Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

A good friend of mine is a huge Penn State fan and he loves Dotson! I’m not happy he’s only 5’10 and 180 but he would fill the need for the slot. He can interchange with Curtis on the outside. The one thing my buddy says is that he can track the ball well and is extremely quick off the line which is needed at the slot. 

Im okay with it. He’s a clone of Olave and we got 2 additional picks. 

• Like 2

Since reach/not a reach is going to be pretty much all of the discourse around this guy until he plays a couple of downs for us, let's see what the consensus says:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2022/jahan-dotson

Doesn't seem any way he would have lasted to us in RD2, as some were speculating in the draft thread.  Consensus late first rounder that we took at 16, it's probably reachy but if you liked the player, you were rolling the dice trading back again, and RD2 doesn't seem an option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

A good friend of mine is a huge Penn State fan and he loves Dotson! I’m not happy he’s only 5’10 and 180 but he would fill the need for the slot. He can interchange with Curtis on the outside. The one thing my buddy says is that he can track the ball well and is extremely quick off the line which is needed at the slot. 

Im okay with it. He’s a clone of Olave and we got 2 additional picks. 

I'm not happy, either. 

Wentz needs receivers, there's no rule that said we had to take a Wide Receiver with our first pick.

Terry is 6ft, Samuels is shorter. Logan is 30 coming off a torn ACL, the need for a big target was obvious, I'm hoping for the best, but we even traded down and still didn't get a receiver over 6ft. : /

5 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Some fans posting on twitter... not too happy about Dotson at all. 

Why would a small, slow, WR with bad route running ability be a consensus 1st rounder?

Probably because it's a bull**** assessment.

I'm all for being skeptical of the team, and it's decisions just on the basis that they haven't proven anything and are likely to screw things up.  But not everything is a zero or ten, either we made the right call or it's a shocking disaster of epic proportions.  You wanna think they screwed up passing on Olave at 11, fine, but to act like there's a massive chasm between picking the 16th ranked guy at 11 vs picking the 31st ranked guy at 16 is disingenuous.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not happy, either. 

Wentz needs receivers, there's no rule that said we had to take a Wide Receiver with our first pick.

Terry is 6ft, Samuels is shorter. Logan is 30 coming off a torn ACL, the need for a big target was obvious, I'm hoping for the best, but we even traded down and still didn't get a receiver over 6ft. : /

Drafts not over and I could see them getting another receiver, maybe a Pierce so I hope we get some size. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Why would a small, slow, WR with bad route running ability be a consensus 1st rounder?

Probably because it's a bull**** assessment.

I'm all for being skeptical of the team, and it's decisions just on the basis that they haven't proven anything and are likely to screw things up.  But not everything is a zero or ten, either we made the right call or it's a shocking disaster of epic proportions.  You wanna think they screwed up passing on Olave at 11, fine, but to act like there's a massive chasm between picking the 16th ranked guy at 11 vs picking the 31st ranked guy at 16 is disingenuous.

The stupidity of some fans on twitter is hilarious. So wanted to post a link to ES and say come here and maybe you can be more educated...lol

I liked what Ron said too: They liked Jahan for their system. That is important too. The guy has to fit your system and not just get a tall and faster WR who may not run routes more effectively or any other tangibles things they are not able to do. Ron did put his QB under the bus and said despite lack of QB play Jahan did what he could and did it well. So in Ron's eye Wentz should do wonders for Jahan then. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, we got our Djax to our Garcon back @Renegade7

Djax is one of the best WRs I've ever seen at tracking and getting under deep balls and making folks pay for it. 

Him being fast and small...look, I hope he balls out, but he has a lot to prove to get the Djax comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Interesting, they had offers to trade back further from #16, but decided Dotson was more valuable.

Its pretty clear to me they wanted a WR in the first.   If London was there, they would have taken him.  Not sure what they do with Wilson.  We know what they did with Jameson.  So my guess is they had Olave and Dotson ranked similarly…and maybe even Dotson ahead.  So if that’s the case, they did well to snag a couple extra needed picks and still end up in the same place.

I definitely think Jameson was the better move, but it was probably never a real consideration.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Djax is one of the best WRs I've ever seen at tracking and getting under deep balls and making folks pay for it. 

Him being fast and small...look, I hope he balls out, but he has a lot to prove to get the Djax comparison. 

I know that. I'm not saying he's already that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Where tf are these DJax comparisons coming from?  Desean had *different* speed.  Effortless, different speed, and 10 inch mitts.  He was a frankenstein.  

Laughable comp and that’s not a dig at Dotson.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Where tf are these DJax comparisons coming from?  Desean had *different* speed.  Effortless, different speed, and 10 inch mitts.  He was a frankenstein.  

Laughable comp and that’s not a dig at Dotson.

Ron said he is a bit like DJax. Not totally like him I am sure, but he sees a bit of him and Steve Smith as well. 

Edited by zCommander

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

So my guess is they had Olave and Dotson ranked similarly…and maybe even Dotson ahead.

I've been thinking about that.  There are a few things Dotson does better, and a few that Olave does better.  It will have to come down to scheme fit and what they intend to do with Dotson that they might not have done as well with Olave.

I've got Olave > Dotson.  But I could see how some playcalls against some defenses would work better with Dotson.  Olave is a super silky smooth glider that can ramp up speed in the snap of your fingers, but he's not a wiggle around defenders YAC guy.  Dotson can though.  So can Curtis Samuel and so can Terry.  It's possible we're planning on having some 3 WR sets added where they're all in trips, bunch, stack, etc and then defenders can never be sure who is the shallow and whose faking that and going intermediate.

• Like 2

Just now, zCommander said:

Ron said he is a bit like DJax. Not totally like him I am sure, but he sees a bit of him and Steve Smith as well. 

Yep saw that, just no idea what he’s seeing.  He’s not either of those guys and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Djax had freakish measureables and Smitty had more heart than just about any receiver that’s ever lived.  No knock on Dotson but he’s not either of those.

17 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Yep saw that, just no idea what he’s seeing.  He’s not either of those guys and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Djax had freakish measureables and Smitty had more heart than just about any receiver that’s ever lived.  No knock on Dotson but he’s not either of those.

Okay so you made me look up Djax scouting report... this is what Dotson can do as well except for the sprinter speed of course. 

Has just adequate strength to fight for tough catches, but shows the sudden burst to elude in the open field...While he has sprinter's speed, it is not like that of a normal track man, as he has a rapid stride with quick feet and the lateral agility to get in and out of a crowd with his flexible torso and hips that lets him adjust on the move...Highly motivated and intense player who works to finish and is not afraid of contact

Runs posts and slants cleanly and has a good understanding for stems, sticks and leverage (must improve transition)...Avoids defenders and works back to the pocket when the quarterback needs to scramble...Finds and sits in soft areas, waiting for the reception and has the rare speed to close the gap on off-man coverage, as he does a good job of extending and gaining a step for the over-the-shoulder grabs...Very creative on the move with fluid hips.

Has good ability to extend and pluck the ball outside his frame, especially on off motion and swing routes...Will round routes at times, but has the ability to create separation after the catch...Holds on to the ball after the collision and, while he will not hesitate on routes coming inside, he will lose focus when he hears the defender's feet...Is a true threat to challenge the deep secondary

Now this is Dotson:

• Instant acceleration to stem-and-go in his release.
  • Early juice creates earlier hip turn from coverage.
  • A single route can feature three-speed variance.
  • Slick and smooth on the move.
  • Talent to work all three levels of the field.
  • Potent second gear finding and maintaining deep-ball separation.
  • Agile, quick feet used on shake routes underneath.
  • Graceful leap-and-adjust when playing above the rim.
  • Gets to full extension for sudden grabs with large, strong hands.
  • Phone booth wiggle after the catch.

See the similarities? 

BTW, Jahan has longer arms and bigger hands then Djax does. So not sure where you are getting the freakish measurables from.

Edited by zCommander
  • Thumb up 1

2 drops in 138 targets 

Love this guy. As a PSU fan, I watched nearly every game. Playmaker. Absolutely electric. Really happy we were able to add a 3rd and 4th and still land one of the 1st round WRs. 

For everyone making the Doctson comments. Ok, we get it. Similar name. I assure you they are nothing alike on the field. 

This guy had like 3 different  offensive coordinators and his best QB was a mediocre Sean Clifford. He got better every year. It's incredible what he managed to do his last year. You can line him up anywhere on the field and he can return punts. 

Really looking forward to seeing him this fall.

Edited by duffy
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Highlights are sick, compared to Tyler Lockett, and a see a lot of Santana Moss’ game too. His quickness in space, playing big for his size, his leaping ability and contested catches are all fun to watch.

I’m concerned with his ability to get off press, but if he can get better at that I like the pick after trading down.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Okay so you made me look up Djax scouting report... this is what Dotson can do as well except for the sprinter speed of course. 

Has just adequate strength to fight for tough catches, but shows the sudden burst to elude in the open field...While he has sprinter's speed, it is not like that of a normal track man, as he has a rapid stride with quick feet and the lateral agility to get in and out of a crowd with his flexible torso and hips that lets him adjust on the move...Highly motivated and intense player who works to finish and is not afraid of contact

Runs posts and slants cleanly and has a good understanding for stems, sticks and leverage (must improve transition)...Avoids defenders and works back to the pocket when the quarterback needs to scramble...Finds and sits in soft areas, waiting for the reception and has the rare speed to close the gap on off-man coverage, as he does a good job of extending and gaining a step for the over-the-shoulder grabs...Very creative on the move with fluid hips.

Has good ability to extend and pluck the ball outside his frame, especially on off motion and swing routes...Will round routes at times, but has the ability to create separation after the catch...Holds on to the ball after the collision and, while he will not hesitate on routes coming inside, he will lose focus when he hears the defender's feet...Is a true threat to challenge the deep secondary

Now this is Dotson:

• Instant acceleration to stem-and-go in his release.
  • Early juice creates earlier hip turn from coverage.
  • A single route can feature three-speed variance.
  • Slick and smooth on the move.
  • Talent to work all three levels of the field.
  • Potent second gear finding and maintaining deep-ball separation.
  • Agile, quick feet used on shake routes underneath.
  • Graceful leap-and-adjust when playing above the rim.
  • Gets to full extension for sudden grabs with large, strong hands.
  • Phone booth wiggle after the catch.

See the similarities? 

BTW, Jahan has longer arms and bigger hands then Djax does. So not sure where you are getting the freakish measurables from.

Thanks for the reply… saying “except the sprinter speed” is like comparing my 370z to a Civic.  It’s literally what made DJax different.  And his times were great but not world breakers, but if you watch play speed it’s clear.  He was a speed freak.  Acceleration, long speed, all of it.  I hope that’s not really up for debate.

I was wrong on the hand size.  I’ve had in my head for years and years DJax had 10 inch hands and I had that wrong.  My bad.  Nevertheless, speed.

So yeah, I guess I kinda see about loose hips and such, but I really like to keep it simple when looking at WRs.  Just put on the tape and it shouldn’t take long.  If there are special traits, they should leap off the screen.  Usually there aren’t; in fact, rarely.  Otherwise they wouldn’t be special.

Sometimes guys like Jefferson and Chase just obviously have everything.  Other times there is a specific trait that makes someone super special like DJax or Smitty.  Other times you have guys that do lots of things very well.  That’s where I’d put Dotson.  He could end up being elite and Washington have the best 1-2 punch in the league…but he just doesn’t have that leap off the screen thing that makes him special.”

If you want a reach comparison, I’d say Beckham as they have a lot of similarities, but OBJs 3 cone was insane and Dotson is nowhere near it.  So about those hips…

Anyway, it’s a fine pick and I think he will be a very good pro.  Not a superstar but could make a pro bowl or two given the right circumstances.  Don’t think he’s getting those here but enough support to more or less justify being a 1st.  Definitely not a bust imo.

• Thumb up 2