Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

12 hours ago, TK said:

I needed to see this. I like this kid, I feel better about this pick. I have a similar feeling about him like I did with Terry McClaurin. That he is all about football and being his best. That he's a professional. Wish the interviewer wouldve asked him if he had a message for the fans. 

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Djax is one of the best WRs I've ever seen at tracking and getting under deep balls and making folks pay for it. 

Him being fast and small...look, I hope he balls out, but he has a lot to prove to get the Djax comparison. 

****, DJax aint never declined. He STILL fast and a good WR. He just always been injury prone AF. If he wasnt so injury prone, he'd probably be a first ballot hall of famer. 

• Like 2

Who cares if this pick is not the ideal WR for Wentz?

Why would anyone spend their premium assets building around a player that you are not committed to yet?

A late round pick or small FA signing? Sure. But why would I pigeon hole my 1st round selection around I guy I can't even guarantee will be around next year.

In our situation, you pick a guy that helps the offense do what you want it to be able to do, and considering our construction of McL Samuel and Brown, we want small speedy guys that make you cover the whole field. Dotson at least checks that box.

Complaining about Dot b/c he is a bad fit for Wentz would be like praising drafting a first rounder who would be a tailor-made complement for Payne when he seems unlikely to get an extension. You don't build around stuff that your not confident will be there.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I hope he makes everyone who doubts him look bad. I preferred the other 4 WRs and Burks over him but I think he is a really good prospect. I am just not sure how he fits in - would have liked a bigger guy for outside. But I am still happy that we added a weapon on offense.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, zCommander said:

Some fans posting on twitter... not too happy about Dotson at all. 

Breaking: A 4.43 40 yard dash is now "slow"

I actually like Dotson more than Olave. He has some of the same abilities as Olave but also some that Olave lacks. Olave is a little bigger, faster and smoother but Dotson has the elusiveness, wiggle, and physicality that Olave definitely doesn't have. Dotson breaks tackles and makes guys miss; Olave hardly ever does.

Both are really good at finding holes in zone coverages, both have great acceleration and speed change ability, neither seems great against press coverage though IMO Doctson may get the nod here because he has some of the explosion and twitch that Olave lacks, both can make circus catches but Dotson gets the nod for contested catch abilities and pure catch radius. Olave at this point is probably a bit more polished in his route running.

I still think it was a bit of a reach but not so much that it's worth going ape**** over. Dotson has serious skills.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I don't have anything against Dotson really, but damn if it doesn't seem like this current regime loves to reach for need in the first round.

At least they got a couple of extra 4th rounders this time, though. Never a bad thing, since no matter how informed people think they are....draft picks are lottery tickets in practice.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think WR is deep enough that I'd have preferred us to address different needs in the first but I still don't hate the pick. Think I'd prefer Dotson + 2 picks to Olave and I like Olave. Dotson will be very good here I think. We need that deeper threat to stretch the field and we finally have a QB with the arm strength to make it work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'm underwhelmed. It could work out, but given the history of this team and other options I doubt it will.

I mean given this team and our history, 'hat should be the case anywhere.  When we've been bad we haven't maximized draft picks, and when we were good in the 70s and 80s we traded them most of the time.  Expecting great things from us in the draft ever is a losing proposition.  So why pay attention?

Dotson vs. Olave

What does Olave do better?

Olave was best in class at getting off the press. He has such smooth foot and hands at the line of scrimmage and uses his speed and hand fighting combination to get free off the line and re-stack extremely well. This is Dotson's weak point. He struggles with press, but he wasn't pressed often to get the reps to improve it. Watching the film it looks like his feet are fine for it but has to develop his hand fighting. While Dotson is improving that they can line him up off the LoS. He has such a fast first step that giving him just a little room (even just a yard) allows him to break free of anything. He explodes off the line. You can also use short motions.

Olave is also a tad faster. 0.04 seconds faster in the 40.

What does Jahan do better?

Easily his physicality. Dotson runs through arm tackles and has a general disregard for human life despite his smaller frame. He is a willing blocker and he doesn't know how small he is because he acts like he's 6-2. He breaks a lot of tackles just by keeping his feet churning. Chris Olave doesn't break tackles. Basically ever. Olave is among the worst in class at this.

What does Jahan do?

He is a precise and smooth route runner who is quick twitch in and out of his breaks. He has the best hands in the class, or at least among the best hands in the class and he excels at finding holes in zones and sitting down in the window. Upon catch, even from a stopped position, he explodes out for yards after the catch. Combine that with his ability to get yards after contact and there are plenty of yards available for him.

Jahan Player Comps: Steve Smith/Santana Moss from a route running/toughness standpoint. He is a tad slower than them, however.

Who Jahan Dotson is not: Desean Jackson. Like at all. :ols:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I think my favorite thing so far is seeing people call Dotson slow and Olave fast. 4.43 vs. 4.39.

Yikes. 

The silliest fans are the ones Finaly pointed out.

The ones that are hating on Jahan Dotson because his name is close to Josh Docston.

As if that somehow connects them. That it means their careers are going to paraell here.

Which is ridiculous. 🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

The silliest fans are the ones Finaly pointed out.

The ones that are hating on Jahan Dotson because his name is close to Josh Docston.

As if that somehow connects them. That it means their careers are going to paraell here.

Which is ridiculous. 🤦‍♂️

Oh, those go on my, "he has to be joking" list. That or when they are serious, I make note of their name and disregard any football opinion they have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Dotson vs. Olave

What does Olave do better?

Olave was best in class at getting off the press. He has such smooth foot and hands at the line of scrimmage and uses his speed and hand fighting combination to get free off the line and re-stack extremely well. This is Dotson's weak point. He struggles with press, but he wasn't pressed often to get the reps to improve it. Watching the film it looks like his feet are fine for it but has to develop his hand fighting. While Dotson is improving that they can line him up off the LoS. He has such a fast first step that giving him just a little room (even just a yard) allows him to break free of anything. He explodes off the line. You can also use short motions.

Olave is also a tad faster. 0.04 seconds faster in the 40.

What does Jahan do better?

Easily his physicality. Dotson runs through arm tackles and has a general disregard for human life despite his smaller frame. He is a willing blocker and he doesn't know how small he is because he acts like he's 6-2. He breaks a lot of tackles just by keeping his feet churning. Chris Olave doesn't break tackles. Basically ever. Olave is among the worst in class at this.

What does Jahan do?

He is a precise and smooth route runner who is quick twitch in and out of his breaks. He has the best hands in the class, or at least among the best hands in the class and he excels at finding holes in zones and sitting down in the window. Upon catch, even from a stopped position, he explodes out for yards after the catch. Combine that with his ability to get yards after contact and there are plenty of yards available for him.

Jahan Player Comps: Steve Smith/Santana Moss from a route running/toughness standpoint. He is a tad slower than them, however.

Who Jahan Dotson is not: Desean Jackson. Like at all. :ols:

I talked about this in the draft thread.  I think Olave and Dotson are pretty close.  I said the day of the draft actually to you, I slightly prefer Olave over Dotson but would trade down in the first and pass over Olave and take Dotson and add picks over just taking Olave by a country mile.  And that's exactly what they did so I am pleased. 

Dotson had more production than Olave yards wise

Bigger wingspan than Olave

Charted better on PFF yards per route than Olave (PFF swears by that metric)

Better vertical than Olave.  36 versus 32.

More deep yards.  More deep catches

Better YAC.

Dotson had the best drop rate (only 2%) in this receiver group.  Olave was 6%

Dotson IMO has better hands than Olave.  He's a feistier player.  Olave to me the smoother route runner, better outside.  Doctson IMO better inside.  Olave with the better releases. 

The play below is a very Dotson type of move, he gets open quickly underneath.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think my favorite thing so far is seeing people call Dotson slow and Olave fast. 4.43 vs. 4.39.

Yikes. 

Man, Olave runs 0.09 yards per second more than Dotson!

How can you not see the difference?!

Still don't get all the hype about the 40 yards dash drill, especially when it's done in shorts and shirts... Now you're seeing linemen running subpar 5s which is just weird.

Now since I haven't followed prospect, like at all this year, I'm just gonna ride it with @KDawg and @Skinsinparadise take on him. So I'm fine with the pick even if I probably wouldn't have gone WR.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bifflog said:

Since reach/not a reach is going to be pretty much all of the discourse around this guy until he plays a couple of downs for us, let's see what the consensus says:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2022/jahan-dotson

Doesn't seem any way he would have lasted to us in RD2, as some were speculating in the draft thread.  Consensus late first rounder that we took at 16, it's probably reachy but if you liked the player, you were rolling the dice trading back again, and RD2 doesn't seem an option.

One thing that makes me excited about this guy is who he was linked too. By and large, the teams that had their eye on Dotson seemed to be the really good teams. Many were thinking he'd be a perfect Chiefs' pick. Given Reid's knack with the passing game that says a lot. You want to get the defensive player's Baltimore covets. You want to get the offensive guys the Chiefs' love.

• Like 1