Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

36 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I cant believe we dont have the capability to launch a few missiles such that nobody would ever know it was us. 

How did that convoy get blown to smithereens?  Nobody knows. It just kinda happened. 

Russia does that kind of thing a lot.  Except everyone knows they did it.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Sure, what im saying is im surprised we haven’t developed technology to defeat that. To make it a mystery.  Seems like it would be useful. We made planes stealthy decades ago. 

Tomahawks are stealthy and can change directions (non-linear paths).  Tracking a Tomahawk and most cruise missiles back to its source is not very practical.

Drones have changed things too.  Also stealthy and can move and fire missiles.

The only good way  of tracking a small missile back to where it came from is simple is if you have reasonably good data where it came from, it came from something that can't move (or at least not quickly), and the missile can't change paths.  Otherwise you end up at a spot and nothing is there.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

That's what I'm confused about....can't we just 'add' some more of those Turkish made drones to the war and man them ourselves and say they were piloted by the Ukrainians? 

Pretty sure that would constitute a war crime.

That would not be too much different then the Russians that were captured trying to infiltrate wearing Ukrainian gear.

Edited by FootballZombie

Is there any version of Putin pulling troops back and remaining the leader of Russia?  It seems unlikely.

We will likely need a coup to accomplish that, and before everyone cheers at that, coups don’t necessarily result in better leaders.

The most likely source for the start of the coup is the military…. Right?

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

I’ve been wondering for a day or so.

We know putin has been working on a stash to wait out Western sanctions. But that amount isn’t huge by a countries standards. Maybe a years worth of gdp?

it’s not nearly enough to rebuild his military AND prop his economy.

russian jets don’t cost what an F-22, F-35, or even an F-15 does, but an su35 is still $30-40 million to build. I have no idea what a new tank costs. How is putin thinking he’s going to replace all of this hardware he losing? He’s eviscerating his military with no way to heal the wound.

Did china promise to bankroll the rebuild? Did he think Scrooge mcduck had his vault in Kyiv and all he needed to do was go get it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

I’ve been wondering for a day or so.

We know putin has been working on a stash to wait out Western sanctions. But that amount isn’t huge by a countries standards. Maybe a years worth of gdp?

it’s not nearly enough to rebuild his military AND prop his economy.

russian jets don’t cost what an F-22, F-35, or even an F-15 does, but an su35 is still $30-40 million to build. I have no idea what a new tank costs. How is putin thinking he’s going to replace all of this hardware he losing? He’s eviscerating his military with no way to heal the wound.

Did china promise to bankroll the rebuild? Did he think Scrooge mcduck had his vault in Kyiv and all he needed to do was go get it?

I don’t think China wanted this….

58 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I feel like there’s all this talk about how badly Russia is ****ing up yet they’re probably just going to walk right into Kyiv and destroy the resistance with relative ease.

Assaulting a city and winning in urban combat is one of the hardest things to do militarily. There’s a pretty good article on the US Army’s findings after the siege of Mosul here for those interested:

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Journals/Military-Review/English-Edition-Archives/Jan-Feb-2019/Arnold-Mosul/

These are their five main lessons from the article:

• It is impossible to isolate a modern city.
  • Difficulty increases with depth and duration.
  • Attackers lose the initiative once they enter the city.
  • Dense urban terrain enhances sustainment.
  • Operational reach is proportional to population support.

Russia has the disadvantage on all 5 points. They have shown minimal competence conducting operations so far, I think this will be anything but easy for them. 

• Like 2

Can I just say, Democrat or Republican, I really hate the whole thing where the audience (at least on the Presidents side) constantly stands and claps with every point made.  Just shut up and let the speech finish.  And the USA chant?

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Can I just say, Democrat or Republican, I really hate the whole thing where the audience (at least on the Presidents side) constantly stands and claps with every point made.  Just shut up and let the speech finish.  And the USA chant?

I’d like to go back to doing it from the Oval for this very reason.

• Like 3

Not the same column being discussed previously but hopefully that column will be next:

Enemy column destroyed in Mykolaiv Region consisted of 800 vehicles

An enemy column of military vehicles, which was destroyed by the Ukrainian air forces, military and territorial defense units near the city of Bashtanka, Mykolaiv Region, consisted of 800 vehicles.

The relevant statement was made by Dnipropetrovsk Regional Council Head Mykola Lukashuk on his Facebook page, an Ukrinform correspondent reports.

“In the afternoon, we received information about the Russian military column, moving towards Kryvyi Rih from Bashtanka and consisting of about 800 wheeled vehicles. Our defenders reacted immediately, preventing the enemy from entering Dnipropetrovsk Region. The column was attacked from the air; the occupiers were hit hard,” the report states.

Mykolaiv Regional Military Administration Head Vitalii Kim noted on Telegram that, during this operation, the Ukrainian military lost just one helicopter, and its pilots managed to survive.

A reminder that, on March 1, 2022, the Russian military attempted to capture Mykolaiv from Bashtanka District. The enemy shelled the bypass road with the Grad multiple rocket launcher systems (MRLS), having caused seven fires.

• Thumb up 1