Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

Man, it is hilarious reading these armchair GM's who have zero scouting training and are insistent we blew this pick.  Jahan Dotson's last year in college was 91-1182-12.  Terry McLaurin's last year (and best year) in college was 35-701-11.

"But Forehead" you're whining "McLaurin was a 3rd rounder."  Yeah well, some of you were ****ing about it then regardless of where the pick was.  Shoot, I watch more Big 10 football than any other conference and even I wasn't sure who McLaurin was.  Ohio State that year had Haskins, a two headed rushing attack, and two wideouts with significantly higher stats than McLaurin.

McLaurin was the 12th receiver off the board in 2019, but is arguably anywhere from 1-3 that draft year depending on how you feel about some of the others.  He could have been taken at #15 overall instead of Haskins and this board would have melted down, but the Front office would have been right and no one would be ****ing about it now. 

Point is, most of you (myself included) don't know jack about ****.  Give him a few years before you crap all over him, he might just prove you wrong.

I swear things like this thread should be pinned and people not allowed to edit their posts after the fact.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I feel like Belichick is still under the delusion that he can draft pretty much anyone anywhere on offense and it will work out because he's still used to having Brady as his QB.

People always said he was such a brilliant draft guru because he constantly traded back, made unorthodox picks, and got production out of mid and late round picks on offense. But I think the truth of it is simply the fact that he had the greatest QB to ever play the game and Brady made everyone look about 3 times better than they actually were.

I think the "Bill Belichick is a genius" thing is going to go the way of the dodo over time. He has a pretty good QB in Jones, but I don't think he'll ever be more than that. He's definitely not good enough to make anyone else on offense look like an All Pro. 

He's an outstanding coach. As far as COACHING goes, he's still the GOAT. Especially on defense.

But he sucks when it comes to personnel. The Pats have been ass at drafting for the last several years. They're good in FA, mainly because they can get guys for cheap and Bellicheck coaches them up, and of course the Brady factor as well that you mentioned.

14 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Man, it is hilarious reading these armchair GM's who have zero scouting training and are insistent we blew this pick.  Jahan Dotson's last year in college was 91-1182-12.  Terry McLaurin's last year (and best year) in college was 35-701-11.

"But Forehead" you're whining "McLaurin was a 3rd rounder."  Yeah well, some of you were ****ing about it then regardless of where the pick was.  Shoot, I watch more Big 10 football than any other conference and even I wasn't sure who McLaurin was.  Ohio State that year had Haskins, a two headed rushing attack, and two wideouts with significantly higher stats than McLaurin.

McLaurin was the 12th receiver off the board in 2019, but is arguably anywhere from 1-3 that draft year depending on how you feel about some of the others.  He could have been taken at #15 overall instead of Haskins and this board would have melted down, but the Front office would have been right and no one would be ****ing about it now. 

Point is, most of you (myself included) don't know jack about ****.  Give him a few years before you crap all over him, he might just prove you wrong.

I swear things like this thread should be pinned and people not allowed to edit their posts after the fact.

Were many people really upset about a 3rd for Terry? I remember knowing who he was but hadn't watched much film of him so I was just sort of like *shrug* on the pick. I don't really remember many on here losing sleep over it. Most people figured he'd at least be a good special teams guy and possibly a capable 2nd or 3rd WR.

And let's be honest here...I don't think anyone really thought he'd be as good in the NFL as he is. Otherwise there's no way we would have waited until the 3rd to draft him. The reality is we mostly just got lucky. Yes I'm sure we did some good scouting and liked him, but only enough to spend a mid round pick on him. But luck was the main factor there.

I think Dotson was a bit of a reach but not a huge one, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I do like him and his skill set and he seems like a good kid so I'm hopeful that his game translates to the NFL.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's an outstanding coach. As far as COACHING goes, he's still the GOAT. Especially on defense.

But he sucks when it comes to personnel. The Pats have been ass at drafting for the last several years. They're good in FA, mainly because they can get guys for cheap and Bellicheck coaches them up, and of course the Brady factor as well that you mentioned.

I think he's a good coach, but overrated. IMO pretty much any decent coach will look amazing when they have Tom Brady as their QB. One thing I do think he's great at is scheming around the talent he has on defense as opposed to trying to fit square pegs into round holes. But otherwise I don't think he walks on water as a coach like some do.

7 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

I don't have anything against Dotson really, but damn if it doesn't seem like this current regime loves to reach for need in the first round.

At least they got a couple of extra 4th rounders this time, though. Never a bad thing, since no matter how informed people think they are....draft picks are lottery tickets in practice.

The only reason you think it's a reach is (most likely) because the draftniks all mocked him lower.  And that sets public perception.  But they don't have all the information, and they are often very wrong.  

I've always found the whole "reached" thing really silly.  Also the "they could have had him in the X round"  or "That's a bit too high for him" or my absolute favorite (which I heard yesterday) "He's flying up the draft boards!"

Says who?  There are exactly 32 evaluations which matter, and NOBODY they are all completely secret. You have absolutely no idea what the teams are actually thinking, because they'll never tell anybody the full truth.  They all put out misinformation as well.  

Nobody, and I mean absolutely NOBODY knows what the other 31 teams are going to do, and what grade they have on players, and if their grades differ from the mediots and draftniks.  

So the absolute best you can do is trust your evaluation and your board, and pick the guy with the best grade at the spot you're at.  Or entertain trades if you have a group of players who all have basically the same grade, so you can pick up assets.  

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Olave is also a tad faster. 0.04 seconds faster in the 40.

I'll add my snide remark to the other snide remarks: This is clearly statistically insignificant.

Also, it's in shorts and t-shirt on a track.  

When you add pads, helmet, the fact NOBODY ever runs 40 yards in a straight line, the .04 seconds matters not at all.  

2 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This REALLY jumped out when I watched videos of him...I mean, if I can notice it, anyone can lol.

Well, aren't you the guy with super skills picking things up? Didn't I ask you if you read satellite photography at one point? But it turns out you just edit ladies bits for the internet?  Unless I'm mixing you up with somebody, I think you're pretty observant.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

My issue was passing up on potential blue chippers like Hamilton and Williams and not playing the draft value game as well as some other teams. I still think our original plan was Olave/Williams/Hamilton at 16 and we made a bit of a panic move but it worked out because we still got a good player.

But at least we didn't take a G or something. Then I'd be irate.

I totally disagree.  If they wanted Hamilton/Olvave or Williams, they could have stayed put and taken any of them.  

They traded back 5 spots.  They must have had 6 guys they liked with about the same grade. 

Maybe THEY didn't think Hamilton was actually going to be a blue chipper (they might be wrong, but they might be right), had other issues with the other folks. 

1 hour ago, WilberMarshall said:

It is still a REACH!

See above. 

There's no way to know this.  None at all.  

56 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

My Patriot friends up here are LIVID with Belichick for reaching on the OG from Chattanooga. lol

They can go shove it up their butt holes and be happy they had a 20 year dynasty with 6 SB wins.  If the game has passed Bill by, fine, I don't care.  Talk to me if they suck for 25 years.  Until then, shut up. 

33 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Dotson wears #5.  Tress Way wears #5. I can feel the locker room tension already.

I think they need to have a cage fight and figure that out.  

Or, Tress can ask for "due compensation."  

(Or, more likely, Ron will decide.)

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I hated the McLaurin pick. But then again, I'm a moron.

And you NEVER make bold, negative predictions which NEVER come true in any thread about any topic.  EVER.  EVER EVER EVER.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'll add my snide remark to the other snide remarks: This is clearly statistically insignificant.

Also, it's in shorts and t-shirt on a track.  

When you add pads, helmet, the fact NOBODY ever runs 40 yards in a straight line, the .04 seconds matters not at all.  

Mmhmm. I know. 

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Join the club, buddy.

@mistertim will mail your membership card.

I'll be in contact for dues soon. 

Hey, awkward, but I tried sending my dues in again but you'd be shocked as to how much a shredder looks like a fax.

I wish you'd accept other than coins, this is getting both expensive and fire-hazardy.

34 minutes ago, Hazel-Ra said:

Does this guy move chains? I want more guys that move the chains.

That's the officiating crew, dumbass.

52 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Dotson wears #5.  Tress Way wears #5. I can feel the locker room tension already.

If Way's number hasn't already been retired, then that's my last straw.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Mmhmm. I know. 

I was trying to think of an analogy of things that don't matter.  Like maybe the size of Syndey Sweeney's feet.  I mean, who cares?  (As I type this, I am realizing there are probably people who care, and maybe Rex Ryan is one of them.  But overall, who really cares?)

6 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

That's the officiating crew, dumbass.

image.jpeg.65e4778567e7e13bda1e6c4c3a5da253.jpeg

• Haha 2

This pick will payoff if samuels stupid groin heals....mark my words....mclaurin samuel dotson and logan thomas to clean up???? Wentz can make things happen with this oh and btw two pretty good pass catching running backs to beef it up.

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Join the club, buddy.

@mistertim will mail your membership card.

I'll be in contact for dues soon. 

Wait...is this the Dotson club or the moron club? I just want to know which one I'm part of. Honestly, I'm probably worthy of holding a membership card in both.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Wait...is this the Dotson club or the moron club? I just want to know which one I'm part of. Honestly, I'm probably worthy of holding a membership card in both.

The fact that you're pretending you don't know should answer this question. 

You paid your dues months ago, though, so do the math Bub.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And let's be honest here...I don't think anyone really thought he'd be as good in the NFL as he is. Otherwise there's no way we would have waited until the 3rd to draft him. The reality is we mostly just got lucky. Yes I'm sure we did some good scouting and liked him, but only enough to spend a mid round pick on him. But luck was the main factor there.

No, my point was you can go back and re-draft 2019 and McLaurin could easily be off the board by pick 15, and this board would have had a meltdown in real time when it happened, but wouldn't be saying anything now.

No one has any idea whether Dotson will be the best, second best, or 30th best WR this draft year, but I see an awful lot of pronouncements that we made an awful choice.  And my point was, the people who are making all those posts don't know anything, they just don't have the self-awareness to realize it :)

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only reason you think it's a reach is (most likely) because the draftniks all mocked him lower.  And that sets public perception.  But they don't have all the information, and they are often very wrong.  

I've always found the whole "reached" thing really silly.  Also the "they could have had him in the X round"  or "That's a bit too high for him" or my absolute favorite (which I heard yesterday) "He's flying up the draft boards!"

Says who?  There are exactly 32 evaluations which matter, and NOBODY they are all completely secret. You have absolutely no idea what the teams are actually thinking, because they'll never tell anybody the full truth.  They all put out misinformation as well.  

Nobody, and I mean absolutely NOBODY knows what the other 31 teams are going to do, and what grade they have on players, and if their grades differ from the mediots and draftniks.  

So the absolute best you can do is trust your evaluation and your board, and pick the guy with the best grade at the spot you're at.  Or entertain trades if you have a group of players who all have basically the same grade, so you can pick up assets.  

I

By that logic, there's neither such a thing as a good value pick nor a reach in any draft. Which, fair enough, I get where you're coming from. Of course, it's all subjective. The whole concept of a reach is built on perception, there's no getting around that.

I think I, personally, would be happier if they chose to roll the dice and take Williams at 11 or trade all the way back to the 2nd (Detroit gave up three picks to take Williams at 12, and they've admitted they could've moved back from 16, as well). I won't even bring up Hamilton because it's fine with me if the positional value isn't there for them.

That's all subjective, as well. Nobody knows how any drafted player is gonna go. The only thing that we do know is that last year they really wanted a LB in the first, and they got one that was also a "reach". Didn't go that great. I think it's pretty reasonable to express doubt here.

That being said, I think Dotson is a far more polished prospect than Jamin Davis was. I can see why people compare him to Moss/Smith. I don't think he's as fast as Santana, or nearly as violent after the catch as Smith was, but I can see it. I question the value, not so much the player.

Rivera's a pretty good HC, I'd say....but the more time goes on, the more I doubt that he or his psuedo GMs are as skilled at roster management. There have been some real weird decisions.

• Like 1

Found some blurbs on Doc and figured I would share

• Jahan Dotson didn’t have the highest success rate vs. zone coverage among top prospects (that was actually Skyy Moore) but I’m giving best vs zone award anyway. Dotson’s 87.4% success rate vs. zone coverage was actually third behind Garrett Wilson but only by 0.2% and Dotson faced zone coverage at a much higher rate. Dotson has some downfield explosion to his game against man but his best trait is his ability to find the open lane in zone coverage at every level of the field. He should dominate in the slot and enjoy a long career as an ultra-reliable receiver.
  • Dotson was targeted on 34.2% of his charted routes and his 1.0% drop rate was the lowest among any prospect. In addition to that he ranked fourth in contested catch rate at 81.3%. You routinely see him adjust to off-target throws and make plays on passes outside of his frame. Dotson’s ability to defeat zone coverage, as noted above, and his vicegrip hands will make him a quarterback’s best friend quite quickly in the NFL.
  • Jahan Dotson actually only lined up inside on 19.2% of his sampled snaps so this is more of a pro projection. His ability to dominate zone coverage at all levels of the field and his strong reliable hands make him an easy bet to be a good slot receiver. The way he can bail out quarterbacks reminds me of Doug Baldwin.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I enjoy how angry people get over a .04 40 time, 1 inch in height or 5/6 spots in the draft, even though other teams were trying to trade up for him at the spot we took him.

For anyone claiming we drafted Dotson too high, I'd like them to find any draft from the past where we know how all the players have panned out (8+ years or so), and give an example of a player who was drafted mid first round that was a reach, but it would have totally been fine 6-8 picks later.  1st rounders are a mixed bag of studs, trash, and JAGS.   if he is a bust at 16, he would've been a bust at 24.  And pretending you could've traded back and been guaranteed dotson was still on the board is a waste of time.  If they really liked him, take him. Dotson definitely has his strengths, he fits a position of need, and was drafted in the appropriate range.  There is nothing to feel disappointed about.  

Personally, I was hoping for Lloyd, but considering he stayed on the board for 11 more picks, I'm gonna say the NFL guys probably have a better read on the situation than me.

• Like 2

I've come down off my initial distaste towards the pick.  I think it is a slight reach as some had him going in the 2nd round. 

I think the thing that bugged me the most is that I wanted Hamilton and...fine, we didn't get him.  We could have, but we didn't.  Okay, fine.  Either they wanted the extra picks and were gambling that Hamilton would be there at 16.  If he wasn't there at 16, I'm assuming they had 2 or 3 players they liked almost just as much.

Hamilton was looked at as a legit top 10 pick.  And who even really knows if he was someone we were considering or not.  But I don't think Dotson is the difference maker on offense that Hamilton would have been on defense.  That's was my initial issue.

All of that is to NOT say that Dotson doesn't seem like a really good dude.  He seems like an excellent guy.  Great hands from what I can see.  And it looks like he can shred a zone defense.  Here's hoping he and McLaurin are a dangerous 1-2 for years to come.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've come down off my initial distaste towards the pick.  I think it is a slight reach as some had him going in the 2nd round. 

I think the thing that bugged me the most is that I wanted Hamilton and...fine, we didn't get him.  We could have, but we didn't.  Okay, fine.  Either they wanted the extra picks and were gambling that Hamilton would be there at 16.  If he wasn't there at 16, I'm assuming they had 2 or 3 players they liked almost just as much.

Hamilton was looked at as a legit top 10 pick.  And who even really knows if he was someone we were considering or not.  But I don't think Dotson is the difference maker on offense that Hamilton would have been on defense.  That's was my initial issue.

All of that is to NOT say that Dotson doesn't seem like a really good dude.  He seems like an excellent guy.  Great hands from what I can see.  And it looks like he can shred a zone defense.  Here's hoping he and McLaurin are a dangerous 1-2 for years to come.  

For some perspective on rest of the league's picks, re: reaches

So yeah, not the biggest of the bunch.  I have zero problem with the take of "Hamilton is a better player and a bigger impact and you could have had him."  It's more irritating when the basis on bagging on the pick is rooted solely in the delta between the actual pick and the media mocks.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

So yeah, not the biggest of the bunch.  I have zero problem with the take of "Hamilton is a better player and a bigger impact and you could have had him."  It's more irritating when the basis on bagging on the pick is rooted solely in the delta between the actual pick and the media mocks.

My favorite is still bagging on the pick because his name sounds like Doctson.  :ols:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

But I think that's what mostly we as fans have to go on...media mocks and insights.  You read enough, you start to see patterns about where guys are selected and what people think of them.  There are some really great posters on here who I enjoy reading that watch a lot of games, watch a lot of tape and write really great stuff, too.  

Yep, certainly not the biggest reach of the bunch, and that's fine.  But IMO, it kind of goes hand in hand with Hamilton being the better player/difference maker and you could have had him.  Those things are kind of related to me....that Hamilton wasn't a reach at 11 but Dotson was at 16.  Sure, that statement doesn't take into account who we take with the 3rd and 4th rounders we picked up so this story hasn't been completely told yet.

• Thumb up 1