** outta her with that ****, meat.  You think you got a quarterback controversy?  YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I'VE BEEN.  YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE SEEN.

Wentz/Howell?  **** please.  Sack the **** up, we've been here before.

TL;DR

Also, there isn’t a QB controversy. Howell is our guy. Waiting for them to trade Wentz and cut Heinicke any moment.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Chad Johnson can legally change his name to Chad Ochocinquo, then Sam Howell can change his name to Tom Brady. 

Probably copyright and trademark infringements somewhere in there.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Part of what gives this pick value is that Wentz misses games. Even if Wentz is great and is the long term solution, you’re  going to need a solid backup if you’re a team shooting for the playoffs. And then if the backup shines, you can move him for value. 

Except, he doesn't.  I'm going to keep posting this until everybody realizes that this narrative is absolutely false.

Wentz has missed a grand total of 8 regular season starts due to injury, and none since 2018. In the last 3 seasons he has made every scheduled start, except when he was benched for Hurts in Philly.  But that wasn't an injury situation.  

He has had 2 big injuries, the ACL and the back issue.  

He's tough as nails.  He plays through absolutely everything else.  

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Probably copyright and trademark infringements somewhere in there.

I don't think he can trademark the name.  Though, I don't think he could be TB14.  I'm sure THAT is trademarked.

Hell, I might try and change my name to Tom Brady and see what happens :P 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ultravin said:

i can see them try to screw the colts and not have carson wentz play the 70% of the snaps, just so we give up a third next year instead of a second.

This will entirely depend on how the team is doing.  

I think if they are out of it at the mid-way point, then you could see Carson be pulled for somebody.  Hopefully Howell.  

If they are in it, there's no way they pull Wentz.  And, fwiw, I think they WILL be in it.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

On 5/1/2022 at 3:00 PM, Playaction2Sanders said:

If Gibbs was our coach he probably would have drafted this kid and saw a better version of Rypien calling him a " Super Smart, real intelligent guy who can throw the deep ball"

if he won't fight his guts out, i'm not interested

5 hours ago, ultravin said:

i can see them try to screw the colts and not have carson wentz play the 70% of the snaps, just so we give up a third next year instead of a second.

I see no way they would do this. Our coaching staff is about culture and winning. We couldn't even tank for Burrow when we had the chance. Our team is too good to be anything worse then 8-9. And that's with Heinicki at QB. I think woth Carson we are easily 2-3 games better. And easier schedule. I still think we beat Giants 2 times. And split with Dallas and Eagles. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we bear Dallas 2 times too. I really think we will be 11-6. We would have to start the season like 2-5  or 1-4 to pull Carson and I think we are way better then that.